Warnock wasn't a quitter

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

How did he quit then?
Wasn't it after 100% Sean had launched an expletive laden assault on Warnock in the latter's office in presence of his family, that he decided to walk ? Or has Neil been fibbing to me ?

Wasn't it after 100% Sean had launched an expletive laden assault on Warnock in the latter's office in presence of his family, that he decided to walk ? Or has Neil been fibbing to me ?

He didn’t have a job come the end of June. His contract wasn’t renewed. I’m sure he didn’t walk out and forego almost two months wages. That’s not his style.

“If that incident hadn’t happened maybe I’d still be Sheffield United manager today. But it made me realise what certain people at the club were saying about me behind my back.”

Clearly forgetting on the morning of the game he was in the press talking about his “contract”. One he knew he wasn’t getting.

Whether Warnock was a quitter or not, he never should have taken us down. We were so far ahead of West Sham in terms of goal difference and points, we should never have let them into it. We couldnt even draw at home against 10 men on the last game to stay up.

Warnock has consistently failed at the top level. He did it with us and QPR and Cardiff.
Wilder has had one fantastic season in the top flight and half a terrible one. In the long run he could do much better for us in the prem again than Warnock has with 3 clubs.
Also he relegated Notts County in 1992.
Last season before Premier league.

If he told you it happened in his office in front of his family then yes, he’s been fibbing to you.

If he told you it happened in his office in front of his family then yes, he’s been fibbing to you.

So it didn’t happen ?

So it didn’t happen ?
FB4B8C86-C228-49DF-99CB-89E2F69A3D39.jpeg
I think the point was, Warnock wasn’t there when it happened.

but it happened, Neil Warnock not being there seems to make the event worse. What a twat Sean 100% must be.

but it happened, Neil Warnock not being there seems to make the event worse. What a twat Sean 100% must be.

If he told you SB launched his attack on him in front of his family, when he wasn't there, he obviously lied to you. So yes, 100% twat.

I always find it a bit harsh jusging Warnock on his PL level management.

How many teams did he manage that hadn’t been:
a. newly promoted after a long absence
b. with a bottom 3 budget geared towards being relegated

His failing was not overachieving a bottom 3 budget. Wilder did that and rightly got plaudits, thought if you include fees the budget was arguably around 15th.

Warnock was always competitive though. He went down with us by 1 goal. He was never cut adrift like this season.

I think it harsh above to say he relegated Notts County. He took them up 2 divisions on a shoestring. I don’t think them being relegated was anything other than expected. Look where they are now!

I always find it a bit harsh jusging Warnock on his PL level management.

How many teams did he manage that hadn’t been:
a. newly promoted after a long absence
b. with a bottom 3 budget geared towards being relegated

His failing was not overachieving a bottom 3 budget. Wilder did that and rightly got plaudits, thought if you include fees the budget was arguably around 15th.

Warnock was always competitive though. He went down with us by 1 goal. He was never cut adrift like this season.

I think it harsh above to say he relegated Notts County. He took them up 2 divisions on a shoestring. I don’t think them being relegated was anything other than expected. Look where they are now!

Not being a big fan of Warnock doesn't underestimate what he DID achieve with us. There were some exciting times, cup runs, and his willingness to attack teams. UNTIL he reached the PL. Anyone who went to Villa clearly saw his MO. We can argue about budgets and who he wanted until the cows come home but when the crunch came he bottled it. Claimed he wanted XY and/or Z and them bought "for the future". If he'd spent more time on what he was paid to do, look after football matters, rather than talking to the press about the lack of a new contract, things may have turned out differently on that last day. The green eyed mofo probably ended up costing himself money in the end.

Not being a big fan of Warnock doesn't underestimate what he DID achieve with us. There were some exciting times, cup runs, and his willingness to attack teams. UNTIL he reached the PL. Anyone who went to Villa clearly saw his MO. We can argue about budgets and who he wanted until the cows come home but when the crunch came he bottled it. Claimed he wanted XY and/or Z and them bought "for the future". If he'd spent more time on what he was paid to do, look after football matters, rather than talking to the press about the lack of a new contract, things may have turned out differently on that last day. The green eyed mofo probably ended up costing himself money in the end.
You do raise a couple of valid points. Not nearly enough is made of the 3-0 late kick off debacle vs Villa. Had both players and management come out of that with a more professional result then the Wigan game would have been a hiding to nothing for them, needing to win 3 or 4 to 1 rather than 2 to 1. Though the ref not giving a foul on Jags and only a minute later the same player inexplicably handballing were both pivotal moments.

Unfortunately his contract was in the press far too often for most fan's liking. That die was cast when he ended up courting Portsmouth. Though McCabe also has to take his fair share of flack there as that could have all been avoided had he been right with Warnock.

So I accept the marginal stuff with him. But if you give a manager a bottom 3 budget, over the course of the season, don't complain then if they finish bottom 3. It's like when Spurs were offering the 5th or 6th highest wages and Levy sacking managers when they don't finish in the top 4.

Back
Top Bottom