Storm Eunice

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The Grunter's pitch must be a joy to behold now.

Is it just me that wants to it be cancelled?! On balance, added rest. This run of fixtures was madness and allows some of that fatigue and those injuries to be rested. 🤷🏼‍♂️

We cant cancel! Not after all the shit ive been giving the piglets about their rice paddy. I'll work through the night with a hair dryer and sponge if need be

Great fun, I used to work on the ferries in Dover and loved that weather, apart from the customer puke everywhere.

And yes pommpey I know naval ships don't have stabilisers and get it worse 😁

Smaller ships - Mine Countermeasures Vessels and some patrol craft don't have stabilisers.

Anything above does though. They're okay, they work and they do attenuate the pitch, yaw and roll, provided the Officer of the Watch is on his/her game and know not to put the ship across the sea at low speeds.

Worst I have had is crossing from the Falklands to South Georgia in early 1994. Sixty, seventy foot swell from peak to trough in a 4200 Type 42 Destroyer. I've crossed Drake Passage a few times in HMS Endurance in 2005-2007 which is round-hulled and has no stabilisers, but a high-up 'Roll Reduction Tank' (which we had suspicions wasn't calibrated for the ships displacement, and the weather there simply does what the fuck it wants as it is the convergence of three transoceanic currents. Also was caught in a particularly nasty depression off Rockall in the destroyer in early 1995 where we were providing target calibration for the Victorious Class submarines. We turned back across the sea and the whole of the back end simply disappeared (according to the submarine captain watching on the targeting scope) under a vast wave which smashed the hangar door in and took the safely parked helicopter off its tethers into the front of the hangar and a member of the ships flight up one side of the hangar and down the other. Fortunately he managed to grab something before being swept out overboard, where we'd never have found him.

The weather = not to be fucked with

pommpey

Isn't the bigger issue Swansea making it to Sheffield?

It's really bad down there, they've had structural damage to their stadium, no planes or trains running anywhere in Wales, both Severn bridges are closed.

Maybe they played it safe and came up yesterday but there's nothing to suggest they did.

EDIT - I missed posts on page 1 about this. Looks most likely they'll end up travelling early Saturday.

We're in Herefordshire just outside of the Red Warning Zone, and it is all a bit pathetic. My kids' school even shut for the day just cos of a few twigs on the road.

A wind gust of 122mph has been recorded on the Isle of Wight in what is thought to be a new record for England, the Met Office said. The squall was reported at The Needles on the Isle of Wight as millions of Britons were urged to stay at home as Storm Eunice hit the UK.1 hour ago

Isn't the bigger issue Swansea making it to Sheffield?

It's really bad down there, they've had structural damage to their stadium, no planes or trains running anywhere in Wales, both Severn bridges are closed.

Maybe they played it safe and came up yesterday but there's nothing to suggest they did.

EDIT - I missed posts on page 1 about this. Looks most likely they'll end up travelling early Saturday.
I will let you off on this occasion.

Back
Top Bottom