‘The worst PL teams ever’ - Season after

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

bongleblade

Reaction score
Seen a lot of discussion about our chances for the coming Championship season... would we do a Norwich or a Huddersfield?

So I started looking at the list of the teams with the 20 worst points tallys for the Premier league, and then what their subsequent season Championship season was like.

For the sake of this, i picked the 11 clubs (out of the 20) which were in the re-branded Championship era (roughly the start of silly money PL when Abromovich bought chelsea).

PL SidePL PointsFollowing Championship Season
Reading 12/13287th
Watford 06/07286th
Portsmouth 09/1019 (deducted 9)16th
Fulham 18/19264th (promoted)
QPR 12/13254th (promoted)
Wolves 11/122523rd (Relegated)
Norwich 19/20221st (promoted)
Sheff Utd 20/2117 ????????
Villa 15/161713th
Huddersfield 18/191618th
Sunderland 08/09151st (promoted)
Derby 06/071118th

Contrasting fortunes...

5 teams either did well/as expected around the promotion spots (with 4 promoted).
6 teams finished lower half of the table, of which 2 were in a relegation battle and 1 was relegated.

The championship is a lot weaker at the moment too, with Covid having hit clubs quite hard.

I think we’ll be absolutely fine- we might not bounce straight back up, but I wouldn’t expect us to struggle anywhere near as much as some on here do.

The parachute money is an absolute life-saver. I fully expect the vast majority of Championship clubs to be downsizing squads, making cutbacks left right and centre while we have some sellable assets, and a lump sum.
We'll finish top 4, probably having to settle for a place off place before losing in the final on a warm day in May 2022. It's what we do.

i think it also goes to show about the strength of the premier league at the moment too - it is such an uneven playing field, especially compared to the championship. As mentioned before, we will be one of the best resourced clubs in the league now, let's take advantage of that

The parachute money is an absolute life-saver. I fully expect the vast majority of Championship clubs to be downsizing squads, making cutbacks left right and centre while we have some sellable assets, and a lump sum.
We'll finish top 4, probably having to settle for a place off place before losing in the final on a warm day in May 2022. It's what we do.
Unless they cancel the parachute payments as part of the reorganised EFL financing

Bring in someone like Jokanovic with experience of getting teams promoted, hold your nerve & don't sell anyone other than maybe Berge, sign some quality midfielders for the division, then yes - I can see us being in & around the top 4.

If you break up the back 3 & sell off any of our young players that should be excellent in that league then you're starting to look at a total rebuild.

Seen a lot of discussion about our chances for the coming Championship season... would we do a Norwich or a Huddersfield?

So I started looking at the list of the teams with the 20 worst points tallys for the Premier league, and then what their subsequent season Championship season was like.

For the sake of this, i picked the 11 clubs (out of the 20) which were in the re-branded Championship era (roughly the start of silly money PL when Abromovich bought chelsea).

Reading 12/13287th
Watford 06/07286th
Villa 15/161713th
Huddersfield 18/191618th
Derby 06/071118th

Contrasting fortunes...

5 teams either did well/as expected around the promotion spots (with 4 promoted).
6 teams finished lower half of the table, of which 2 were in a relegation battle and 1 was relegated.

You've missed Sunderland 2016-17. Relegated from the Premier League with 24 points. Relegated again the following season.

Aren’t the parachute payments going directly to Macquarrie bank anyway?

No I don't think so. The macquarries bank money was basically us lending this seasons money against its guarantee as its given in 3 separate installments across the season.

So basically we borrow it so it's all upfront then pay back in the 3 installments as we receive them.

Reading 12/13287th
Watford 06/07286th
Villa 15/161713th
Huddersfield 18/191618th
Derby 06/071118th

Contrasting fortunes...

I’m sure that how you get relegated matters, whether you go down fighting or, as in our present case, you pack it in some time in October.

No reason why you won't come straight back up. I doubt you'll lose may of your first eleven, and the wider squad. Teams that manage to keep as many of their numbers together tend to do well the following season - Norwich are a case in point. Brewster should score a few in the Championship and your defence midfield will be better than most of what is down there, which at the moment isn't a lot.

So no pattern at all !
Each club’s problems are different.
Norwich were clearly better than others who were relegated, as I think we will be.
one pattern , no club under 25 points were ever in relegation trouble
and only one relegation ie straight through in prem history

Reading 12/13287th
Watford 06/07286th
Villa 15/161713th
Huddersfield 18/191618th
Derby 06/071118th

Contrasting fortunes...

I can't believe that if we win 2 of our remaining games, we're better than Norwich last year.

Reading 12/13287th
Watford 06/07286th
Villa 15/161713th
Huddersfield 18/191618th
Derby 06/071118th

Contrasting fortunes...

Norwich didn't get 22 points. They got 21 points

Cheers Bongle. I've added a bit more context as well as Sunderland in 16/17. You're right, there's not much of a pattern!

PL SideSeasons in PLPL PointsFollowing Championship SeasonAnything else?
Reading 12/131287th
Watford 06/071286thPromoted via playoffs
Portsmouth 09/10719 (deducted 9)16thIn administration
Fulham 18/191264th (promoted)Promoted via playoffs
QPR 12/132254th (promoted)
Wolves 11/1232523rd (relegated)
Sunderland 16/17102424th (relegated)
Norwich 19/201211st (promoted)Arguably planned for relegation
Sheff Utd 20/21217 ????????
Villa 15/16281713th
Huddersfield 18/1921618thPromoted via playoffs
Sunderland 05/061151st (promoted)Promoted via playoffs
Derby 06/0711118thPromoted via playoffs

Interesting reading. It's worth noting that it's possible that all 3 of last years relegated sides may bounce right back which says a lot about the Championship standard at the moment and may help us find our way back to the promised land.
Promised land promising what? Weekly defeats and the vain hope of a tepid quarter fi Al surrender to a torpid Arsenal?? Great.

Promised land promising what? Weekly defeats and the vain hope of a tepid quarter fi Al surrender to a torpid Arsenal?? Great.

Woah, glass half empty - have some of mine m8!

I can't believe that if we win 2 of our remaining games, we're better than Norwich last year.

Norwich were 'OK' as far as terrible sides go - until lockdown. After that they completely collapsed which is why they ended with an awful points total, but also a reputation for not being that bad.

Unless they cancel the parachute payments as part of the reorganised EFL financing
Can't imagine they'd do this without 3-4 seasons notice - imagine the financial devastation for clubs like ours who have forecasted PL parachute money into their accounts

Can't imagine they'd do this without 3-4 seasons notice - imagine the financial devastation for clubs like ours who have forecasted PL parachute money into their accounts
I would not bank on it with government pressure brought to bear.

one pattern , no club under 25 points were ever in relegation trouble
and only one relegation ie straight through in prem history
It’s been done 3 times:

Swindon 1994 and 1995
Wolves 2012 and 2013
Sunderland 2017 and 2018

Swindon and Wolves came straight back up. Sunderland are in their 3rd year in league 1 of course.

As it stands with our current squad, I find it difficult to believe we'll be challenging for promotion next season. The manager appointment is going be a huge factor. I've seen a lot suggesting that many of our squad 'won't be here' next season, but I'm not sure what they are basing this on. Most of them are contracted beyond the end of this season with only Lundstram a certainty to leave. I'd expect Berge to leave, presuming the rumours of a relegation release clause are true, but other than that, I think the majority will still be there.

Of course if most of them find the same form that got us promoted and finished 9th in the Prem, then it would be great, but how likely is that to happen? No doubt we certainly need a refresh and who knows, maybe some returning from loan might give us a boost. Perhaps Luke Freeman will come back rejuvenated in the 'Duffy' role and maybe Norrington-Davies will put pressure on Enda and make him a world-beater again.

Basically a shitload of ifs, buts and maybes.

Back
Top Bottom