A cashless stadium

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Won't you need 4g if you are using your phone ? At half time at the ground getting data connectivity is difficult to say the least
No mate. It’s the vendor who needs the connection to the network. Your card is on your phone/watch and it uses near-field communication (NFC) to communicate with devices that are a couple of centimetres away. So once it’s setup you’re good, you don’t need WiFi, data, or anything else. 👍

Last edited:
I can’t believe that, in 2019, there are people without a contactless debit card.

Are they the same people who keep a shoebox of cash under the bed?

I didn't get a contactless card until last year when my old card reached its expiry date. I've still not used it for contactless payment. I don't have my card on my phone as i'm wary of any viruses or a simple case of losing my phone. I'm stuck in my ways of using cash i guess. I only just used cashback for the first time ever a few weeks ago though so maybe i'm a bit behind the rest!

Very rarely buy anything in the ground anyway unless I'm taking my step-son and he'll want something to drink or a chocolate bar.

Has Man Friday gone cashless yet? Hopefully when that happens you'll be able to get served without having to wait 25 minutes.

I didn't get a contactless card until last year when my old card reached its expiry date. I've still not used it for contactless payment. I don't have my card on my phone as i'm wary of any viruses or a simple case of losing my phone. I'm stuck in my ways of using cash i guess. I only just used cashback for the first time ever a few weeks ago though so maybe i'm a bit behind the rest!
Apple Pay is safer than carrying around cash or a debit card, would urge anyone to try it. I often don’t even go out with a wallet now and just use my phone.

down here in the south no one really uses cash, its all card, all public transport and pretty much any where you go.

I genuinely cant remember the last time I carried cash on me, its brave of BDTBL to go cashless as there will be a few that just prefer cash payment when buying a pint or a pie
I carry a bit for emergencies but rarely pay cash. Why would I give some shop assistant a fiver or whatever and wait whilst they counted the change out when I can just touch the reader with my card? And why would I leave my card at home, when I’m probably as likely to get burgled as lose my wallet with my card in it?

My mum doesn’t like contactless but she can’t explain why. I’ve told her that if someone was going to rob her, they could stand behind her as she puts her PIN in then lift her card. And if they’re using a card reader it makes no difference. But she just goes ‘oh but I don’t like it’. It’s like banging your head against the wall.

We’ve gone from a cash only (or vouchers) stadium to a cashless only stadium.

Is there really no way you can combine the two ffs?

I never had cash on me but my grandad and his mates just don’t like using their card out. What’s the harm in having both?

Because going cashless is probably going to save United a load of money on not having to handle, count and bank cash. Plus, the overheads of fake currency, errors and pilfering.

Interesting views and comments on social media about this including:

"Absolute rubbish"
"What a load of bollocks"
"What if you don't have a bank card?
" What about programmes man? That's me not buying them any more and I've got them going back to 1924"

Its 2019. If you don't have a bank card with contactless then what's a matter with you? Card is king. This speeds it up.

Make it difficult for fans to buy tickets and make it difficult for fans to buy stuff in the stadium.
United seem to be desperate to live in a shiny new Premier League world rather than remembering the club still resides in the city of Sheffield.

People in Sheffield still have contactless bank cards ffs.

My Dad's fucking terrified that he's going to get double charged or something. He won't even entertain contactless.

What's safer? Having a plastic card in your wallet where, worst case scenario, someone with a portable card robbing device can potentially steal a maximum of £30 from you, which you'd more than likely be able to claim back and which never actually happens anyway, or having £100 cash in your pocket?
£100 cash in your pocket? How much do they charge for a pie and a cup of tea nowadays?

Very rarely buy anything in the ground anyway unless I'm taking my step-son and he'll want something to drink or a chocolate bar.

Has Man Friday gone cashless yet? Hopefully when that happens you'll be able to get served without having to wait 25 minutes.
I'm in the same boat,my twins like chips and gravy,pop and snacks in the ground,I just give them a tenner and off they go,looks like I'm going to have to fcukabout now queuing for them,wot a load of bollox!!!!

My dad is seventy-years-old and has Apple Pay on his phone and at least one contactless card. In lieu of United handling catering directly and employing experienced catering staff, this will save time in the queues. It will also save the club money.
I'd be interested to know if the club has researched how many match goers, who buy food in the stadium, don't have a card to pay with.
Also, under eighteens can have cash cards that are topped up by their parents, so that can also be got round.

Apple Pay is safer than carrying around cash or a debit card, would urge anyone to try it. I often don’t even go out with a wallet now and just use my phone.

Don't have a iphone i have andriod and i'm not going to put cards on my phone just yet.

Don't think anyone is disputing its the way the world is heading and quickly but to get rid of the old way 100% in one go doesn't seem wise. Have one cash till. When people see how bad the queue is they'll either change their habits or stop buying. Instead people are just going to stop buying in the ground rather than use a format for money they obviously are not using elsewhere yet.

I carry a bit for emergencies but rarely pay cash. Why would I give some shop assistant a fiver or whatever and wait whilst they counted the change out when I can just touch the reader with my card? And why would I leave my card at home, when I’m probably as likely to get burgled as lose my wallet with my card in it?

My mum doesn’t like contactless but she can’t explain why. I’ve told her that if someone was going to rob her, they could stand behind her as she puts her PIN in then lift her card. And if they’re using a card reader it makes no difference. But she just goes ‘oh but I don’t like it’. It’s like banging your head against the wall.

Exactly that BushBlade I don't even have a wallet just have my card as that is all I ever use, in London as you will know it rare to see someone use cash and that as spread to all the commuter towns and cities, all the ticket machines for the train at Aspley are now contactless and it is a station that is only part manned, once contactless and oyster are at all the commuter towns like Hemel, Tring and St Albans cash will be more and more a thing of the past.

There should be an option to pay cash. Of course people should be able to pay be card if they like but this "cash free" bollocks is becoming ridiculous. Some people prefer to use cash. It's the only payment method that ensures you retain your privacy, and some (myself included) tend to prefer to use cash if they are on a tight budget.

They should at least stop pretending it's for our benefit. I went to a hotel recently that was cash-free, they said, "for the benefit of our customers and security of our staff". What bollocks. I wondered when the last armed robbery was at the hotel? And how is removing a payment option an increased benefit for customers?

The bottom line is that not having to handle cash increases profits for companies. They don't have to count the cash and employ security firms to take it to the bank. They don't have to ensure that they always have a float of change. Employees will find it harder to rip them off. There's no benefit to us in taking away a choice.

United have generally had a very good relationship with the fans, with decent ticket pricing and good communication. However, this season it seems like they are intent on screwing us over. I accept that some of the new rules are dictated by the PL, but the PL didn't choose to make Palace a category A fixture and charge loyal home fans more than away fans.

Make it difficult for fans to buy tickets and make it difficult for fans to buy stuff in the stadium.
United seem to be desperate to live in a shiny new Premier League world rather than remembering the club still resides in the city of Sheffield.

Cutlery Works (in Sheffield) is cashless. It's the way things are moving. Who carries shit loads of cash? Twattin about waiting for folk to count shrapnel etc fcks off the majority.

Don't have a iphone i have andriod and i'm not going to put cards on my phone just yet.

Don't think anyone is disputing its the way the world is heading and quickly but to get rid of the old way 100% in one go doesn't seem wise. Have one cash till. When people see how bad the queue is they'll either change their habits or stop buying. Instead people are just going to stop buying in the ground rather than use a format for money they obviously are not using elsewhere yet.
You’re right, it would be more sensible to try to transition but I reckon a good proportion of those who refuse to use a card also bring their own sandwiches and a thermos flask.

😁

I think android offer the same service but of course that’s your choice. Would recommend trying it at some point as it is far safer than carrying cash.

I think it will be successful to be honest, there will be a lot of fans like me who will buy more now I can do so on card.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom