CONFIRMED Conor Hourihane signs on loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We wont see houriuhane again IMO

However Sharp/Osborne/Jimmy Fleck have been putting in dire performances for months/years and they play every match 90 minutes without fail

Slav clearly has his favourites the ones who he can rely on , rely on to be average every match

Absolutely gash last night. Slav rightly subbed him off when it clearly wasn't working and we looked so much better without him.

Apart from his couple of assists at Hull, he's done nothing to suggest he should be starting.

I said when we signed him that this was a signing 3/4 years too late and that's looking likely to be the case.

His manager just deliberately called him out in front of 25,000 people (rather than waiting until half time) so I doubt we'll see much more of him.

Totally underwhelming signing IMO...past his best, no pace and no better than Fleck / Norwood (on previous form).....signing(s) required that can run fast with the ball and beat players please...
I did post this previously...Norwood is a far better option albeit he is well past his best...complete waste of a loan fee and large wages IMO....struggling with the loans thus far, surely there was another MGW or similar out there? We need youth & pace...

His manager just deliberately called him out in front of 25,000 people (rather than waiting until half time) so I doubt we'll see much more of him.

Do you think that substitution was about Hourihane? I don’t. I think it was completely about changing our shape and it made most sense to take him off. He was no worse in that first half than the rest of the team. The issue was that he was being asked to play the ‘Norwood’ role which isn’t suited to him. Having him, Fleck and Osborn all in midfield meant there was no balance to the team.

It wasn’t that many games ago when everyone was singing his praises and they couldn’t understand why he wasn’t starting in front of Norwood.

Odd performance from him, I thought he would grab the shirt off Norwood last night.

Depends on the man's reaction. Does he take it on the chin and redouble his efforts in training or does he disappear, taking any hope of prolonging his career above the third tier with him?

Slav basically admitted he made the wrong team selection. If I’m honest then I would have hooked Osborne for Ndiaye
Osborne is VERY ordinary and nothing more than a squad player
Could've hooked Didsy, Osborn, Bogle or Hourihane, but i'm inclined to agree that Osborn was completely ineffective out on the left.

Could've hooked Didsy, Osborn, Bogle or Hourihane, but i'm inclined to agree that Osborn was completely ineffective out on the left.

In the first half Didsy was our worst player predominately because we were trying to attack through him but his poor touch or passing was stopping everything so we couldn’t build. I was getting increasingly more frustrated with watching him try a fancy flick to absolutely nobody.

Did he actually touch the ball last night? I’d already decided he was a dud from previous performances but I made a note to keep an eye on him (made easier by those hideous luminous boots) and it was a truly cowardly performance, he actively avoided being in a position where he was available to be passed to, even the keeper didn’t roll it out to him. Having him on the pitch caused a malaise to run through the whole team as we were effectively playing with 10 men. As soon as he was withdrawn you could sense the spirit of the team lift, and we were instantly transformed and became the dominant team. It’s a no from me.

Did he actually touch the ball last night? I’d already decided he was a dud from previous performances but I made a note to keep an eye on him (made easier by those hideous luminous boots) and it was a truly cowardly performance, he actively avoided being in a position where he was available to be passed to, even the keeper didn’t roll it out to him. Having him on the pitch caused a malaise to run through the whole team as we were effectively playing with 10 men. As soon as he was withdrawn you could sense the spirit of the team lift, and we were instantly transformed and became the dominant team. It’s a no from me.
Flecks game immediately lifted, he was playing deeper and taking the ball (and responsibility)... until half time at least. He probably thought he was next to get hooked off

Which previous performances? Last night was just the second game that he's started for us, the first one being against Hull where he got two assists and most on here were singing his praises. How many starts do players normally get before you write them off completely?

As said, disappointing from an experienced pro. Never really showed for the ball and say what you like about Norwood, he is always willing to accept the ball. Difference with Ndiaye was he went searching for the ball, but can be a little naive at times and can lose it in dangerous position. (Fleck also guilty of that last night). Much rather see Ndiaye do his stuff on the edge of the opponents box. What's happened to the Algerian enforcer?

Which previous performances? Last night was just the second game that he's started for us, the first one being against Hull where he got two assists and most on here were singing his praises. How many starts do players normally get before you write them off completely?
He’s played in 3 or 4 games at home and been invisible in all of them. You just don’t realise he is on the pitch as he doesn’t get involved. Regarding Hull away, he provided two assists from the corners and not a lot else, do that regularly and you can get away it I suppose. If he turns it around I will hold my hands up, but I think he’s finished as a player.

If it helps I wrote Brewster off after his first couple of starts.

He’s played in 3 or 4 games at home and been invisible in all of them. You just don’t realise he is on the pitch as he doesn’t get involved. Regarding Hull away, he provided two assists from the corners and not a lot else, do that regularly and you can get away it I suppose. If he turns it around I will hold my hands up, but I think he’s finished as a player.

If it helps I wrote Brewster off after his first couple of starts.

Not including last night, in his appearances (off the bench) at Home he's played an average of 15 minutes per game. Do you really think 15 minutes is enough for you to judge him accurately?

Not including last night, in his appearances (off the bench) at Home he's played an average of 15 minutes per game. Do you really think 15 minutes is enough for you to judge him accurately?
I really do, he just doesn’t look interested. I accept its a harsh judgment, but that’s what I’m seeing. Time will tell of course and if I’m wrong it’s good for the club.

I really do, he just doesn’t look interested. I accept its a harsh judgment, but that’s what I’m seeing. Time will tell of course and if I’m wrong it’s good for the club.

It's not harsh, it's ridiculous. It's completely impossible to judge a player based on a 15 minute cameo off the bench, especially when those 15 minutes are when the player is playing with a new set of team mates, in a completely new team and under a new manager who may be asking him to play a slightly different role to the one he's used to. It's also ridiculous to suggest a professional footballer like Hourihane isn't interested. There's been nothing throughout his entire career to suggest that he's that type of player.

It's not harsh, it's ridiculous. It's completely impossible to judge a player based on a 15 minute cameo off the bench, especially when those 15 minutes are when the player is playing with a new set of team mates, in a completely new team and under a new manager who may be asking him to play a slightly different role to the one he's used to. It's also ridiculous to suggest a professional footballer like Hourihane isn't interested. There's been nothing throughout his entire career to suggest that he's that type of player.
In what we have seen from him so far he has done nothing in open play and doesn't look to get on he ball. As an experienced midfielder he should have little issue bedding in to a new club and team mates or new manager. The issue to me appears to be that some midfielders drive and dictate the game and others just turn up and do the simple things which gets by if playing with a good midfielder. Hourihane doesn't not have any presence or influence in the game and we dont have anyone in midfield to dictate games.

In what we have seen from him so far he has done nothing in open play and doesn't look to get on he ball. As an experienced midfielder he should have little issue bedding in to a new club and team mates or new manager. The issue to me appears to be that some midfielders drive and dictate the game and others just turn up and do the simple things which gets by if playing with a good midfielder. Hourihane doesn't not have any presence or influence in the game and we dont have anyone in midfield to dictate games.

And my point is that we haven’t seen anywhere near enough to judge him properly yet. It may well turn out that it was a poor signing but at least give the lad a chance before you write him off.

Two starts isn’t giving him a chance.

The formation was wrong yesterday and Slav changed it, but Hourihane was being played far to deep, he had a spell being played in that position at Villa and didn’t appear to do well. Play him further forward, maybe a bit like Didzy, he might even find the net.

I was bit dissapointed about him being subbed off in game where he replaced Norwood in starting XI.

I still bite my teeth everytime I see Norwood play the ball or near it and I was happy to see Hourihane on the pitch from the start. Hourihane ain't the most visible player on the pitch and it might be related to position/role/situation as I think he was way more involved last time he was subbed on.

Also at those times being out of spot light he doesn't cause same kind of stress that Norwood does by his actions. After first few games I thought anyone would have been improvement to our midfield and Norwood+Fleck haven't really gone away nor given decent amount of changes to others, but that's managers decision and he for sure knows things better than me.

And my point is that we haven’t seen anywhere near enough to judge him properly yet. It may well turn out that it was a poor signing but at least give the lad a chance before you write him off.

Two starts isn’t giving him a chance.
He may come good but I dont see him as any improvement on either Norwood or Fleck and this is exactly the area of the field that we needed to strengthen the most. Geoudiora had more about him in the short time he played.
But he wont have the legs for the full game.
We are lightweight so we need to be busy, mobile and inventive in midfield.

We wont see houriuhane again IMO

However Sharp/Osborne/Jimmy Fleck have been putting in dire performances for months/years and they play every match 90 minutes without fail

Slav clearly has his favourites the ones who he can rely on , rely on to be average every match
Sharp has been putting in dire performances for years? Really??

Exactly the sort of desperate signing I expected.

He does take a decent set play and can score the odd goal which is more than anyone else but in general play he is extremely ordinary. Even Swansea fans said he was poor when he played for them and most did not want him back despite the odd goal..

We needed energy and people who could break through midfield and play forward passes. Isn't this lad another Fleck/Norwood type?

Surely the sort of player that has been available all summer too...noone has signed him including us so why now? Just seems to be a 'just get someone in' type signing. As I say if he can score 'A' goal or take a decent corner then maybe that is something.

Underwhelming to say the least if true.

Last night was everything I feared about thus signing. His lack of application was startling he's outif contract in the summer so is playing for his next contract yet barely broke into a sweat?

Fair do's to the lad, had an uninspired first half, but 2nd half came out like a man possessed.

Was cutting everything out, taking shots, playing one touch first time passes. (ok some didn't come off)

If he'd played like that first half I think we would have got all 3 points.

Fair do's to the lad, had an uninspired first half, but 2nd half came out like a man possessed.

Was cutting everything out, taking shots, playing one touch first time passes. (ok some didn't come off)

If he'd played like that first half I think we would have got all 3 points.
Yes 1st half he looked petrified, 2nd half got his head together and played very well

Back
Top Bottom