Today's ref

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Today was also I reminder to me why I've become to take it or leave it or not bother at all with the game these days. I'll start with the fact that we are not good enough to win against most teams in the Premiership and have no problems at all with that. As I've already said we are not good enough, but still, teams try to cheat us and the refs, VAR and anything else they can throw at us stick. We don't, and have never had a chance.

I don't mind losing. I've been going since the late 60's so seen it all.

What I really hate is all the cheating and VAR.

The number 29 for them today should have been sent off. You can make an honest miss timed tackle and get sent off, fair enough, but blatant cheating is allowed?

It seems? like every time we score VAR has to find a way to rule out our goal but not the teams against us?

The delays today when we scored were totally unnacceptable and I will find it hard to buy another season ticket.

Offside flagging....please don't get me started on that....
Agree with you on all that too in addition to my quote my friend ⚔️

I think the Referee was shit. But I've come away from most games thinking that since I started clicking turnstiles regularly in the late 70s.

I also think we are an absolute shambles. Selection/formation/ ability. All well well below par.

Which of the above can we do something about?

The referee today was absolutely shite. He had no idea what he was doing. He can't be immune from criticism because of the colour of his skin. He will never become a Premier League referee because he's not good enough; no other reason.

There was a lot of hooha when Sam Allison became the first black Premier League referee in 20-odd years on Boxing Day - us versus Luton. He was also shite, and has been relegated back to the Championship since then. It's not racist -in fact, it seems pretty reasonable - to think he has been fast tracked into the top division. And clearly his bosses have decided he's not good enough to referee at that level.

Neither of them should have been refereeing our matches. They weren't good enough, and we were basically used as a guinea pig so the Premier League could get a nice headline out of it (first black PL referee in 20 years! / first ever Asian PL referee!).

They are not creating a pipeline for underrepresented minorities to become top level referees. They're not making it any easier for a black/Asian referee to climb the ladder than before. They're just overpromoting underqualified refs and hailing it as a success. It's just a show. They just want the easy headlines and nice PR without actually putting the work in. That's the irritating thing for me.

...and Sunny Sing Gill (todays referee) being appointed to games of this size when they would regularly officiate in the Championship and League One as “National List” officials.
Seems like an ideal game to give someone to see if they are able to step up. Largely unimportant, low crowd, managers playing with formations, but it's between two unimportant premier league clubs...

What better game?

I think the Referee was shit. But I've come away from most games thinking that since I started clicking turnstiles regularly in the late 70s.

I also think we are an absolute shambles. Selection/formation/ ability. All well well below par.

Which of the above can we do something about?
Just remember the WHU match.

Where is this debate, exactly? On Matt Le Tissier's timeline?

I can't believe how much fans go on about refs. Who gives a fuck? Where they're from, why they're there, where they're from, or even whether they're any good?

oH sO yOu DoNt CaRe AbOuT sHeFfIeLd UnItEd BeInG sHaFtEd

No, I don't. It's pure victim mentality.

I genuinely didn’t think the ref was terrible. Both were penalties. Big decisions correct. Brighton are a superb team. We lost.

And let’s keep in mind that the horror that is VAR was introduced precisely because people cannot accept refereeing errors. People brought that on themselves. Own it.

I genuinely didn’t think the ref was terrible. Both were penalties. Big decisions correct. Brighton are a superb team. We lost.

And let’s keep in mind that the horror that is VAR was introduced precisely because people cannot accept refereeing errors. People brought that on themselves. Own it.

I thought the ref was awful even if you think he got the penalty calls correct.

He missed them cleaning out our players off the ball and barely got his card out for any of their fouls. We tug a player back to stop a counter = yellow card, 5 minutes later they do the same = just a free kick or play on

Nothing to do with his ethnic background. Couldn’t give a toss about that to be honest.

My issue with him is that he fell for all their play acting, could hardly wait to book our players and just generally seemed to favour them.

Even the first pen could have done with a second look. Joao Pedro went down in more installments than my yearly mortgage. In a sense it probably was a foul but the theatrics were embarrassing; it was 10% foul, 90% cheating the way he went down. I half expected the Kop to lift up boards with ‘10’ and ‘9’ for the quality of the dive.

Not going to blame him for the pens though you felt if they went the other way he’d have ignored the calls. The foul on Larouci, I thought the pigeons were back and had distracted him.

Needs to do far better.

But I suppose with all the furore after the West Ham game, it seems we weren’t allowed to get anything this week!

I thought the penalty calls were spot on
Soft as shite but spot on
The osula one was as much a pen though and that's what I don't get and what frustrates me
Also Brightons tactical diving was completely endorsed by the ref who probably has the same pre conceived thought processes around us as mark clattenburg
I. E Brighton player on floor must mean a nasty sheff utd man has fouled him
So free kick Brighton and yellow card Sheffield
Sheff utd man on floor, play on

The osula one was as much a pen though and that's what I don't get and what frustrates me
Also Brightons tactical diving was completely endorsed by the ref who probably has the same pre conceived thought processes around us as mark clattenburg
When was the Osula one roughly? I wouldn’t mind seeing that again.

Never booked them for some of their more blatant dives either. Where they just got back up immediately, as he didn't give them the free kick.

Some of their diving in the second half was just embarrassing. Why do they even need to?

Another referee promoted well above his ability to fill inclusivity quotas. Absolutely miles out of his depth.

Either that or match fixing it was that bad.
Had no idea Donald Trump was a Blade🙄

I know it would make little difference, but this has really pissed me off. How can they check both our goals for 5mins which were clearly onside and not check this?
Disgraceful missing that. Just shows how shit the current level of officiating is.

Some of their diving in the second half was just embarrassing. Why do they even need to?

How many of these "dives" were actual dives that would result in a yellow card for the Brighton player, and how many of these were them just making the most of fouls by United, where Brighton lacked the confidence that the ref would make a correct decision if they stayed on their feet had they lost the ball?

How many of these "dives" were actual dives that would result in a yellow card for the Brighton player, and how many of these were them just making the most of fouls by United, where Brighton lacked the confidence that the ref would make a correct decision if they stayed on their feet had they lost the ball?

There were a number of quite theatrical dives in the second half.

The referee was a cunt and is probably a virgin. I think he'll have half a dozen cats and spend his time watching old black and white films, eating buttered scones that he baked earlier. I bet he drinks really weak tea with no milk and sugar and gets aroused watching repeats of the 80's kids gameshow 'Runaround' with Mike Reid. Twat!

Back
Top Bottom