Foreign players

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

PeterNdlovu081

COCK PISS PARTRIDGE
Reaction score
Are we the only club in England who doesn't have any foreign players in our squad?

By foreign I mean not English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh.

pretty sure that was true during the last League 1 season...certainly the highest ranked club in the pyramid thats all UK born players

Are any of our thusfar uncapped players claiming exotic heritage?

I like how many of our players are from the North.

Obviously we'll have foreign players in the future and I'm not against it at all, but there's definitely an added dimension of enjoyment from having the lads playing for United being the same kind of lads you grew up with.

Are any of our thusfar uncapped players claiming exotic heritage?

Billy Sharp has been trying to catch the attention of the China head coach by running the channels with his eye lids stretched.

s95YycTUlMFz.gif

I like how many of our players are from the North.

Obviously we'll have foreign players in the future and I'm not against it at all, but there's definitely an added dimension of enjoyment from having the lads playing for United being the same kind of lads you grew up with.
I love being Northern, but wouldn't want the logical conclusion of this to be that to play for the Blades you have to be born within the sound of St Mary's bells!

I love being Northern, but wouldn't want the logical conclusion of this to be that to play for the Blades you have to be born within the sound of St Mary's bells!

Can you imagine deadline day, going round players houses with a parabolic microphone listening on the hour.

We'd get even less across the line haha

British based players have similar values to what we are trying to build as a team.

On average the Spanish players are more technical etc but we have a style of play that suits our players. Then we bring in players that suit our style and it will just continue round.

As long as the players have the right ability and attitude, I don't care where they're from. It is always nice to have a few local players in the side, of course, as I think fans feel more of an affinity with them.

This even got picked up on by Italian (Gazetta Dello Sport no less) and Spanish press last season.

The Italian article was glowing in its praise of a largely domestically assembled squad put together for relative peanuts and punching above its weight in its first season back in the Championship with Unitedites in the manager's and captain's positions.

The Spanish journalist was less enthusiastic, basically branding us Brexit FC and hinting that we were nudging the boundaries of xenophobia with our approach :D. If we go up this season I'll dig out the thread and drop him a line.

Does it make our style of football less attractive ?

The Spanish journalist was less enthusiastic, basically branding us Brexit FC and hinting that we were nudging the boundaries of xenophobia with our approach :D. If we go up this season I'll dig out the thread and drop him a line.

I'd like to see that article if you can link it.

I'd like to know what his opinion is on Athletic Bilbao's player policy.

I'd like to see that article if you can link it.

I'd like to know what his opinion is on Athletic Bilbao's player policy.

It was first picked up on here on this thread:
https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/spanish-newspaper-slags-blades-over-brexit.58020/

Which picked it up from here:
http://sportwitness.co.uk/spanish-n...field-united-club-brexit-also-slams-investor/

The original (and slightly bizarre) article is here:
https://www.lavanguardia.com/deport...field-united-jugadores-britanicos-brexit.html

British based players have similar values to what we are trying to build as a team.

On average the Spanish players are more technical etc but we have a style of play that suits our players. Then we bring in players that suit our style and it will just continue round.
I think it’s more simple than that. Due diligence. If they want to know about a British player, or one playing in the British leagues, they’ll know someone who knows him and can phone them up and ask, find out what he’s like as a person, is he a good character who’ll fit in. It’s much harder to do that if the player is Serbian, or even French or Dutch.

Wilder follows the Shankly doctrine of ‘sign good people’. That’s why we’re unlikely to sign a Djilobodji.

Its always nice to have good British players as Kevin is better at selling them.

Back
Top Bottom