For what it's worth... Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I thought he was superb last night and one of his best games for us. Maybe he flourishes in a midfield duo so that he's got more time and space on the ball and not being restricted in a compact midfield trio.

Either way, I am a critic of Berge and know many others are - credit where credit's due, he was very very good last night and i think others in the same boat of me should eat a slice of humble pie when he does have a good performance.

Albeit, he still needs to put in more performances like that to justify the £20m tag. Keep it up Sander.
I'm a big critic too, but thought he was actually very good (in a dreadful backdrop) last Saturday.

The main problem was that Egan was initially out of position, Robinson then clearly points at Egan to follow the striker (Gelhardt?) which he does, but then Robinson himself also follows the same player leaving the massive hole for Michut to run in to. Lowe was marking Roberts and did nothing wrong IMO.
Yes can't expect Lowe to come in, leaving guy free wide . It's down to those around Michut.
Robinson had got pulled in for whatever reason. But sander just kept gliding. At least Robinson realised, turned and put life and limb to get to Michut, but too late.
I'm sure sander has ability , and last night he showed more, but it's his desire and passion to get stuck in, take risks, fight, that's missing for me.

Continually passed the ball between our third and the next two thirds of the pitch accurately. Broke the play up well.

Ndiaye and Mcattee were actually very wasteful bar the latters goal, but the reality doesn't fit the agenda. Our whole team -(particularly the aforementioned two - benefit a lot from Jebbo's runs in behind. They have far more room to.operate it in between the oppositions defense and midfield and will destroy teams if continually given the room they had last night.Our press was also much better, especially first half. All predicted by yours truly. Our left was the problem area defensively all night btw 😉

I thought he was fine in the first half, but let's be honest that 2nd half the midfield barely got a sniff of the ball. There was one occasion 2nd half he ran into the box and cut the ball back, but no one made a run to the near post which was disappointing. Generally I think our movement in the box is terrible.

For some reason and it's been plainly obvious as far as I am concerned, is that half way through the second half, in many games we appear to run out of steam. McAtee, Doyle, Berge and one or two more look like they are blowing out of their arses.

Now I know this should be the same for both sides, but I take notice more of our players than I do the opposition. Last night even Ndiaye almost went into a jog rather than a sprint when chasing down their players late on. McAtee had his usual cramp attack. Berge slowed down to a jog. I'm not blaming them, just how I see it

My missus was taking the piss out of me last night after one of my outbursts. She was going "Do you want fucking fries with that fucking burger?" "Yes, I fucking do. Can I have fucking cheese on the fucking burger as fucking well please?" 😆

Always plays better in that deeper role.

Been saying it for ages !!

https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/berge-key.91758/#post-4021177 #29.

Our best midfield must now be Sander Doyle and McA. Sander and Tommy rotating the deep lying Coutts role when the other drives on.

I’m not writing Norwood and Fleck off just yet but right now, they must fight their way back in.

The fact that there was some actual movement at the top of the pitch last night as opposed to the static bloke with the beard helped matters no end !!

UTB

Before we signed him he had always been a receive from the centre half and distribute midfielder exactly what he did last night especially first half, most attacking moves came through him, no frills, just available for the ball a lot and high passing completion. Fell asleep for the goal but there's no way a midfielders man should have that big of a gap anyway

Just in case you had your eyes shut at this point. Defend the box basics overlooked to target Scapegoat Berge.

View attachment 155965
The still image doesn't show Berge run from to other side of Michuj, at the time I questioned why he'd not either shouted JLT back in or just picked him up himself.

It did show a lack of awareness by Berge.

Just in case you had your eyes shut at this point. Defend the box basics overlooked to target Scapegoat Berge.

View attachment 155965
I wasn't scapegoating him, he had a better match than he has had in a while and did some good stuff.
Lowe is clear of any blame, that's for sure. Robbo should have dropped to where you've pointed, but likewise that's plainly visible to Sander. It should have fired his engines to plough in and deal with it.
Plus, once robbo realised he got back and put in a challenge on the shot, Sander was till in smooth glide watching on.

I'm not a Sander hater. But he needs to get a bit fire in his belly.

1678975021373.png

View attachment 155965
Egan plays a critical role here. Crosses over behind Robbo and vacates the space in the LCB position. At the very least he needs to instruct Robbo to swap positions at the same time so as not to create such a huge gap !

Egan at fault for me.

UTB

Egan plays a critical role here. Crosses over behind Robbo and vacates the space in the LCB position. At the very least he needs to instruct Robbo to swap positions at the same time so as not to create such a huge gap !

Egan at fault for me.

UTB
Heh ?
It’s no one’s but Berges fault … Robbo isn’t the scapegoat anymore remember and Egan had his turn a few weeks ago around the Millwall game

Harsh on Lowe. He should tuck in but Berge isn't marking the no.10 so he can't. If he goes across he leaves a man totally unmarked in acres of room.

This is the point, there’s three players at fault in this order.

1) JLT - Defender - in no man’s land leaving a massive gap.

2) Lowe - Wing Back - Seeing his fellow defender out of position yet remaining in place defending a non-threatening player out wide. He’s even looking at the gap in the screenshot.

3) Berge - No communication to or from back three obviously that a player has broken through to be tracked, no action to track.

I think he's ben better the last couple of games. He still dozes off and doesn't track/follow players but he's shown more determination of late. Actually getting back and making challenges. Not great but a definite improvement.

This is the point, there’s three players at fault in this order.

1) JLT - Defender - in no man’s land leaving a massive gap.

2) Lowe - Wing Back - Seeing his fellow defender out of position yet remaining in place defending a non-threatening player out wide. He’s even looking at the gap in the screenshot.

3) Berge - No communication to or from back three obviously that a player has broken through to be tracked, no action to track.
I actually blamed Egan for this. He wanders off before that shot is taken leaving a man unmarked. JLT moves over to cover and the French lad wanders into the gap. The rest is far from clever but it's the first problem in a chain.

Egan starts it all off going on walk about with the other attacker Egan is the one who plays them onside he could have just held his line then JLT does not have to move to the centre and leave a gap. Once JLT moves to where Egan should be Lowe has to move across and fill the gap which is the immediate goal threat, Roberts out on the wing is not the threat at this stage. Sunderland had two attackers in front of goal we have more than enough defenders to cope with that no need at all for Berge to run back into the penalty area.

Look where Egan is, the defensive line is all over the shop due to him they have to hold that line outside the area or they go back as a unit you can't have one stepping out of line or you play attackers onside and teams pass through you. Egan needs to open his gob and organise that defence.

He has flashes of being great, then seems to disappear for a bit, in every game really.

More of the former last night, so that's got to be a positive.
I have flashes of being an absolute stud in the bedroom, but 8 seconds later it ends in fucking disaster

Egan at fault for me.

UTB
Egan also two yards further back than all other defenders and is the only person playing Michut onside

I thought he was superb last night and one of his best games for us. Maybe he flourishes in a midfield duo so that he's got more time and space on the ball and not being restricted in a compact midfield trio.

Either way, I am a critic of Berge and know many others are - credit where credit's due, he was very very good last night and i think others in the same boat of me should eat a slice of humble pie when he does have a good performance.

Albeit, he still needs to put in more performances like that to justify the £20m tag. Keep it up Sander.
In all fairness,he didn't decide the transfer fee,more like whoever was willing to pay the asking price.

I have flashes of being an absolute stud in the bedroom, but 8 seconds later it ends in fucking disaster

8 Seconds? Bloody show off.

View attachment 155965
Lowe is marking the wide man, Michut is Sunderlands defensive midfielder, he is Berges man, how obvious does it have to be.
He doesnt have his eyes closed just his mind.

My missus was taking the piss out of me last night after one of my outbursts. She was going "Do you want fucking fries with that fucking burger?" "Yes, I fucking do. Can I have fucking cheese on the fucking burger as fucking well please?" 😆
What a funny story !

Started well. Bang average rest of the first half. Anonymous second when we were desperate to someone to win and hold onto the ball.

Can’t tackle. Doesn’t look interested. Won’t put a foot in. Better than his recent dross but still disappointing.

Not for nothing, but when a player improves after legitimate criticism there’s no humble pie required. Particularly when they’ve only put one performance in.

We have not looked comfortable at the back all season. Robinson Anel and Egan don't seem to co-ordinate. Egan should take more control and organise people. One thing that has been noticeable of late is Egan following opposition players into their half of the field and then trying to tackle through the back of them.

Lowe and also Bogle are poor at defending. Not being in the right position or just lunging in and make it easy for someone to slip past.

Defending is a midfielders and forwards job too when our of possession. Once we lost the ball every player should have assess where they were and where they were needed. It's not scapegoating to suggest that Berge should have been alive to the danger. There were many at fault including Berge.

I think he's ben better the last couple of games. He still dozes off and doesn't track/follow players but he's shown more determination of late. Actually getting back and making challenges. Not great but a definite improvement.
He has been tracking back all season. His stats second highest distance every game. Unless you think as the ball goes back he goes and runs up the steps at the other end of the pitch.

He was gash. Doesn’t press, tackle, pass very well. He runs away from play.

Every game the same.

Back
Top Bottom