Outgoing? SANDER BERGE ON WAY OUT ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

His value will only fall as he enters final year of contract

As much as I like him he doesn’t influence whole games like Ndaiye can, he has a strong 20 mins where no one can get near him, but not 90

We obvs need money, so £20m, pay off the embargo and get in a replacement on loan, then sort it out proper in the summer with new owners hopefully

There must be a few prem midfielders that we can consider, always liked Albrighton but he seems to be getting time, longstaff Richie and Fraser at toon aren’t getting on the pitch much, must be others
Listen to Hecky’s last interview and you will understand why we are not an attractive proposition at the moment. Starting with embargo, go to possible sales not renewing contracts of consistent performers etc etc.

Selling Berge is bad news for Norwood.

Sander’s presence on the pitch and his ball-carrying ability sucks players away and gives Norwood the space he needs.

If Norwood is pressed and squeezed, Berge has space to carry it.

If Berge isn’t around, it’s easier to set up against us I think. And more straightforward to go to the “mark Norwood out the game” method.

Just my thoughts

if we have to sell a player to keep us afloat would much sooner it was berge and not illiman hes done nothing in the last 4 games

No link between the two.

Agree...thats was I thought when I heard Adrian Durham say it.

Just shows that the mass media and general public hear the word "embargo"
and automatically think we have serious money problems and must have overspent, which is effectively cheating, holding on to players you can't afford.

Still think Sander has more to offer this team that we’ve not seen yet but similarly we’ve seen three years of footy from him. Not like we’ve not had a good go with him when he’s been fit. If we could get our money back now then honestly it’s a good deal and we should sell. He’ll leave one day anyway.

On a purely financial level, it’s good business. The reported £20m guaranteed with add ons would get back our original outlay and return a profit is he’s a success. Considering his contract situation, injuries and inconsistent form that is a result.

However, the fact that we are significantly weakening our squad when we’re in such a strong position is extremely disappointing to say the least. I can’t think of too many clubs who’ve sold key players when they’re in our position. Midfield was already an area we needed to strengthen not weaken and unless they have a late replacement in mind there will be pressure on Mcatee and Doyle stay fit and in form.

Like most I'll have mixed feelings if and when he goes.

The idea of this great marauding 6'5" Viking trampling the little people of the Championship was something many of us were happy to entertain, buying into the whole 'cheat code' notion. But it was such a great romanticised idea and I'm not sure we got to see it that much.

I'm not for disruption mid-season and when we were doing well, he certainly could play his part.

But, we've found out that we do have a cheat code, however, it's a little lad born in France with stardust in his boots.

For his size, I'm not sure he's every used his physicality to impose himself anywhere near the likes of Yaya Toure have done and once you start looking forwards, towards promotion, then you realise you'll probably need players that are as good, if not better when you don't have the ball, than when you do. The concession against Stoke all started because he wasn't diligent enough defensively.

So he has been a bit of an enigma. A Rolls Royce in possession in how tidy he can be and he can glide with the ball, but he doesn't have the range or ownership as a Norwood in the middle, he doesn't have the spellbinding dribbling of Ndiaye either.

It's like when someone gets you that Louis Vuitton man bag for Christmas. It looks great and you wouldn't say no, but you'd be happier with something more durable and less flashy and the money for something else!

I'm not going to suggest Coulibaly is his replacement. But someone how can run all day in the middle wouldn't hurt. He'll probably find at the higher level he's less chance to go on marauding runs on the right and he'll just as likely be pushed deeper which, to be honest isn't where we have seen the best of him. I'd wish him well if he does go of course, but the persistent injuries and nagging issue of his contract coming up to one year does make you have the concern is he going to run down his deal? With some of the poor returns on Chris's other buys, we can ill afford to write off the entirety of this one.

He's played his part but if it is adieu, we must move forward and I'm intrigued to see a team that can accommodate Norwood, Doyle, McAtee and Ndiaye all at once without having to relegate one of them to the bench to accommodate Sander regardless of what form he is in.

Also, this is one of the downsides of being self-sustaining. You do need to say farewell on occasion. This could be one of them. So farewell sweet Prince. It was fun while it lasted!

Last edited:
Get Lewis O Brien on loan with a view to permanent if we go up and It would be a good bit of business.
I'd be delighted with that, he'll probably go to WBA though and follow pattern of our rivals strengthening.

Listen to Hecky’s last interview and you will understand why we are not an attractive proposition at the moment. Starting with embargo, go to possible sales not renewing contracts of consistent performers etc etc.
Non of which would bother a 6month loan player - not withstanding the embargo goes away

However, half empty half full, and when/if the takeover happens, it can be a selling point, look at Trippier, people questioned his motives/ambition when he was first through the door at Newcastle, no one is now…..

If the rumours about Newcastle forcing the Prince to sell are anything to go by, they owe us a favour and buying Berge for a “good” price may be a way of paying compensation
They paid us compensation years ago.
(Sorry, saw 'compensation, automatically thought of West Ham and completely ignored the bit about Newcastle!)

Last edited:
I’m fine with selling Berge for £20+ million. It’s a decent return for a player who has, if I’m being hugely critical, only really played well in patches and is probably one we can manage without.

I’d expect at a minimum though that this would mean we’ve no need to sell Ndiaye and that we can get out of this embargo. If that doesn’t happen, I’d be worried.

Make your up minds ya fickle fannies first he's shit and not worth 5 million and now the takeovers fallen through and he's been forced out the door

Plus McCabe has sold those two plots at BL to Chansiri. Triple Whammy……

I do wonder what happens if Newcastle come calling for Berge or Ndiaye given who the owners are.

Looks like Fulham are calling and maybe tjst flushes other buyers out. I'm not happy thst we are weakening our team but none of us know how serious the situation is that has led to the embargo.

Berge - flu?? Happens a lot at SUFC at this time of year

Back
Top Bottom