CONFIRMED Ivo Grbic signs for the Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

A few differences online…. Some articles say 33 years old and others 28…. For a GK the difference probably doesn’t matter as both are a prime age.

YouTube highlight reel was good to watch… for a tall guy he gets down low to block and save well and appears to use his whole body to block. Sadly, YouTube, doesn’t show the routine aspects of: commanding area, communication, dealing with crosses and distribution.

Atletico Madrid have benefitted from Andrea Berto (Technical Director) who over the past 10 years or so has been involved in a lot of their scouting and recruitment. Whilst there is no guaranteed recipe for success, on the whole, Atletico‘s recruitment over many years has yielded more positives than negatives…. It’s an open minded ‘yes’ from me!

A few differences online…. Some articles say 33 years old and others 28…. For a GK the difference probably doesn’t matter as both are a prime age.

YouTube highlight reel was good to watch… for a tall guy he gets down low to block and save well and appears to use his whole body to block. Sadly, YouTube, doesn’t show the routine aspects of: commanding area, communication, dealing with crosses and distribution.

Atletico Madrid have benefitted from Andrea Berto (Technical Director) who over the past 10 years or so has been involved in a lot of their scouting and recruitment. Whilst there is no guaranteed recipe for success, on the whole, Atletico‘s recruitment over many years has yielded more positives than negatives…. It’s an open minded ‘yes’ from me!

He's 28 🙂

Never heard of him! Suprised we are spending money cannot see it being the reported £2m when he’s got 6 months left on his deal.

But a big lad and with some pedigree. Think it’s a good long term plan as long as he’s been scouted thoroughly. We have needed a stand out GK for some time so hopefully he’s the one.

Aye
Can I be first to say (informed by absolutely nowt ) - in keeping with (most of) the rest of this thread - why the fuck didn’t we go for Moldovan - cheaper & clearly a better keeper
Exactly my words to lads yesterday. That Romanian keeper is gonna be very good in a few years

Wilder said yesterday that we all knew we wouldn't be spending money in the transfer window, then backtracked a little by saying unless it was a brilliant deal.
I'd be very surprised if we pay £2m for this guy.

Keeping my powder dry on this one. I can remember how excited I got about our last big GK signing, Olsen. Plus how underwhelmed I was when we bought Wes and he served us pretty well over past few seasons.

Just proves I know nowt about football, that’s why I’ve always followed the Blades.

Thing is with YouTube highlight reels is, we could make wes look like prime buffon with some of his excellent saves for us... it wouldn't show rest of is game or any of the mistakes done. That's why you take YouTube with a big pinch of salt.

As with any player we sign, I shall hold judgment on the games he plays for us. At 6ft5 adds to much need height to the squad and with a bit of hope and regular game time is dominant in the air/crosses for us, to ease the pressure off our defence.

You'd like to think he adds experience from the very top (although not playing regularly).

With Wes contract expiring, will his last match in a blades shirt be tomorrow. With Davies also moved on and Amissah or another new youngster brought in as back up

Horatiu doesn’t want to play for us possibly ??
More to the point Grbic is out of contract and doesn't want to sign a new one, with wanting to go and play regular football and so Madrid are getting what they can for him. They may like to keep him as back up/third choice.

Also with him out of contract wouldn't we be able to sign him on a pre contract for the summer? And thus pay a very small fee now to get him in now for remainder of the season rather than wait till summer (this is why we don't read too much into the figure).

Never heard of him! Suprised we are spending money cannot see it being the reported £2m when he’s got 6 months left on his deal.

But a big lad and with some pedigree. Think it’s a good long term plan as long as he’s been scouted thoroughly. We have needed a stand out GK for some time so hopefully he’s the one.
Well, given you said we weren’t spending anything on a keeper, I’m not surprised you’re surprised.
Nevermind though, I’m sure you’ll have some ingenious way of making yourself right which will make no sense to anyone else.

I've actually watched quite a few extended highlights from his previous games for Atletico where they show chances, rather than just a show reel of saves, for a big lad he does look very cautious coming out for crosses and corners. On the flip side, he likes to run out to try and close down strikers who are gearing up for a shot. Vini actually scored a header against him in a 3-3 draw with Espanyol in May 23.

You can't get the full picture though from highlights from 7 months ago, a different team with different defenders and strikers in a different league.

I don't remember feeling particularly excited when Wes joined after a few of my Rangers supporting mates said he was useless.

We have a decent goal keeping coaching team and he'll have been training weekly with one of the best in Oblak. I can only see positives out of this in terms of pushing the other keepers for competition, a big 6 foot 5 keeper between the sticks and the idea our coaching team might be able to teach him a trick or two as they have done with previous keepers for us.

Wouldn't be surprised if we go in for the lad at Rotherham again in the summer and have these 2 fighting for the first team shirt. That's the position we need to be in. 2 quality keepers pushing each other on to higher standards with a quality young back up preferably from the academy.

Back
Top Bottom