Dewhurst scores last minute equaliser against Spain

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's "an interesting fact" that Marcus was in fact an attacking outfield player when he was in Hull City's Academy system, only trying out as a keeper when he was 14.

(Report from May 2018)
"Dewhurst, who joined the Blades after a spell as a scholar at Hull City, was an outfield player up until the age of 14 but having moved between the sticks, he is keen to grasp his potential U17 Euro opportunity with two very safe hands.

“I used to play as a striker and in central midfield – it wasn’t working out!” said Dewhurst, who went to South Hunsley School in Melton.

“I kept being told that I should try going in goal because whenever my keeper was injured, I’d go in and I used to enjoy it.

“I got scouted within the first five months of playing in goal.

Sprints faster than his forwards!

Ball_Sup (Phil) is he a decent goalkeeping prospect then? Must be half decent to be playing for England U18's
As forum readers might know, being asked about "a prospect" sends a shiver through my liver. It's one thing to know whether he's playing OK & another thing altogether to judge whether he has a future. Here's what I usually say about Marcus....

Get there early, for his kicking warm ups, if he slices one, get ready, definitely the best swearer at the Club (currently).
Be a bit careful of this Young England stuff, but he is off the same production line as former Young England players George Long & Aaron Ramsdale.
He's young, but he has developed physically, leaner & taller.
It feels like you can sometimes see the old outfield player in him, a bit unconventional at times. Stops it with his feet. And, you always feel he's got a walkabout in him.
Not got a bad all round game, but I see him more as a shotstopper than an area controller.
I like the kid.....

As forum readers might know, being asked about "a prospect" sends a shiver through my liver. It's one thing to know whether he's playing OK & another thing altogether to judge whether he has a future. Here's what I usually say about Marcus....

Get there early, for his kicking warm ups, if he slices one, get ready, definitely the best swearer at the Club (currently).
Be a bit careful of this Young England stuff, but he is off the same production line as former Young England players George Long & Aaron Ramsdale.
It feels like you can sometimes see the old outfield player in him, a bit unconventional at times. Stops it with his feet. And, you always feel he's got a walkabout in him.
Not got a bad all round game, but I see him more as a shotstopper than an area controller.
I like the kid.....

Loudness, or creativity?

Loudness, or creativity?
That, my friend, is the sort of question that keeps me alive. The most notable thing is something more like "immediateness & spontaneity". It's almost involuntary. Loudness - yes, he's got that. But, it's more the simplicity & consistency than creativity.

Another aside, Marcus's Dad is Rob Dewhurst who played for a number of clubs & made nearly 200 appearances for Hull City.

I like the kid.....
Yeah i appreciate that you don't like to comment too much on the future of a talent, but i do have a lot of respect for your comments on players. So it was more to get a gauge of how he's doing so far.

That, my friend, is the sort of question that keeps me alive. The most notable thing is something more like "immediateness & spontaneity". It's almost involuntary. Loudness - yes, he's got that. But, it's more the simplicity & consistency than creativity.

Another aside, Marcus's Dad is Rob Dewhurst who played for a number of clubs & made nearly 200 appearances for Hull City.

Was going to ask that.

It's an old work colleagues Nephew then :)

Sprints faster than his forwards!

I noticed that! They couldn't catch him, :)

Well done young man, it's a cruel profession to make it in, so many are disgarded along the way but good luck to him let's hope he's one of the fortunate ones.

He was never at Hull City’s academy, he went to the sessions where they have a look but he was never signed by them.
He played for his local Hessle Sporting team all the way until he went in goal then transferred elsewhere as they already had a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom