Official Hawkeye reason given

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I find it fascinating that the conversation is focused on the flawed technology and the referee is being treated like some innocent bystander.

In the Daily Mail today, referee Mark Clattenburg calls the failure to award Sheffield United a goal, "scandalous", but makes it clear he does not blame referee Michael Oliver.

Well...I have a different take on this.

It is the referee's fault that a perfectly fair goal was not awarded. That's my take on it. And I'll tell you why I say that, because it was obvious from the players reaction, and not least the position of the goalkeeper, that this was a GOAL. OK so his watch didn't buzz. Sometimes my alarm doesn't go off, but I know from using my eyes that it's time to get up for work.

Oliver had the opportunity, in that very moment, to stop the game and consult with VAR.

He didn't. He simply pointed to the gadget on his wrist and indicated it hadn't gone off. And that was that. No further questions asked.

The technology is there to ASSIST referees, not to make the decisions for them, or for them to HIDE behind the technology and use that as a reason for shirking responsibility.

It was scandalous refereeing - never mind the broken or malfunctioning technology - there's a man there on the pitch with a pair of eyes in his head and there's 22 players and 300 others that could see it was a clear goal.

Moan about the technology all you like - but until referees have the courage to look and question and use the available technology to assist their decisions, not to make the decisions for them, then this kind of nonsense is set to continue - and it will ruin the game.

1592459863155.png
Villa goalkeeper Nyland avoids serious injury by clinging onto the side netting versus Sheffield United

Embarrassing.

I'm no hawk eye expert but I've seen worse goal mouth melees resolved by hawk eye.

The goalkeeper ended up in the side netting the wrong side of the post ffs.

Sorry I'm calling bollocks.

The third line of your post Davalon should be printed in letters three feet high and sent to every official involved in last nights match. The excuses are not good enough and are trotted out time after time. It has been said before, on these decisions could hinge a title or relegation, or in our case millions of pounds lost from failure to qualify for a CL/Europa league place.

Still seething about last night's 'no goal' farce: VAR is used in Rugby for exactly these situations i.e. did the ball Cross the line, did the attacking player ground the ball etc. Hawkeye failed, why did they not refer to VAR? Why didn't Stockley Park get involved? Everyone watching on the TV could see it was over the line! And my final rant wasn't Hawkeye chosen even though it wasn't the best option and is more suited to Tennis? 🤔
FB_IMG_1592428654496.jpg

I find it fascinating that the conversation is focused on the flawed technology and the referee is being treated like some innocent bystander.

In the Daily Mail today, referee Mark Clattenburg calls the failure to award Sheffield United a goal, "scandalous", but makes it clear he does not blame referee Michael Oliver.

It is the referee's fault that a perfectly fair goal was not awarded. That's my take on it. And I'll tell you why I say that, because it was obvious from the players reaction, and not least the position of the goalkeeper, that this was a GOAL. OK so his watch didn't buzz. Sometimes my alarm doesn't go off, but I know from using my eyes that it's time to get up for work.

Oliver had the opportunity, in that very moment, to stop the game and consult with VAR.

He didn't. He simply pointed to the gadget on his wrist and indicated it hadn't gone off. And that was that. No further questions asked.

The technology is there to ASSIST referees, not to make the decisions for them, or for them to HIDE behind the technology and use that as a reason for shirking responsibility.

It was scandalous refereeing - never mind the broken or malfunctioning technology - there's a man there on the pitch with a pair of eyes in his head and there's 22 players and 300 others that could see it was a clear goal.

Moan about the technology all you like - but until referees have the courage to look and question and use the available technology to assist their decisions, not to make the decisions for them, then this kind of nonsense is set to continue - and it will ruin the game.

View attachment 83244
Villa goalkeeper Nyland avoids serious injury by clinging onto the side netting versus Sheffield United

This, a million times over. End of.

The problem now is that the refs and linesmen have abdicated all responsibility to technology so they don’t even try to get into a position to see for themselves. Hawk-eye have just apologised but I think that the ref and VAR could have cleared it up in seconds but the computer said no. We weren’t great but the fact is that we should have won that game and those 2 points could cost us a place in Europe. I wonder if Oliver would have been more interested if it had been Liverpool at Anfield in front of a baying crowd? My guess is that he’d have took control and checked it out, and you’ve also got to wonder what the hell the goon at VAR was doing? They see the same pictures as us don’t they so they must have been aware that Sky were replaying it. Stinks TBH.
This.

The abdication of responsibility and complete trust in the technology is a major issue.

When Hawkeye gives a result the graphic shows an overhead sweeping shot from one side to overhead then zooms in.

The ball here can clearly be seen if a camera was inline with the goal post. There is meant to be a camera in the stand inline with the goal line. One of the 7. The occlusion reason is BS. What they should publicly show is what the cameras saw, whether its blocked or not. Instead of an apology that means nothing publishing the video from what the cameras saw.

Of course they wont because they were not working. The occlusion that the cameras experienced was the fact they were off !

1592459863155.png

When Hawkeye gives a result the graphic shows an overhead sweeping shot from one side to overhead then zooms in.

The ball here can clearly be seen if a camera was inline with the goal post. There is meant to be a camera in the stand inline with the goal line. One of the 7. The occlusion reason is BS. What they should publicly show is what the cameras saw, whether its blocked or not. Instead of an apology that means nothing publishing the video from what the cameras saw.

Of course they wont because they were not working. The occlusion that the cameras experienced was the fact they were off !

View attachment 83247
Thing is though if they were so occluded, why did Micheal Olivers watch buzz when he was in at half time, surely if it didn't work it wouldn't have buzzed at all?

The problem now is that the refs and linesmen have abdicated all responsibility to technology so they don’t even try to get into a position to see for themselves. Hawk-eye have just apologised but I think that the ref and VAR could have cleared it up in seconds but the computer said no. We weren’t great but the fact is that we should have won that game and those 2 points could cost us a place in Europe. I wonder if Oliver would have been more interested if it had been Liverpool at Anfield in front of a baying crowd? My guess is that he’d have took control and checked it out, and you’ve also got to wonder what the hell the goon at VAR was doing? They see the same pictures as us don’t they so they must have been aware that Sky were replaying it. Stinks TBH.

1592463249210.png
I wasn't doin' anyfink!

Thing is though if they were so occluded, why did Micheal Olivers watch buzz when he was in at half time, surely if it didn't work it wouldn't have buzzed at all?

That was when they rebooted the system it does a test buzz on his watch when they switch it on/boots up.

That was when they rebooted the system it does a test buzz on his watch when they switch it on.
Test buzz or buzzed for the goal? Just seen the replay again and Michael Oliver was looking straight at it, with unobserved view when Nyland was playing hide the ball behind the post.

Hawkeye need to show us the evidence that their cameras couldn’t pick it up. On every other occasion we get to see the evidence that the ball was or wasn’t over the line. With this incident, nothing. And it’s the most controversial decision since the technology was introduced. Was the technology working? Were the cameras even switched on? Their explanation and apology don’t bear up to even the most rudimentary scrutiny.

Hawkeye need to show us the evidence that their cameras couldn’t pick it up. On every other occasion we get to see the evidence that the ball was or wasn’t over the line. With this incident, nothing. And it’s the most controversial decision since the technology was introduced. Was the technology working? Were the cameras even switched on? Their explanation and apology don’t bear up to even the most rudimentary scrutiny.

Exactly, and as I stated in a previous reply if they admit the system is faulty even 1:9000 then why have they not temporarily suspended Hawkeye for further investigation ??

The Guardian report says:

"United players celebrated what they believed to be an obvious goal. But the referee, Michael Oliver, waved play on, dismissing protests by pointing to his watch to indicate it had not buzzed to confirm all of the ball had crossed the line. Moments later the referee blew for an infringement against Villa – and that brought an end to the passage of play, which is why, according to the Premier League, the decision was not allowed to be referred to VAR"

I don't understand why that means the decision was not referred to VAR?

That's bollocks too. If the free kick is taken then yes, it's a new passage.

The game could've and should've paused at that free kick and common sense should have prevailed.

That's bollocks too. If the free kick is taken then yes, it's a new passage.

The game could've and should've paused at that free kick and common sense should have prevailed.
The ref/linesman/VAR official have 100% faith that GLT is infallible. Why would they check? Even if it looked "wrong", they have been clearly told to stay out of any yes/no goal decisions. To them, how could it ever be a goal, the watch didn't buzz. So there wasn't anything to check.

They have some slight fault in this, but they were following the guidelines. If they'd gone to a VAR check and it wasn't a goal then their boss and the league would have gone nuts at them for putting doubt into their perfect GLT system. The fault lies with Hawkeye and whoever forgot to turn whatever part of the system on that didn't work

View attachment 83244

To be fair to Oliver he had no reason to doubt that what his watch was telling him wasn't correct.
I don't think he could actually see from his position, not sure on the linesmans view but they both probably thought the technology says no Goal so that's the correct decision same with the people watching VAR. Up until yesterday Hawkeye hasn't had a problem to my knowledge its had a 100% success rate.
Maybe Refs and Linesman have become too reliant on Hawkeye thinking it is 100% accurate i know i did.
Now they know it isn't I would hope that maybe the people that watch VAR could take a look just to double check Hawkeye has got it right.
Admittedly it doesn't help us but its another 1st for the Blades in the fact that we have brought it to everyone's attention that it is not 100% accurate.

If it’s true that Hawkeye wasn’t switched on, can it be assumed that if either team had scored a 25 yarder into the top corner that the goal wouldn’t have been given. I would love to have seen the ref shaking his head saying “I can’t give it, my watch hasn’t buzzed, goal kick”. The ref has to take control here, he’s in charge.

The ref/linesman/VAR official have 100% faith that GLT is infallible. Why would they check? Even if it looked "wrong", they have been clearly told to stay out of any yes/no goal decisions. To them, how could it ever be a goal, the watch didn't buzz. So there wasn't anything to check.

Because since it's been brought in that's the first time a team has ever surrounded a ref about it. The players usually go "can't have been over, his watch would've buzzed" and just get on with it. Last night they KNEW it was over. It wasn't even close. The ref knew it too, he was seen tapping the watch trying to get it to go off.

VAR is also there to overturn certain "clear & obvious" errors. They have seen withing 10 seconds that it's a goal. The referee is microphoned up to them - are you telling me that the VAR didn't say to Oliver - "that's gone in that mate, has your watch not gone off"?

For the integrity of the game alone, VAR should have intervened there.

1,000,000% that wouldn't have played out like that if it had happened in the Man City game. Not a chance whatsoever.

Because since it's been brought in that's the first time a team has ever surrounded a ref about it. The players usually go "can't have been over, his watch would've buzzed" and just get on with it. Last night they KNEW it was over. It wasn't even close. The ref knew it too, he was seen tapping the watch trying to get it to go off.

VAR is also there to overturn certain "clear & obvious" errors. They have seen withing 10 seconds that it's a goal. The referee is microphoned up to them - are you telling me that the VAR didn't say to Oliver - "that's gone in that mate, has your watch not gone off"?

For the integrity of the game alone, VAR should have intervened there.

1,000,000% that wouldn't have played out like that if it had happened in the Man City game. Not a chance whatsoever.
It's not the first time the players have done that. And to be fair, we didn't go nuts. Not even our players could really believe it.

I think the VAR official probably wasn't watching the ball as daft as it sounds. Because they've clearly been told that's not their job. Fouls and offsides are their job.

And I disagree about the "Big Club" thing. This was 100% about faith in technology and not daring to question it

Fault lies with 1) Hawkeye - very much almost all the blame lies here 2) Mike Dean and his twats for drilling in to the Refs to stay out of things 3) Oliver, something looked wrong and he knew it but he daren't flag it up (I get it, if he'd been wrong he'd have been in all kinds of shit) 4) VAR official 5) Our players for not going batshit crazy, picking the ball up and refusing to play until they checked it (this is a bit tongue in cheek)

Agree..the excuse makes no sense.

Also if it didn’t work like they say...then how come the refs watch buzzed at half time? The technology either worked or didn’t work.

I reckon they’ve simply forgot to turn on the Hawkeye machine....it’s scandalous really.....the most controversial goal in history and it effects us.

The reactions of both sets of players says enough. Our players did run off celebrating /arms in the air. Their defenders walked away with their heads down. They knew it was in. I don't blame them for not saying owt, I wouldn't either. But that's not the point.

If his watch went off at half time, why? Unless someone was on the pitch chucking balls in the goal it had no reason to go off.

The tech is either flawed, in which case it needs scrapping as of today, or they fucked it up.

Agree..the excuse makes no sense.

Also if it didn’t work like they say...then how come the refs watch buzzed at half time? The technology either worked or didn’t work.

I reckon they’ve simply forgot to turn on the Hawkeye machine....it’s scandalous really.....the most controversial goal in history and it effects us.
Agreed it really is scandalous, compounded by the inexplicable silence from the team of people at Stockley Park, who's job is to look at the video and ensure fairness. Stevie Wonder and David Blunkett could have called that one
It totally and utterly stinks.

The ref has told people at half time his watch wasn’t on properly, hence when he turned it on, it flashed up goal. He apologised, he made the mistake, we move on. The statements are just the usual claptrap to cover.

It's not the first time the players have done that. And to be fair, we didn't go nuts. Not even our players could really believe it.

I think the VAR official probably wasn't watching the ball as daft as it sounds. Because they've clearly been told that's not their job. Fouls and offsides are their job.

And I disagree about the "Big Club" thing. This was 100% about faith in technology and not daring to question it

Fault lies with 1) Hawkeye - very much almost all the blame lies here 2) Mike Dean and his twats for drilling in to the Refs to stay out of things 3) Oliver, something looked wrong and he knew it but he daren't flag it up (I get it, if he'd been wrong he'd have been in all kinds of shit) 4) VAR official 5) Our players for not going batshit crazy, picking the ball up and refusing to play until they checked it (this is a bit tongue in cheek)
Number 5 needn’t be tongue-in-cheek, just about any other team would have gone mental. In fact a big enough fuss would have seen it reviewed and given in my opinion. I was surprised that they just accepted it, especially Egan who was only a foot away.

We need to see what the camera's saw this must be the 1:9000 times we've not seen the graphic afterwards showing according to Hawkeye the ball didnt go in the net.
The official response is just an excuse. They have been found out and really should be taking into account.

I am not expecting any result change or anything to come from it but someone is paying for their service and it failed. There should be an investigation.

If it was Liverpool, Man City, anyone else there would be.

Back
Top Bottom