Left field, but could Lunny make a striker ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It just occurred to me after watching his goals and realising what good feet he has, and how calm he is in front of goal. I reckon he could play up front you know.
Thoughts ?

I don't think that would be his strength tbh. I think he enjoys going backwards with the ball too much. To me, a good striker is wired differently and has an urgency to go towards goal, almost as if the goal is a magnet and is sucking him into it. I don't see that with Lunny - and that's not a criticism of him - I think he's more of a midfielder, albeit a good box to box athlete with a cool head in front of goal.

Fuck it, let's go all out: we can stick McBurnie in goal on account of him being tall, the girl who runs the ticket office can manage the team, Wilder and Knill can sell programs on the corner of Bramall Lane and Cherry Street, Baldock can wear a high-vis jacket and check people's bags at a turnstile and we'll get the tea lady in as a striker.

Fuck it, let's go all out: we can stick McBurnie in goal on account of him being tall, the girl who runs the ticket office can manage the team, Wilder and Knill can sell programs on the corner of Bramall Lane and Cherry Street, Baldock can wear a high-vis jacket and check people's bags at a turnstile and we'll get the tea lady in as a striker.
Is that a yes or a no then ?

Don’t be ridiculous, the tea lady is better suited as a holding midfielder. How you cant see that is beyond me

wednesday converted Paul Warhurst from defensive midfield to makeshift forward and he scored 18 in 2 seasons so its not too far fetched

Chris Sutton did the same around that period too with great success

His goals have come when he is running into the penalty area, and his finishing has been good. Would he be ok with his back to goal, or turning a defender? My guess is that he is best doing what he does now, but he has been good in front of goal this season.

Should have rewarded Bash's chest, Cruyff turn and sublime cut back though.

Good point. If he was trying to impress Wilder then he didn't get off to a great start.

I would've expected the BT guys to have been drooling over that particular piece of play by Basham.

George had a similar one in the second half, taking it on his chest.

I got absolutely pasted a few months ago for suggesting he could do the RCB role.

People get so distracted by positions and not attributes.

FWIW I think yes he could play up front. Probably not as this level though. He’s strong, quick, eye for goal. However, he hasn’t really got the silky nature to drop into the hole like a bergkamp or Mcgoldrick, and he hasn’t really got the deadly finishing ability and selfishness to play as the Henry or Sharp. I’d still quite like to see it happen though.

I really want to try and fit Norwood, Fleck, Berge and Lundstram in the same 11 but aside from some sort of midfield diamond or Lundstram at RCB I can’t really see how they can.

I thought we realised Wilder doesn’t put square pegs in round holes.

Maybe. It's very different running from deep to support an attack and actually leading the line and playing with your back to the goal though. Let's not find out.

Don't think he would, his strength and where his goals come from are arriving late, or runs from deep.

The goal v Palace 1st game of the season was typical of what he does every game he plays.

It just occurred to me after watching his goals and realising what good feet he has, and how calm he is in front of goal. I reckon he could play up front you know.
Thoughts ?
Completely different role and would be a waste of his energy

He’d make a decent RCB though...

Player can score goals = player can play up front

Sound logic.

Personally think lunny is best suited to the role of supporting / attacking midfielder, sort of let the strikers occupy the defenders and he finds the space to arrive late in the box and score .. funny enough John Fleck might suit that role too..

Nope - he doesn't have Billys 6 yard box mentality and instinct to be a full time forward.

What he does have, and where older fans will remember is players such as Terry McDermott and Ray Kennedy - they had the knack of getting beyond strikers and getting on the end of things.

UTB

Talking about multi position players think the best player in the world must be

John Charles- world class striker and world class central defender.
I believe I few years back he was voted by Juventus fans as their 2nd best ever import behind Platini,

Rudd Gullit- work class striker, excellent midfielder and eventually ended up an excellent central defender.

Back
Top Bottom