What a difference a month makes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Gyp the blade

Reaction score
I’m not gonna lie to you all but this time last month I thought our premier league dream was all over losing to Blackburn, Luton in the league was enough for me to say we’ve fucked it up again. Even more painful was watching the pork demolish everything in there way to go top of the. Dog n duck league with games in hand. But wait Roll on one month United 8pts clear again with a game in hand with 6 left to play. WTF has happened us Blades have never had this feeling that were not gonna fuck it up it doesn’t happen we always fuck it up but what makes this even more special is watching the porks bubble explode week by week what a difference a month makes UTPLB

it doesn’t happen we always fuck it up
Really ...last 7 seasons
Won title 100 points
Consolidated 10th in championship
Runners up in championship
9th in prem
Bad year covid killed football no crowds
Got in championship play offs
Now Most likely to go up auto

So that's 6 positive seasons one shit one
Why are people so negative
It's been amazing after 5 years of hurt in league one

We did our best to fubar losing to Boro Luton Blackburn & Millwall in a horrible run but Furious got a grip of things and put us back on track
In fairness everyone's giving full credit to McAtee and Doyle for making the difference but I don't think results turning since Baldock came back in is a huge coincidence

Really ...last 7 seasons
Won title 100 points
9th in prem

I’m not negative at all far from it but I see your point mate I’ve been watching United religious home and away for 30 years plus. Last day relegations (when it was 99% certain we couldn’t be relegated) multiple playoff final defeats, seeing Ched Evens go Jail and watching Wendy’s beat us to promotion when it was almost impossible to do so. So hopefully the next 5 are as good as the last 5 UTB

Teams who are 11 points clear (14 I think at one stage) with 3/4 of a season gone are strong favourites for a reason, because they can afford a bad spell, even a really bad spell, where as teams chasing them can't afford many slip ups at all.

Nothing is over yet of course, but we have re gained our composure whilst Boro seem to have lost theirs. Luton now perhaps have the strongest sniff, and even that is so faint it isn't realistic.

11 points from here to be certain, but in any reasonable universe 3 more wins does it.

Really ...last 7 seasons
Won title 100 points
9th in prem

There is a difference in psychology between 2019 & now.
In 2019 we were nearing the top of an incredible rise over 3 seasons + we hadn't been in the Prem for 12 years so we were on the cusp of a "big adventure".
Now , we have experienced the painful relegation , had terrible luck with JoC , Brewster & other injuries , learned that our Prince doesn't want us any more , seem to be in financial & ownership limbo ...
So despite the PL being financially crucial to our progress , we've seen how bloody difficult it is to stay there , how eyewatering sums can be wasted on players ... It's not the "big adventure" it was in 2019.
If we do go up , we have to come to terms with what reality is for a yo-yo club - and the ownership situation is not helping.
The Prince accepted Dozy's offer in December - the speed things are going , i wonder whether we'll be in the Prem before the takeover ?
If we are to have a serious crack at staying up , we need the buyer to invest more than just the Prem income in the squad.
I do think that once we are out of the transfer embargo and have settled other debts , some clarity over our finances would provide a more positive vibe around the club.

Really ...last 7 seasons
Won title 100 points
9th in prem

After the Ched debacle I’d given up hope of ever getting out of League 1.
And after those first few games of Wilder’s reign I’d mentally prepared myself for another stint in the 4th Division.

The good thing from our perspective is we can more or less forget about looking out for the results of Luton and Boro now, other then as an afterthought.

They are almost irrelevant. It’s only us completely losing the plot that would make them relevant. That pressure, thanks to the last two game weeks has dissipated.

The finish line is in sight. Another 10 points and they won’t catch us anyhow and we have 7 game to do it in. We probably won’t even need all 10. They need to spend at least half their games even getting to where we are now and by that time, we’ll be long gone.

So it’s not how many are we ahead of Luton or Boro anymore. The challenge is simply how many more points to go until we have won 3 more matches and gotten a draw. Then it’s job done!

Totally agree - playing a younger midfield was a no-brainer which everyone could see , apart from PH.
Give Hecky some credit we sit a clear second in the table , semi final of FA cup and promotion is in our hands.He’s got all the back room shit going on, Embargo takeover bollocks and still we get the negativity around him.
If he’d played the Citeh pair together from day 1 I doubt we would be where we are.
Credit to the bloke he’s developed these 2 players and in particular Macca is unrecognisable, class act both of them.
Well done HECKY

I’m not gonna lie to you all but this time last month I thought our premier league dream was all over losing to Blackburn, Luton in the league was enough for me to say we’ve fucked it up again. Even more painful was watching the pork demolish everything in there way to go top of the. Dog n duck league with games in hand. But wait Roll on one month United 8pts clear again with a game in hand with 6 left to play. WTF has happened us Blades have never had this feeling that were not gonna fuck it up it doesn’t happen we always fuck it up but what makes this even more special is watching the porks bubble explode week by week what a difference a month makes UTPLB
We don't always fuck it up though
We prefer to ignore the times things have gone our way and dwell on the times they haven't

Don't know why we are like this the fuckwits up tge Road are the exact opposite and south Barnsley is just up the road

There is a difference in psychology between 2019 & now.
In 2019 we were nearing the top of an incredible rise over 3 seasons + we hadn't been in the Prem for 12 years so we were on the cusp of a "big adventure".
Now , we have experienced the painful relegation , had terrible luck with JoC , Brewster & other injuries , learned that our Prince doesn't want us any more , seem to be in financial & ownership limbo ...
So despite the PL being financially crucial to our progress , we've seen how bloody difficult it is to stay there , how eyewatering sums can be wasted on players ... It's not the "big adventure" it was in 2019.
If we do go up , we have to come to terms with what reality is for a yo-yo club - and the ownership situation is not helping.
The Prince accepted Dozy's offer in December - the speed things are going , i wonder whether we'll be in the Prem before the takeover ?
If we are to have a serious crack at staying up , we need the buyer to invest more than just the Prem income in the squad.
I do think that once we are out of the transfer embargo and have settled other debts , some clarity over our finances would provide a more positive vibe around the club.
perhaps going up and winning the fa cup might get 5 or 6 more believing , for a few weeks

until the doom mongers get a grip in early August when our relegation year resurfaces as being the year to base it on not the year before which was when our crowds lifted us like in the recent blackburn quarter final. A full bramall lane took care of spurs but that will get by passed as a one off

Last edited:
Really ...last 7 seasons
Won title 100 points
9th in prem

100% this, was only talking about this yesterday ‘it’s the Blades way’, ‘always happens to us’ , the blades way is one of success (except the relegation of course!) in the last 6/7 seasons, the negativity is from selective memories, the human brain focuses on negatives …the mind shift needs to happen, amazing what happens when positive thoughts creep into your head

As a 'cup half full' type of bloke I was always reasonably confident. As up and down as I get watching the blades, in the cold light of day I tend to ignore emotions and look at stats and averages. Since boro beat us it has been like flipping a coin every match ..... they have generally called heads and got it right. It only needed to fall our way once for the tide to turn. That happened last week at Norwich - whoooops, boro called it wrong and we called it right! That was the turning point.

It's now just a case of 'when' we are mathematically there! :p

I agree, i always feel we will fuck it up.....i am a pessimist at heart when it comes to United and I still think it will go tits up!!😅

Really ...last 7 seasons
Won title 100 points
9th in prem

Because i've been supporting them for 55 years and not just the last 6!

Been a Blade 60years, what a privilege lots of downs but also some great times.
1-Wilder Era
2-Bassett Era
3-Warnock Era.

Best Players(Favourite)
1-The Legendary Tony Currie
2-The Wizardry of Alex Sabella
3-The Greek Vas Baborkis

100% this, was only talking about this yesterday ‘it’s the Blades way’, ‘always happens to us’ , the blades way is one of success (except the relegation of course!) in the last 6/7 seasons, the negativity is from selective memories, the human brain focuses on negatives …the mind shift needs to happen, amazing what happens when positive thoughts creep into your head
Well said that man.
Do you venture into The Vic at all??

Snap. I didn't believe Hecky had it in him to make the necessary changes. What do I know!?

and the other 48 years were all crap currie and woodward were over rated bassett never happened
its all been shit

dont foret up to 1975 we never finished below 11th in the 2nd tier in our history

was bad 78 to 88 the rest weve been in the top 2 tiers except 2012 t0 17
11 years in div 3 1 in 4 out of your 55 so 43 positives 80 per cent good and you dwell on the 20 per cent bad

imagine being a pig fan and 23 years out of the prem

Last edited:
Really ...last 7 seasons
Won title 100 points
9th in prem

Good point on the positivity of our recent history, however we need to have learned a lot more from the covid season than just blaming lack of crowds.

If we go into the PL without the momentum and air of invincibility that Wilder had built up we need to compete properly, make sensible signings and pay actual PL wages. Not doing so is the reason we went down, not the lack of crowds (no one had crowds).

Never a doubt we were going up , being saying it since the start of last season , said playoffs last season ,
up this season , we needed to get the hangover of relegation out of our systems last year ,
and push on this season , our squad was / is one of the best in the league
absolutly pissing myself laughing at Dum fucking Pigs

I've been miserable a few times when we've played beneath ourselves, the Luton game being the one where I lost my rag. I haven't actually thought we were going to blow it. I've been dangerously confident all season.

There's still a way to go I guess...

and the other 48 years were all crap currie and woodward were over rated bassett never happened
its all been shit

dont foret up to 1975 we never finished below 11th in the 2nd tier in our history

was bad 78 to 88 the rest weve been in the top 2 tiers except 2012 t0 17
11 years in div 3 1 in 4 out of your 55 so 43 positives 80 per cent good and you dwell on the 20 per cent bad

imagine being a pig fan and 23 years out of the prem
Nobody under 25 can remember the pigs being in the top league and those pushing 30 struggle living off old Youtube clips and what grandad told em. Average gates over 30,000 any pig would need to be my age to remember that, 1967 was it?

Back
Top Bottom