Jack Robinson...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Our second season in PL JLT came in at LCB when JOC got injured. Had a really poor start lots of mistakes cost us goals and points but at Forest he played LWB I believe so playing out of position. However as season progressed he grew into job and ended the season quite strongly and held his own in PL. Last 2 seasons yes he has been prone to errors but overall he has been good and certainly worth keeping in my view. Great attitude and some vital goals. Hope we can keep him.

He has got better each season for us in my opinion. He's a player who when he has a bad game its a VERY bad game, but on the flip side he has had some immense games too. Club will be recruiting in his position and dos he want a 1 year deal as back up? maybe not.

I remember seeing several similar comments last season but the reality was that Anel received 7 more yellow cards than Robinson did. And Robinson wasn’t sent off once was he?
You may well be right, however I just think his style of play will see the bookings he got in the championship become closer to reds in the Premier League

You may well be right, however I just think his style of play will see the bookings he got in the championship become closer to reds in the Premier League

Which of the bookings he got this season in the Championship would be reds in the Premiership?

Which of the bookings he got this season in the Championship would be reds in the Premiership?

I think he would have dismissed for his body slam at home to Hull and possibly his push away at Millwall. Both off the ball though so hopefully he'd be smarter doing it next season

I guess I wasn't referring to specific incidents, more a general observation that there is less tolerance in the Premier League to players of Robinson's ilk by referees and also opposition players are more adept at drawing challenges that might result in the player being penalised. I'm not especially being critical of Robinson, I replied to someone else in another post that I like him and acknowledge his improvements, I just think there's greater risk for him at the higher level.

I guess I wasn't referring to specific incidents, more a general observation that there is less tolerance in the Premier League to players of Robinson's ilk by referees and also opposition players are more adept at drawing challenges that might result in the player being penalised. I'm not especially being critical of Robinson, I replied to someone else in another post that I like him and acknowledge his improvements, I just think there's greater risk for him at the higher level.

But as we’ve seen this season someone like Anel, for example, is much more prone to a badly timed tackle and a subsequent booking and yet he doesn’t get the same lazy accusations levelled at him.

We don’t have to beat Arsenal & Citee every game we play
We just have to compete better than
Luton , Burnley , Everton , Florest , Bournemouth
Maybe Wolves with a points deduction

But having secured the backup & part of the backbone Hecky can now fill in the gaps with loans etc

PS
I think Wes will be fine
And hope Brewster will at last justify his pricetag
A team like us needs to be competitive from day one. I don’t think this takeover is going to come quick enough for that.

But as we’ve seen this season someone like Anel, for example, is much more prone to a badly timed tackle and a subsequent booking and yet he doesn’t get the same lazy accusations levelled at him.
Fair enough, this is a thread about Jack Robinson though, so my observation/opinion was on him. As I've already said, I like him, but there's no denying his more combative style will make him more noticed; whether that's fair or warranted is a different matter.

I honestly don’t think that Jack Robinson is a first choice premier league defender.The problem is the permitted squad numbers will consist of players who are not ‘first picks’ who are only called upon when injuries or suspensions occur.We will not have the luxury of a bench full of premiership quality players,Robinson,Fleck,Osborn are just not good enough and will only play the occasional game,the new recruits will make their game time even less.

It might be the best deal he gets. But personally I find one year a little insulting for someone who has nailed down a starting spot.

I would have thought 2+1 in the club's favour would have been a fair approach.

Fleck and Osborn I understand. With his contribution the last 12 months Fleck couldn't ask for more. For Ozzy, if this was off the back of the prior season perhaps he could also push for 2+1 but given he was out injured a bit then his own stupidity (or that of his mates) could have cost us promotion he also can't complain.

For Robbo I'd probably be a bit irked and be looked to renegotiate as soon as the new ownership starts, though there should be a queue then with Egan and Baldock near the front and hopefully the likes of Jebbo and Osula not far back.

i can understand robbo being offered a 1 year deal but cant for the life of me see the point of giving fleck and osborn new deals at premier league level they can be no more than 3rd choices
In order to have a full squad you need a few “3rd choices”

I think most of us feel Robbo would only be a backup but he's still a decent backup and has done really well last season. So the fact he's not signed in time to come back to the pre-season training worries me a little as surely if it was a formality it would have happened by now. The club and/or Robbo/agent need to get this sorted quickly, unless they already have and it means he's going elsewhere which would be a shame in fairness.

But specifically though? Which challenges? I want to be able to prove you wrong.

Not offering him 2 years (guaranteed) is silly

We're in trouble at LCB if he leaves. Whoever we sign will have no backup until RND is fit, whenever that may be

And if we go down Robinson is exactly the sort you want in the squad, as he proved

Egan's played LCB for Ireland quite a bit. I'd imagine he'd move over to the left, with Anel in the middle and Bash on the right if we really need to. We don't necessarily need a left footed LCB anymore, as we no longer make the same marauding runs from defence under Hecky.

Egan's played LCB for Ireland quite a bit. I'd imagine he'd move over to the left, with Anel in the middle and Bash on the right if we really need to. We don't necessarily need a left footed LCB anymore, as we no longer make the same marauding runs from defence under Hecky.
I think moving Anel to the middle would mean he could get forward much less than when he is on the right. He might get booked less but on the right his forward runs might be crucial in getting the ball into the opposition half

I think moving Anel to the middle would mean he could get forward much less than when he is on the right. He might get booked less but on the right his forward runs might be crucial in getting the ball into the opposition half
I'm not sure. Last season we only really had an attacking threat down the right as Egan and Robinson are poor on the ball. If Ahmedhodzic is central then there's nothing stopping him stepping out through the middle with the ball and creating attacks that way. It would make us a bit more solid as the two wide centre halves could be tasked with keeping the shape and it may also help our chronic midfield problems if AA is stepping in.

I'm not sure. Last season we only really had an attacking threat down the right as Egan and Robinson are poor on the ball. If Ahmedhodzic is central then there's nothing stopping him stepping out through the middle with the ball and creating attacks that way. It would make us a bit more solid as the two wide centre halves could be tasked with keeping the shape and it may also help our chronic midfield problems if AA is stepping in.
We looked so fluid in attacks at the start of the season with RND & Lowe down the left. The way we play we need players joining in with attacks or the front 2 get isolated quite quickly. When Robinson plays we probably look a bit more solid defensively and less likely to be hit on the break but less enjoyable on the eye.

For large parts of the second half of the season we wasn't great to watch & grinded out a lot of our results. A new LCB is a must but we also need a back up to Egan as well. Be interesting to see if RND appears in any pre-season games. Surely he can't be too far off!

I expect it's probably more to do with him knowing he won't be first choice next season, which is absolutely the correct choice. We need better than him starting at LCB to have a hope of staying up.

Maybe he's thought he'd rather go back to the Championship and sign as a first choice somewhere? Wouldn't blame him if so. His time with us has been mixed to say the least where we've seen the best and worst of him, and thankfully more good than bad last season which will mean it's a shame to lose him, but I wouldn't blame the club as we absolutely do need to strengthen in this position and sign someone better.

With the way that fleck, enda, Clarke etc all dropped off as they were into their new long term deals - you can understand the club being wary of going too long and tying people to PL contracts when we are likely to be back in the championship in 12 months.

With the way that fleck, enda, Clarke etc all dropped off as they were into their new long term deals - you can understand the club being wary of going too long and tying people to PL contracts when we are likely to be back in the championship in 12 months.

There is no such thing as "PL contracts"

There is no such thing as "PL contracts"

Of course there is. There’s an wage floor for agents getting PL clients to sign

Average wage in the premier league is c60k a week. You think all the players weren’t demanding a significant wage rise when we got promoted or had clauses reflecting that.

We pay Robinson 30/40k a week as a 2 year contract a it comes back to bite us when we are relegated and he’s still on 20k a week or so. Instead of say 10k

We pay Robinson 30/40k a week as a 2 year contract a it comes back to bite us when we are relegated and he’s still on 20k a week or so. Instead of say 10k

Well it will if you're idiotic enough to have an insufficient relegation clause

Back
Top Bottom