SUFC Women - worth a watch?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's the Daily Mail - what do you expect from that bunch of sub-human scumbags?
Wholeheartedly agree, fuck the Daily Mail, but there has been no club statement on this and no local media coverage.

I think it’s wise to reserve judgment either way until it becomes clear why Morgan has been asked to step away from the team.

Suitably vague so as not to clearly indicate whether it could be anything from being a bit rude, favouring some players over others, bullying or other more sinister things.

Why not get some facts before publishing?

Can they also not let Maddy rest in peace? Why does this have to be mixed in with the story? Awful.

Maybe best to reserve comment either way until we know more. Speculation on any of this is really not what the family and friends need.
That’s kind of the point he’s making but aimed - correctly - at the people involved in publishing the article.

Wholeheartedly agree, fuck the Daily Mail, but there has been no club statement on this and no local media coverage.

I think it’s wise to reserve judgment either way until it becomes clear why Morgan has been asked to step away from the team.

Today’s Telegraph

50019EFF-F0E0-4F89-9587-CE8F12C0B26E.png

This might sound a bit brutal but its just not worth 10 quid, a fiver yes, but no way am I paying a tenner.

I can jump on the X17 and watch Matlock Town for 10 quid and its better quaiity football, the same in bus fair and a nice walk afterwards.
By no means a regular watcher of the women but from the highlights the standard looks incredibly poor. I had thought of going to watch this season (despite what I've said previously) but I think I'll wait to see if they make it up another level.

If you’re after good standard football, the Manchester City men’s team are really good - might be worth exploring? TNT Sports also have a £30 per month package where you can watch Champions League games. Apparently that’s the best standard there is, so I guess it must be good value.

If you’re after good standard football, the Manchester City men’s team are really good - might be worth exploring? TNT Sports also have a £30 per month package where you can watch Champions League games. Apparently that’s the best standard there is, so I guess it must be good value.
Sorry, don't really see your point here. It's merely personal preference. I can see why it appeals to some, those with young families especially, but it's not for me from what I've seen. At the standard they play at it's a poor product for that price point, in my opinion. Why would I want to pay over the odds to watch it? I don't owe them anything and I have no real affinity towards them other than sharing the same badge. Is it unreasonable to expect a certain standard when you're handing over your money? That goes for more than just football. I don't see what's wrong with stating that other than the "thou must not criticise women's football" spiel that seems to exist in some quarters (for the record I do watch WSL games).

As I say, I understand the appeal to some. It's a much friendlier atmosphere than the men's game. To those people taking families it's must be worth the cash. Crack on - I'm not doing anything to dissuade them. That's the beauty of it, we don't all have to like the same things.

Sorry, don't really see your point here. It's merely personal preference. I can see why it appeals to some, those with young families especially, but it's not for me from what I've seen. At the standard they play at it's a poor product for that price point, in my opinion. Why would I want to pay over the odds to watch it? I don't owe them anything and I have no real affinity towards them other than sharing the same badge. Is it unreasonable to expect a certain standard when you're handing over your money? That goes for more than just football. I don't see what's wrong with stating that other than the "thou must not criticise women's football" spiel that seems to exist in some quarters (for the record I do watch WSL games).

As I say, I understand the appeal to some. It's a much friendlier atmosphere than the men's game. To those people taking families it's must be worth the cash. Crack on - I'm not doing anything to dissuade them. That's the beauty of it, we don't all have to like the same things.

Yep, I totally get that - everyone is free to follow what team / matches that they want to watch. It's just that some people only tend to think 'standard' is a factor to mention when it comes to women's football.

I have a hunch that you (and most others) probably wouldn't mention on our men's forum that you don't like going when we're in the Championship or League 1, but you'd get a season ticket in the Premier League.

At the standard they play at it's a poor product for that price point, in my opinion.

Spot on, which is exactly why I wouldn’t be going on Saturday if I was POTG, and wont be using precious holiday days and hard earned cash to travel away this season.

Anyone been to a women's away game? Will tickets be available online in the same way as men's away matches?

Anyone been to a women's away game? Will tickets be available online in the same way as men's away matches?
I’ve done Birmingham City away in the league and Man City away in the cup. Both times had to create an account with the opposition team to buy tickets

I’ve done Birmingham City away in the league and Man City away in the cup. Both times had to create an account with the opposition team to buy tickets
Oh really? Is that THE way or what you were forced to do?

I understand there's no segregation?

Oh really? Is that THE way or what you were forced to do?

I understand there's no segregation?
I don’t think United ever sell away tickets for women’s games. Some clubs do now in the WSL where there are supporters clubs and demand for it, but there’s not often segregation in place. At Birmingham it said there was going to be an away section and segregation, but when we got there there wasn’t and we just sat wherever.

I don’t think United ever sell away tickets for women’s games. Some clubs do now in the WSL where there are supporters clubs and demand for it, but there’s not often segregation in place. At Birmingham it said there was going to be an away section and segregation, but when we got there there wasn’t and we just sat wherever.
Thanks

£48, they did a discount for mens season ticket holders. Tickets for single games have been £7 this season for adults and a fiver for concessions I think. Cash only on the day or you can buy them online in advance.

Anyone interested in seeing us play away or want to watch at home before forking out £7 can follow games for free on the FA Player website and app: https://www.thefa.com/womens-girls-football/leagues-and-competitions/the-fa-player
I can't see much info on the sufc website on the women's team, I'd like to get to some games with my daughter. Can you point me in the right direction?

I can't see much info on the sufc website on the women's team, I'd like to get to some games with my daughter. Can you point me in the right direction?

There’s a link on there for tickets, but it doesn’t look like they’ve put tickets up for the next game against Southampton on the 28th Jan- would assume this is because the men’s team have a home draw in the FA Cup and may need to play on Sunday.

The only way I can ever see women’s football getting any sort of traction (crowds wise) is if it was free as part of your regular men’s season ticket, or like Rugby league changed to a summer format. Currently it’s trying to shadow the men’s game but people have only so much money and time to dedicate to football. I love watching the women’s game on TV, but being a season ticket holder my life is already heavily governed by the SUFC fixture list, asking people to effectively support two teams ain’t really gonna fly with many football fans.

The only way I can ever see women’s football getting any sort of traction (crowds wise) is if it was free as part of your regular men’s season ticket, or like Rugby league changed to a summer format. Currently it’s trying to shadow the men’s game but people have only so much money and time to dedicate to football. I love watching the women’s game on TV, but being a season ticket holder my life is already heavily governed by the SUFC fixture list, asking people to effectively support two teams ain’t really gonna fly with many football fans.

I think making it more of a family set up works, ie it's an afternoon out with partner and kids.

There aren't very many women's games to attend given that the Championship only has 12 teams, so I find that having a season ticket for both doesn't really commit me to too much time. The club do offer discounted tickets for men's season ticket holders a couple of times a season- worth looking out for if you are interested.

I go with a lot of mates that I play football with, and they aren't generally from Sheffield or Blades men's fans. They go because this is the highest standard of women's football in the local area and it's fairly cheap and easy to get to. We never used to go when it was in Chesterfield.

Agreed. I took my grandson to last season’s Luton match ! Afterwards he said he preferred women’s football as it was more exciting !!!! He has a point !

Agreed. I took my grandson to last season’s Luton match ! Afterwards he said he preferred women’s football as it was more exciting !!!! He has a point !

He certainly does, Euros semi-final against Sweden is one of the best games at the Lane this century. Russo’s back heel was fucking superb, any PL striker would have felt the tiny contact and gone down screaming for a penalty like some kind of overpaid prima-donna cheating wanker.

It’s not just that, my other half knows how much SUFC means to me. They were there before she came into my life and if we ever split up…they’ll be there to pick up the pieces.
So with her not being an avid football fan I’m grateful for how we can organises family events around the SUFC fixture list…For that reason alone, going to the women’s games doesn’t even enter my mind.

Watched the team for the first time ever today in Lewes (bottom of the league), as live fairly nearby. Lost 🫣

Seems we've got some good players at the top end of the pitch, but shape never quite seemed right to me - they often weren't close enough to each other or close enough to the goal. Centre forward obviously very capable, with a hat-trick last week, but I don't recall her having a shot this afternoon (worked hard though).

Took family, great day out. Though couldn't try the beers as had to drive.

Watched the team for the first time ever today in Lewes (bottom of the league), as live fairly nearby. Lost 🫣

Seems we've got some good players at the top end of the pitch, but shape never quite seemed right to me - they often weren't close enough to each other or close enough to the goal. Centre forward obviously very capable, with a hat-trick last week, but I don't recall her having a shot this afternoon (worked hard though).

Took family, great day out. Though couldn't try the beers as had to drive.
Interesting ground that although I went back when the far end was all grass bank and preferred it like that!

What crowds do they get? They pay their women the same as the men but I always wonder if the crowds suggest that's wise. They will be squeezed out by the professional clubs eventually

Interesting ground that although I went back when the far end was all grass bank and preferred it like that!

What crowds do they get? They pay their women the same as the men but I always wonder if the crowds suggest that's wise. They will be squeezed out by the professional clubs eventually
Attendance was 803. With presumably a fair bit of beer and food sold.

Yeah I thought they were one of the best womens teams a few years back, but I'm assuming money has changed the womens game similarly to the mens.

Back
Top Bottom