2015/16 Home Kit

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Actually we did wear white shorts for some games of the 1966-67 season. It started with our midweek home game against Spurs on Sept 6th cos Spurs brought their black shorts so the ref ordered the Blades to wear different shorts. We wore white and won 2-1. We had lost the previous two home games so we decided to wear white shorts after that. Not sure if we did in the next home game against Everton but I have seen photos of us wearing white shorts in the home games against Sunderland in LC ( won 1-0) WBA (won 4-3), Sunderland (won 2-0), Walsall in LC (won 2-1), West Ham (won 3-1), Blackpool (drew 1-1), Leicester (lost 1-0), Birmingham in LC (lost 3-2) before reverting to black shorts for the rest of the season. I think the decision to wear white shorts in 1967-68 was due to the good luck we had in that few months of the previous season. We were poor at home in 1967-68 and the only time we wore black shorts in a home game was the last one of the season against Chelsea (we lost 2-1 despite leading in the 1st half)

The defeat against Chelsea (on a Saturday afternoon) didn't quite relegate us. For some reason, Southampton were playing that evening and if they had lost we'd have stayed up. I was only ten so I wasn't allowed to stay up for MOTD so I woke up early on the Sunday and went into my mum and dad's room. Went round to my dad's side and woke him up. He cleared his throat: "I've got some bad news for you son..."

So people actually like this look for Sheffield United Football Club?

As opposed to this

Sheffield%2076-%20Road%20Tony%20Currie,%20Alan%20Woodward.jpg

If we had it for a one-off season as the 125 years kit, I can sort of understand it, but was this season, not next!

It's great as an away kit, and ok as a one off home kit. But for a full season?? We look like Stevenage, nothing like Sheffield United, I cannot stand it. Do those who seem to like it actually want to play in that abomination for an entire season?

It's awful, come on, if Wednesday had come up with a version of that we would be laughing our heads off at them.

That pinstripe might have looked like a good idea in still photos but when you are watching them from the stands it looks plain white.

Also I suspect the original idea would have been Black shorts but I think someone thought we have enough Derby county comparisons at the moment with out wearing white shirts and black shorts.

have some prozac, for christ's sake!

Imagine the length of the queue for that, probably miss the Kick Off ......................... ;)

and thats a bit harsh

"but recently we've had a succession of bent chairmen and board members"

The defeat against Chelsea (on a Saturday afternoon) didn't quite relegate us. For some reason, Southampton were playing that evening and if they had lost we'd have stayed up. I was only ten so I wasn't allowed to stay up for MOTD so I woke up early on the Sunday and went into my mum and dad's room. Went round to my dad's side and woke him up. He cleared his throat: "I've got some bad news for you son..."
Southampton v Coventry was played in the Saturday afternoon (Ernie Hunt told a Sunday paper in the 1980s that Coventry bribed Southampton not to win the match, it ended in a 0-0 draw). It was Stoke's result that evening we were waiting for, they had two games left and would have gone down instead of us if they lost both matches. They drew 0-0 at Leicester which saved them from relegation. They beat Liverpool in their last match. dont know why Leicester were playing Stoke on a Saturday evening

Merge threads, new kit only needs one

One had been started at 10.37 the previous day

Southampton v Coventry was played in the Saturday afternoon (Ernie Hunt told a Sunday paper in the 1980s that Coventry bribed Southampton not to win the match, it ended in a 0-0 draw). It was Stoke's result that evening we were waiting for, they had two games left and would have gone down instead of us if they lost both matches. They drew 0-0 at Leicester which saved them from relegation. They beat Liverpool in their last match. dont know why Leicester were playing Stoke on a Saturday evening

Thanks, Silent. That rings a very distant bell.

Very Bad, just dull and dreary.

Floppy collars like this on nylon shirts tend to get all in a mess too, I think they are too heavy when double thickness for the body of the shirt to support them.

If you are going to revive an old style to commemorate something why not do it literally, slightly broader stripes, navy shorts if you like and you know what COTTON! give us something the stylish amongst us WOULD be seen dead in.

Its tripe, its Forest away.

If the pin stripes were a bit wider so they could be seen, like the ones on the shoulder. Black shorts and no advertising logo I might just consider buying it to replace my pyjama top.

HH

Objectively speaking, really classy and the sponsor looks nicely integrated and not garish as they usually are. It's a nice shirt.

Unfortunately you can't see the pinstripes from the stands. I honestly thought it was a new away kit until I noticed the giant replica on the BL lower tier. It's decent but I'll be glad to get back to full red and white stripes with black shorts in a years time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffi...media/File:Sheffield_United_Sqaud_1890-91.jpg

1890-91 season... look what we're wearing.

Its a nod to our heritage, and the fact we are the original United. And instantly the haters scream out saying "its not United!!". It is. Go into the Legends of the Lane or ask big Johnny Garrett to show you the original shirt it is based on. Unlike many, I do actually know and care about the history of our club,and we have not always played in Red & White Stripes from day 1.

It seems that everything the club are doing both on and off the field is instantly dismissed as being "crap".One bad run,and we want another manager firing, the kit is shit , I couldn't get a pie at half time - what next? Fire the programme seller as he didn't have change for a tenner? Demand the closure of A Salt & Battered because you had to wait for a fishcake?

Some of our supporters are beginning to really annoy me. Their negativity and pedantry is forever finding new ways of fuckwittedness week on week. The constant demands for instant success, and almost instant condemnation when their armchair punditry is the benchmark for how the club should be run shows a lack of understanding about the game,and life in general.

We are where we are for a reason. And if we scrape our way into the playoffs and up, so be it. If we play ugly football,and get a result - so be it.Arsenal and Leeds won a championship like that. We are in League 1 - we are not Los Galacticos. People say it was better in the past, but in the last 35 years we've had a succession of bent chairmen and board members, and managers so far out of their depth, Jacques Cousteau needed an aqualung to communicate with them. And you'd prefer us to go back to all that?

Let's man up, grow a pair and stop whining. If everything in your world is that depressive and black, have some prozac, for christ's sake!

I have defended the Clough management team ALL season. This thread is about the kit, and it's FUCKING SHIT.

We play in RED & WHITE STRIPES.

I hated the stupid diamonds, I disliked the red shirts with thin white stripes, but this takes it to another level. It is nothing but an Adidas template - go and take a look a t West Broms kit - also Adidas sponsored.

There are certain things in football that SHOULD be sacrosanct - and that is we play in RED & WHITE stripes, not a white shirts with red pinstripes. The fact that we may have played in this once is history. Man Utd used to play in Green and Yellow.

We play in RED & WHITE stripes, Black shorts and socks are to a degree Arbitrary - my preference is white.

This will be a disaster for the club, a marketing disaster - it has nothing to do with how we played today.

Absolutely disgusted.

UTB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffi...media/File:Sheffield_United_Sqaud_1890-91.jpg

1890-91 season... look what we're wearing.

Its a nod to our heritage, and the fact we are the original United. And instantly the haters scream out saying "its not United!!". It is. Go into the Legends of the Lane or ask big Johnny Garrett to show you the original shirt it is based on. Unlike many, I do actually know and care about the history of our club,and we have not always played in Red & White Stripes from day 1.

It seems that everything the club are doing both on and off the field is instantly dismissed as being "crap".One bad run,and we want another manager firing, the kit is shit , I couldn't get a pie at half time - what next? Fire the programme seller as he didn't have change for a tenner? Demand the closure of A Salt & Battered because you had to wait for a fishcake?

Some of our supporters are beginning to really annoy me. Their negativity and pedantry is forever finding new ways of fuckwittedness week on week. The constant demands for instant success, and almost instant condemnation when their armchair punditry is the benchmark for how the club should be run shows a lack of understanding about the game,and life in general.

We are where we are for a reason. And if we scrape our way into the playoffs and up, so be it. If we play ugly football,and get a result - so be it.Arsenal and Leeds won a championship like that. We are in League 1 - we are not Los Galacticos. People say it was better in the past, but in the last 35 years we've had a succession of bent chairmen and board members, and managers so far out of their depth, Jacques Cousteau needed an aqualung to communicate with them. And you'd prefer us to go back to all that?

Let's man up, grow a pair and stop whining. If everything in your world is that depressive and black, have some prozac, for christ's sake!

But (ignoring the quality of the 125 year old photograph) put that shirt on players on the pitch and you'll be able to make out the red stripes - they are wider and therefore more noticeable. This new one may be based on that shirt but the "pinstripes" need to be at least "thin stripes" IMHO.

lol at all the people busting their blood vessels and typing RED AND WHITE STRIPES IN ALL CAPS. The kit is very smart, the first shirt for years I've actually considered buying. There are only so many things you can do with a red and white striped shirt, next season there will be some other element of the kit people don't like. FFS we ain't going to ever come out in a 1970's kit with the Sheffield city crsst on so get over it

Sunderland circa 1981........does anyone here think it looks good?
Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 19.57.27.png
Well that is like our kit except ours has got an unwieldy collar on it too and less visible stripes. Look how nice it looks when its all clean and ironed......

Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 20.02.16.png
You can fool some of the people some of the time, well played to adidas who seem to have a few rolls of pinstripe fabric they couldn't get rid of anywhere else and well done to the people who have already placed their orders, well done, you certainly have been!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 20.02.16.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 20.02.16.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 0
To celebrate our history maybe the club should have picked a kit from the past which we had success in like the 82 or 88-90 back to back promotions.

Sunderland circa 1981........does anyone here think it looks good?
View attachment 11050
Well that is like our kit except ours has got an unwieldy collar on it too and less visible stripes. Look how nice it looks when its all clean and ironed......

View attachment 11051
You can fool some of the people some of the time, well played to adidas who seem to have a few rolls of pinstripe fabric they couldn't get rid of anywhere else and well done to the people who have already placed their orders, well done, you certainly have been!
Maybe the Forest away kit didn't sell too well so they thought lets palm it off to a well supported league one club.

I was going to suggest that the only good thing about the new kit is the (MUCH) improved sponsor's logo* but I've just realised they've ironed the old version on the new kit.

*I hope Holland up graded their logo at least partly as a result of pressure from this quarter?

How would we feel if a simple "break from tradition" resulted in us playing in a different colour? :confused: We play in red and white stripes and, unless you're up close, this shirt doesn't look like that.:(
But it isn't a different color is it? It's red and white, with more white than red. Seriously some of the reactions on here remind me of my 4 yr old when I make him wear a shirt with buttons, its a sodding football kit which represents a slight break from the norm, and in fact even represents our first ever kit! Perhaps a modicum of perspective required?

Imagine getting upset over a shirt :eek:

But it isn't a different color is it? It's red and white, with more white than red. Seriously some of the reactions on here remind me of my 4 yr old when I make him wear a shirt with buttons, its a sodding football kit which represents a slight break from the norm, and in fact even represents our first ever kit! Perhaps a modicum of perspective required?

Football is about income generation - That kit will not make money in the numbers required.

It will be a disaster, and the clubs finances will suffer. The noise or lack of it from the ground when it was unveiled TOLD it's own story an eerie silence from most.

Perhaps we should revisit in a months time.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom