My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Firstly, can I just say I have picked up a fair few infarctions thanks to the trolling, targeted, personal abuse and non sequitur slavver I have taken regarding 'My take ... ' from posters various.

I get Foxy and Lindz's judgements and accept them. So for now, if you have a fragile, easily-hurt ego which is projected onto a football team you simply support, if you are one of those for whom an eight nil dicking to Crawley at BDTBL is summat to clap the players off and anyone who doesn't is a pigfan or if you are a current squad member thinking you're incognito on here and missing the heady feeling of being booed off in front of 30k Blades fans then please, stop now. Scroll past. This isn't for you. And finally, I am not your problem. Sheffield United and the football they play is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, having said that, I think tonight United played a damned sight better than they have recently. They lost two nil, but aside from the goals Liverpool scored - one from a contentious (but correct) ball/out decision and us switching off and the other from a fortunate kick off the sole of Bryan's boot past Ramsdale - our performance was encouraging for most of the game. Three formation switches - two good and one bad - and we were beaten again for the 21st time out of 26 games this season.

As much as we lament the fates of Jack, John and Chris as our 'pistons' (remember that term? I thought it was shit, too) I think tonight's predictable staring line up did pretty well. Jags is Jags isn't he? He hasn't spent a decade in the PL for fuck all and served his country either, although Balotelli was the dark lord of the sith to cut him down and remind him who he was in a white shirt. We were dreading Ampadu and Bryan either side of him but to be honest I don't think they did that bad considering it was once the most feared front three the PL could muster. Yeah, it looked distinctly 'Championship', but I have just seen Wilder on telly telling us he 'bought the best from the Championship' hoping to survive in the Premiership. So that's okay then.

It's 5-3-2 now (or 3-5-2 as he draws it on the team sheet, hoping to kid us we are up for this and not simply defending until they eventually score) until relegation and beyond I think because that is what is drawn on the teamsheet slip so he fills it in. It's beatable, it's flawed, but what the fuck? We're down, dammit.

So tonight however the emphasis was exploiting Liverpools highlighted weaknesses, and thankfully that didn't involve protracted periods of Wilderball. And guess what? He almost pulled it off. We actually went into battle in the areas that mattered, and utilising assets e have. For 45 minutes we looked slightly capable, if not likely to shock Liverpool into a response, like a beakerful of crushed ice and curry sauce down your arsecrack. The bindippers have been shipping goals and leaking confidence since whenever and are seriously not the freeflowing, Brazil-lite outfit they were last season. Klopp has stopped smiling like Bingo out of the Banana Splits and now he is under pressure and needing wins, even to secure a spot in the Johnstones Europa League. Put simply, he can't afford to not lift silverware or gain qualification kudos this season so beating our sorry shower of bastards was essential, as was getting one over on that cheeky spud faced fucker Wilder. Losing tonight might have got him sacked, in fact.

In fairness and honesty, I thought the first 45 were pretty bloody good. Before the game my Shiregreen and Whirlow Blades buddies exchanged texts of despair at the team sheet expecting Liverpool to be three up by 25 minutes in. I texted back at 35 saying 'Am I watching the right match here?' Okay, Ramsdale was playing out of his skin (another text I sent) and we forced them to work hard and think about who they were playing instead of switching to AUTO/BEAT OPPOSITION mode, and Liverpool actually looked rattled. We even had the fucking temerity to steer some efforts on goal, gawd-dammit. But like FIFA21, the longer you don't score, the easier it is for your opponent to work you out. It took them fifty minutes to do that and in fairness you can understand the players thinking it was out, but it fucking well wasn't.

As ever though, Wilder decides to change things and does and correctly puts pace and doggedness on in Burke and Osborn for the urbane cool and death's door or Didsy and Jags. How strange how we suddenly looked more capable with four in midfield, huh? Less outnumbered, more time on the ball and more bite to tackle than desperate, outnumbered falling back. Even the back four looked okay if fragile when Firmino broke through (I think Jags would have been in on him TBH)

Then its another switch to 4-3-3 and we effectively lose all potency. It wasn't a good choice and Liverpool simply game managed the last 20 minutes, knowing full well that no matter what chance we offered up, McGoldrick wasn't on the pitch so they were under no danger at all.

Ramsdale 8.5/10: Some pretty excellent saves, which stopped us going in at half time -0-4. Tonight he was on level with his predecessor and looked impressively brave and agile. Very pleased.
Baldock 7/10: Good outing from Furious. Worked well against the threat from Mane and looked just as capable and athletic working with Lundstram and Norwood in a 4-4-2
Ampadu 8/10; Thought he had a great game and is on for next season to acquire, if he choses to stay. Put himself about and showed pleasing control and confidence at times
Jagielka 7/10: He huffs and he puffs and he's 61 next week. But his experience shows.
Bryan 6.5/10: A lot better from him. He looks to be growing into the role. He is not Jack and never will be, but recently he is confounding his early critics
Stevens 5/10: Our weakest player TBH. At times his control was piss poor, but in his defence, he did keep Salah relatively quiet
Lundstram 5.5/10: A much better game if no where near perfect. Tonight he got himself more involved if was sloppy and lacked that special touch needed to be effective at times. Another Wolves style mistimed tackle from him that left Alwxander Arnold in
Norwood (watch this) 7.5/10: Thought he had a much, much better game. Got stuck in, won the ball (a lot), limited the ping until it was needed and his crossing was pretty nad-on. This is what we expect from him.
Fleck 7.5/10: Another revelation, if fading during the last twenty when Wilder went 4-3-3 when he was outnumbered again in the middle. John played tonight. Jimmy will be back next game.
McBurnie 7/10: For a change, I expected the ball to be pumped long onto his had and typically fall to a light blue shirt. He did put himself out and about a lot and won loads of headers and many of them finding a striped shirt for a change. But there was no pub football tonight. I thought he played very well and grafted, if as with Fleck, faded during the last twenty. Maybe he's been reading this board, but there was less shithousery, and far more of what he can do on display, even if the header was fifty peed (the cross dropped behind his marker and he did have time to chest and kick, possibly)
McGoldrick 6.5/10: Welcome to the Footballing World of David McGoldrick. Everything in the Footballing World of David McGoldrick moves at half speed, but fear not, you, as a defender move at half speed too if you are marking him because that ball that is coming at you awkwardly is suddenly and miraculously brought under control and he's laying it off (you are still moving at half speed) and he is past you, or he is in front of you, or he has beaten you to that ball. But he's older than Jags. As soon as he is in possession, his direction and vision is way above what it should be. He is simply our best player.

Burke 5/10: Usual Billy Whizz stuff with no end product. Banging it across the goal when you've done all the hard work beating your player is a bit bollocks, isn't it? He's fast, but he can't score.
Osborn 6.5/10: Good effort and we did look more capable with him on the pitch, even though he isn't PL standard in honesty
Sharp 2/10: Not a mark that reflects his performance more that he didn't really get into the game at 4-3-3

Okay, we're beaten again and it's difficult to see where we will actually beat the 11 point hoodoo, but can anyone honestly say that if we'd have approached last week's game like we did tonight we'd have lost? Why does it take a big name like Man U and Liverpool to get the best of our worst this season?

pommpey

last

pommpey

• Banned
Firstly, can I just say I have picked up a fair few infarctions thanks to the trolling, targeted, personal abuse and non sequitur slavver I have taken regarding 'My take ... ' from posters various.

I get Foxy and Lindz's judgements and accept them. So for now, if you have a fragile, easily-hurt ego which is projected onto a football team you simply support, if you are one of those for whom an eight nil dicking to Crawley at BDTBL is summat to clap the players off and anyone who doesn't is a pigfan or if you are a current squad member thinking you're incognito on here and missing the heady feeling of being booed off in front of 30k Blades fans then please, stop now. Scroll past. This isn't for you. And finally, I am not your problem. Sheffield United and the football they play is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having said that, I think tonight United played a damned sight better than they have recently. They lost two nil, but aside from the goals Liverpool scored - one from a contentious (but correct) ball/out decision and us switching off and the other from a fortunate kick off the sole of Bryan's boot past Ramsdale - our performance was encouraging for most of the game. Three formation switches - two good and one bad - and we were beaten again for the 21st time out of 26 games this season.

As much as we lament the fates of Jack, John and Chris as our 'pistons' (remember that term? I thought it was shit, too) I think tonight's predictable staring line up did pretty well. Jags is Jags isn't he? He hasn't spent a decade in the PL for fuck all and served his country either, although Balotelli was the dark lord of the sith to cut him down and remind him who he was in a white shirt. We were dreading Ampadu and Bryan either side of him but to be honest I don't think they did that bad considering it was once the most feared front three the PL could muster. Yeah, it looked distinctly 'Championship', but I have just seen Wilder on telly telling us he 'bought the best from the Championship' hoping to survive in the Premiership. So that's okay then.

It's 5-3-2 now (or 3-5-2 as he draws it on the team sheet, hoping to kid us we are up for this and not simply defending until they eventually score) until relegation and beyond I think because that is what is drawn on the teamsheet slip so he fills it in. It's beatable, it's flawed, but what the fuck? We're down, dammit.

So tonight however the emphasis was exploiting Liverpools highlighted weaknesses, and that didn't involve protracted period of Wilderball. And guess what? He almost pulled it off. We actually went into battle in the areas that mattered, and utilising assets e have. For 45 minutes we looked slightly capable, if not likely to shock Liverpool into a response, like a beakerful of crushed ice and curry sauce down your arsecrack. The bindippers have been shipping goals and leaking confidence since whenever and are seriously not the freeflowing, Brazil-lite outfit they were last season. Klopp has stopped smiling like Bingo out of the Banana Splits and now he is under pressure and needing wins, even to secure a spot in the Johnstones Europa League. Put simply, he can't afford to not lift silverware or gain qualification kudos this season so beating our sorry shower of bastards was essential, as was getting one over on that cheeky spud faced fucker Wilder. Losing tonight might have got him sacked, in fact.

In fairness and honesty, I thought the first 45 were pretty bloody good. Before the game my Shiregreen and Whirlow Blades buddies exchanged texts of despair at the team sheet expecting Liverpool to be three up by 25 minutes in. I texted back at 35 saying 'Am I watching the right match here?' Okay, Ramsdale was playing out of his skin (another text I sent) and we forced them to work hard and think about who they were playing instead of switching to AUTO/BEAT OPPOSITION mode, and Liverpool actually looked rattled. We even had the fucking temerity to steer some efforts on goal, gawd-dammit. But like FIFA21, the longer you don't score, the easier it is for your opponent to work you out. It took them fifty minutes to do that and in fairness you can understand the players thinking it was out, but it fucking well wasn't.

As ever though, Wilder decides to change things and does and correctly puts pace and doggedness on in Burke and Osborn for the urbane cool and death's door or Didsy and Jags. How strange how we suddenly looked more capable with four in midfield, huh? Less outnumbered, more time on the ball and more bite to tackle than desperate, outnumbered falling back. Even the back four looked okay if fragile when Firmino broke through (I think Jags would have been in on him TBH)

Then its another switch to 4-3-3 and we effectively lose all potency. It wasn't a good choice and Liverpool simply game managed the last 20 minutes, knowing full well that no matter what chance we offered up, McGoldrick wasn't on the pitch so they were under no danger at all.

Ramsdale 8.5/10: Some pretty excellent saves, which stopped us going in at half time -0-4. Tonight he was on level with his predecessor and looked impressively brave and agile. Very pleased.
Baldock 7/10: Good outing from Furious. Worked well against the threat from Mane and looked just as capable and athletic working with Lundstram and Norwood in a 4-4-2
Ampadu 8/10; Thought he had a great game and is on for next season to acquire, if he choses to stay. Put himself about and showed pleasing control and confidence at times
Jagielka 7/10: He huffs and he puffs and he's 61 next week. But his experience shows.
Bryan 6.5/10: A lot better from him. He looks to be growing into the role. He is not Jack and never will be, but recently he is confounding his early critics
Stevens 5/10: Our weakest player TBH. At times his control was piss poor, but in his defence, he did keep Salah relatively quiet
Lundstram 5.5/10: A much better game if no where near perfect. Tonight he got himself more involved if was sloppy and lacked that special touch needed to be effective at times. Another Wolves style mistimed tackle from him that left Alwxander Arnold in
Norwood (watch this) 7.5/10: Thought he had a much, much better game. Got stuck in, won the ball (a lot), limited the ping until it was needed and his crossing was pretty nad-on. This is what we expect from him.
Fleck 7.5/10: Another revelation, if fading during the last twenty when Wilder went 4-3-3 when he was outnumbered again in the middle. John played tonight. Jimmy will be back next game.
McBurnie 7/10: For a change, I expected the ball to be pumped long onto his had and typically fall to a light blue shirt. He did put himself out and about a lot and won loads of headers and many of them finding a striped shirt for a change. But there was no pub football tonight. I thought he played very well and grafted, if as with Fleck, faded during the last twenty. Maybe he's been reading this board, but there was less shithousery, and far more of what he can do on display, even if the header was fifty peed (the cross dropped behind his marker and he did have time to chest and kick, possibly)
McGoldrick 6.5/10: Welcome to the Footballing World of David McGoldrick. Everything in the Footballing World of David McGoldrick moves at half speed, but fear not, you, as a defender move at half speed too if you are marking him because that ball that is coming at you awkwardly is suddenly and miraculously brought under control and he's laying it off (you are still moving at half speed) and he is past you, or he is in front of you, or he has beaten you to that ball. But he's older than Jags. As soon as he is in possession, his direction and vision is way above what it should be. He is simply our best player.

Burke 5/10: Usual Billy Whizz stuff with no end product. Banging it across the goal when you've done all the hard work beating your player is a bit bollocks, isn't it? He's fast, but he can't score.
Osborn 6.5/10: Good effort and we did look more capable with him on the pitch, even though he isn't PL standard in honesty
Sharp 2/10: Not a mark that reflects his performance more that he didn't really get into the game at 4-3-3

Okay, we're beaten again and it's difficult to see where we will actually beat the 11 point hoodoo, but can anyone honestly say that if we'd have approached last week's game like we did tonight we'd have lost? Why does it take a big name like Man U and Liverpool to get the best of our worst this season?

pommpey

last

pommpey
last

pommpey

• Banned
No, you've picked up infractions for being abusive.
In fairness, in response to some protracted trolling.

I have asked nicely for people to ignore, scroll past or stop with the personal stuff.

Having that stuff fired at you isn't nice, and I believe not what you have this forum for.

pommpey

I have asked nicely for people to ignore, scroll past or stop with the personal stuff.

Having that stuff fired at you isn't nice, and I believe not what you have this forum for.

pommpey

Your first line is correct, but not in the context you mean it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, having said that, I think tonight United played a damned sight better than they have recently. They lost two nil, but aside from the goals Liverpool scored - one from a contentious (but correct) ball/out decision and us switching off and the other from a fortunate kick off the sole of Bryan's boot past Ramsdale - our performance was encouraging for most of the game. Three formation switches - two good and one bad - and we were beaten again for the 21st time out of 26 games this season.

So tonight however the emphasis was exploiting Liverpools highlighted weaknesses, and thankfully that didn't involve protracted periods of Wilderball. And guess what? He almost pulled it off. We actually went into battle in the areas that mattered, and utilising assets e have. For 45 minutes we looked slightly capable, if not likely to shock Liverpool into a response, like a beakerful of crushed ice and curry sauce down your arsecrack. The bindippers have been shipping goals and leaking confidence since whenever and are seriously not the freeflowing, Brazil-lite outfit they were last season. Klopp has stopped smiling like Bingo out of the Banana Splits and now he is under pressure and needing wins, even to secure a spot in the Johnstones Europa League. Put simply, he can't afford to not lift silverware or gain qualification kudos this season so beating our sorry shower of bastards was essential, as was getting one over on that cheeky spud faced fucker Wilder. Losing tonight might have got him sacked, in fact.

pommpey

last

pommpey

Bloody hell, did you get laid last night or win the lottery?! 🧐🤥😉

Your first line is correct, but not in the context you mean it.

I think many know what I mean. Take me on on the game, the football, what I saw, what my take is, not what I am, what I represent or who I am. In the end it is frustrating and pointless. I am not expecting people to agree with me, hit the like button or even find what I say amusing, entertaining or correct even.

Like I say, I take the infractions. Hopefully there won't be any shithousery on this or subsequent threads. I avoid those who disagree with me and hope they'll do the same unless they can join an adult footballing debate and not think I am burning Bramall Lane down or killing Wilder with every 'My take ...'

pommpey

Well....

I think some of the marks are a bit high.. especially for the defence and my personal hero Lunny

So my take..

Ramsdale 8 (The relief over the last 2 months that he should be a safe top end Championship keeper next season is huge)

Stevens 3 (been a great servant but he’s done)
Ampadu 4 (too weak and some kamikaze passing)
Jags 6
Bryan 5
Baldock 5

Fleck 5
Lunny 2 (please.. John.. just pack it in and leave)
Norwood 7 (still think he has a big role next season)

Mcburnie 3 (sigh.... SteveM was right)
McGoldrick 6

Subs
Burke 6
Osbourne 5
Sharp 3 (although game was gone by the time he came on)

Wilder 4.

pommpey
Mate if your not part of the clique you’ll have to put up with it. Shame really but it’s great you’ve upset a few on here.

I turned it off on 65 mins. First time in my life I’ve done it but I just couldn’t take any more.
I’m not saying we should be beating Liverpool it’s just the mistakes we make and our poor play. I really hope next season we really go for it in the Championship.

pommpey

last

pommpey
Not sure if it's the trolls/abuse you been getting pommpey but i miss the more light hearted humorous takes..

Mate if your not part of the clique you’ll have to put up with it. Shame really but it’s great you’ve upset a few on here.

Trolling and personal abuse is the same across the board, funnily enough, 'My take ...' seems to be a fairly wide ranging infraction generator so far.

Trolling and personal abuse is the same across the board, funnily enough, 'My take ...' seems to be a fairly wide ranging infraction generator so far.
The trouble is, because you don't have many active moderators on here, the 'flash-to-bang' response is slow.

It's taken several days for me to rack up the latest set, this after the debate had (despite me trying to stop it) gone from the game, to personal shots at me.

Do you expect me to just take that?

pommpey

The trouble is, because you don't have many active moderators on here, the 'flash-to-bang' response is slow.

It's taken several days for me to rack up the latest set, this after the debate had (despite me trying to stop it) gone from the game, to personal shots at me.

pommpey

I'd think after a long history of being knowingly incendiary in your style, and multiple bans for personal abuse, you might have taken the option to report a post if a personal shot, rather than jumping straight into abuse.

People resorting to personal abuse get infractions.

pommpey
I think we all know what we gonna get when we read pommpey 'My Take' and for him to have to tame it down when no-ones forcing anyone to read it... Well that seems like BS to me.

I don't know if you have to turn comments off or put a 'not safe for sensitive eyes' tag on these threads Foxy but it just seems sad that it has come to Pomps having to put out something half hearted now because of all this.

I'd think after a long history of being knowingly incendiary in your style, and multiple bans for personal abuse, you might have taken the option to report a post if a personal shot, rather than jumping straight into abuse.

People resorting to personal abuse get infractions.

And I have. And you know I have.

It's taken some time to get some response, however.

As you've seen, the board can move pretty fast, especially when the wagons are circling and the arrows firing.

If you (as in 'you') want me to stop 'My take ... ' for the sake of a few who can't play nice in the sand pit, then I'll stop. My style is only incendiary against the game and the players. Some on here can't differentiate what an actual target actually looks like and channel their anguish into constructive debate. But if it is causing too much agony and is provocative to some fans sensitivities, then it may be time to call it a day.

pommpey

I think we all know what we gonna get when we read @pommpey 'My Take' and for him to have to tame it down when no-ones forcing anyone to read it... Well that seems like BS to me.

I don't know if you have to turn comments off or put a 'not safe for sensitive eyes' tag on these threads @Foxy but it just seems sad that it has come to Pomps having to put out something half hearted now because of all this.

And I have. And you know I have.

It's taken some time to get some response, however.

As you've seen, the board can move pretty fast, especially when the wagons are circling and the arrows firing.

If you (as in 'you') want me to stop 'My take ... ' for the sake of a few who can't play nice in the sand pit, then I'll stop. My style is only incendiary against the game and the players. Some on here can't differentiate what an actual target actually looks like and channel their anguish into constructive debate. But if it is causing too much agony and is provocative to some fans sensitivities, then it may be time to call it a day.

pommpey

Received infractions for personal abuse for:
  • Calling someone a 'fucking petulant dick'
  • Calling someone a 'cunt', telling them to fuck off and 'play with the turds in your nappy'
Now I've summarised it, I've just seen the error of my ways.

As you were, apologies that, after several days of disinterest, I made such a glaring mistake.

Received infractions for personal abuse for:
  • Calling someone a 'fucking petulant dick'
  • Calling someone a 'cunt', telling them to fuck off and 'play with the turds in your nappy'
Now I've summarised it, I've just seen the error of my ways.

As you were, apologies that, after several days of disinterest, I made such a glaring mistake.
After protracted trolling.

As said, you expect me to take this, even in my own thread, which is about the last football match?

Okay, I'll report everything which is provocative and unsavoury. Let's not lose sight of what the root cause of my reactions are.

pommpey

To be honest I think Liverpool (like us) are a shadow of last season's team and I don't take much comfort from holding them for the first half because you knew we would concede and, come next season in the champonship, I cannot see the current system/players setting the division on fire. The football we are playing is ugly without being particulalrly effective. It is depressing. I'm still not convinved the first goal should have stood though after seeing this photo ( I don't know if it has been photoshopped). That ball looks out to me, but its VAR that matters. 1614559252029.png

To be honest I think Liverpool (like us) are a shadow of last season's team and I don't take much comfort from holding them for the first half because you knew we would concede and, come next season in the champonship, I cannot see the current system/players setting the division on fire. The football we are playing is ugly without being particulalrly effective. It is depressing. I'm still not convinved the first goal should have stood though after seeing this photo ( I don't know if it has been photoshopped). That ball looks out to me, but its VAR that matters. View attachment 106745
The ball was definitely still in... the higher the ball is in the air from that angle the more it will look like it was out of play.

Back
Top Bottom