The Contenders

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Even by my exalted standards there is quite some negativity here ( no surprise really though)

IF things dont manage to go completely and utterly tits up* then being the manager of SUFC should still be seen as somethin to aim for, not start from. We are still going to be in the Top 20 Best Clubs To Manage next season - IM assuming of course that we do Norwich, or at least a Watford here, and not drop straight through....

* This is Sheffield United, so it will no doubt go tits up in ways we cannot yet imagine, let alone fathom....

Michael Duff is a great shout. However I think he’d be the perfect candidate had we been in the position when Wilder took over.

To give us the best possible chance of not throwing everything down the drain we need that bit extra. A ‘name’ , someone with stature etc.
ofc Duff is ex-EPL/Ireland intl... but point taken, someone with stature might help, but TBH when i hear of 'name' managers, all i think of is Robson, Adkins and Clough... just not sure that's the route we should go down right now. With a DoF sorting out the transfers, maybe we could get away with a manager with less stature?

imo we need to look at the next Wilder or Howe, not the one that's already been there and done it or gets by on clout, and Duff certainly looks like the kind of manager with a career in ascendancy - on a shoestring he turned Cheltenham from relegation fodder to playoff contenders in 1 season this season is 1st in the league... definitely reminds me of a certain someone... he also plays 5-3-2 / 5-2-1-2 / 5-2-3

Last edited:
Cowley would be an awful appointment, he likes to play proper hoof ball so it would need a complete overhaul of the squad. Only McBurnie is a Cowley type player I am afraid.
Haven’t we seen that McBurnie is definitely not suited to hoofball this season? Yes we try it but it doesn’t exactly bring out the best in him

He well may be the next messiah, but unfortunately I’m struggling to see it

How long has he been out of management? Any reason why he hasn’t returned yet or indeed why?

The thing about talking well is that it doesn’t necessarily equate to results on the pitch. I’d sooner he talked like a tit but had had 5 promotions to his name. That might get the juices flowing
Hes been Lincoln manager for 18 months

Hes been Lincoln manager for 18 months

Pack it in with the facts......

Now how about this for a thought? Not my ideal, not even in my top 10 most wanted list, but the most important thing is for us to able to maintain our ' he's one of our own' song going for another couple of years. I introduce you to............ Brian Deane.
Well at least he's got managerial experience hasn't he? :D

I really couldn’t give a fuck who gets it I have lost all interest .

Eddie Howe has signed a pre agreement. Not allowed to make it official until end of season, as he has to honour an agreement with Bournemouth which expires after 12 months.

Eddie Howe has signed a pre agreement. Not allowed to make it official until end of season, as he has to honour an agreement with Bournemouth which expires after 12 months.
Source? One of if not the best candidate for us available right now IMO 🙏

Can't see us getting him but Steve Cooper has done a great job at Swansea. Coached in Liverpool academy, England youth teams and now got Swansea playing some great stuff. He plays 3 at the back as well. Swansea could well go up and obviously if they do no chance, but if they don't could be worth and enquiry, especially if the Prince is good to his word and we keep our squad and have some money to invest. Also he got a tune out of Brewster, so that alone should put him front of the line!
He's the stand out candidate for me. As you say plays good football and could fire Brewster up. He seems to have good links with top clubs and attracted some decent players on loan like Mark Guehi the centre half from Chelsea and Hourihane from The Vile. In fact bring those 2 with him that would be a reight start to our much needed rebuild. Dont think he would come here but if you don't ask you don't get.

Interesting. Not sure why he can't sign now.. not like we're in the same league (at the moment)

Thought those kinda conditions only apply to rival teams in same league

Source? One of if not the best candidate for us available right now IMO 🙏
Hes not if tindall is hanging around! They had a big falling out and dislike each other

Hes not if tindall is hanging around! They had a big falling out and dislike each other
So did Warnock and Blackwell but they worked together again afterwards.

Don’t believe we’ll get Howe personally but I wouldn’t rule it out based on whether or not Tindall is here next season.

If I had a vote I'd go Bilic. Only negative I can see would be Burke's likely reaction.

I would be OK with Frank and would settle for Howe at a push even if he has less personality than a partly boiled potato.

I personally think both Howe and Lampard will get better offers. I'd imagine they'd both want premier league jobs, or at least big budgets to ensure they're successful. I wouldn't be unhappy with either, but it would be a risk on their part to take it. A failure that early in their careers could set them back. Following wilder is a big ask for anyone.

Out of the achievable ones, my favourite would be Bilic. He's achieved promotion before, with a worse squad than we currently have. Plays a style of football that suits us, reasonably attacking but very much committed and aggressive.
I'd say he's the safest appointment.

Normally I'd be happy to see us take a gamble on someone younger from the lower league, but with how the clubs structure is moving, I think we need someone more experienced with big clubs.

Theirry Henry. I'd like to watch him tell Billy Sharp to tuck his chair in after a press conference

Sure I saw Massimiliano Allegri outside Imrans on the Wicker the other day. Can't be certain though because he was wearing a mask.

Interesting. Not sure why he can't sign now.. not like we're in the same league (at the moment)

Thought those kinda conditions only apply to rival teams in same league

Complete guess, but might be because Bournemouth are still paying him?

Have we ever had a foreign manager before? My hunch is this will be the first. Nobody seems to have mentioned Valerien Ismael, Gerhard Struber, Vladimir Ivic etc.

Former Blade George Donis is out of work and has lots of experience in Europe as a manager.

I'm not saying I would necessarily go for any of these - apart from maybe Ismael who I like - but it does fit in with the prince's 'Blades World' strategy.

I'm moving towards Bilic of the available names mentioned thus far. He's experienced, has been successful and has that very slight hint of psychopathy behind the eyes which I think a Sheffield manager needs. Wilder had it, Bassett had it, Warnock had it too.
🤣

I've never fully understood why he gets such a visceral reaction from people really. My only objection is that he's not much cop as a manager.

He is a whinging bastard.

A chip on each shoulder.

He should have been born a Scouser really.

I don't take much interest in Scottish football, but when I heard Lennon moaning away I started to become a 100% nailed on* Ger.

* 1/2 inch panel pins, being as how you seem so interested.

Back
Top Bottom