Theory as to why it didn't work out with Slav

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lmaobob

Wind Up Merchant
Reaction score
Slav walked in with a winning mentality after successful stints with Fulham and Watford... the players have just come off the back of a horrific prem season. I reckon Slav assumed his history and winning mentality was going to be enough to get the players going again...

Slav has said all along he "isn't here to make friends".

When Wilder took over, he walked in with a winning mentality after successful stints with Northampton and Oxford... the players have just come off the back of a horrific league one season. Wilder also probably assumed that his past and winning mentality would be enough to get the players going again...

Difference is, 4 or 5 games in, Wilder realised he needed to be more of a man-manager and get the most out of his players, hence the story with the stopping off at a newsagents and buying beer for everyone. By becoming more of a man-manager, that meant the players had more respect for him and therefore we willing to do anything for him. With time, the winning mentality came to the players and therefore the wins starting coming.

I feel Slav never changed his approach and wanted to stick to the tough guy winning mentality that the players maybe didn't want. Maybe they needed a proper man manager to get themselves back up and running again.

Hecky may be that man

Board want yes men
Maybe so, but we do have a lot of dead wood in the squad that need replacing. As long as Hecky has the ability to sign some players then it's fine. The board won't sell 10 players and sign nobody else.

Maybe so, but we do have a lot of dead wood in the squad that need replacing. As long as Hecky has the ability to sign some players then it's fine. The board won't sell 10 players and sign nobody else.
Hecky wont sign anyone which is the main reason Slav has gone. Thats why he's been brought in because he wont kick up a fuss about not signing players. He's happy to take part because he's a yes man

Hi Stegosaurus here

Honestly we could have got anybody in and they'd have failed. The players are absolutely useless and don't give a toss about anything more than collecting a paycheck. Wilder lost the lockeroom after Leicester, and then lost it even more by insisting on playing Lundstram rather than make him train with the kids. Likewise Wilder putting up with Mouset being with the club for 2 years yet still making zero effort to get into anything resembling a decent shape.

That showed the players they could take the piss--I mean If Lundstram is going to put zero effort in, still play and still collect his huge paycheck, why would anybody else want to bother trying?

Slav should have done a big clean out as soon as taking charge. Get rid and rebuild. No manager would have got that lot playing anything like because they just don't care any more (Except Big Sam, he could whip them into shape. Or Tony Pullis)

Slav walked in with a winning mentality after successful stints with Fulham and Watford... the players have just come off the back of a horrific prem season. I reckon Slav assumed his history and winning mentality was going to be enough to get the players going again...

When Wilder took over, he walked in with a winning mentality after successful stints with Northampton and Oxford... the players have just come off the back of a horrific league one season. Wilder also probably assumed that his past and winning mentality would be enough to get the players going again...

Difference is, 4 or 5 games in, Wilder realised he needed to be more of a man-manager and get the most out of his players, hence the story with the stopping off at a newsagents and buying beer for everyone. By becoming more of a man-manager, that meant the players had more respect for him and therefore we willing to do anything for him. With time, the winning mentality came to the players and therefore the wins starting coming.

I feel Slav never changed his approach and wanted to stick to the tough guy winning mentality that the players maybe didn't want. Maybe they needed a proper man manager to get themselves back up and running again.

Hecky may be that man
One thing that Wilder did was that he brought the fans and club back together. Mostly through results but he knows what the club means to the city. I'm not a big fan of the "he didn't come to wave to us" statement but they probably have a point. Maybe Hecky is the man to bring the club back together again. The club needs the fans as much as the fans need the club. When you see the statement about 'values' maybe that is the board realising that the Slav appointment was probably the wrong one in hindsight, maybe we needed someone to bring the club back to the fans again and he will do that by bringing through the youth.

Hecky may be that man
I blame covid

Hi Stegosaurus here

Honestly we could have got anybody in and they'd have failed. The players are absolutely useless and don't give a toss about anything more than collecting a paycheck. Wilder lost the lockeroom after Leicester, and then lost it even more by insisting on playing Lundstram rather than make him train with the kids. Likewise Wilder putting up with Mouset being with the club for 2 years yet still making zero effort to get into anything resembling a decent shape.

That showed the players they could take the piss--I mean If Lundstram is going to put zero effort in, still play and still collect his huge paycheck, why would anybody else want to bother trying?

Slav should have done a big clean out as soon as taking charge. Get rid and rebuild. No manager would have got that lot playing anything like because they just don't care any more (Except Big Sam, he could whip them into shape. Or Tony Pullis)
Yep.

It didn’t work out because the players aren’t that good or aren’t playing as well as they should.

They’ve seen 2 managers off and Heckingbottom will be a third in a year or so.

The guy came in playing a formation for which we had no players that fit. No defensive midfielder, no wide forwards, no AMs and

square underperforming pegs for round holes.

no wonder it didn’t work. We allowed him to bring in one player MGW for his preferred formation. Rest of the signings plugged gaping holes at CB and GK. that’s it

It neither did nor didn't work out with Slav because he's been given fuck all time to even begin to extract us from the clusterfuck Wilder left us with. How can this question even be asked?

"Why isn't this tree growing?"
"Because it's a sapling planted in a cowpat 3 weeks ago, what the fuck do you expect?"

The tempo of the games were the biggest issue. Our fanbase demand high energy blood and thunder. Slav was the exact opposite. It was always a bad fit.
He kept playing players out of position, i dont think it was work ethic. Every bit of decision making was a shambles

It didn't work out with Slav because Slav wanted to play a certain way and despite promises we didn't give him the players to be able to play that way. Stupid signing if you were never going to back him. Senseless.
Stupid and very expensive, I shudder at the cost to pay off Slav and his extensive entourage

Can't say I have enjoyed the way we have been playing, there was no noticable improvement and Slav didn't engage with the fans but other than that I thought he was all reyt.

Not sure what the board's realistic expectations of this team were exactly

Hecky may be that man
Pretty fair assessment there, I think the language was a barrier, someone once said Spanish was Slavs and the coaching staffs second language, where did English feature, it's OK speaking English, different ball game trying to add wit, sarcasm and basic one line punch lines to get through to the players though

Can't say I have enjoyed the way we have been playing, there was no noticable improvement and Slav didn't engage with the fans but other than that I thought he was all reyt.

Not sure what the board's realistic expectations of this team were exactly
In fairness, many on here thought we'd walk the league or at least finish in the top 4

Did anyone think Slav would turn us into a winning every week team this season ? I’m guessing that the board didn’t so they’ve made their gambit in the hope of making the play offs. Personally I think that we’re skint and Hecky et al are the cheap cheap option where he can sell a few players and be expected to use U23 to bulk the squad.

My theory for what it is worth is that Slav wasn't the number 1 target as new manager I'm thinking our target was Blessin but we fucked up thinking he could get a work permit when he couldn't. We messed about and messed about until Slav was the last option. For someone to carry on the 3-5-2 legacy Slav was not the choice anyone would have made it made no sense at all Slav doesn't play that way. We can all see promotion is a long shot now and the cheapest option left to us is Heckingbottom which might not be a bad thing he did improve us at the back end of last season and in a higher league.

I’m not entirely sure why we hired him as he prefers a flat back 4 and the club is 3/5/2 from top to bottom he’s also renowned for splashing the cash and we’re not so he’s either been sold a pup or he thought he could train the players to his liking his appointment has been like our transfer policy.

My theory for what it is worth is that Slav wasn't the number 1 target as new manager I'm thinking our target was Blessin but we fucked up thinking he could get a work permit when he couldn't. We messed about and messed about until Slav was the last option. For someone to carry on the 3-5-2 legacy Slav was not the choice anyone would have made it made no sense at all Slav doesn't play that way. We can all see promotion is a long shot now and the cheapest option left to us is Heckingbottom which might not be a bad thing he did improve us at the back end of last season and in a higher league.
At the time of Slavs appointment I did wonder why they chose him, but said that they wanted someone who played and understood 3-5-2.

Hi Stegosaurus here

Easy to say "get rid". Much harder to do when you have players on big contracts that no other club wants or can afford.

So in other words, unless you're a yes man .. get to fuck 🤦‍♂️

This could be James Shield just stirring the shit though. He follows up with this:

I tell you what they looked very much together after the match against Reading especially after what happened to Fleck.

Hecky may be that man
If you don't give someone the tools to do the job, what is the result? If any of our board goes into hospital for an operation, would they accept the surgeon using a knife, fork and a spoon to perform the op? No, of course not! To me it is like asking Slava to play attacking, attractive dominant football without the players to do it the way he wants!

Back
Top Bottom