Are fans starting to side with the Prince over CW?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To be fair the prince up to now has been a cracking owner ,he's not knee jerk ,and definitely wants us to develop ,Chris seems to be having a Mardy attack for whatever reason when at every other club he would have been removed . Let's all bat on together utb
People seem to forget that the alternative to the Prince was Kevin McCabe. Do people honestly believe McCabe would have backed Wilder with the same funds as the Prince has? Can’t see it myself.

The Prince obviously is one of the least wealthy owners in the Premier League with the added burden of still being yet to purchase the clubs assets but for all this talk Wilder has about keeping the club financially stable, he seems intent on forcing the boards hand in certain situations.

It’s not necessarily a case of taking sides imo but there does seem to be a militant defence of Wilder on all aspects from certain sections of our fanbase. Whatever is going on behind the scenes has to be a two way street. I can’t believe that Wilder would be so naive as to force the Prince into spending money he doesn’t have so I can only presume that he’s been promised something he hasn’t got. My guess would be that he didn’t get the funds promised in January but it’s no surprise that the Prince would have been reluctant to front up any more funds given the position we are in.

That may of course all be bollocks but that’s my take reading between the lines. We don’t hear a lot from the Prince but what we do hear is good imo, I used to say the same about Wilder but his tantrums in the press about finances are starting to wear thin.

Its a fucking rollercoaster ..were on the way down ......but we will be on the way up in no time
Never dull being a blade ...

People seem to forget that the alternative to the Prince was Kevin McCabe. Do people honestly believe McCabe would have backed Wilder with the same funds as the Prince has? Can’t see it myself.

The Prince obviously is one of the least wealthy owners in the Premier League with the added burden of still being yet to purchase the clubs assets but for all this talk Wilder has about keeping the club financially stable, he seems intent on forcing the boards hand in certain situations.

It’s not necessarily a case of taking sides imo but there does seem to be a militant defence of Wilder on all aspects from certain sections of our fanbase. Whatever is going on behind the scenes has to be a two way street. I can’t believe that Wilder would be so naive as to force the Prince into spending money he doesn’t have so I can only presume that he’s been promised something he hasn’t got. My guess would be that he didn’t get the funds promised in January but it’s no surprise that the Prince would have been reluctant to front up any more funds given the position we are in.

That may of course all be bollocks but that’s my take reading between the lines. We don’t hear a lot from the Prince but what we do hear is good imo, I used to say the same about Wilder but his tantrums in the press about finances are starting to wear thin.
He's purchased the assets 👍

Well either way I think it’s still likely to impact how much he has had available for player recruitment.
There's only so much in the pot ,after wages and club running costs ,and remember we've took no government money to furlough.

Let me think: the man who brought in untold wealth to the club on a shoestring or a man who we hasn't shown us the colour of his money yet? Hard one. I'll start judging the Prince in 23/24 when the first two years of significant parachute payments have run out. There's very little to support or be angry at at this moment. He's run the club from a proportion of the Premier League riches. Wilder's record speaks for itself. Those who are unequivocally backing the Prince - particularly over Wilder - are very easily pleased.

Last edited:
I really fail to see where people draw comparisons between us and Norwich. Norwich had basically accepted relegation was a real possibility before the season started last year.

The spine of our promotion squad was far too old to take the Norwich blueprint as we’d got promoted so quickly. We spent big compared to Norwich and saw the rewards of that in the short-term.

It’s only in the last few months where we’ve fucked our recruitment up that people have decided we’re doing the Norwich model. Over the last 2 seasons we have spent more than at any other period in the clubs history with the intention of staying in the Premier League.

Norwich had substantial debts due to gambling when they last went up. The debts have now been settled with the owners. United have never got close to that gamble under CW/AK. Our investments have been funded from PL revenues.

Not like a Sheffield United manager to walk around with a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp because he feels the board hasn't backed him. Even when they have

If we sell our best players we haven't a preyer of getting back this sou Ds like our last pl and we ended up in league 1

Let me think: the man who brought in untold wealth to the club on a shoestring or a man who we hasn't shown us the colour of his money yet? Hard one. I'll start judging the Prince in 23/24 when the first two years of significant parachute payments have run out. There's very little to support or be angry at at this moment. He's run the club from a proportion of the Premier League riches. Wilder's record speaks for itself. Those who are unequivocally backing the Prince - particularly over Wilder - are very easily pleased.

I thought the Prince shared the financial burden during our time in League 1. You think McCabe wouldn't have called it all off if the Prince wasn't paying his way?

I thought the Prince shared the financial burden during our time in League 1. You think McCabe wouldn't have called it all off if the Prince wasn't paying his way?

Yes, that was in the original contract. He got the shares by "investing" a sum of money to underwrite the running costs. At the conclusion of the contractual terms they then shared, by Championship standards, a small burden until the conclusion of the court case as they were 50/50 owners. The question that we may find out is whether he's prepared to underwrite large losses himself, which are almost inevitable post parachute payment - particularly if we are to be competitive with the top six. That's something that none of us knows, as we have zero evidence either way. My POV with the Prince, is that he's been OK so far, but I'll reserve judgement until the Prem money dries up and he continues backing us; or he starts investing large sums of his personal capital in the prem.

Last edited:

We're at an awkward juncture right now.

I get the impression that the Prince would favour having a structure in place where the Manager plays more of a Head Coach role and it is the structure which gives stability. This is what Barnsley have.

The issue he has is that the current incumbent has done rather well in recent times and is not open to this type of model.

I can see both sides. Who at Barnsley is complaining? They have their model, Head Coaches are hired on that basis and certainly for the past 2 or 3 managers this has worked well.

But this isn't what the current manager signed up for. When Villas-Boas lost Bale and he was replaced with a lot of players such as Salgado who simply were not up to it, was it really his fault when results didn't follow? He lost his job for that but it was Comoli's crap signings that contributed.

My sense is that the Prince will try and keep Chris inside as long as he can. At some point it will be clear that money just isn't there for some of Chris' ambitions and then he has a choice to make. But having now taken a relegation, Chris also has to own the fall out. He also has to be able to trade. He might want to keep Rammers and Berge especially as the former is showing some form but once you start getting offered say 50m for the pair (I hope more) then that gives some leeway to reshape the squad. You can't just buy, buy, buy and since Brooks left, this is pretty much what we've done.

Whenever Chris leaves, which I hope will be a long time in the future, I can see the Prince, if he is still in charge, putting a new model in place.

We're at an awkward juncture right now.

I get the impression that the Prince would favour having a structure in place where the Manager plays more of a Head Coach role and it is the structure which gives stability. This is what Barnsley have.

The issue he has is that the current incumbent has done rather well in recent times and is not open to this type of model.

I can see both sides. Who at Barnsley is complaining? They have their model, Head Coaches are hired on that basis and certainly for the past 2 or 3 managers this has worked well.

But this isn't what the current manager signed up for. When Villas-Boas lost Bale and he was replaced with a lot of players such as Salgado who simply were not up to it, was it really his fault when results didn't follow? He lost his job for that but it was Comoli's crap signings that contributed.

My sense is that the Prince will try and keep Chris inside as long as he can. At some point it will be clear that money just isn't there for some of Chris' ambitions and then he has a choice to make. But having now taken a relegation, Chris also has to own the fall out. He also has to be able to trade. He might want to keep Rammers and Berge especially as the former is showing some form but once you start getting offered say 50m for the pair (I hope more) then that gives some leeway to reshape the squad. You can't just buy, buy, buy and since Brooks left, this is pretty much what we've done.

Whenever Chris leaves, which I hope will be a long time in the future, I can see the Prince, if he is still in charge, putting a new model in place.
Nobody knows what CW’s future ambitions are and whether he has had offers from elsewhere.

I don’t think the rest of the elite football world will be yet convinced to offer him a better paid job where he has a budget of £240 million to spend on players.

Barnsley and Norwich successes come and go with the lessons to learn is not to do doing anything rash when there’s no money to spend. Other than that lesson, Sheffield United should keep heir own identity.

Rather than hit the bottomless pit jackpot, there will be more likely to be a continuous challenge to keep hold of our best players particularly when the best of our stalwart players lose their peak performance and even Chris Wilder leaves for a better deal elsewhere.

If the Prince makes the right decisions and backs whoever is in charge to make us a competitive club at whichever level we're at then I'm ok with him. At PL level we haven't been competitive so he's either not aware of what is required or doesn't have the wealth to sustain us at that level. I'm quite ambivalent to him at the moment but if he starts criticising the manager in public (or using his puppets to do so) then my opinion will change.

Wilder has pulled rabbits out of hats for the last few seasons and as a fan and someone who I think has the clubs' best interests at heart I'll back him. If he doesn't do that then my opinion will change.

we have to keep wilder 1st thing. we spent many years knowing that with hindsight we shouldve stuck with warnock & we wouldve been back & couldn't build something. so lets not do that again

for whatever reason we cant afford premier league wages. not risking the financial of the club is important & in pandemic with much reduced revenue its understandable. but the good thing of that is we shouldnt need a firesale. like many have to balance the books

It's difficult to have an opinion when we don't know what is being said and done behind closed doors. No manager in my time (been going since 1971) has had the backing Chris has had, so the Prince has to be applauded for that. It's all gone a bit quiet from the board in the last few month which does raise concerns on how we're going to be financed going forward. I'm glad we've got the extra season of parachute money. Chris does wear his heart on his sleeve and that comes across with his comments. i'm hoping they're going to kiss and make up as they did at the end of 2017/18 season.

Firstly let me be clear, I love Chris Wilder. The best moments and the best football I've witnessed at the lane have been under him. I could never thank the guy enough.

But as the season has worn on, and Chris has become increasingly disgruntled about our setup and hinting his future might be elsewhere, is it not time he appreciates the club have stuck by him this season (and rightly so). The Premier League is cut throat and every manager in our predicament has been sacked, and most managers in a relegation zone are fired. It is a huge relief that the Prince has stuck by him and I don't think our owner can be at fault for anything thus far.

We have done the right thing to keep Chris as he is the right man if we are back in the Championship (and it means more to us as fans with him being in charge). But he HAS had big money to spend, maybe not on wages, but in comparison to what Daniel Farke had to work with at Norwich he's had something to work with.

Rome wasn't built in a day and surely he realizes it's not anybody's fault we have risen too quickly and in this position. Every club which goes down whether its Bournemouth or whoever have to sell some stars to keep things ticking over and he can't expect us to be any different. You can understand Chris being ambitious and we love that about him, but he only needs to look at history to see where the club has been for years, and what sort of monumental shift he needs to get things moving in the right direction long term.

What do people think? Is anybody else starting to lean towards and sympathize with the Prince and wish Chris would take a bit more responsibility for this season as well as acknowledging who we are and being more positive about the future?
Well just look at the poll that should answer your question . It is the usual noisy minority we hear

£10-15m spent on players in the 2-3 seasons before we even got to the Prem.

Compared to about £2-3m spent by McCabe in his last 10-15 years.

The prince has been a breath of fresh air and backed wilder massively even falling out with mcabe to put more in, 1 things for sure wilder would have left last season if mcabe was still in charge, we wouldnt have had the season last term if mcabe was ere, sure we all agree there
Wait and see what happens then come back to this in 12 months. The Prince took control of the club during the best time in our history. He has spent only the money brought into the club by the success in this pitch. He has also had a major hand in the best manager in our history leaving the club. He seems to care more about building an empire than he does on looking after OUR club. I care about this club not buying players we will never see in a Blades shirt or buying a second division french club.
And yet some of our fan base think he’s the best thing since sliced bread it’s bizarre. The writing is on the wall he has no funds at all and already renegaded on two promises. The fact that some of our fans are backing a Saudi owner who watches from afar in front of Chris Wilder is quite frankly disgusting. By all means don’t take sides that’s fair enough but don’t trust the owner in front of a man who is one of us. Like I have said a million times come back in 6/12 months and see we’re we are.

I think they may both have left options open. We have a temporary manager already on our payroll and Knill is still therewhich does seem rather unusual.
Maybe Chris and the Prince are going to sit in their deckchairs for a few weeks and ponder?

£10-15m spent on players in the 2-3 seasons before we even got to the Prem.

Compared to about £2-3m spent by McCabe in his last 10-15 years.
Where is the 10-15m spent before we got in the premier league? We purchased Eagan and Norwood both signed on the back of players sales. McCabe was also part control of the club in the years running up to the premier league.
I’m not saying KMc was god but you do realise we were in league 1 for 6 years don’t you? How could we spend millions while being in that division?
Is it me or are people just rewriting history to try and back up their argument?

Where is the 10-15m spent before we got in the premier league? We purchased Eagan and Norwood both signed on the back of players sales. McCabe was also part control of the club in the years running up to the premier league.
I’m not saying KMc was god but you do realise we were in league 1 for 6 years don’t you? How could we spend millions while being in that division?
Is it me or are people just rewriting history to try and back up their argument?
So KMC doesn't spend anything and its not his fault because "we were in League 1"

PA spends but he can't be credited because "it was Prem money".

Seems like half our fans want a magical multi billionaire owner who's going to throw hundreds of millions at a championship club.

Not doing the research for you mate, I just did my own. Go and look at our transfer fees for the last season in League 1 and the 2 seasons in the Championship...the figures are there to see. Facts and figures mate, facts and figures.

And why were we in L1 in the first place?!

Because McCabe had squandered the PL money on shit signings and shitter obscure feeder clubs.

As is happening now!

People genuinely defending McCabe and attacking PA when they're both as shit as each other.

FWIW I'm not a fan of either, but it's categorically plain to see that PA has invested a shitload more money in a lot less than time than KMC ever did.

So I don't know pal, you tell me, why are you rewriting history to back up your argument?

I'm siding with who I've always sided with, Sheffield United Football club.

Seems a lot of bluff and bullshit regarding both sides in the online world, and very little fact (which we won't get if there are NDA's in place). So for better or worse, my take so far is this.

CW has been spoiling to leave for a while. You don't even have to be an amateur psychologist to notice the change in him, it has been as clear as day.

The Prince, I'm not convinced about at all I'm afraid. For better or worse, he is our owner, as we all know they all come and go. My main concern is the lack of anything from him. He wheeled Steve Bettis out and........erm................thats it. A significant point in our history, the next step of our journey will either lead to redemption or oblivion, and the man at the head of the table is conspicuous by his absence. He can do what he likes with his bog roll empire, but this is our club. Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind.

So no, I'm not taking sides but I will say this with conviction. Nobody is coming out of this with any credit for now. It's hurting the club.

That won't do, that won't fucking do at all.

Back
Top Bottom