Mike Ashley to the Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Barney

Reaction score
Actual rumours that Mike Ashley via a third party is to be investing in the club and that the shares thing is linked to this.

Discuss

giphy.gif

Dear me.

I might be in the minority but I'd rather have MA than PA at this moment in time. Anyone saying different really needs to look in detail at his time in charge at Newcastle not just the headlines or Newcastle fans views.

Doesn't matter anyway as there's absolutely zero chance that MA invests a bit of money through a 3rd party. If he wants the club he's 100% going to make a bid to buy it off PA in full.

Well plenty on here are shouting for a billionaire to buy the club. Let's see what happens if, on the off-chance, this rumour does come to fruition.

The main issue for those championing the club being acquired from HRH by an individual such as MA is that MA is not a benefactor but an investor. Just because his net worth is greater than HRH does not mean that more $$$ will be injected into the club to improve the playing squad, stadium, training facilities and academy. As he did at Newcastle, he'll most probably put in just enough to enable him to achieve his aim of turning a profit - while that may include promotion to the Prem being targeted, you won't meet many Newcastle supporters that rate or enjoyed what he did while he was in charge there.

Be careful what you wish for!

Dear me.

I might be in the minority but I'd rather have MA than PA at this moment in time. Anyone saying different really needs to look in detail at his time in charge at Newcastle not just the headlines or Newcastle fans views.

Doesn't matter anyway as there's absolutely zero chance that MA invests a bit of money through a 3rd party. If he wants the club he's 100% going to make a bid to buy it off PA in full.

I’m genuinely intrigued to see what you think he actually achieved at Newcastle?

• Spent fuck all.
  • Relegated a huge estabilised PL club - twice
  • consistently in the bottom third of the league and just avoiding relegation every year.
  • Gave a 7 year contract to one of his drinking pals.
  • Inexplicably appointed joe kennear to a PL job.
  • never had a cup run.
  • spent nowt on the academy
  • changed the stadium name despite knowing everyone would hate it.

The Prince at least put some money into trying to stay up. Ashley has shown himself to be nothing more than a leech to be honest. I’m not arguing he doesn’t have empire money than the prince, doesn’t mean he’s going to use it for anything other than his own gains.

I’d suggest the views of the Newcastle fans that actually support the club should carry some weight regarding his achievements

Last edited:
A club like Derby are in a position to snap his hand off at whatever he decides to offer because they basically have no choice in the matter.

While we're not awash with money and the Prince's regime have indicated their lack of willing to invest any more money, I'd like to think that we're in a position to be a bit more choosy than selling the club to Mike Ashley for all the reasons mentioned above. As arrogant as Newcastle fans are living off a couple of good seasons under Kevin Keegan and thinking they have a divine right to be at the top of the league, I'm sure they'd have wanted to have at least had a tilt at a cup or Europa League at some point, rather than being relegated and having the owner scrape any profits away to line his own pockets with.

To be honest, anyone with any decent amount of money or sense wouldn't go near a football club. Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk could buy one right now but neither have, maybe they're not interested in sports or simply not interested in pouring money down the drain.

Last edited:
Feel like pure shit just want Kev back.
Haha, as much as he made it difficult for the Prince with how he held the buildings etc and hotel.
Something that shouldn't be overlooked is that we probably wouldn't have seen the fallout between owner and Wilder and we would probably have seen improvements to the training facilities and ground.

However we probably wouldn't have spent as much either in terms of fees. You can see that as a positive at the minute but at the time we would not.

McCabe also was looking to sell to the lot who got Burnley, not sure they are any good either.

I'm not a big fan of the prince, but we could have worse. It could also get worse under him too mind you.

The most important thing in any takeover is retaining the culture of the club. Success comes and goes but the culture should be constant.

Ashley road roughshod over Newcastle, the fans felt like it wasn't their club anymore and hated him for that reason.
PH gets our culture and speaks well about it, McCabe tbf seems to have done a good job in getting that across to him.

In my view we are not a club that should have a benefactor pore tens of millions in a year, it's just not who we are or what we stand for IMO.

I would rather develop youth and take our place in the sun when it comes around without worrying about being the next Man City, or god forbid Sunderland as ultimately money guarantees nothing.

Just my personal view, I'm sure others will be different.

A club like Derby are in a position to snap his hand off at whatever he decides to offer because they basically have no choice in the matter.

While we're not awash with money and the Prince's regime have basically indicated their lack of willing to invest any more money, I'd like to think that we're in a position to be a bit more choosy than selling the club to Mike Ashley for all the reasons mentioned above. As arrogant as Newcastle fans are living off a couple of good seasons under Kevin Keegan and thinking they have a divine right to be at the top of the league, I'm sure they'd have wanted to have at least had a tilt at a cup or Europa League at some point, rather than being relegated and having the owner scrape any profits away to line his own pockets with.

To be honest, anyone with any decent amount of money or sense wouldn't go near a football club. Jeff Bezos or Elon Musk could buy one right now but neither have, maybe they're not interested in sports or simply not interested in pouring money down the drain.
I think Derby are in a situation where they don't have a choice as they have administrators needing to sell the club and recover some costs. So they have less bargaining power. They now also have the issue of the ground not being owned by the club don’t they?

Under the Prince we may have taken out loans against the assets and also future revenues (guaranteed) but we’re a much better prospect for investors.

I’d personally have no issue with Mike Ashley, but I think others would as fans expect big free spending owners.

Ashley, at Newcastle stripped everything back and treated it like any other business. This might be an issue for fans as he’s all about getting the club earning as much as it can without chucking pots of money in. If anything he ran Newcastle too efficiently.

He’s not an investor owner, he set Newcastle up to be sold. He didn’t do things the way that many would expect and of course didn’t have a good relationship with the fans. But I’m not sure he broke promises.

For the Blades we’ve had owners who’ve talked big but rarely delivered. We could do worse than the Prince or Ashley but at the same time we could do better as well

Well the Prince has given up the ghost with us.

Would Ashley do any worse?
He’s not really given up, but more he’s clearly put Hecky and Bettis in key positions as spokes persons for the club. Along with the board he’s put a big responsibility on the people that should know what they’re doing.

It’s either foolish or a master stroke

Haha, as much as he made it difficult for the Prince with how he held the buildings etc and hotel.
Something that shouldn't be overlooked is that we probably wouldn't have seen the fallout between owner and Wilder and we would probably have seen improvements to the training facilities and ground.

However we probably wouldn't have spent as much either in terms of fees. You can see that as a positive at the minute but at the time we would not.

McCabe also was looking to sell to the lot who got Burnley, not sure they are any good either.

I'm not a big fan of the prince, but we could have worse. It could also get worse under him too mind you.

Wilder would have gone to Sunderland had McCabe been in sole charge - remember the fallout when he tried to sack Bettis on the sly and Wilder and HRH had to intervene?

Those people that seriously think the club would be in a better position under McCabe either have short memories, have never dealt with him personally or perhaps just need to give their heads a wobble.

Back
Top Bottom