2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Blackburn Rovers - FA Cup Quarter Final - 19th March 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BLA
BLA
BLA
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
blackburnrovers.gif

FA Cup Quarter Final - Sunday 19th March 2023 - 12:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-blackburn-rovers.655/

Officials:

Referee: Tim Robinson
Assistant Referee: Timothy Wood
Assistant Referee: Nick Greenhalgh
VAR: Paul Tierney
AVAR: Richard West

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 22.32.21.png

Norwood on the pre-match artwork so wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting
I'm hoping not but I agree with you. We just seem sluggish with him in midfield. The lads slowing down. Nothing negative just comes with the age.

I would hope Doyle and McAtee start. They can’t play Saturday so may as well use them now.
Yeah it'd be odd not to start them even if they can't play 90 may as well run themselves into the ground for 60 mins with 8 days rest coming up

Yeah it'd be odd not to start them even if they can't play 90 may as well run themselves into the ground for 60 mins with 8 days rest coming up
No reason not to start Doyle and Macca. Would be utter madness to leave them out tonight. Also , if he plays Norwood and Fleck and they get injured or sent off our midfield for Saturday would be decimated.

I’ve forgot nearly all the results but surely someone got one against us in the Covid PL season?

We didn't really get hammered at home that season (probably because teams knew they didn't have to score more than 1-2 goals). Iheanacho and Bale scored hat-tricks against us but they were both away.

I’ve forgot nearly all the results but surely someone got one against us in the Covid PL season?

I don't think so.

As bad as we were that season we didn't suffer any heavy defeats at home.

Although Iheanacho and Gareth Bale did score hat-tricks against us away at Leicester and Tottenham.

As others have said we were weirdly too shit to need to score many goals against so we didn't get battered that often in that season (lack of fans meant no real incentive for teams to put their foot down) good football was shite that season!

Was Andreas Weimann the last visiting player to score a hat-trick at the Lane?

View attachment 158200
I love this sort of stat. Yes, Weimann is the last visiting player to score a hat-trick; before him it was Ryan Sessegnon in Fulham's win in 2017 and before that, if my cursory research is correct, it's Peter Wittingham for Cardiff way back in 2009. Incidentally, we lost all three games by a single goal (2-3, 4-5 and 3-4).

We don't concede a huge number of braces either. Three so far this season is high; none last season, two the season before, none in 19/20 or 18/19, two in 2017/18.

Opposition players to score multiple goals at Bramall Lane in last 15 seasons:
3 in 2022/23: Yates (Blackpool), Pukki (Norwich), Archer (Middlesbrough)
0 in 2021/22
2 in 2020/21: Rashford (Man U), Lacazette (Arsenal)
0 in 2019/20
1 in 2018/19: Weimann (hattrick, Bristol City)
3 in 2017/18: Sessegnon (hattrick, Fulham), Ojo (Fulham); Slimani (Leicester City, League Cup)
2 in 2016/17: Wright (Gillingham); Lowe (Crewe, League Cup, inc extra time)
2 in 2015/16: Moncur (Colchester), O'Brien (Millwall)
3 in 2014/15: Samuel (Coventry), Bennett (Doncaster); Gallagher (Preston, FA Cup)
1 in 2013/14: Hussey (Burton, League Cup)
2 in 2012/13: Howard (Hartlepool), Clarke (Coventry)
2 in 2011/12: Novak (Huddersfield), Rooney (Birmingham, FA Cup)
5 in 2010/11: Dagnall (Scunthorpe), Simpson (Hull), Sharp (Doncaster), Crofts (Norwich), Haynes (Barnsley)
1 in 2009/10: Wittingham (hattrick, Cardiff)
1 in 2008/09: Iwulemo (Wolves)

Most nervous/apprehensive I've been about a match in a long, long time.

1 - Its Bristol City, I don't like playing them at home, flashbacks to that awful Weimann hattrick
2 - I believe 3 points tonight virtually guarantees promotion
3 - 3 points allows us to go into the semi final with no worries on our minds, enjoy the occasion and free hit
4 - After tonight, our run of fixtures are not favourable for a team desperate for wins

I beg you United, for the love of god win tonight.

I love this sort of stat. Yes, Weimann is the last visiting player to score a hat-trick; before him it was Ryan Sessegnon in Fulham's win in 2017 and before that, if my cursory research is correct, it's Peter Wittingham for Cardiff way back in 2009. Incidentally, we lost all three games by a single goal (2-3, 4-5 and 3-4).

We don't concede a huge number of braces either. Three so far this season is high; none last season, two the season before, none in 19/20 or 18/19, two in 2017/18.

0 in 2021/22
0 in 2019/20
3 in 2017/18: Sessegnon (hattrick, Fulham), Ojo (Fulham); Slimani (Leicester City, League Cup)
3 in 2014/15: Samuel (Coventry), Bennett (Doncaster); Gallagher (Preston, FA Cup)
5 in 2010/11: Dagnall (Scunthorpe), Simpson (Hull), Sharp (Doncaster), Crofts (Norwich), Haynes (Barnsley)
Before Peter Whittingham, the last 2 hattrick scorers for visiting teams at the Lane were both in 1984-5: Gary Lund for Grimsby and Jimmy Quinn for Blackburn.

We lost 2-3 to Grimsby (though that was the day of Glenn Cockerill’s phantom goal) and 1-3 to Blackburn.

Osula was due to start for the U21’s at 1pm but has been pulled. Appearing on the bench tonight? Hope we don’t have any injuries to our forwards and Jebbo is ok after returning at the weekend.

If he plays Norwood and Fleck over McAtee and Doyle he needs his head examined.
While the league is the priority, Norwood is a guaranteed started on Saturday so could be a good idea to give him 70 minutes to get match fitness/sharpness. He was also our best player up until Jan/Feb time so I cant understand why so many are so negative about him playing.

Fleck on the other hand shouldn't be in either squad.

Blades 3-1

I recall when both Bristol clubs were at the bottom of one of the old leagues. Might have been League 2 in the 1980s....Well the quips about a pair of Bristol's wouldn't pass muster today!

This is the banana skin game, win this and we are all but up..

But……

Its a team who play fast on the counter, our Kryptonite, their two best players are back after missing games (natch).. they have a good recent record at the Lane won two of the last three and are managed by a dyed in the wool Pig who would love to fuck us up.

I always thought we would beat Cardiff even when we went behind but I am nervous for this one, it’s the Biggest Game since we played Ipswich in the last promotion season…

…..yet all I see and hear is people talking about Saturday.. believe me tonight is a much much much more important game than Saturday.

Let’s treat this with derby day atmosphere and help the lads bring the three points.

0 in 2021/22
0 in 2019/20
Good stat. It'd be interesting to know whether this is a "Fortress Bramall Lane" thing or whether it's fairly typical, especially as in almost all of those seasons we were a top-half-of-the-table team (and so likely to concede fewer goals overall)

Anel should need a very good excuse not to play tonight

But if for about the 20th time this season he's missing again, get Clark in for him and shove Robinson to LWB

I just don't want to see Bogle or Lowe on the pitch
So who plays RCB ?

Back
Top Bottom