Munneh

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Nicolaus_Copernicus

Self imposed break
Reaction score
It’s just been revealed that Southampton received £102.5m this season from TV & Prize money in the PL. Leeds received £110.2m and Leicester £111.2m.

The likely parachute payments that a relegated team can receive under the current arrangement is £94m.

So, at the very worst, that’s the best part of £200m we’re in for, and that’s not including the increase in sponsorship, ticketing and corporate revenues for at least 1 season.

Let’s use it wisely, eh?

It’s just been revealed that Southampton received £102.5m this season from TV & Prize money in the PL. Leeds received £110.2m and Leicester £111.2m.

The likely parachute payments that a relegated team can receive under the current arrangement is £94m.

So, at the very worst, that’s the best part of £200m we’re in for, and that’s not including the increase in sponsorship, ticketing and corporate revenues for at least 1 season.

Let’s use it wisely, eh?
It will not all be there to use. We already have very significant monthly expenditure which will increase substantially in the PL.
We will also “lose” the income from this season in the sense that we cannot receive the Championship income.

The main priority is to make the side as competitive as possible next season, with one eye on the following season in case relegation does occur. Everything else can and should wait.

With the same people around as last time (apart from CW pushing for the signing of overpriced English based players only), let's hope lessons can be learned from 2020/21 - better value for money from transfer fees with more eyes on European leagues than the Champ, more effective use of loans, particularly from European leagues, more weighting to paying larger salaries than paying fees etc.

4-5 perms to replace and improve on current players with another 4-5 high quality loans will give them a fighting chance next season and escape the trap all three relegated sides this season have fallen into - having £100m+ wage bills and difficulty in making changes to reduce it without have a decimating effect on the squad. Leicester in particular will have almost a totally different side in Aug to the one that finished this season.

We should be able to cope with a first team of 16 on no more than 50k a week each then.

Go on Hecky get them frees in.

How far off a Cat 1 academy are we?
Is it more the staff or the facilities?
We can't very far off, our academy is brilliant.

I’ll admit to not being sure… sure there are more informed people on the site but thought I’d read it was facilities…. I.E number of full-size pitches we have available.

Which feels like it would be an expensive outlay to sort I. Terms of the infrastructure side and development.

Could be a long term benefit though in terms of being able to hold onto our best youngsters.

I’ll admit to not being sure… sure there are more informed people on the site but thought I’d read it was facilities…. I.E number of full-size pitches we have available.

Which feels like it would be an expensive outlay to sort I. Terms of the infrastructure side and development.

Could be a long term benefit though in terms of being able to hold onto our best youngsters.
I'm not saying it's not a priority by the way, it's more I can't believe we aren't already.
There seems to be loads of benefits and positive rules that suit Cat 1 clubs.

Let’s use it wisely, eh?
How much do we get now for promotion?

I’d like a cat 1 academy and improved scouting infrastructure out of any PL cash.
Does having Cat 1 mean other Cat 1 clubs can't take our youngsters or is it just that they'll be less likely to jump ship when the 'big boys' come calling because we'll be better?

The main priority is to make the side as competitive as possible next season, with one eye on the following season in case relegation does occur. Everything else can and should wait.

With the same people around as last time (apart from CW pushing for the signing of overpriced English based players only), let's hope lessons can be learned from 2020/21 - better value for money from transfer fees with more eyes on European leagues than the Champ, more effective use of loans, particularly from European leagues, more weighting to paying larger salaries than paying fees etc.

4-5 perms to replace and improve on current players with another 4-5 high quality loans will give them a fighting chance next season and escape the trap all three relegated sides this season have fallen into - having £100m+ wage bills and difficulty in making changes to reduce it without have a decimating effect on the squad. Leicester in particular will have almost a totally different side in Aug to the one that finished this season.
If the budget is £20m then that's not going to go far for 3/5 permanent signings that will be good enough. I know many quote Anel as an example of value in Europe but at the same time there's many who come from abroad who don't adjust and then just take up a wage for their contract. I think it'll be more likely 1/2 permanent signings, maybe O'Brien will be one those, he certainly will be worth signing and won't cost the earth and he will be a great signing for the next few years.

*Edit: I agree with your working out. £33m + (£33m/55*45) + (£33m/55*20) = £72m
I'm being really slow this morning but if we come back down we'd only be eligible for two years' parachute payments. Year one is 55% of the base payment to all PL clubs and was £44m for us in 21/22; year 2 is 45% (£36m) and year three is 20% (£16m). Promotion is therefore worth a mimimum of £180m over the next three years.

Let’s use it wisely, eh?
I've seen that leicester wage bill for 2022 was around 180 million! Leeds 115 and Saints 120.....it really is frightening the gamble that is the prem league, the 'prize' money doesn't really go very far

I'm being really slow this morning but if we come back down we'd only be eligible for two years' parachute payments. Year one is 55% of the base payment to all PL clubs and was £44m for us in 21/22; year 2 is 45% (£36m) and year three is 20% (£16m). Promotion is therefore worth a mimimum of £180m over the next three years.
🙄

1685435045218.gif

Worra abaht Skye Edge for a new academy site,oreyt its not as ruff as Shirecliffe,but its not overlooked so the sniper's would be fooked.

The main priority, for me, is sorting the urgent infrastructure needs out. They seem to be the training ground and the scouting. We can't put that off because, as things stand, the only way we'll ever have money to do this is when we have the Premier League TV money.

I'd rather we lose most games than put the long term future of the club at risk. I agree on the the second point though. Maybe signings for the future, loans for now, sort our shit out.

If the budget is £20m then that's not going to go far for 3/5 permanent signings that will be good enough. I know many quote Anel as an example of value in Europe but at the same time there's many who come from abroad who don't adjust and then just take up a wage for their contract. I think it'll be more likely 1/2 permanent signings, maybe O'Brien will be one those, he certainly will be worth signing and won't cost the earth and he will be a great signing for the next few years.
If Utd have publicised the actual kitty for fees (not withstanding how deals will be structured and amortized), then they're unbelievably daft. I very much doubt that is indeed the case though.
Tbh I don't mind if Utd don't spend a penny on fees as long as the required standard of players come in. Out of contract players (who will demand not insignificant signing fees) and loans (including loan fees and higher salaries) would be fine if the players are good enough.

Agree about O'Brien - good player. But Forest will do us no favours, so don't be surprised if they quote us a silly figure! He'll be on good money there too, probably more than we're likely to offer him.

Does having Cat 1 mean other Cat 1 clubs can't take our youngsters or is it just that they'll be less likely to jump ship when the 'big boys' come calling because we'll be better?
It means the set levels of compensation are higher

So, say that one season in the top flight is worth £170-180 over 3 years.

We have already taken a loan against next year's parachute payment (so that's minus c£18 million)
Then you have promotion bonuses. Let/s say £10 million
Then you have the increased wages/new contracts for existing players. Let's say that's £70 million over those 3 years
Then there are the current wages and losses, which let's say is £20 million x 2 seasons back down in the Championship.

So, just with that lot we have £32-42 million left over the next 3 years. Without touching any of the infrastructure or buying players.

Our major assets (Ndiaye, Berge, Egan, RND, Jebbo, McBurnie) have a year left on their contracts. So they're not worth that much. Should they hold out for a Bosman, then worthless on the balance sheet.

We'll get more in sponsorship/corporate for a year but that balances off with what happens if we go straight back down.

I've seen that leicester wage bill for 2022 was around 180 million! Leeds 115 and Saints 120.....it really is frightening the gamble that is the prem league, the 'prize' money doesn't really go very far

Factor in that Leicester were playing European football in 20/21 and 21/22 - while it was only the Europa League (and a drop into the Conference League in the second season after not getting out of the group), it will add up to a fair chunk - just the base appearance money without doing anything else would easily cover our top earner's wages for a season

But which players will the 4-5 perms replace and improve,there's the rub,genuine question?

Back
Top Bottom