CONFIRMED Cameron Archer signs for the Blades - 4 year contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

True, didn't he get 18 goals in 40 games or something like that?

In terms of league goals he got 11 in 20 games for Boro last season and 7 in 20 games for Preston the season before.

He's also had a handful of Premier League appearances, which Brewster didn't have before joining us

So if true and we go down, which lets face it, is the most likely option, we're in the same position again in 12 months time of needing a striker. Except this time we'll have another 3 out of contract (Jebbison, McBurnie & Osula), so we'll need 3 strikers - assuming they won't sign which isn't looking very likely at the moment.

We really are the masters of kicking the can down the road for another 12 months and putting ourselves in a weaker and weaker position.
Aye
Because you’re ITK about the state of play regarding contracts for those 3 & indeed anyone else ?
Probably time to start fretting about Egan & Baldock

This is the thing though Bob. We only pay £18m if we stay up, at which point (you would hope) Archer will have played a part in securing a further £120m+ of income for the club. At that point £18m is a sound investment.

I don't disagree that Archer seems expensive at £18m but equally these are the other PL signings with a similar profile to Archer
Brentford: Kevin Schade (21, £22m). Scored 5 goals in 32 Bundesliga appearances (8 starts) and has yet to score in 20 PL games (8 starts).
Brighton: João Pedro (21, £30m). Has 4 PL goals (inc 1 penalty) in 31 appearances (16 starts)
Burnley: Zeki Amdouni (22, £16m). Scored 24 goals in 66 Swiss top flight appearances (53 starts) and 7 in 11 UEFA Conference League games (8 starts)
Everton: Chermiti (CF, 19, £10m). Scored 3 goals in 16 Liga Portugal appearances (9 starts)
Spurs: Alejo Véliz (CF, 19, £13m). Scored 17 goals in 53 Argentinian top flight appearances (42 starts)

United: Cameron Archer (CF, 21, £18m). Scored 18 goals in 40 Championship appearances (35 starts). No goals in 10 PL appearances (0 starts, total of 72 minutes)

At £18m, Archer sits exactly where you would expect in relation to those.
Goal scorers cost money. It's the most important job on the field. It's as simple as that really.

It seems on the face of it a deal that works for all parties.

I think the Brewster situation is all over this deal, once bitten and all that.
Bloody hell. Please explain why.

Essentially every 21 year old young English player that’s had a good run in the championship is now put in the same Brewster category?

Archer literally tore us a new one a few months ago.

If archer keeps us up and scores a load of goals then he stays with us. If he doesn’t and we’re relegated then he goes back to Villa. It’s a no lose situation.

If true, we're certainly being cautious.
Maybe overcautious? If he has a good season but we still go down, we'd probably double our money by selling him.
True, but we're obviously not spoiled for options and depending on the numbers this could significantly lower our risk. A big issue for us is if we go down and are landed with expensive players on big wages. The problem with loans is we'd spend money to be in the same position next year.

Stay up, you've got the player that kept you up. Go down, you eat the short term loss but don't have the liability going forward. It always comes down to the actual numbers but I can see that making sense.

That has been discussed at length in the CAMERON ARCHER thread
I had a quick look and didn't see that. Sorry, if that's the case. I also have to say that some folk don't encourage older folk like me from making contributions on here. I'm excited by this prospect and just thought some of this information might be new to some people.

I had a quick look and didn't see that. Sorry, if that's the case. I also have to say that some folk don't encourage older folk like me from making contributions on here. I'm excited by this prospect and just thought some of this information might be new to some people.
Just join in the thread that already exists then ;)

Went in last night with £18.5million. Accepted.Deal done, fee and terms agreed. He is coming over right now to start his medical this afternoon
fun-without-me-jeff-winger.gif

It's here mate

Page 80 onwards is all today's chat

Bloody hell. Please explain why.

Essentially every 21 year old young English player that’s had a good run in the championship is now put in the same Brewster category?

Archer literally tore us a new one a few months ago.

If archer keeps us up and scores a load of goals then he stays with us. If he doesn’t and we’re relegated then he goes back to Villa. It’s a no lose situation.
Because I can't think of any other reason we are being so cautious

Ignore the piss taking lot, we are all new on here at some point, and they don't take us dinosaurs lack of technology knowledge into account sometimes , stuff like this is normally in the rumours section, probably why you didn't see it

Plenty of us don't give a fuck which thread anyone posts in, so don't worry on our behalf.

True, but we're obviously not spoiled for options and depending on the numbers this could significantly lower our risk. A big issue for us is if we go down and are landed with expensive players on big wages. The problem with loans is we'd spend money to be in the same position next year.

Stay up, you've got the player that kept you up. Go down, you eat the short term loss but don't have the liability going forward. It always comes down to the actual numbers but I can see that making sense.
It proves our difficult it is to sign players these days. We'd really need to put in a relegation clause, however if this may stop the player signing.

Fair way of thinking about it based on what we know;

- Archer good/great season - chance of United staying up far better. If Villa came calling we may have to sell for double what we bought him for = 18m+ profit (minus wages) plus we bank another years premier league money

Archer poor/average season- United stay up chances = less likely but if we did Villa may think against activating buyback. But we get the Premier league money, have a 1 year more experienced Archer. Downside eats into next years striker budget a bit and we may only have funds for one more average priced striker. This scenario is a normal transfer scenario

Archer good/great season- United relegated. This sucks as we lose him but get our fee more pr less back and overall the deal was a good one after all Archer played well and this was the only way to get him. Next young Star striker off the Premier League conveyerbelt may fancy joining us as we are good for careers.

Archer poor/average season - we get relegated. Everyone will be fine with him leaving and getting our money back. Our young strikers that we own will all be a year more experienced and hopefully 2 of them realise their potential.

Brewster double whammy of injuries + relegation avoided unless it happens in year 2.

New owners may even try to pay our way out of the clauses if he is doing well.
Rocket, regarding your last point, I appreciate you get bits regarding incomings and outgoings but do you hear anything about a possible sale? A few days ago there was a bit about a rich Saudi which went as soon as it came but any news?

Just watched his reel again (3rd time today) the speed this lad plays his football at is like nothing I’ve seen (arguably faster than back stabbing Ndiaye). He provides so many assists for some lucky guy stood in the middle to tap in. Hope we don’t try to slow him down to our snails pace build up.

Long way to go but he can be our next legend up front and Harmer same in MF. Nice thing is like Hamer he’s our player not a development player for someone else.

Got to say can’t believe the bulk of the discussion on here is bickering about deal structure and fees etc. stop it, revel in the fact we have landed one great player and are on the cusp of landing another great player. I’m bursting inside, yes we need a couple more to make this a great window but watch the goals and get wax lyrical about football not contracts cause football is gonna be brilliant with these latest signings

Excited for archer. Buzzing. Well done to the board, hecky etc for this one.

I think the lad has a very bright future. He reminds me in his style a little bit like greenwood but without the rapey vibes.

I appreciate rocket, rifle, t-blade for keeping us entertained whilst we waited!

UTB!!

Self-censored as I was being needlessly unkind

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom