Plan A, B & C?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwissBlade

Reaction score
Plan A
Looking at the attacking options at our disposal, we have a decent Plan A (at League 1 level), we're able to take on most teams and break them down with decent football, passing and movement, but as an attacking unit, we don't have that much pace.

As part of Plan A I'd say that these are our attacking options and their strengths

Willo
Strengths - great on the ball, gets forward good feet
Weakness - Lacks real pace, discipline, fitness

Quinn
Strength - Tenacious, can switch wings/play inside if needed, Free kicks/ set pieces, tracking back, tackling
Weakness - Discipline, Set pieces, goal tally

Flynn
Strength - Pace, crossing ability, taking on fullbacks, can play either wing
Weakness - Fitness, strength, experience, consistency

Macca
Strength - passing range
Weakness - Defensive duties, Pace, goal tally

Ched
Strength - Pace, movement, control, striking, link up with Cresswell
Weakness - back to goal, ariel ability, can't play as a lone striker

Cresswell
Strength - Tenacious, fearless, strength, good in the air, decent as a lone striker
Weakness - Fitness, pace, mobility

Porter
Strength - Scores goals
Weakness - Offside, mobility, Everything else

BT
Strength - Great in the air, cracking striker, set pieces
Weakness - pace, fitness, discipline, mobility

Lowton
Strength - getting forward, great in the air
Weakness - needs to also look after defensive duty, so can't be attacking all the time

Plan B
The problem has been a real lack of pace and versatility and mobility when we attack against the better teams.

Adding Clarke/ Phillips gave a Plan B, we've see with Flynn that he can make a big impact with his pace, if he can get fitter then he can be a major asset.

Up front we have been too static, BT and Porter aren't mobile enough to make a huge impact other than to bring on fresh legs to do the same job as Cresswell and to a lesser extent, Ched.

Hoskins, in my mind, gives us a plan B, a tactical change, adding pace and mobility, it gives us a lot of options for additional movement up front. bringing on Hoskins at Huddersfield/ the Sty will give the defenders more problems because I imagine that Wilson's thinking is that him and Ched can create an attacking line which can hurry defenders into mistakes.

I'm starting to see a similarity to 2005/06 season - Ships and Webber/ Kabba with Keef, Full size Quinny, Ifill, Tonge, Bad Buy and a number of bit part players.

Plan C
The difference is, that we don't seem physically to have the muscle to battle with the likes of Wendy, so do we still need a 'Plan C? Or can we combat these heathens with our Plan A and B so that we don't have to worry about Plan C?

Plan A
Looking at the attacking options at our disposal, we have a decent Plan A (at League 1 level), we're able to take on most teams and break them down with decent football, passing and movement, but as an attacking unit, we don't have that much pace.

As part of Plan A I'd say that these are our attacking options and their strengths

Willo
Strengths - great on the ball, gets forward good feet
Weakness - Lacks real pace, discipline, fitness

Quinn
Strength - Tenacious, can switch wings/play inside if needed, Free kicks/ set pieces, tracking back, tackling
Weakness - Discipline, Set pieces, goal tally

Flynn
Strength - Pace, crossing ability, taking on fullbacks, can play either wing
Weakness - Fitness, strength, experience, consistency

Macca
Strength - passing range
Weakness - Defensive duties, Pace, goal tally

Ched
Strength - Pace, movement, control, striking, link up with Cresswell
Weakness - back to goal, ariel ability, can't play as a lone striker

Cresswell
Strength - Tenacious, fearless, strength, good in the air, decent as a lone striker
Weakness - Fitness, pace, mobility

Porter
Strength - Scores goals
Weakness - Offside, mobility, Everything else

BT
Strength - Great in the air, cracking striker, set pieces
Weakness - pace, fitness, discipline, mobility

Lowton
Strength - getting forward, great in the air
Weakness - needs to also look after defensive duty, so can't be attacking all the time

Plan B
The problem has been a real lack of pace and versatility and mobility when we attack against the better teams.

Adding Clarke/ Phillips gave a Plan B, we've see with Flynn that he can make a big impact with his pace, if he can get fitter then he can be a major asset.

Up front we have been too static, BT and Porter aren't mobile enough to make a huge impact other than to bring on fresh legs to do the same job as Cresswell and to a lesser extent, Ched.

Hoskins, in my mind, gives us a plan B, a tactical change, adding pace and mobility, it gives us a lot of options for additional movement up front. bringing on Hoskins at Huddersfield/ the Sty will give the defenders more problems because I imagine that Wilson's thinking is that him and Ched can create an attacking line which can hurry defenders into mistakes.

I'm starting to see a similarity to 2005/06 season - Ships and Webber/ Kabba with Keef, Full size Quinny, Ifill, Tonge, Bad Buy and a number of bit part players.

Plan C
The difference is, that we don't seem physically to have the muscle to battle with the likes of Wendy, so do we still need a 'Plan C? Or can we combat these heathens with our Plan A and B so that we don't have to worry about Plan C?

Wow, I agree with quite a lot of that as an assesment (I've highlighted where I don't).

I think Ched doesn't play like a proper "striker" in that he doesn't seem to know how to find the "tap in" but I'm hoping Hoskins (and a fit BT) will sort this.

I don't think we have a Plan C to combat pure Hoof BUT I'm hoping plans A and B will be enough to see off the neandertals whose only tactic this is (i.e. Pigs/Stevenage).

With a defence of Lowton Maguire Collins and Jean-Francois we have some good height, whilst any of the target men + McDonald should be big enough to do decent marking jobs on the fifth and sixth biggest aerial threats at defensive set pieces. What we need to do against direct sides is take control of the games and try to outplay them. We didn't do this when we played the pigs. After our two goals we completely stopped attacking, which allowed them to push all their big men forward again and again. This lead to a very deserved equaliser.

Hoskins does add quick feet (not sure if he's got real pace), but Evans' form this season has proven that a typical goalgetter is what this team needs, and Hoskins is also that type of player.

Games may be different next season if we go up. We may not be able to outplay teams on a regular basis, as has been our strength this season, and there's no guarantee the goalgetter type will be as effective in next season's line up. We may need to look for more pace.

Is Evans quicker this season or are his markers slower?

You're right about Ched, I think he plays a lot like an attacking midfielder thats too far up the pitch.

We need Hoskins to be like Peschisolido/ Dean Saunders (which Webber and Kabba were like in patches)

We need Hoskins to be the man that can score one v one with the keeper after he beats the offside trap. Like we wanted Jamie Ward to be (and was great at except for his inability to finish)

Good thread stimulating thoughts.
Consider plan Z, build an aircraft carrier.

It doesn't matter who we start with, but i think one problem is that late on, we don't have somebody to put on with pace and the ability to cause problem for tired defenders.

Good thread stimulating thoughts.
Consider plan Z, build an aircraft carrier.

Plan Z I thought was build a brick wall in front of your goal and try to poison the opposition pre match with laxatives.

I stopped reading when I saw that you thought Cresswell was good in the air lol ;)

bit harsh on Ched i reckon.

took the missus to her first (and prob last) Blades game vs Notts County and the only thing she remembers is that Ched was greased lightning. i have to agree, i think hes fast when he gets going, off the ball at least.

Plan Z I thought was build a brick wall in front of your goal and try to poison the opposition pre match with laxatives.

Do we need more strength in the air? If so follow German Plan Z, and end up with Graf Zeppelin.

Good stuff Swiss but I'm not sure about this comparison with Kabba. For the first few months of 05/06 he was electric, I don't see any similarities between him and any of our players.

Wow, I agree with quite a lot of that as an assesment (I've highlighted where I don't).

I think Ched doesn't play like a proper "striker" in that he doesn't seem to know how to find the "tap in" but I'm hoping Hoskins (and a fit BT) will sort this.

I don't think we have a Plan C to combat pure Hoof BUT I'm hoping plans A and B will be enough to see off the neandertals whose only tactic this is (i.e. Pigs/Stevenage).

That is a very harsh assessment of Stevenage who are hard working muscular team but they are definitely not a hoof ball team with only one tactic.

Back
Top Bottom