My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The problem is this:

Yes, he can receive, look up and smack the ball with enough backlift to land at the feet of an advancing wingback/fullback. But non of our wingbacks/fullbacks have the potatoes to burst forward past their maker into empty space beyond and toward a penalty area where the opposition defence are frantically backpedalling, two on two. Instead, Norwood's pings usually are not in front of the player but 'at' the player, causing him to stop, control and by that time the opposition have manoeuvred players in to halt their progress. So what happens? Yep, it goes backwards, across the pitch and back to Norwood who clouts it across to the other wing. Rinse and repeat.

We never change the approach and attack 'direct'. MGW and Ndaiye are itching to do this but yesterday in particular, they were quickly intercepted and dispossessed, because no one round them is moving into space and drawing players off them, or simply creating options.

You can only keep doing the same old shit so many times before the opposition intercept this predictable stuff and suddenly you are defending a quick counter. The only time Norwood produces a goal threat is when he goes infield, usually into space where Billy is running (hence the red card, the goal vs Plymouth) Everything else is just fucking showboating, resulting in 'nothing'.

pommpey
This is so obvious , I can't understand why Boris the Blade hasn't already shot Norwood for doing it or at least beaten him to death with his reliable heavy gun

You're actually in on the team briefings then?

pommpey
Bert was always under the impression that one of the manager's jobs was to dictate the style of play and give individual players instructions regarding how they should contribute into the style of play.

Obviously not.

The problem is this:

Yes, he can receive, look up and smack the ball with enough backlift to land at the feet of an advancing wingback/fullback. But non of our wingbacks/fullbacks have the potatoes to burst forward past their maker into empty space beyond and toward a penalty area where the opposition defence are frantically backpedalling, two on two. Instead, Norwood's pings usually are not in front of the player but 'at' the player, causing him to stop, control and by that time the opposition have manoeuvred players in to halt their progress. So what happens? Yep, it goes backwards, across the pitch and back to Norwood who clouts it across to the other wing. Rinse and repeat.

We never change the approach and attack 'direct'. MGW and Ndaiye are itching to do this but yesterday in particular, they were quickly intercepted and dispossessed, because no one round them is moving into space and drawing players off them, or simply creating options.

You can only keep doing the same old shit so many times before the opposition intercept this predictable stuff and suddenly you are defending a quick counter. The only time Norwood produces a goal threat is when he goes infield, usually into space where Billy is running (hence the red card, the goal vs Plymouth) Everything else is just fucking showboating, resulting in 'nothing'.

pommpey

Good post.

It was tough yesterday. Three different baits in various spots, with little sign of active feeding. Four liners and a few vague bleeps on the Delks. My buddy in an adjacent peg landed an 18:2 mirror though

pommpey
Are you talking about angling, or the threads you start? Always fishing for compliments 😀

Thought Norwood was fantastic on Saturday. His passing was brilliant and he played a lot of balls that put people in very dangerous positions. Can't blame him if they don't make the most of it. Most of his passes are to the wing backs who have to sprint forward to get to the ball, not pinged straight at them so they have to stop. If he can carry on like yesterday it's going to be a huge boost for us this season.

pommpey Kev and Steph are good to deal with. I drink in there a lot. Think any gig are now outside. BUT they had it all covered up. Nice set up now. And good range of beers at good prices.
Kev & Steph are great. As well as the band’s fee Steph also goes round with a collection which, if people enjoy the band, tends to boost your earnings considerably. Because nobody wants to say no to Steph! 😁

You're actually in on the team briefings then?

pommpey

Jokanović doesn't strike me as the type of manager who thinks "my player keeps doing pointless showboating, but I daren't ask him not to in case I upset him".

It was a turgid generally uninspiring performance. RND is a frustrating player. Opposition fans would be wise not to annoy or wind Billy up because it’s not in their teams interest.

So why does Norwood insist on twatting the ball across the park in such a manner?

pommpey
Actually - and this is not a criticism - but that is a good example of the difference between being at a game and watching it on TV. You will have seen Norwood dropping pretty deep to pick up the ball. We played some nice triangles to create some midfield space. The next ball out in previous matches has been through to MGW and Ndiaye but that outball wasn't there on Saturday with both having at least two players closing. Ndiaye didn't have the best of games either. Norwood's crossfield balls was finding the space fantastically but that just left a full back and Sharp against the remaining players with Fleck in the hole. MGW and Osbourne moved out to support the full backs but it closed any space up quite quickly. Crosses were then coming in but Davies and Jagielka were eating them up. However, we still created two or three very good chances from the crosses for Sharp (x2) and Ndiaye that we didn't take advantage of and would have been a whole different game.

Actually - and this is not a criticism - but that is a good example of the difference between being at a game and watching it on TV. You will have seen Norwood dropping pretty deep to pick up the ball. We played some nice triangles to create some midfield space. The next ball out in previous matches has been through to MGW and Ndiaye but that outball wasn't there on Saturday with both having at least two players closing. Ndiaye didn't have the best of games either. Norwood's crossfield balls was finding the space fantastically but that just left a full back and Sharp against the remaining players with Fleck in the hole. MGW and Osbourne moved out to support the full backs but it closed any space up quite quickly. Crosses were then coming in but Davies and Jagielka were eating them up. However, we still created two or three very good chances from the crosses for Sharp (x2) and Ndiaye that we didn't take advantage of and would have been a whole different game.
Spot on ,you dont pick up a lot on TV ,space ,the pace of the game ,the atmosphere ,the whole shape and intensity of the game are lost to TV. You might see a close up replay an things like that but anyone whos played football or who goes regularly knows its not a true refection.
You do know we will now be accused of being 'bigger blades' .

Spot on ,you dont pick up a lot on TV ,space ,the pace of the game ,the atmosphere ,the whole shape and intensity of the game are lost to TV. You might see a close up replay an things like that but anyone whos played football or who goes regularly knows its not a true refection.
You do know we will now be accused of being 'bigger blades' .
Good job I hate fishing. I have to go to games instead.

Watched it from the luxury of my bivvy on the bank of Rush Lake at Coking Farm Fisheries. 0/10 for me fishing wise. Late September feeding switch off with high pressure to blame for most lakes not producing. Cold front sweeps in tomorrow which should see the carp suddenly go into winter feeding mode and catches pick up until the first cold snaps in November.

Have to admit I am very pleased we came away from the Derby game with three points, but again, the two pivot points of the game were on the shoulders of our verteran striker. The rest of it was hard work, even against ten men. The pattern and tempo of play was untidy and unbalanced and I don't think we covered ourselves in glory for most of the game and, truly, could have surrendered two points at the death.

First half I think they matched us and were more in control, despite our expected dominance. Again, with Norwood playing the direction of play whiffed badly of Wilderball with some nice, yet ineffective pings out wide which look great but do fucking nothing. It even encourages less able players like Egan to try that shit to laughable consequences. Unless the ball is at the feet of Ndaiye or MGW, we don't really look like creating a chance on goal which ends with their keeper making an effort to stop it. This is a bit crap, but it's expected when you play the same fucking tactics, and get the ball into a wing area and play it backwards. When we decide to cross it early, like Baldock did, it ends on the head of Sharp. Yep, he should have buried that.

But when Norwood looks toward the centre for an outlet, we do look threatening. This came to pass with their keeper getting sent off, and also with Ndaiye and MGW becoming more involved and threatening, if not a bit easy to dispossess when moving toward the box. When down to ten, Derby simply went 4-4-1 and denied us the opportunities, allowed us to waste time in the crossing zones, and when the cross came in, McBurnie was flailing about behind the central defenders making out he was going for the ball.

The penalty was nailed on and if Billy missed it after last week's effort he was on shaky ground but you know him, he won't let us down.

Olsen 6/10: Not a massive task for him today. Still looks like he is finding his feet, behind a defence still finding it's feet.
Baldock 7/10: Had his hands full with this brother and their winger and dealt with them effectively
Egan 6.5/10: Kept it simple for much of the game. A bit unsighted at key moments, such as the post-hit
Davies 6.5/10: An improved performance than recently
RND 4/10: Bit disappointing. Poor judgement and some miscontrols, and really, he needs to know when to go and when to not.
Fleck 6/10: Decent, if unspectacular. We have had John for a few games now. Just wish we could have the John back from two seasons ago
Norwood 6.5/10: Involved in a few forays forward and of course, hit some nice, if pointless punts out wide which ended up coming backwards
Osborn 7.5/10: Impressed with his 'all across the park' approach. Was seen at one stage feeding the ball in on the right attacking channel then down on the left wing sliding the counterattack out of play ten seconds later. He is busy.
MGW 6/10: He has skill and capability but the rest of the midfield need to read him and understand him to create space or provide one twos for him to get past players and attack
Ndaiye 6/10: An on off day for him where sometimes his endeavour worked, sometimes he was simply dispossessed and left tracking back
Sharp 6.5/10: Loses a whole point for the fifty pee header in the first half but battled and fought and got us both the numerical advantage and then the penalty

Stevens 6/10: Good to see him back and playing better, certainly better than RND. FFS man, knee over the ball
Hourihane 5/10: Surprise subbing for Norwood. Not much input
McBurnie 4/10: Bobbar.

A good, if protracted and hard fought win, when it didn't need to be. But three points is three points, even if it is 6-2 or 1-0.

pommpey
Good read again Ali.......................i will call you Ali from this day forward if thats ok with you.

1632733375101.png

So why does Norwood insist on twatting the ball across the park in such a manner?

pommpey
Well apart from Gibbs White in the 2nd half there was little or no movement up front or in midfield Ndiaye 2 chance apart and Fleck had quiet games, Billy was quiet too apart from missing 2 great chances and getting their keeper sent off. Ping out wide were the only option most of the time for Norwood not his fault that the wide men shit themselves if a defender stands in front of them.

pommpey Kev and Steph are good to deal with. I drink in there a lot. Think any gig are now outside. BUT they had it all covered up. Nice set up now. And good range of beers at good prices.
My mate played there a few year back they were inside but yeah I think they can be outside too not a bad boozer if you can put up with the pigs.

The people drinking their overpriced ales are the same people you have charged a tenner a ticket for from which you have paid the room hire.

You've been away from Sheffield too long pal.

An excellent range of Thornbridge local beers and last weekend I was paying £ 3.50 per pint. Hardly overpriced for post pandemic ale around here.

A tenner for a decent act is a bargain. Oh, '80s synthpop tribute' you say? Don't worry then, I won't be hanging around by the stage door waiting to suck you dick.

You've been away from Sheffield too long pal.

An excellent range of Thornbridge local beers and last weekend I was paying £ 3.50 per pint. Hardly overpriced for post pandemic ale around here.

A tenner for a decent act is a bargain. Oh, '80s synthpop tribute' you say? Don't worry then, I won't be hanging around by the stage door waiting to suck you dick.

Blimey, coco. You don't half get excited by stuff like this, don't you? And what's with the 'sucking my dick' angle? Projecting much, closet-o?

If I wanted tedious 'local beers' advice 'pal', I'd have asked for it. Seems you know your ales. Pubs are full of people like you. Sat on their tod.

And maybe synthpop aint for you. More K-Pop and Little Mix.

pommpey

Good read again Ali.......................i will call you Ali from this day forward if thats ok with you.

View attachment 121818

Oh, Christ. That bloke gives me the fucking shits. He was ace about ten years ago - 'that Asian bloke' massively into carp fishing. He was brilliant on S1 and S2 of Thinking Tackle and someone you could believe in.

Then he discovered money, celebrity mates (namely TOWIE bellends after a pay day who truly didn't give a fuck about riparian activities) and his own fucking bloated ego. He's split with Korda now (even though Danny Fairbrass is terminally ill with cancer) and seems to think everyone will migrate over to his world, that of fishing waters overseas no one on meagre budgets would even think or dream of fishing.

He should have stuck to his fucking roots and remember that for many, it is a lifestyle played out on slender money.

pommpey

Jokanović doesn't strike me as the type of manager who thinks "my player keeps doing pointless showboating, but I daren't ask him not to in case I upset him".

Yet he pointlessly showboats.

Odd that.

pommpey

Blimey, coco. You don't half get excited by stuff like this, don't you?

I'm putting you right with yer' real facts. I thought you liked facts.

And what's with the 'sucking my dick' angle? Projecting much, closet-o?

Filthy toilet humour. I thought that would be right up your street so apologies if I offended any delicate sensibilities.

If I wanted tedious 'local beers' advice 'pal', I'd have asked for it. Seems you know your ales. Pubs are full of people like you. Sat on their tod.

Tedious, that's me!. It's almost like you know me.
And maybe synthpop aint for you. More K-Pop and Little Mix.

Punk/Oi mate. Now if you did the Marples on a Monday night, I'd happy to be down there pogoing in front of the stage and gobbing on you.

It's good of you to point that out, rather than be a snarky twat who drops in every now and then and offers nothing but slaver.

However, many watch it on television, some even contribute to v-blogs too. It doesn't denude their opinion, does it? My point is this, although Norwood finds the man out wide, it isn't a progressive footballing move. Oppositions simply overload what isn't in fact our overload any more. Our receiver always goes backwards. So what's the point? I get it fans think Norwood has a wand of a foot and yeah, he does. But does anything he feeds out to the flanks result in a goal? If not, why? Also if not, why are we doing it? Do you not think oppositions are now inviting him to do it- allowing RND/Enda/George to creep up the wing with their arms up because they know Norwood will try the ping and then they just deploy four out to block the advance, forcing us instantly backwards and across the other side? Rinse and repeat. Nothing actually gets done and it's odds on they'll intercept and counter. It's been the same since last season, possibly post lockdown the season before. Predictable stuff.

When Norwood finds someone central however, we are in a different game. And he never, ever runs with the ball, gains ten, fifteen, twenty metres and puts the opposition on the back foot. I don't need to be at the game to see that, believe me.

pommpey

t's good of you to point that out, rather than be a snarky twat who drops in every now and then and offers nothing but slaver.

That must be really tiresome for you.

Still, it's an open forum isn't it, so I suppose 'snarky twats' are just an occupational hazard for a hardened journo' who just 'tells it like it is'.

I'm putting you right with yer' real facts. I thought you liked facts.

Well, not you mentioning sucking my dick. That's a 'fact' I'd like struck from the record, you curious, weird individual

Filthy toilet humour. I thought that would be right up your street so apologies if I offended any delicate sensibilities.

There's filthy toilet humour, and there's projecting. I think I'll leave it there.

Tedious, that's me!. It's almost like you know me.

Yeah. It seems so.

Punk/Oi mate. Now if you did the Marples on a Monday night, I'd happy to be down there pogoing in front of the stage and gobbing on you.

I bet the place is a musical atmosphere of high standards and audience joy. Mainly sweaty, skinheaded, brutish men, wrestling with each other ...

Hang on ... there's a crossing of homoerotic ley lines here, isn't there?

pommpey

That must be really tiresome for you.

Still, it's an open forum isn't it, so I suppose 'snarky twats' are just an occupational hazard for a hardened journo' who just 'tells it like it is'.

A hardened journo? Like who?

pommpey

It's good of you to point that out, rather than be a snarky twat who drops in every now and then and offers nothing but slaver.

However, many watch it on television, some even contribute to v-blogs too. It doesn't denude their opinion, does it? My point is this, although Norwood finds the man out wide, it isn't a progressive footballing move. Oppositions simply overload what isn't in fact our overload any more. Our receiver always goes backwards. So what's the point? I get it fans think Norwood has a wand of a foot and yeah, he does. But does anything he feeds out to the flanks result in a goal? If not, why? Also if not, why are we doing it? Do you not think oppositions are now inviting him to do it- allowing RND/Enda/George to creep up the wing with their arms up because they know Norwood will try the ping and then they just deploy four out to block the advance, forcing us instantly backwards and across the other side? Rinse and repeat. Nothing actually gets done and it's odds on they'll intercept and counter. It's been the same since last season, possibly post lockdown the season before. Predictable stuff.

When Norwood finds someone central however, we are in a different game. And he never, ever runs with the ball, gains ten, fifteen, twenty metres and puts the opposition on the back foot. I don't need to be at the game to see that, believe me.

pommpey
If he pinged every ball I would be with you but he doesn't and we are now mixing it up which we definitely weren't doing up to the Peterbro game. As said, for varying reasons - Derby press, Ndiaya not at the races, how Derby sat deep etc, it didn't work. What we did do well, particularly after the sending off, was spread the play from right to left and vice versa and Norwood did this well until he was substituted. By spreading it it made the press less effective. I actually of the mindset that the sending off allowed Derby to sit even deeper and that meant all the space in behind was blocked. At least with 11 they showed a bit of adventure and probably would have come out more as the game went on and tiredness set in. Indeed, didn't Rooney say until the sending off the tactics were hoping to nick one in the last 20?

Back
Top Bottom