Updates from a Clough

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We were only a bottom 6 side under Weir

David Weir was working under totally different budget constraints - he had to slash the wage bill. After the change of ownership Clough has had a much bigger budget than Weir or Wilson had. Before the change we had difficulty getting any manager on those finances. After the change Clough fancied the opportunity. There's a world of difference.

David Weir was working under totally different budget constraints - he had to slash the wage bill. After the change of ownership Clough has had a much bigger budget than Weir or Wilson had. Before the change we had difficulty getting any manager on those finances. After the change Clough fancied the opportunity. There's a world of difference.
I think the sale of Maguire is the only difference with the budget restraints the proceeds of which haven't been spent too wisely.
As for Wilson, he had the best midfield in the division by far in that first season plus Evans and we should have been promoted by the time the Evans got sent down. After that, I think he had less backing than Clough or Weir

If Wilson could have made a couple of key signings the season he was fired ie a quality midfielder and a 20 goal a season striker I believe we would have gone up auto.
Instead he was forced to sell Blackman

I think the sale of Maguire is the only difference with the budget restraints the proceeds of which haven't been spent too wisely.
As for Wilson, he had the best midfield in the division by far in that first season plus Evans and we should have been promoted by the time the Evans got sent down. After that, I think he had less backing than Clough or Weir

That is just not true about Weir who inherited a poor squad and was told to slash, and I mean slash on an unprecedented scale, the wage budget and get rid of every highly paid player. He was only with us twp minutes but he took on "Mission Impossible".

Not sure he was at Burnley long enough to say he actually "struggled" but isn't Dyche probably reaping some of the rewards of the work that Howe put in?

Woody , you are correct . Dyche is reaping the benefits from Eddie Howes very short time at Burnley . ( a lesson for us with Clough who has only had a full season ) . Howe would have not left Burnley , but for very serious family issues and made the decision , he had to be nearer home , and be closer to his family . Some things in life , are even more important than football.

UTB

True.

Fifth under Wilson when he was rightly sacked (wrongly appointed!)
Fifth under Clough's period last year.
Fifth under Clough this year.
All at apparent enormous expense!
If that's the stability people want under Clough yer can stick it!

As for his' we were 2nd bottom in February last year' BS.
The February the year before we went top under Wilson after the 1-0 at Bournemouth.
That's a truer reflection of where we've come from – and Bournemouth are an indication of how you can progress under a GOOD manager!
Don't agree with you about Wilson pre Ched debacle things were good .
With regards to Clough I'm with you.
Just got to see what happens.
If we scramble up in the play offs he's here for a few more years and I assure you it won't be pretty.
If we fuck up the play offs he gone

I'd just love to see them try on a pair of real leather boots with proper studs: and then get a proper case ball, and do what the mud larks of old did on a muddy heavy surface that once had grass on it. Tired ? My arse.

Plus they had a day job in the week !!

Don't agree with you about Wilson pre Ched debacle things were good .
With regards to Clough I'm with you.
Just got to see what happens.
If we scramble up in the play offs he's here for a few more years and I assure you it won't be pretty.
If we fuck up the play offs he gone

Albeit i do agree with you , but due to the board wanting continuity and stability on the team manager front , i can see Clough being at the Lane for another full season , at least ,what ever happens .

The truth is we do actually have a decent side , but has been seriously lacking in sorting out the CB situation , and he as just sorted the CF situation out . ( Higdon has been a bad buy ) . What makes the situation totally unacceptable is that a 10 year old playing football manager on his game box , would have the nonce to resolve this basic issue to achieve success . I think we are stuck with him unless he walks , if we don't achieve promotion , but that will not happen , due to work in progress

I think Clough sees the overall picture as very good work in progress , 7th last season , 5th / 6th this season , and a chance in the play offs , next season top two , if we don't make it . Perhaps some method in his madness , but you can put a positive spin on any situation , as we see every day , with the run up to the government general elections.

What he as to appreciate and remember , he has to keep us fans on side , and have us buy in to the building project . IMO he is failing on this , thats why there is a lot of discontent , as are we actually making progress .

Yes- i am very pro Clough , but baffled most of the time.

UTB

Albeit i do agree with you , but due to the board wanting continuity and stability on the team manager front , i can see Clough being at the Lane for another full season , at least ,what ever happens .

The truth is we do actually have a decent side , but has been seriously lacking in sorting out the CB situation , and he as just sorted the CF situation out . ( Higdon has been a bad buy ) . What makes the situation totally unacceptable is that a 10 year old playing football manager on his game box , would have the nonce to resolve this basic issue to achieve success . I think we are stuck with him unless he walks , if we don't achieve promotion , but that will not happen , due to work in progress

I think Clough sees the overall picture as very good work in progress , 7th last season , 5th / 6th this season , and a chance in the play offs , next season top two , if we don't make it . Perhaps some method in his madness , but you can put a positive spin on any situation , as we see every day , with the run up to the government general elections.

What he as to appreciate and remember , he has to keep us fans on side , and have us buy in to the building project . IMO he is failing on this , thats why there is a lot of discontent , as are we actually making progress .

Yes- i am very pro Clough , but baffled most of the time.

UTB

I reckon it will be better for Clough and the building project to stay down another season. I agree we have the nucleus of a squad and so we should have FGS. If we go up there will be pressure week in week out and less opportunity to "bring on" a couple of the youngsters.

In League 1 there will be every opportunity to give Reed 40 games next season and come the start of the season he will be 18 years old and ready to take the next steps forward in his career. If we should go up the season after he will be full value and even the main man in midfield.

Should we sign two central defenders and an "engine room" midfielder perhaps with some height ( or even if Wallace gets fit) a couple of game changers here and there we should get promotion IF Clough manages the games more positively.

In twelve months time we would then have a squad which would be used to winning and having some method and teamwork/spirit ethic.

Then we could build on all that in the following summer and go up in good shape. Clough would have rescued his reputation with us.

Going up with this squad would be really hard work next season, so yes I think staying down could be good for Clough, believe it or not! Where's my tin hat:eek:

That is just not true about Weir who inherited a poor squad and was told to slash, and I mean slash on an unprecedented scale, the wage budget and get rid of every highly paid player. He was only with us twp minutes but he took on "Mission Impossible".

Clough had the same squad as weir last year with the exception of Brayford and Harris? Oh, but I forgot Clough only signs crap players, so they can't have possibly made an impact. So with the crap players he signed he took weirs mission impossible from bottom of the league to 7th and an fa cup semi.

Make your mind up.

Out of interest did you want weir sacked?

I reckon it will be better for Clough and the building project to stay down another season. I agree we have the nucleus of a squad and so we should have FGS. If we go up there will be pressure week in week out and less opportunity to "bring on" a couple of the youngsters.

In League 1 there will be every opportunity to give Reed 40 games next season and come the start of the season he will be 18 years old and ready to take the next steps forward in his career. If we should go up the season after he will be full value and even the main man in midfield.

Should we sign two central defenders and an "engine room" midfielder perhaps with some height ( or even if Wallace gets fit) a couple of game changers here and there we should get promotion IF Clough manages the games more positively.

In twelve months time we would then have a squad which would be used to winning and having some method and teamwork/spirit ethic.

Then we could build on all that in the following summer and go up in good shape. Clough would have rescued his reputation with us.

Going up with this squad would be really hard work next season, so yes I think staying down could be good for Clough, believe it or not! Where's my tin hat:eek:

Not sure about that, you've got to take promotion when you get it. If reeds good enough he will play.

Saying it would be better to stay down is like when football fans say it's good to get relegated to come back stronger - that's rubbish.

If we go up this year we'll make neccesary changes, and in terms of the pressure, they can't be under anymore pressure than they're under now - every time we lose a game it's Clough out.

We will get promoted this season . Whatever league were in , the squad will want rebuilding ( never mind how successful you are or not ) . Thats evolution of any football team . We might as well be doing it in the championship than league 1.

Staying down would not be good for fans , club or Clough . He is building , so build it in a higher division . Any chance in life you take it with both arms open . Thats what we all are doing and want desperately IMO.

UTB

Staying down would not be good for the club or Clough.

We would probably end up selling one of our better players due to having less season ticket sales etc. So no it would not be good.

Not to mention the fact that we would have to be out of the blocks quicker than Usain Bolt or the pressure would be on straight away.

For me, the biggest mystery is the centre half situation. Anybody who remembers Clough senior (or read his biography), will know he always said you start with the back four. Something like "..you start with the back four, not the keeper. A good keeper is needed of course, but a strong back four that don't let anything through is a must. With a good back four, the worst that can happen is a 0-0 draw.." or something like that, years since I read his life story. He believed in a strong, solid, fearless back four (usually including at least one "enforcer" type, like Morgan for us), and then you built out from there.

As much as it pains me to say it, the other team across the city have done just that. They have not got the goal scorers yet, but they don't concede many.

We will get promoted this season . Whatever league were in , the squad will want rebuilding ( never mind how successful you are or not ) . Thats evolution of any football team . We might as well be doing it in the championship than league 1.

Staying down would not be good for fans , club or Clough . He is building , so build it in a higher division . Any chance in life you take it with both arms open . Thats what we all are doing and want desperately IMO.

UTB
Not sure about that, you've got to take promotion when you get it. If reeds good enough he will play.

Saying it would be better to stay down is like when football fans say it's good to get relegated to come back stronger - that's rubbish.

If we go up this year we'll make neccesary changes, and in terms of the pressure, they can't be under anymore pressure than they're under now - every time we lose a game it's Clough out.

Read it a bit more carefully - I said "it would be better for Clough". I am convinced if we were to go up now he would be out of a job before Xmas.

Clough had the same squad as weir last year with the exception of Brayford and Harris? Oh, but I forgot Clough only signs crap players, so they can't have possibly made an impact. So with the crap players he signed he took weirs mission impossible from bottom of the league to 7th and an fa cup semi.

Make your mind up.

Make your mind up.

Oh dear Borbokis, if you are going to be aggressive at least get your facts right, you've apologised once this week already.

Last season Clough added the following to Weir's squad:

Brayford, Harris as you say. PLUS Paynter, Scougall, Ben Davies, Freeman, White and Lappin.

I had "made my mind up" old boy.:cool::)

Did I want Weir sacked? I'm afraid his days were numbered as soon as the new owner joined us with different investment levels. No new owner was going to entrust a rookie manager with the new money. Did I regret the circumstances Weir got himself into? Yes of course and I hope every Blade respected him as a man of integrity and dignity. I also never understood how McCabe couldn't control the sequence of events better. Weir was welcomed on board and hung out to dry within weeks. Another bad period for the reputation of the club.

Read it a bit more carefully - I said "it would be better for Clough". I am convinced if we were to go up now he would be out of a job before Xmas.

and also not to go up now , he would be out of a job before Xmas . . Either way a promotion always looks better on a CV. ( working on your logic )

In fact , i believe either way Clough will be going nowhere , even if if he takes us nowhere this season . However some fans think he has taken us somewhere already with being in the play offs and cup runs this season.

We want stability , not a new manager every season . That is why we are in league 1 . Am i happy no , what can i do about it - grin and bear it , but still turn up and support.

UTB

Oh dear Borbokis, if you are going to be aggressive at least get your facts right, you've apologised once this week already.

Last season Clough added the following to Weir's squad:

Brayford, Harris as you say. PLUS Paynter, Scougall, Ben Davies, Freeman, White and Lappin.

I had "made my mind up" old boy.:cool::)

Did I want Weir sacked? I'm afraid his days were numbered as soon as the new owner joined us with different investment levels. No new owner was going to entrust a rookie manager with the new money. Did I regret the circumstances Weir got himself into? Yes of course and I hope every Blade respected him as a man of integrity and dignity. I also never understood how McCabe couldn't control the sequence of events better. Weir was welcomed on board and hung out to dry within weeks. Another bad period for the reputation of the club.

Okay so I missed Davies, scougall - the two players along with Brayford and Harris made an impact. surely that was good management from Clough?

And how come Clough isn't afforded the same respect as a man of integrity and dignity as you would like to be given to weir. I've seen no evidence to suggest that Clough isn't a genuinely decent bloke. It's amazing how weir has become this martyr despite putting us at our lowest point in years.

And in what part of my post am I remotely aggressive? Or is it that you just don't like your contradictions being highlighted? In one thread you say Clough only signs crap, has just created rubble instead of building anything...then you say the players he signed greatly enhanced weirs squad (surely good players then?) and that we have a nucleus of a good squad (which would indicate Clough is building something) - or is that the 'terrible squad' weir had. I don't think you can make your mind up.

Yes and it looks like their season is going down the pan :cool:

Ha ha, of course, now it's Cloughs fault Mcclaren is failing :)

Funny thing, the other week derby fans were saying they were sick of Mcclaren always playing a 4-3-3, not having a plan B and playing boring sideways football. last season he was a messiah and was miles better than Clough, now there saying the same things about Mcclaren. Football fans eh?

Okay so I missed Davies, scougall - the two players along with Brayford and Harris made an impact. surely that was good management from Clough?

And how come Clough isn't afforded the same respect as a man of integrity and dignity as you would like to be given to weir. I've seen no evidence to suggest that Clough isn't a genuinely decent bloke. It's amazing how weir has become this martyr despite putting us at our lowest point in years.

And in what part of my post am I remotely aggressive? Or is it that you just don't like your contradictions being highlighted? In one thread you say Clough only signs crap, has just created rubble instead of building anything...then you say the players he signed greatly enhanced weirs squad (surely good players then?) and that we have a nucleus of a good squad (which would indicate Clough is building something) - or is that the 'terrible squad' weir had. I don't think you can make your mind up.

No, you missed Paynter, Freeman, White and Lappin as well, even if you think they were poor signings they were nevertheless signings and the big point you made was somewhat flawed, by a total of 6 players in fact.

You followed it with a one line final sentence in your post "Make your mind up" which is aggressive in my book. Pleased it was not intended that way though.

Who brought up David Weir anyway:confused:

Your whole post above is fanciful hyperbole taken deliberately out of context and one of us is not on an even keel. Suggest we wrap up for the sake of other forum members.

If we're talking facts, Lappin was signed by Weir, not Clough.

Clough re-signed him on loan as well but the point of detail you make is a good one. Did Weir sign him the week or so before he left I think.

Last edited:
The "we've gone from bottom 6 to top 6 and that's not enough for some people" is the one that really pisses me off. Last season we went from second from bottom to 7th and an FA cup semi final, and rightly NC received a huge amount of credit. However, this season we did not start off in the bottom 6, we started off as favourites for promotion. NC has signed 17 players and brought in 5 on loan. As such this season we have not gone from bottom 6 to top 6, we have gone from favourites for automatic promotion to being almost 30 points off the team at the top of the league.

Try and dress it up however you want Nigel but this season has been a huge disappointment, and once again today we were served up with another piss poor, disappointing performance. For me NC has one shot at redemption and that is to get us up via the play offs, if not I think we should get rid..

Last edited:
"Matty Done needs an injection in his groin which will keep him out for 10 days to 2 weeks"

Am I missing somethng, he played against Donny on April 7th, 12 days ago. Why have we waited this long ? He didn't play at Oldham or yesterday so we've wasted the best part of 2 weeks so he could play at Yeovil.

"We need to give Che Adams some game time"

See above.

Had we had the resources clough has had when interviewing potential managers after weir left, we probably would have Stuart Mcall as manager now. Just saying like.

Last edited:

Had we had the resources clough has had when interviewing potential managers after weir left, we probably would have Stuart Mcall as manager now.

Yes maybe true , but we would be in mid table mediocrity . McCall record is not that good , and we got the best manager at the time , and still have . Just lets stick with what we have got . At least there is no hidden agenda , and if we can see the problems , Clough and the board can. Hopefully this CB debacle does not cost us though.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom