CONFIRMED Kalvin Phillips

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You asked which managers I appreciated - not who I thought performed the best. You can run through win percentages for that but I'll warn you, it doesn't reflect well on Cwissy.
Uggggh, youve even made cruel nickname for him.
His percentage is higher than Warnock's 🤷🏻‍♂️
 



I absolutely wouldn’t put it past cannon to have a stormer this season, He’s well aware he’s got a point to prove with the fans, He’s looked sharper in pre season and demanding the ball a bit more and also been doing the Ollie Watkins off the shoulder of the last man, He’s never gonna be the quickest like ever but I think he bags 12-15 goals this season maybe more

Nurse, nurse, he got out again!
 
Clearly the intention is for Cannon to step up, that's what giving him the number 9 is all about. If he can get a partnership going with Bamford it could finally start to click for him. It's just that the evidence of the last season-and-a-half makes that feel unlikely
To get a partnership going with Bamford wed have to play 2 up front and we dont tend to do that
 
We play 2 up front if we want to win games. 3 goals in each of our play off victories against Bristol City the season before last, playing 2 up front.

With a spine of Souttar, Philips and Bamford alongside another striker other teams should be scared to play against us. That's if we improve our fitness issues.
 
We play 2 up front if we want to win games. 3 goals in each of our play off victories against Bristol City the season before last, playing 2 up front.

With a spine of Souttar, Philips and Bamford alongside another striker other teams should be scared to play against us. That's if we improve our fitness issues.
And didn't our purple patch last season coincide with us playing 4-4-2? (My memory may be patchy and I can't be arsed researching it)
 
I absolutely wouldn’t put it past cannon to have a stormer this season, He’s well aware he’s got a point to prove with the fans, He’s looked sharper in pre season and demanding the ball a bit more and also been doing the Ollie Watkins off the shoulder of the last man, He’s never gonna be the quickest like ever but I think he bags 12-15 goals this season maybe more
HaHaHahaHahaHaHaHaHaHaHa.....FFS HaHaHaHaHa.....burp
 
Dave Bassett, Warnock, Heckingbottom, Morgan, Speed, Spackman, WIlson, Clough. Kendall was OK but I wasn't going to games when he was here. my family speak fondly of Porterfield but I don't really remember much of it.
Deeply offensive that Atkins isn't in there
 



It's frustrating that he's not coming in during the beginning of pre season. I hope we are going to build him up before we let him loose so we don't break him. If he can stay fit and he's motivated he's quality.

I genuinely don't get this thinking. What would he have done here in pre season that hasn't done at Man City?

Do people think he's just been sat on his arse all summer and will only start training properly once he signs?

Or are we saying that he needs a full "Wilder pre season" as if that's some sort of magical thing that sorts out all fitness issues as the last few years would say otherwise.
 
Dave Bassett, Warnock, Heckingbottom, Morgan, Speed, Spackman, WIlson, Clough. Kendall was OK but I wasn't going to games when he was here. my family speak fondly of Porterfield but I don't really remember much of it.

Kendall was more than OK tbh but if you wren't around then it's fair enough you hold that view.
 
Better when he came in his first season, amazing stuff. Always felt in the second season we were too inconsistent and the players and him enjoyed boozing too much. Took them away to get pissed before the play-off final.
Terrific until Cowans and Ablett weren't signed on perms.
 
I genuinely don't get this thinking. What would he have done here in pre season that hasn't done at Man City?

Do people think he's just been sat on his arse all summer and will only start training properly once he signs?

Or are we saying that he needs a full "Wilder pre season" as if that's some sort of magical thing that sorts out all fitness issues as the last few years would say otherwise.

I doubt he's played any games. He's probably done the basic training and gym work. I'd be surprised if he's at 100% before the end of September. The key is to build him up without injuring him by going too hard, too soon. Hopefully he's looked after his weight and done a personal plan knowing he's going out on loan, but I wouldn't bank on it.

I think the difference between last season and the previous season was patently obvious. It couldn't have been more stark. What surprises me is that Sheffield United fans don't value pre season. In every athletic sport I follow, the pre season is pivotal. In football when I see players join late in pre season (and especially in January if they haven't been playing) I expect their impact on the side to be limited. When I see players return mid season from long term injuries I expect the same. Fitness is absolutely pivotal in elite sport and has been for the best part of 30 years.
 
Better when he came in his first season, amazing stuff. Always felt in the second season we were too inconsistent and the players and him enjoyed boozing too much. Took them away to get pissed before the play-off final.
Yeah, at least Wilder keeps them local 🍻
 
You asked which managers I appreciated - not who I thought performed the best. You can run through win percentages for that but I'll warn you, it doesn't reflect well on Cwissy.
You can’t really compare win % without factoring in the division.

Clough and Wilson winning in League One and both failing to get promoted, same
Adkins, whilst Wilder has 2 seasons in there at PL level.

I’d you want a comparison like that, compare Wilder’s League One record to them.

100 points wasn’t it?
 
If we bring in Phillips it will almost certainly be on a 'pay-as-you-play' basis, as his previous record presents a risk.

Having watched him in his short tenure at United last season, he clearly wasn't fit but his ability on the ball and reading of the game was top-class. The red card against Wednesday was justified, but I felt sorry for him as it was him being a split-second too slow and catching the man. Nothing malicious, but the sort of challenge he'd have made cleanly if he was up to speed.

I'm disappointed that if we do bring him in, it's late in the summer so he wont benefit from a proper Wilder pre-season where he's promised to emphasise fitness. I expect if he'll be used sparingly to start the season.

But if we get even half of the player he was when Man City first bought him, he will be a massive game-changer in this division. We looked light and weak in midfield last season, aside from Jairo, and someone like Phillips will add bite and a ton of quality.
What’s a proper wilder pre- season ?
Walk about v chesterfield and v Rotherham trialist don’t drink and drive courses and Dietary programmes by Hamer based on the Mouset Diet
 



Played 442 a fair bit?
I guess it depends on how u view it. For me we seemed to play Bamford up top on his own with the likes of Ohare buzzing around or Cannon playing in behind.

For me a 'proper' front two is a Deane/Agana big man fast man pairing. The closest we could get to that is probably Bamford and Cannon both playing as a front 2. However doing that makes it difficult to get Ohare and Gus both in the team and they are our two most creative players.

I think the "problem" we have is that Ohare is difficult to position and when hes in the team hes effectively the second striker without actually being an out and out striker.
 

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom