CONFIRMED Iliman Ndiaye to Marseille

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I dunno - £17m for someone unproven at Prem level when he could basically go for free in January........

What am I missing?

Yes I think he's bloody good by the way.
Considering Coventry got more for someone in the same situation without the premier league status...17 million wouldn't be anywhere near decent value even if he wanted to go

Considering Coventry got more for someone in the same situation without the premier league status...17 million wouldn't be anywhere near decent value even if he wanted to go
Confirmed then. The football word has gone officially bonkers. I agree that NDiaye's ceiling is probably higher than Gyork...Gy....that Coventry bloke.

I don’t get what’s hard to understand why he may sign a new deal.

1- he was never unhappy here, just stated he would love to play for his boyhood team. No harm in that…however.
2- he has baggage in the form of a young family and wife. Football though important to him will be second to that. It was always going to form part of his consideration…where are his parents and hers for support with kids etc!!
3- Money was not his main focus, being the best he can be is. Would he play and be the main man at Marseille? Maybe not, but sure to be here with how he’s integral to the current managers system.
4- United were and continue to be willing to make him the top earner in the team, showing how much he means to the club. Granted we can’t compete with OM or the rest of the prem but football reasons trump that to Illy.
5- united can pay him very well while in the Prem…meaning for this year he is likely to earn £2.5m at least I would suggest. Millionaire overnight. He has an incentive to perform and maintain that salary, and if it goes tits up an agreed release clause should ensure he keeps or likely increases salary’s elsewhere.
6- even if nobody meets the release clause, he’s unlikely to drop below £1m a year. Not shabby!!
7- age- he’s still young, has lots to learn and time to make those moves when he’s learned his trade completely. Why the rush?

So when push comes to shove we actually hold a strong hand. Granted, the inability to get this sorted 12-18 mi the ago is poor by the club, it was clear what we had and he should have been rewarded and encouraged to commit beyond next season. Just because he was contracted doesn’t mean that good performances and behaviour shouldnt be rewarded with improved terms and a rolling deal.
PA and his financial issues are the cause of the problem, but hopefully will soon be resolved

Yep. OM isn't a big stage in modern football. People on here are deluded about that. He'd essentially be swapping the PL stage for a Champions League qualifying campaign and likely exit before they'd got out of the group stage. The matches, in truth, before everyone's eyes are really focused on the competition and a player can really make a name for themselves. For context Sander Berge has done that already and he voluntarily moved from that type of spotlight to United. It's essentially a move from a Broadway stage to appear at the Rotherham CIvic - if they aren't tearing up the CL. . Mbappe has done extraordinary things for club and country since he's been at at PSG, and he hasn't yet managed to win the Ballon d'or over the people playing in the big leagues. If that's Ndiaye's ambition - there's the bar and a cautionary tale to go with it.. The danger is he's swayed by largely sentimental reasons: his club, language, culture. The trappings of the city of Marseille. The Everton move should've been much more attractive on paper: new ground on the horizon, loaded owner, pay big wages etc. A big club in a big league.

Last edited:
Statistically Gykores has a better season than Ndiaye I think. Neither have prem league experience.

But what do your eyes tell you?

There’s stuff Ndaiye does that Gykores couldn’t dream of. illiman has multiple goals starting off in his own half - there aren’t many people in the world that can pull off some of the stuff he attempts

Not to say Gykores is a bad player, but if you offered me a swap there’s no way I’m not taking illiman

Last edited:
Yep. OM isn't a big stage in modern football. People on here are deluded about that. He'd essentially be swapping the PL stage for a Champions League qualifying campaign and likely exit before they'd got out of the group stage. The matches, in truth, before everyone's eyes are really focused on the competition and a player can really make a name for themselves. For context Sander Berge has done that already and he voluntarily moved from that type of spotlight to United. It's essentially a move from a Broadway stage to appear at the Rotherham CIvic - if they aren't tearing up the CL. . Mbappe has done extraordinary things for club and country since he's been at at PSG, and he hasn't yet managed to win the Ballon d'or over the people playing in the big leagues. If that's Ndiaye's ambition - there's the bar and a cautionary tale to go with it.. The danger is he's swayed by largely sentimental reasons: his club, language, culture. The trappings of the city of Marseille. The Everton move should've been much more attractive on paper: new ground on the horizon, loaded owner, pay big wages etc. A big club in a big league.

The Everton move should have been more attractive….???

Big club my arse. Been years since they were looking to achieve anything other than survival. Should have gone down over last couple of years. That’s excluding the fact they are a Basket case club under FFP sanctions and Managed by Sean Dyche who’s ideal creative player is Ashley Barnes Ffs.

Marsaille were rumoured to be paying alexis Sanchez over €115k a week - it’s not like they would be asking him to work for free. They will be regularly playing European football (even if not Cl knockouts) challenging for titles and cups and that’s excluding the fact they average 55-60k fans a week in a stadium that holds 70k compared to Everton at 38k. They have won a champions league in recent memory too.

The delusion is really that the PL is the be all and end all for footballers. It’s really not - while it’s not to say it’s not attractive to play here (Ndaiye staying would prove that ). But We really have to stop being so insular about it

What is the most watched league in the world?

Watched in countries that have their own leagues of reasonable size too.

If you want to be seen at the best clubs in the world then the PL is where it’s at.
If not the PL then it’s PSG, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern and maybe Juve and Milan.
Any other European club and it’s not really of interest outside those clubs.

So although OM may well be bigger in terms of recent success, stadium and all that, the fact they won’t win owt of note and they aren’t in a league like the PL means he would become just another player.
Before all this started I wouldn’t have been able to name you one OM player…Ndiaye would go the same way.

What is the most watched league in the world?

Watched in countries that have their own leagues of reasonable size too.

If you want to be seen at the best clubs in the world then the PL is where it’s at.
If not the PL then it’s PSG, Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern and maybe Juve and Milan.
Any other European club and it’s not really of interest outside those clubs.

So although OM may well be bigger in terms of recent success, stadium and all that, the fact they won’t win owt of note and they aren’t in a league like the PL means he would become just another player.
Before all this started I wouldn’t have been able to name you one OM player…Ndiaye would go the same way.

More than one way to skin at cat.

You’re telling my if say Ndaiye inspired Marseilles to some European success and the league title - he wouldn’t have the same level of global interest that Napoli’s team have at the moment. ‘Elite’ teams after half of them.

Given what’s happening at PSG they could well win the league next season.

More than one way to skin at cat.

You’re telling my if say Ndaiye inspired Marseilles to some European success and the league title - he wouldn’t have the same level of global interest that Napoli’s team have at the moment. ‘Elite’ teams after half of them.

Given what’s happening at PSG they could well win the league next season.
I don’t think Marseille see Illy as the player to win them the league otherwise they wouldn’t be looking at Aubamyang and failing to meet the ridiculously low fee for Ndiaye.

I don’t think Marseille see Illy as the player to win them the league otherwise they wouldn’t be looking at Aubamyang and failing to meet the ridiculously low fee for Ndiaye.

The player to win them the league is whoever injures PSG's galactico of the month

The Everton move should have been more attractive….???

Big club my arse. Been years since they were looking to achieve anything other than survival. Should have gone down over last couple of years. That’s excluding the fact they are a Basket case club under FFP sanctions and Managed by Sean Dyche who’s ideal creative player is Ashley Barnes Ffs.

Marsaille were rumoured to be paying alexis Sanchez over €115k a week - it’s not like they would be asking him to work for free. They will be regularly playing European football (even if not Cl knockouts) challenging for titles and cups and that’s excluding the fact they average 55-60k fans a week in a stadium that holds 70k compared to Everton at 38k. They have won a champions league in recent memory too.

The delusion is really that the PL is the be all and end all for footballers. It’s really not - while it’s not to say it’s not attractive to play here (Ndaiye staying would prove that ). But We really have to stop being so insular about it

That's not big money these days. Far from it. And he's supposedly their highest earner. I doubt Ndiaye would get anywhere near that.

Everton will be playing in a state of the art stadium holding just shy of 53,000 soon, so the difference will be smaller. They have a storied history of league and cup wins. Neither club are a major threat for the two biggest major trophies these days, but Everton have the bigger platform to give a player the stepping stone to a top club . Even if you win the French League it's small beer globally. Dyche is a top class operator who proved it again last year. The snobbishness around his work is laughable tbh. Who was he supposed to buy at Burnley?

The average attendance in France is smaller than the average in the Prem. If historical stadia and crowds are a big draw for a player it's light years ahead in attractiveness

The Premier League is the biggest League in the world. After that there are four more attractive leagues than the French top flight. Any player would be better of choosing any of them. That's the cosmopolitan, broad minded outlook here. That's why most of the top players ply their trade here over France despite the weather. It's not even close. Ndiaye will choose between insular sentimental reasons and sporting and longer term financial ambition. I hope he puts football first. One good season and the big boys will come in.

That's not big money these days. Far from it. And he's supposedly their highest earner. I doubt Ndiaye would get anywhere near that.

Everton will be playing in a state of the art stadium holding just shy of 53,000 soon, so the difference will be smaller. They have a storied history of league and cup wins. Neither club are a major threat for the two biggest major trophies these days, but Everton have the bigger platform to give a player the stepping stone to a top club . Even if you win the French League it's small beer globally. Dyche is a top class operator who proved it again last year. The snobbishness around his work is laughable tbh. Who was he supposed to buy at Burnley?

The average attendance in France is smaller than the average in the Prem. If historical stadia and crowds are a big draw for a player it's light years ahead in attractiveness

The Premier League is the biggest League in the world. After that there are four more attractive leagues than the French top flight. Any player would be better of choosing any of them. That's the cosmopolitan, broad minded outlook here. That's why most of the top players ply their trade here over France despite the weather. It's not even close. Ndiaye will choose between insular sentimental reasons and sporting and longer term financial ambition. I hope he puts football first. One good season and the big boys will come in.
Thought all work on Evertons stadium had been stopped since Moshiri put the club up for sale after the disgusting fan protests and attacks on players/board members.

Back
Top Bottom