Match Thread Sheffield United v. Aston Villa - 3rd March 2021

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That was fucking painful. Yes we threw our bodies on the line and showed heart but villa are shite and we made them look like Barcelona at times

That was fucking painful. Yes we threw our bodies on the line and showed heart but villa are shite and we made them look like Barcelona at times
Fucking hell. We win against all the odds and you couldn't enjoy that battling performance? Have you ever enjoyed a Blades win?

And it shows if you gerrit forrerd and quickly, chances there to score.
Amps Bryan Rammers Didsy, all good performances.
Got to give Norwood a mention, some decent defending in the box.

At least we've not got the record.

I'm not quite sure how we won that, but hey ho. Villa looked fairly abject and we were significantly worse. I guess we're kind of owed that after last season. No idea what the ref was doing for the red. It's not a red card tackle and (the angles weren't great) it looked as though Bryan would probably get across if El Ghazi. Villa should have scored but seemed to want to walk it in and their final ball was appalling. We offered almost nothing. But a win is a win. I don't even think that was a particularly strong defensive performance. They just crossed to heads or out of play apart from a couple of good clearances.

Ramsdale - 7 - Caught a succession of routine crosses but made sure he dominated anything in the air. Loses a point for dropping one near the end. Gains a point for a good save.
Stevens - 4 - Dreadful at times. Sloppy. Wasteful. Slow. Defensively okish., but they largely went down our right. Nothing going forward
Bryan - 8 - Gains and extra mark for the situation but he made a few very good blocks and his positioning was good. In the right place at the right time
Jags - 4 - Made a really bad error first half and the tackle was foolish really. There was cover at it certainly wasn't reckless but I don't think he knows when he makes it that there's cover there. I guess you could say it worked out for us as they could easily of scored from it. He looks his age at the moment and clearly struggling with so much game-time. I presume we'll appeal the card and win.
Ampadu - 7 - Again, extra point for the situation. Kept his head well and got a couple of good blocks in. Anticipated well as well but not strong enough for me, especially in the air.
Baldock - 4 - I thought, similarly to Stevens, was fairly woeful. At least he had a go and his shot ended up producing the goal. Offered little going forward and Targett had far too much space and time to put in cross after cross. Thankfully Targett's crossing was awful.
Fleck - 6 - First half not great. The second wasn't great. Nothing going forward and bit wasteful on the ball. Put in some good tackles second half and did well at defending the box
Norwood - 5 - Awful first half. An accident waiting to happen. Thought he'd be hooked. Second half was better. As we hardly went forward he had less space to cover and got blocks in and made a few tackles
Lundstram - 4 - Watched him closely. Messed up a two-on one as far too cautious and casual. Always looks backward. Always slows things down. Always takes an extra touch. He keeps going but you can't accuse him of busting a gut
McGoldrick - 6.5 - Scored the goal and good anticipation on his part. Apart from that, a bit mixed. He was our outpoint but didn't hold the ball up well enough, at times
Brewster - 4 - Had a shot. Won a header. Won a freekick. Did nothing else (apart from giving free kicks away)

Subs

Burke - 1 - The most abject performance as a footballer I can remember seeing from one of our players. The French commentators on the stream I was watching were pissing themselves at how shit he is. He looked like he'd never played before. Embarrassing and rightly hooked off (although he couldn't find the way off)
Osborn - 5 - Didn't see much of him but added some fresh legs
McBurnie - NA - not really on the pitch long enough

Wilder - 7 - It seemed a sensible starting line-up but we were second best from the off against a Villa team who were fairly poor. Didn't make a quick change after the sending off and it worked. We offered nothing but they hardly tested Ramsdale until right at the end.

Villa - Awful. Looked to overcomplicate everything and struggled with our defence sitting off. Without Grealish they had no one to create from the edge of the box. Looked hopeful, at best. Saying that, his the bar and missed 3 sitters. I was surprised how little they tested our defence until the last 5 minutes. Matt Targett looked like he'd just walked out of a pub.

I'm not quite sure how we won that, but hey ho. Villa looked fairly abject and we were significantly worse. I guess we're kind of owed that after last season. No idea what the ref was doing for the red. It's not a red card tackle and (the angles weren't great) it looked as though Bryan would probably get across if El Ghazi. Villa should have scored but seemed to want to walk it in and their final ball was appalling. We offered almost nothing. But a win is a win. I don't even think that was a particularly strong defensive performance. They just crossed to heads or out of play apart from a couple of good clearances.

Ramsdale - 7 - Caught a succession of routine crosses but made sure he dominated anything in the air. Loses a point for dropping one near the end. Gains a point for a good save.
Stevens - 4 - Dreadful at times. Sloppy. Wasteful. Slow. Defensively okish., but they largely went down our right. Nothing going forward
Bryan - 8 - Gains and extra mark for the situation but he made a few very good blocks and his positioning was good. In the right place at the right time
Jags - 4 - Made a really bad error first half and the tackle was foolish really. There was cover at it certainly wasn't reckless but I don't think he knows when he makes it that there's cover there. I guess you could say it worked out for us as they could easily of scored from it. He looks his age at the moment and clearly struggling with so much game-time. I presume we'll appeal the card and win.
Ampadu - 7 - Again, extra point for the situation. Kept his head well and got a couple of good blocks in. Anticipated well as well but not strong enough for me, especially in the air.
Baldock - 4 - I thought, similarly to Stevens, was fairly woeful. At least he had a go and his shot ended up producing the goal. Offered little going forward and Targett had far too much space and time to put in cross after cross. Thankfully Targett's crossing was awful.
Fleck - 6 - First half not great. The second wasn't great. Nothing going forward and bit wasteful on the ball. Put in some good tackles second half and did well at defending the box
Norwood - 5 - Awful first half. An accident waiting to happen. Thought he'd be hooked. Second half was better. As we hardly went forward he had less space to cover and got blocks in and made a few tackles
Lundstram - 4 - Watched him closely. Messed up a two-on one as far too cautious and casual. Always looks backward. Always slows things down. Always takes an extra touch. He keeps going but you can't accuse him of busting a gut
McGoldrick - 6.5 - Scored the goal and good anticipation on his part. Apart from that, a bit mixed. He was our outpoint but didn't hold the ball up well enough, at times
Brewster - 4 - Had a shot. Won a header. Won a freekick. Did nothing else (apart from giving free kicks away)

Subs

Burke - 1 - The most abject performance as a footballer I can remember seeing from one of our players. The French commentators on the stream I was watching were pissing themselves at how shit he is. He looked like he'd never played before. Embarrassing and rightly hooked off (although he couldn't find the way off)

Wilder - 7 - It seemed a sensible starting line-up but we were second best from the off against a Villa team who were fairly poor. Didn't make a quick change after the sending off and it worked. We offered nothing but they hardly tested Ramsdale until right at the end.

Villa - Awful. Looked to overcomplicate everything and struggled with our defence sitting off. Without Grealish they had no one to create from the edge of the box. Looked hopeful, at best. Saying that, his the bar and missed 3 sitters. I was surprised how little they tested our defence until the last 5 minutes. Matt Targett looked like he'd just walked out of a pub.
With some of those ratings I am not sure you have watched the game

Didn't watch it as can't do tv games with no crowd.

In a sentence how did we do?

Great to win, particularly as I live in a Villa hotbed area.

Well done Blades

Thought they all did their jobs tonight, although disappointed with Burke tonight. Comes on for half hour and I expect him to run his blood to water but didn’t see it. Looked like a pissed off half hearted player that doesn’t want to be here

Subs

Typical of you to give Wilder joint 2nd highest rating. Can your head be any higher up his arse?? To where we were to come out and show the commitment and passion that we did. Ur ratings are disgusting lad.

Fucking hell. We win against all the odds and you couldn't enjoy that battling performance? Have you ever enjoyed a Blades win?trust me
Only my opinion, yes the last 20 mins we defended with our lives but on the whole 90 minutes we were poor. We are seriously lacking creativity, Mings looked like Franz Beckenbauer against our ‘strikers’
Trust me, I wear the rosiest of rose tinted glasses
Fucking hell. We win against all the odds and you couldn't enjoy that battling performance? Have you ever enjoyed a Blades win?
trust me, I wear the rosiest of rose tinted glasses and am as Bladey as they come. That was, once again a negative, insipid performance, wholly lacking in creativity.
I am a huge Wilder fan, I don’t want him to leave, I still harbour faint hopes of survival. I also understand that we are depleted.
We have been crying out for a ball winner and a creative player for a year. Lundstram passes backward and sideways, Norwood for all his passing ability never, ever splits the opposing defence. Maybe due to to woeful lack of movement from our strikers.
Didzy was our sole attacking threat today and we were fortunate that villa were abject in the final third.
Yes we grafted, yes we threw bodies on the line and showed heart and desire. We also dropped deeper and deeper once we had scored.

Trust me, I wear the rosiest of rose tinted glasses

trust me, I wear the rosiest of rose tinted glasses and am as Bladey as they come. That was, once again a negative, insipid performance, wholly lacking in creativity.
I am a huge Wilder fan, I don’t want him to leave, I still harbour faint hopes of survival. I also understand that we are depleted.
We have been crying out for a ball winner and a creative player for a year. Lundstram passes backward and sideways, Norwood for all his passing ability never, ever splits the opposing defence. Maybe due to to woeful lack of movement from our strikers.
Didzy was our sole attacking threat today and we were fortunate that villa were abject in the final third.
Yes we grafted, yes we threw bodies on the line and showed heart and desire. We also dropped deeper and deeper once we had scored.
If thats a rose tinted glasses view, bet your guide dog is actually a Yorkshire Terrier and you stick is some plastic ducting.

Back
Top Bottom