Yo yo club?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The fact that Leicester will probably get relegated this season says it all. They were genuinely contending to be a top four club, having won the league and fa cup, but the gap is just too big. Over-reach and you're doomed. But do we really want to become a Palace? They are safe as houses every season but so dull and boring. If we could retain the players we have I'd far sooner stay in the championship, way more entertaining. I realize promotion is an economic necessity for us this season but if we do get promoted, it doesn't excite me. The prospect of hanging on for a few 1-0 wins like last time isn't great. So on that basis, go up, get relegated but secure the financial future for the club.
Are you saying look at Leicester like it's a bad thing? I can't imagine United winning the league and FA Cup in my lifetime. If we did, it would be dreamland! To experience those moments with my club.

I'd accept yo yo. Promotion and relegation battles are exciting. Ok , no fun in relegation, but also not much fun in being 15th in the Prem every year.
Do a few yo yo cycles, steadily building a squad, facilities and a bit of financial security, then maybe go for a more sustained higher level.
For now , let's just get up.

At this stage, we just need to get up, stabilise the finances, and use whatever resources remain to get younger at key positions (CM/CB being the two main ones for me). While I don't think it's completely out of the equation that we would survive assuming we go up (really just needs some of the better teams currently in the relegation dogfight to fuck it up and leave at least two truly bad teams up there, which coupled with the playoff winners leaves a realistic path to 17th), we just need to leave ourselves in a better position to start 24/25 than we were in last August

I don't want to be a yo-yo club, of course, I want us to settle in the Prem. But, we have never really managed to even get the level of yo-yo club in my 40+ years watching the Blades. Without a sugar daddy, or genius coach, its probably the par outcome for us, so I would take it for a few years, providing there is a plan as to how we can progress and we actually stick to it. The worst thing about clubs yo-yo'ing is that club boards and fans can become even more impatient than usual with coaches and players, always looking for whatever fixes to stay above or get above the respected lines in each division, until eventually they bottom out. In many ways you can say Watford, Norwich, WBA have done quite well over the last 10-15 years, but their fans are still full of venom for their status and debts are piling up.

The fact that Leicester will probably get relegated this season says it all. They were genuinely contending to be a top four club, having won the league and fa cup, but the gap is just too big. Over-reach and you're doomed. But do we really want to become a Palace? They are safe as houses every season but so dull and boring. If we could retain the players we have I'd far sooner stay in the championship, way more entertaining. I realize promotion is an economic necessity for us this season but if we do get promoted, it doesn't excite me. The prospect of hanging on for a few 1-0 wins like last time isn't great. So on that basis, go up, get relegated but secure the financial future for the club.

Spot on with your comments about promotion not exciting you. For the Wilder promotion, we were on a roll and didn’t know what to expect, the Kop was mental every home game.

This time we know better.

VAR (but it has improved).

Over paid prima donna arseholes who dive to the floor whenever a player gets within a yard (happens more now in the Championship).

Openly corrupt officials (I haven’t forgotten you Chris Kavanagh, you cheating cunt).

But we have to accept, We need the Prem more than the Prem needs us and this time we won’t have to put up with vomit inducing Gary Lineker creaming his pants every week on MOTD because Burnley will be the media darlings.

Apart from the soulless bowl of a shithole they play in, I would love to do a Leicester over the next 10 years.

Roll on the inevitable last day bottlejob! 👍🍼
really thats all you remember the losses
try being like them owls , any loss is instantly expunged from memory

last 7 seasons 6 competing at the top 1 relegation but lets all focus on the one bad thing

un fucking believeable
first year back last time we finished 9th ,,, but hey ho lets just ignore that

But we have to accept, We need the Prem more than the Prem needs us and this time we won’t have to put up with vomit inducing Gary Lineker creaming his pants every week on MOTD because Burnley will be the media darlings.

You only have to put up with that if you voluntarily choose to watch it :)

For every West Brom, Norwich and Watford, there's a Brentford, Brighton and Palace who have made it stick and established themselves.
Trying to get as high up the leagues as you can is the name of the game - why else are you celebrating victories?
Brentford aren't 'established' at all. Brighton are in their 6th PL season,

How are Palace dull and boring. They’ve looked pretty good in recent matches and their fans certainly create an atmosphere even if their chants are crap.

I am still torn with the win 13 games and stay up prospect or win 27 in the championship. I have more fun on the championship that’s for sure taking into account getting to away days etc. I also hate all the over analysis from the Prem…….but saying all that I’ve always wanted to have a chance to see the blades in Europe and most established teams in prem have a better chance at that than your run of the mill championship teams.

Maybe I just need to follow a lower league team to get that week in week out when we are in Prem. The close to closure, dog shit on pitch “proper football” always had a place in my heart. The steels are a good watch, Hallam and Hillsborough over Christmas for panto season

we go up this time with far more experienced players and several better than we had before we secure any more players
I think we can do somewhere between bournemouth and Fulham have adapting to the prem
some long term prem members could be going down showing the gaps closing

It would only be good being a yo-yo club if we actually won titles and not settle for 2nd best.

Norwich have managed to rack up a few Championship titles going up and down.

I'd accept yo yo. Promotion and relegation battles are exciting. Ok , no fun in relegation, but also not much fun in being 15th in the Prem every year.
Do a few yo yo cycles, steadily building a squad, facilities and a bit of financial security, then maybe go for a more sustained higher level.
For now , let's just get up.
Surely the way forward is to produce good young players either to sell on or to strengthen the squad.
Without top quality training facilities we are unlikely to do that.
I would be happy to yo-yo for a few years if each time the whole infrastructure of the club improved and the quality of the squad with it.

I think there are 22 teams in this division alone that would gladly swap places with us now and be a yo yo club.
Even the Man City of the 3rd division sorry 1st Division would snap your arm off to be in our position.

Am I the only one not keen on the prospect of going up and down like a prostitute's knickers like Burnley, Norwich and so on?

Or maybe I'm just not used to having bouncebackability being a Blade!

Roll on the inevitable last day bottlejob! 👍🍼

I don't mind, provided there's a strategy to it and we use the PL money to build the solid foundations (younger squad on longer contracts, scouting infrastructure, improved training facilities and stadium tarted up etc..) to give ourselves a proper chance.

There has to be a legacy to it. Not the mess we've got ourselves into this time around.

See Brentford, Brighton etc. for an example of what can be done.

Last edited:
We been a yo yo club since 1889, from Division 1 (prem) right down to the 4th Div. The problem we've always had is attracting money men, somehow it's never happened!! They seem to think Barnsleys more attractive than us. Till the day it happens and I'm not holding my breath nothings going to change, I've been going since the mid sixties it's been a bumpy ride but would love to see us get established in the prem before I clock out for good.

Whois the club you most admire over the last ten years. It used to be the Leicester City model, then Burnley on a budget with a dour manager. The it’s Brentford with the ‘Money Ball advanced’ model.

Blades are well known for doing well within a very small budget. The owner, and manager are the key ingredients. Norwich failed with the ex Villa knob. Leicester owner is getting cold feet with Rogers moving on.

What is the answer. A wealthy owner, and a manager with a long term plan, and no budget constraints. How many players have we lost due to wagged demands?
The manager needs to find players with the character of JLT, and the skills of Ndiaye.

Brentford probably come closest to that model, but how long will that success last? We don’t know.
We have nlost promising youngsters because our academy is not cat 1. We don’t have the owners nous that Brentford have, so we need to do things differently.

Pay all the outstanding bills. Spend half the PL income on wages, and the other half on infrastructure so we are never financially embarrassed again.

If that means keeping talent and attitude at our club, I’m all for it.

We been a yo yo club since 1889, from Division 1 (prem) right down to the 4th Div. The problem we've always had is attracting money men, somehow it's never happened!! They seem to think Barnsleys more attractive than us. Till the day it happens and I'm not holding my breath nothings going to change, I've been going since the mid sixties it's been a bumpy ride but would love to see us get established in the prem before I clock out for good.
We haven't. We spent the first half of our history in the top division with only minor exceptions.

It's only since I was born in 1976 that thing seem to have gone to shit.

Fucking Jonah!

I'd rather be a Prem yo yo team than a bottom Championship one any day.

And look at the celebration parties we' could have every couple of seasons.

I'll drink to that ....... 👍👍👍;)😍

Needs must at the minute, and besides, I really like the Championship and the prospect of being one of the usual suspects for promotion.

Eventually we want to be firmly wedged at the top table, but for the timebeing I will take being a yo-yo club, if it is an option.

Back
Top Bottom