My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Bit disappointing, to be honest. I was expecting more from tonight. Big chance to wrap up a few loose ends and for some sort of outcome given the chance it gave. It was pretty obvious Hastings was never gonna be the fourth man. Carmichael is defintaly involved in some way but the low target of Buckells eventually simply being the 'useful idiot' showed that the story has reached a predictable conclusion and the next instalment might be even worse than this one ended up as. There were moments, few and far between to actually rescue it.

But anyway, Sheff United took on the mighty Spurs tonight, didn't they? Plucky, battling but two-divisions-below United tried at times but the gulf in class was evident. In fact, I'd say even with Jay McEveley handballing it in characteristic Charlie fucking Caroli manner a few seasons ago at White Hart Lane #1, we were actually better then than we were tonight. Given who we have playing (only Basham the common element between that clash six years ago) it's not surprising. We were fucking shit. And that's not 'bobbar' shit. It's smeary, greasy shit, flecked with peanuts and sweetcorn kernels, carefully caught in bog roll and smeared round the place in a dirty protest. Brown crayon, stuff.

Spurs fielded an almost apologetic side. Kane looked like he was having a kick about in the park and wherever the fuck we went on the pitch, we just didn't have enough options to pass, if anyone tried to go through they were mopped up, dispossessed or left on their arse watching the Spurs players run away back up the pitch toward our goal, laughing their arses off as they did. Again, it wasn't as much 'if' Spurs scored, so much as 'when' and it was surprising they took so fucking long to execute the ball over the top they'd threatened us with. Bale simply ghosted through our back eight (count em) with everyone looking at him and simultaneous thought bubbles pronging out of the players in greens heads with 'Where's he going, eh?' in them. I mean, it's only fucking Gareth Bale, isn't it? What more can the once-most-expensive-player-in-the-world actually do, running, untraccked through our two lines of defence to latch onto a chip from Aereloae, or whatever his fucking name is? Well, he scored. Everyone looking at each other in that 'who had him' manner. We've see that before.

The rest of the first half was played in that time honoured 'mule-opposition' fashion with us repeatedly giving the ball away (almost everyone), sitting stupidly too deep or playing in a regressive, defeatist and frankly pathetic 5-3-2. We did, you know. Go watch it again. That gave Spurs two options:

1. Exploit the wide midfield areas in front of the forced back wingbacks
2. Ball over the top

We showed fucking nothing going forward, Didsy's weak shots and Brewster with his head firmly up his arse gave Spurs no problems at the back and Ramsdale thumping it long was fruitless possession wasting horseshit. Second half we had five minutes of moderate promise with Billy Swizz on the pitch and Berge but Norwood's shit strike just showed how crap we are. We were just sliced open by a team who is in the Premier League, playing Premier League football. Passing, moving, creating, shooting and scoring. Five minutes before the final whistle, I'd seen enough and Line of Duty beckoned. Spurs could have had a fucking hatful by the time I turned over. I feel they were being charitable to us to keep the score below five.

Heckingbottom has just said we 'improved in the second half'. Fuck's sake, feller. We conceded three goals in the second half, you fucking trumpet. We looked like a fucking Sunday League side. If he is in charge next season and we keep this shower of schmucks we are down again, regardless of what I have said on Sheff Utd Way last month. Things need to change, starting with him and then moving outwards until about three players are left, some of them in their thirties. In the words of Gunnery Sargeant Hartmann of Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket' fame, the rest are simply 'nothing but unorganized grab-asstic pieces of amphibian shit!' It sums the fuckers up. They eat the fucking doughnut and do the pressups because they fucking earned this.

Ramsdale 6/10: For his saves, although in truth, he is simply doing his job. He did show too much of the goal to Son for his disallowed goal and one of Bale's. but had no chance with the rest. His distribution, as ever, is piss-wank.
Bogle 4/10: Pretty much outclassed and bypassed at times.
Baldock 4/10: A worrying concept at stand-in RCB. Clumsy and wasteful with the ball but better when we went 4-4-2 as he could get up the wing a bit. He is not a centre back for fuck's sake. We have two of them on the fucking bench
Egan 5/10: Slow and ponderous at times although in his defence gave us some crucial headers, but was out of position and run a bit ragged by their strikers
Basham 5/10: Obviously carrying an injury and vulnerable. But - when he's on the ball he shows thought and ability. It's still difficult to criticise Bash and not to like him
Stevens 3/10: Still getting skinned and bypassed every week now. Both him and Bogle were pinned right back in a line today, exposing a vast area in front of them which Spurs just exploited
Norwood 2/10: One good cross. The rest of the time he was simply a straphanger - a bollard in the road. His free kicks and corners were characteristically shitwipe.
Osborn 5/10: Yeah, he runs, he chases, he tries. But he's also outfought, outskilled and outmuscled. And he's five foot and a fagpaper, so lamping the ball his way when he's up against Dier or Hojburg is only gonna end up with one result. You listening, Ramsdale? Wasn't really sure where the fuck he was meant to be playing in the first half to be honest and ended up in Lundstram's old spot, number three traffic cone.
McGoldrick 4/10: Loads of effort but judging by his end product, he either knackered, or he's just given up. His burst forward down the left wing in the fist half was so fucking poorly supported, we deserved him passing it into Lloris's hands.
Brewster 1/10: I've lost patience now. He is the biggest waste of transfer money ever, in English football. There. I said it. Tonight he looked so fucking clueless and lost. I fear for him, next season, because we are fucking stuck with him now. We can't take the massive cut (no one will fucking buy him, for a start) and Liverpool can simply enjoy the twenty odd million we wastefully spunked on this frankly useless nipper. It's not all his fault, but he is absolutely, totally out of his depth in the Premier League. We can only hope that he flourishes next season, because so far, I have seen nothing at all which tells me he is anywhere near his fee.

Burke 2/10: The usual 'runs about, achieves fuck all' outing from him. Again, what the fuck Wilder was thinking is still a baffling mystery
Berge 4/10: First 45 back since Christmas so can't be too critical, but he's still got nowt in the bag really, has he? He still looks a bit aimless in a shockingly crap midfield and still seems dreadful at imposing with his height and heading the fucking thing. Compare him with say - Hojburg.
Mousset 0/10: Actually thought Heckingbottom was taking the piss out of us sticking him on at the end.

Anyway, Line of Duty 4/10 also for a bt of a pissy ending, also.

pommpey

• Banned
Bit disappointing, to be honest. I was expecting more from tonight. Big chance to wrap up a few loose ends and for some sort of outcome given the chance it gave. It was pretty obvious Hastings was never gonna be the fourth man. Carmichael is defintaly involved in some way but the low target of Buckells eventually simply being the 'useful idiot' showed that the story has reached a predictable conclusion and the next instalment might be even worse than this one ended up as. There were moments, few and far between to actually rescue it.

But anyway, Sheff United took on the mighty Spurs tonight, didn't they? Plucky, battling but two-divisions-below United tried at times but the gulf in class was evident. In fact, I'd say even with Jay McEveley handballing it in characteristic Charlie fucking Caroli manner a few seasons ago at White Hart Lane #1, we were actually better then than we were tonight. Given who we have playing (only Basham the common element between that clash six years ago) it's not surprising. We were fucking shit. And that's not 'bobbar' shit. It's smeary, greasy shit, flecked with peanuts and sweetcorn kernels, carefully caught in bog roll and smeared round the place in a dirty protest. Brown crayon, stuff.

Spurs fielded an almost apologetic side. Kane looked like he was having a kick about in the park and wherever the fuck we went on the pitch, we just didn't have enough options to pass, if anyone tried to go through they were mopped up, dispossessed or left on their arse watching the Spurs players run away back up the pitch toward our goal, laughing their arses off as they did. Again, it wasn't as much 'if' Spurs scored, so much as 'when' and it was surprising they took so fucking long to execute the ball over the top they'd threatened us with. Bale simply ghosted through our back eight (count em) with everyone looking at him and simultaneous thought bubbles pronging out of the players in greens heads with 'Where's he going, eh?' in them. I mean, it's only fucking Gareth Bale, isn't it? What more can the once-most-expensive-player-in-the-world actually do, running, untraccked through our two lines of defence to latch onto a chip from Aereloae, or whatever his fucking name is? Well, he scored. Everyone looking at each other in that 'who had him' manner. We've see that before.

The rest of the first half was played in that time honoured 'mule-opposition' fashion with us repeatedly giving the ball away (almost everyone), sitting stupidly too deep or playing in a regressive, defeatist and frankly pathetic 5-3-2. We did, you know. Go watch it again. That gave Spurs two options:

2. Ball over the top

We showed fucking nothing going forward, Didsy's weak shots and Brewster with his head firmly up his arse gave Spurs no problems at the back and Ramsdale thumping it long was fruitless possession wasting horseshit. Second half we had five minutes of moderate promise with Billy Swizz on the pitch and Berge but Norwood's shit strike just showed how crap we are. We were just sliced open by a team who is in the Premier League, playing Premier League football. Passing, moving, creating, shooting and scoring. Five minutes before the final whistle, I'd seen enough and Line of Duty beckoned. Spurs could have had a fucking hatful by the time I turned over. I feel they were being charitable to us to keep the score below five.

Heckingbottom has just said we 'improved in the second half'. Fuck's sake, feller. We conceded three goals in the second half, you fucking trumpet. We looked like a fucking Sunday League side. If he is in charge next season and we keep this shower of schmucks we are down again, regardless of what I have said on Sheff Utd Way last month. Things need to change, starting with him and then moving outwards until about three players are left, some of them in their thirties. In the words of Gunnery Sargeant Hartmann of Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket' fame, the rest are simply 'nothing but unorganized grab-asstic pieces of amphibian shit!' It sums the fuckers up. They eat the fucking doughnut and do the pressups because they fucking earned this.

Ramsdale 6/10: For his saves, although in truth, he is simply doing his job. He did show too much of the goal to Son for his disallowed goal and one of Bale's. but had no chance with the rest. His distribution, as ever, is piss-wank.
Baldock 4/10: A worrying concept at stand-in RCB. Clumsy and wasteful with the ball but better when we went 4-4-2 as he could get up the wing a bit. He is not a centre back for fuck's sake. We have two of them on the fucking bench
Egan 5/10: Slow and ponderous at times although in his defence gave us some crucial headers, but was out of position and run a bit ragged by their strikers
Basham 5/10: Obviously carrying an injury and vulnerable. But - when he's on the ball he shows thought and ability. It's still difficult to criticise Bash and not to like him
Stevens 3/10: Still getting skinned and bypassed every week now. Both him and Bogle were pinned right back in a line today, exposing a vast area in front of them which Spurs just exploited
Norwood 2/10: One good cross. The rest of the time he was simply a straphanger - a bollard in the road. His free kicks and corners were characteristically shitwipe.
Osborn 5/10: Yeah, he runs, he chases, he tries. But he's also outfought, outskilled and outmuscled. And he's five foot and a fagpaper, so lamping the ball his way when he's up against Dier or Hojburg is only gonna end up with one result. You listening, Ramsdale? Wasn't really sure where the fuck he was meant to be playing in the first half to be honest and ended up in Lundstram's old spot, number three traffic cone.
McGoldrick 4/10: Loads of effort but judging by his end product, he either knackered, or he's just given up. His burst forward down the left wing in the fist half was so fucking poorly supported, we deserved him passing it into Lloris's hands.
Brewster 1/10: I've lost patience now. He is the biggest waste of transfer money ever, in English football. There. I said it. Tonight he looked so fucking clueless and lost. I fear for him, next season, because we are fucking stuck with him now. We can't take the massive cut (no one will fucking buy him, for a start) and Liverpool can simply enjoy the twenty odd million we wastefully spunked on this frankly useless nipper. It's not all his fault, but he is absolutely, totally out of his depth in the Premier League. We can only hope that he flourishes next season, because so far, I have seen nothing at all which tells me he is anywhere near his fee.

Burke 2/10: The usual 'runs about, achieves fuck all' outing from him. Again, what the fuck Wilder was thinking is still a baffling mystery
Berge 4/10: First 45 back since Christmas so can't be too critical, but he's still got nowt in the bag really, has he? He still looks a bit aimless in a shockingly crap midfield and still seems dreadful at imposing with his height and heading the fucking thing. Compare him with say - Hojburg.
Mousset 0/10: Actually thought Heckingbottom was taking the piss out of us sticking him on at the end.

pommpey

First

pommpey

• Banned

2. Ball over the top

pommpey

Sorry

Fleck 3/10: Dismal. Ran into brick walls and came out worse. Failed to connect or create anywhere and as said, very lucky not to have been redded

pommpey

2. Ball over the top

pommpey
I doff my cap. I love you. Spot on. Nail on head. And correct about United too. Xxx

Berge looked totally clueless and was a total softcunt for that header. Not done much more than Brewster in a United shirt so far.

Stevens and Norwood are what they are. Crap.

Brewster just looks at the moment like a complete waste of money and genuinely looks like he's really regretting coming here to play more football instead of a cosier set up at Liverpool. Poor kid.

Burke is a 100m sprinter with a football shirt on. He can't kick the ball.

pommpey My take, 1 out of 10 looks like you have run out of fruity put downs fella, hardly surprising though with this shower of shit. I'd seen enough by the time the third goal went in, pretty damn obvious now that if something doesn't change fast we are in real danger of falling straight through to league one.
Fuck knows what the dingle pig was thinking when he picked that team but the last time I saw such a shit disorganised rabble in red and white must be back in 2011 but then that is debatable too. By the time Hecky had a light bulb moment the damage had been done we were 1-0 down at HT this lot don't really have the character to ever come back from that even against poor opposition. Just WTF was he thinking having Bash at LCB and Baldock RCB in a 5-3-2 and Osborn running down the right he only has a right leg to stop him falling over FFS. God help us if he becomes manager the slide might not end until league two.
Half fit Bash and later Berge our only players who looked to have a clue how to play football. Can't really moan at Ramsdale either give world class players that many one on one's and they are going to put them away no matter who is in goal.
Stand out shit for us today, Baldock, Stevens, Norwood, Fleck and Brewster. A special mention for the last two ......................... Fleck should have seen Red for that awful stamp on their players head, the dirty little cunt knew exactly what he was doing. No excuse for that he needs to be sold to Scotland just for that challenge alone we all want to see our player get stuck in but not that way, that would have fitted in with the Leeds side of the 70's................. My patience has run out with Brewster someone said he was our best attacker last week until I pointed out that McGoldrick gives him more than 10years yet out performs him in every department. He is a lazy twat much like Lundstram and shows nothing no goals no assist all season. The kid seems to think chances will come to him if he stands there and waits, not in this league they won't you have to work your bollocks off then you might just get a chance fall your way, and we paid £23m for this pathetic excuse for a forward, says it all when Ollie Burke looks a marked improvement after he was hooked.
When will this torment end?

Shameful and embarrassing performance tonight. Not one player came out of that with any credit and was the final straw for me with many of them. Stevens, Brewster, Norwood, Fleck and Moose - I never want to see you wearing our kit again. Fuck me this season is depressing.

Words from a true literary artisan, vivid and eloquent. Well put Pomps.

"It's smeary, greasy shit, flecked with peanuts and sweetcorn kernels, carefully caught in bog roll and smeared round the place in a dirty protest. Brown crayon, stuff."

Sums up tonight, and pretty much the last year, the football, our sorry decline, not to mention not being able to go to the pub for six months to drown sorrows and lick wounds.

HH

2. Ball over the top

pommpey
You know what? I actually laughed at our performance.

There was one point, can't remember which but there was a period where our feeble attempts of playing out from the back just kept seeing us turn the ball over continuously. I actually checked involuntarily out loud at our ineptitude at the basics of the game.

The defence have no idea how to pick up and mark a man and struggle to even stay on their feet. The midfield are so woefully undynamic. You have Fleck who's looking more like Ram Man every week, Osborn puts a shift in but is like Tiny Tim and Norwood, well, after every dead ball they must actually think his name is "Fuck, sorry lads".

I think in the first half Brewster had the same touches as Lloris - 3. So for all of us who were happy to defend Wilder, defend not having 23m and having this lad instead. Terrible signing to date. May as well have kept the 23m and played N'Diaye, Hackford and Jebbeson on rotation. At least Hackford has managed a shot on target this season!

Rammers was caught in no man's land for the 1st goal too. He should have stayed or come out with more conviction. Had a good weekend our keepers - Verrips got 4 stuck past him at Ajax and Eastwood went off injured again on the hour in a win for Grimsby.

I think next year let's just support the U23s instead!

We were made to look shit by world class strike force Son, Kane and Vale who also destroyed Palace the last time they played together. We don’t have a monopoly on shit managers since Mourinhio also couldn’t get these three playing right for him But of course it’s us who have to face them on the back of losing a final. Brewster needs to look at their movement and grow up fast, even Feckinbottom has lost patience with him. We can’t moan even about var bias anymore after that shocking decision to let grumpy thug Fleck stay on the pitch. Nothing to see here for us we were just outclassed with too many weak links at this level. Well done Lads for keeping going to the end as it felt like staying the course to watch it ( it is possible to use record and still watch vastly overrated LOD - catch small axe on iPlayer if you want quality) . Thanks for the usual wan smiles from your hyperbole Pommps, the only chinks of light in the gloom. pls let it be over soon.

Last edited:
Depressing is the word for it but at least it’s almost over. I think I felt worse when we dropped to league 1 though so I’m telling meself it could be worse remember.
im glad lunny has been dropped and Brewster playing will hopefully be good in the long run hopefully!!!

As for line of duty for me they should never have killed pilkington until the last episode. There should have been an epic shoot out when he had kidnapped Steph corvette kids in the woods or something. A cocky but incompetent last man standing buckles as the forth man? God Give me strength!

2. Ball over the top

pommpey
Harsh on Burke he was the only player who was any sort of threat and gave their defence something to think about with his pace. Got in behind them a few times and if he had a faster striker playing with him and Norwood could kick a ball would have resulted in a couple of goals

The 1 for brewster is very generous tho, premier league centre backs must love playing against him it's essentially a day off

I really appreciate the effort to which anyone goes to write up any sort of report on this shower. I haven't even summoned up enough energy or willipower to watch the last two games and I didn't expect to be saying that.

I'd like to know just how shite Norwich were at the end of last season when they lost all 10 and scored one goal in doing so. I'd like to think they were as bad as we are but my head tells me that cannot possibly be the case.

Three months ago I thought that most of the first-choice eleven and a couple of others would be enough to be challenging next season. I've changed my mind, whoever comes in needs to get rid of everyone they possibly can and preferably start next season with an entirely new 25 man squad. Not feasible, of course, because who on earth is going to want most of those still under contract?

As for Berge, a genuine class player, even half fit, would look like an absolute colossus amongst this bunch of sorry misfits. As I said, I didn't have enough interest left to watch so it's up to others, including his many fans, to say just how magnificent his range is and how lucky we were to have him at all.

Since being criticised for giving marks that many thought were too low you have gone too far the other way. That was a completely spineless performance totally lacking in quality and desire. Disgraceful. Maybe a 3 for Ramsdale and Basham - the rest were 1s and 2s.

Wilder has left us in the shit and Hecky is incapable of changing anything.

Back
Top Bottom