Matchday 3 Graphs – Another Last-Minute Disappointment!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ucandomagic

Reaction score
A 2-1 defeat to Citeh which could, and probably should, have been worse - but again, like against Forest, still disappointing to have come so close to getting a point.

George let Grealish get outside him just the once, but that was enough for Haaland to head in from a good foot above JLT et al.

Kyle decided to have a Bladey back heel in his own box, which ended with Jayden looking to have made Hecky’s substitution seem inspired.

However, at the death Larouci showed yet again that he doesn’t understand the word defend, but even then Foden’s miscontrol went straight to Rodri - if Foden had controlled it we’d probably still have been OK.

I guess if both Walker and Larouci had behaved like responsible defenders it would have finished 1-0, with less disappointment.

Traore looks promising running with the ball, but off the ball his work is as unseen as Dean Hammond’s. We looked loads more threatening when Oli Mac came on - and Traore looked much more comfortable then as well. Hamer and Souza looked very solid.

So Graph 1 is a plot that compares our progress against our last 2 Prem seasons and against my benchmark results to achieve 38 points, and probable survival. My benchmark takes account of who our opponents are each week – the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons are the results from the same game day – not the same opponents. On Graph 1 you can see that we are still just 2 points behind my 38 point survival benchmark results. However, my benchmark results have us beating Everton, so next Saturday is important if we are to stay in touch.

Graph 1:
Matchday 3 - Survival Graph.jpg

Graph 2 plots our progress against the best seasons from each of the previous 4 periods that I have watched the Blades in the top flight. The early seasons have been modified to account for 3 point wins and 20 teams. I have used the actual results against the top 19 teams in each of those years. We’re still in touch with the Warnock and Bassett best seasons, but drifting behind the best seasons that Wilder and Furphy produced.

Graph 2:
Matchday 3 Best Prem Comparison.jpg

After last week I was asked by a few pessimists to plot a comparison against our worst Top Tier seasons, as well as the above Graph 2 best comparison. The worst 2 seasons that I have experienced were 75/76 with Furphy/Sirrel and 20/21 with Wilder and Hecky. So Graph 3 makes that comparison. Again, for 75/76 I’ve used the results against the top 19 teams that year and converted to 3 points for a win. Key points from those earlier seasons are that we had the equivalent of 3 points from 20 equivalent games in 75/76 and 2 points from 17 games in 20/21!

We know how to suffer!

Graph 3:

Matchday 3 Worst Prem Comparison.jpg

Finally the League Table – which still shows us above the drop zone. Although it seems a bit of a joke to say that when you have no points, our position is a reflection that we have only lost all 3 games by a single goal.

League Table:
Matchday 3 - Table.jpg

I enjoyed today – and had a really good chat in the Sheaf before the game with a group of very knowledgeable and reasonable Citeh fans. They knew where Billy and Iliman had gone to and said that we would definitely be more competitive with Cameron Archer on the pitch.

So roll on September 2nd, and hopefully a game that we can dominate. I’m having a cataract op on Tuesday, so maybe I’ll see things more clearly next week!

UTB & Slava Ukraini

A 2-1 defeat to Citeh which could, and probably should, have been worse - but again, like against Forest, still disappointing to have come so close to getting a point.

George let Grealish get outside him just the once, but that was enough for Haaland to head in from a good foot above JLT et al.

Kyle decided to have a Bladey back heel in his own box, which ended with Jayden looking to have made Hecky’s substitution seem inspired.

However, at the death Larouci showed yet again that he doesn’t understand the word defend, but even then Foden’s miscontrol went straight to Rodri - if Foden had controlled it we’d probably still have been OK.

I guess if both Walker and Larouci had behaved like responsible defenders it would have finished 1-0, with less disappointment.

Traore looks promising running with the ball, but off the ball his work is as unseen as Dean Hammond’s. We looked loads more threatening when Oli Mac came on - and Traore looked much more comfortable then as well. Hamer and Souza looked very solid.

So Graph 1 is a plot that compares our progress against our last 2 Prem seasons and against my benchmark results to achieve 38 points, and probable survival. My benchmark takes account of who our opponents are each week – the 19/20 and 20/21 seasons are the results from the same game day – not the same opponents. On Graph 1 you can see that we are still just 2 points behind my 38 point survival benchmark results. However, my benchmark results have us beating Everton, so next Saturday is important if we are to stay in touch.

Graph 1:
View attachment 169492

Graph 2 plots our progress against the best seasons from each of the previous 4 periods that I have watched the Blades in the top flight. The early seasons have been modified to account for 3 point wins and 20 teams. I have used the actual results against the top 19 teams in each of those years. We’re still in touch with the Warnock and Bassett best seasons, but drifting behind the best seasons that Wilder and Furphy produced.

Graph 2:
View attachment 169493

After last week I was asked by a few pessimists to plot a comparison against our worst Top Tier seasons, as well as the above Graph 2 best comparison. The worst 2 seasons that I have experienced were 75/76 with Furphy/Sirrel and 20/21 with Wilder and Hecky. So Graph 3 makes that comparison. Again, for 75/76 I’ve used the results against the top 19 teams that year and converted to 3 points for a win. Key points from those earlier seasons are that we had the equivalent of 3 points from 20 equivalent games in 75/76 and 2 points from 17 games in 20/21!

We know how to suffer!

Graph 3:

View attachment 169494

Finally the League Table – which still shows us above the drop zone. Although it seems a bit of a joke to say that when you have no points, our position is a reflection that we have only lost all 3 games by a single goal.

League Table:
View attachment 169495

I enjoyed today – and had a really good chat in the Sheaf before the game with a group of very knowledgeable and reasonable Citeh fans. They knew where Billy and Iliman had gone to and said that we would definitely be more competitive with Cameron Archer on the pitch.

So roll on September 2nd, and hopefully a game that we can dominate. I’m having a cataract op on Tuesday, so maybe I’ll see things more clearly next week!

UTB & Slava Ukraini
Thanks for this - interesting even at this very early stage of the season. Good luck with the cataract procedure.

The fuckness of it made it the biggest bastard for me.. It was crying out for some shit and it didn't go down. Many positives tho. I'm cool with shit.

Graph 1:
View attachment 169492

Graph 2:
View attachment 169493

We know how to suffer!

Graph 3:

View attachment 169494

League Table:
View attachment 169495

UTB & Slava Ukraini
Great work Graphman.

I think everybody’s gone to bed sulking tonight.

Does Kyle get an assist for our goal?

Attachments

• IMG_2459.jpeg
    IMG_2459.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1
Cheers for this ucandomagic

Any chance of a graph tracking average goals per game vs previous premier league seasons (should be 0.66 currently)

And possibly also average goals conceded per game vs prev seasons (should currently be 1.66)

Not sure how easy it would be for you to track how those averages fluctuated from game to game on previous seasons tho.

I can sum it up in a much easier way.

Games Played 3
Points 0

Any other statistics and graphs are pointless while one of these numbers remains on 0.

Good effort though.

I can sum it up in a much easier way.

Games Played 3
Points 0

Any other statistics and graphs are pointless while one of these numbers remains on 0.

Good effort though.
Don’t know if you meant it - or if it was an accidental joke - but saying the graphs are “pointless” (ie “no points”) is a precise statement at the moment!!

In reality, though, the reason that I enjoy ucdm’s graphs is that they put our current situation in clear context with past seasons and where we are against current realistic targets.

UTB & FTP

Back
Top Bottom