My take ...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

pommpey

THE FUTURE ... AS IT USED TO BE
Reaction score
Blimey. I am a fucking nervous wreck after that. I wanted us to run out consummate winners, with all players once again coming up in the high out of tens, just because ... well, because we'd deserve it, maybe. I wanted it to be a mauling for fat Sam's lot, for us to have maybe four, five goals in the bag and Wilder to put the kids on to run about. We all wanted the win because of what it meant to us the supporters and the club and it's players. How they went about it and got that though was typically United, wasn't it? Some bloke once said 'If we're gonna do it, we'll do it the hard way, eh?' and some other bloke sampled him saying it and stuck it over the instrumental bit of a crappy, stylised cover version of a Beatles song once. And tonight, we did just that. You can't beat a mucky victory, one where it never looks like you're gonna score but it manages to end up in the net after you have slung everything at them. I have always said if you give Billy Sharp not even half a chance ... possibly a quarter of one and it has half a foot of space attached to it, it will be the most fatal mistake you'll make. That goal was the biggest 'Sit down, Brewster' message ever, and one to show the young lad that 'this is what being a centre forward is'. Brewster, take note. Billy has another year or two in him yet.

We also look a shade better at the back, provided we aren't pressured like the break that led to their goal. Quite aside from Ramsdale's E minus 'save' onto the feet of the WBA attacker, the defence just looked static when the threat was evident. Ramsdale didn't have much to do all game in fact and should have done better with that save, but showed remarkable reflexes to palm away that close range effort, even if it was offside (it's a bit like celebrating a wank, my mate said of it when I opined it was a cracking stop)

Shame to lose Furious and I hope he recovers quick because Lowe's first touch was abysmal. His crossing is helmet-cheese also. The midfield still worries me somewhat. I looked into it in the first half when we were playing heaps of Wilderball down on this left flank and there was a fucking great big hole in the middle where a square ball should find Norwood in space to advance on goal or lay in the two strikers. But he is pinned at the back playing stand in Centre Back waiting for the advance to come all the way back to him and across. It was trying to get it down the flank via Billy that led to us losing the ball, and their goal (I think). Yeah, we have 70% possession, but making use of that is the key and fat Sam had that first half all sewn up. Mop us up and hit us on the break. Second half we still tried it and then CW adjusted it and we started to make more use of space, at first to no avail, but the chances mounted up - you just knew we'd score. Good to see that we didn't contract either and went for the second. As said, a deserved, hard fought three points. Maybe we might get something out of the Chelsea game ... I have my fingers crossed.

Ramsdale 5/10: I have to give him that. Came and collected well in the first bit of the first half, but fucking hell ... palming it out like he did was seriously non-league goalkeeping and unforgivable. And second half some of his punches were iffy as fuck and could have gone anywhere. Top save close in, but that was a 'numbers game' stop, and offside anyway.
Baldock 6/10: Usual Furious stuff from George. Odd to see him in an advanced position over in the opposite midfield area at times. He did give the ball away cheaply once as well. His injury looks worrying - he's not the sort to call in sick, is he? Looked like he was hobbling a bit in the first half too.
Basham 9/10: Drops a point because he too was guilty of a stray ball or two, but face it, Bash's back. He has such a nuanced eye for how the game is played and the art of the possible. Lovely touch on the ball and a measured cross into danger for our second. Love this bloke. He is a Bookeresque legend in red and white. Great performance today, and his heading has improved too.
Egan 7/10: Sound, solidity at the back and now looking like he and Ampadu have some sort of understanding between them. He is less worried who is playing on his left now and it shows
Ampadu 7.5/10: Thought he looked a lot more composed than he has in the recent past and strange, one of our long range cracks on target comes from - our LCB.
Bogle 7.5/10: Really improving in his unfamiliar LWB position and obviously better in his RWB. I still think he is a potential right winger in a four man midfield. Took his goal exceptionally well and is a sneaky menace in the box, much like Kieron Freeman used to be
Lundstram 6/10: Acceptable workmanlike performance and did what it says on the wrapper. Looks like we are stuck with him
Norwood 6/10: First half was quite involved and his two consecutive corners were the best I have seen him put in since Wolves at home last year. But that free kick was one of those stubborn, Chappie-smelling, mahogany coloured, dog turds, which highly-annoying, yappy Jack Russells push out of their rear-ends with a tremble and whimper. And that aggressive, 'wipe-your-paws-on-the-grass' manoeuvre they fucking do, post dump. Second half I didn't see much of him TBH (cue: 'You fucking kidding? He was all over the pitch like Muhammad Ali's autograph!")
Fleck 6.5/10: Sorry for dropping him a couple of marks here. Although he dug out and got stuck in generally, he did give the ball away a lot tonight with sloppy passes. I hope Jimmy Fleck isn't coming back.
McGoldrick 8/10: Again - he's the solution to every ball knocked long or loose in the fray. He captures the ball, runs with it, passes effectively and pulls the operational end of Sheffield United together like a Sergeant in the battlefield. You can see that even for advancing age and lack of speed, oppositions fear his guile and footballing prowess.
Sharp 7.5/10: Good old Billy Sharp. For much of the game he was feeding off scraps and half chances. Odds are then are that if you give him enough of them, he'll punish you for it. His ability to just stick a toe onto a loose ball and it ends up in the net is uncanny, but he's built an entire career on it.

Lowe 5.5/10: His first touch was a pass to them but he slowly came into the game, even if he Kozluked a cross into the kop
McPub 4/10: Typically Pubby McPub for much of his attacking ventures. Clumsy and wasteful, much better as a defender where I'd say he's as good as anything we have back there.
Burke Unmarked: Wanted him to score
Brewster: Poor kid. Get dressed, son.

Wilder 10/10: Well done feller.

So, we are on a run now, or sorts and tucked up behind West Brom with the possibility of overhauling them if fat Sam can't turn things round for the Bogies. He does look in trouble, as his team is essentially as weak as nun's piss, with no sign of improvement. We'll be down with them next season but I can't envision any PL team coming in and raiding their pantry either. For us however, it may be a different story, losing Berge, Egan, O'Connell ... possibly Baldock and maybe Norwood to Hallamshire Celtic, Brunsmeer Juniors or Throstles. Ramsdale will end up pricing up on biscuits and crisps in Asdas near Millhouses, Moussett upside down in a tree on the Woodhead pass (still in his car) and Brewster sat at home on his X Box, his mum having forgot to tell him that bloke Chris phoned him last week asking where the fuck he was.

pommpey

• Banned
Blimey. I am a fucking nervous wreck after that. I wanted us to run out consummate winners, with all players once again coming up in the high out of tens, just because ... well, because we'd deserve it, maybe. I wanted it to be a mauling for fat Sam's lot, for us to have maybe four, five goals in the bag and Wilder to put the kids on to run about. We all wanted the win because of what it meant to us the supporters and the club and it's players. How they went about it and got that though was typically United, wasn't it? Some bloke once said 'If we're gonna do it, we'll do it the hard way, eh?' and some other bloke sampled him saying it and stuck it over the instrumental bit of a crappy, stylised cover version of a Beatles song once. And tonight, we did just that. You can't beat a mucky victory, one where it never looks like you're gonna score but it manages to end up in the net after you have slung everything at them. I have always said if you give Billy Sharp not even half a chance ... possibly a quarter of one and it has half a foot of space attached to it, it will be the most fatal mistake you'll make. That goal was the biggest 'Sit down, Brewster' message ever, and one to show the young lad that 'this is what being a centre forward is'. Brewster, take note. Billy has another year or two in him yet.

We also look a shade better at the back, provided we aren't pressured like the break that led to their goal. Quite aside from Ramsdale's E minus 'save' onto the feet of the WBA attacker, the defence just looked static when the threat was evident. Ramsdale didn't have much to do all game in fact and should have done better with that save, but showed remarkable reflexes to palm away that close range effort, even if it was offside (it's a bit like celebrating a wank, my mate said of it when I opined it was a cracking stop)

Shame to lose Furious and I hope he recovers quick because Lowe's first touch was abysmal. His crossing is helmet-cheese also. The midfield still worries me somewhat. I looked into it in the first half when we were playing heaps of Wilderball down on this left flank and there was a fucking great big hole in the middle where a square ball should find Norwood in space to advance on goal or lay in the two strikers. But he is pinned at the back playing stand in Centre Back waiting for the advance to come all the way back to him and across. It was trying to get it down the flank via Billy that led to us losing the ball, and their goal (I think). Yeah, we have 70% possession, but making use of that is the key and fat Sam had that first half all sewn up. Mop us up and hit us on the break. Second half we still tried it and then CW adjusted it and we started to make more use of space, at first to no avail, but the chances mounted up - you just knew we'd score. Good to see that we didn't contract either and went for the second. As said, a deserved, hard fought three points. Maybe we might get something out of the Chelsea game ... I have my fingers crossed.

Ramsdale 5/10: I have to give him that. Came and collected well in the first bit of the first half, but fucking hell ... palming it out like he did was seriously non-league goalkeeping and unforgivable. And second half some of his punches were iffy as fuck and could have gone anywhere. Top save close in, but that was a 'numbers game' stop, and offside anyway.
Baldock 6/10: Usual Furious stuff from George. Odd to see him in an advanced position over in the opposite midfield area at times. He did give the ball away cheaply once as well. His injury looks worrying - he's not the sort to call in sick, is he? Looked like he was hobbling a bit in the first half too.
Basham 9/10: Drops a point because he too was guilty of a stray ball or two, but face it, Bash's back. He has such a nuanced eye for how the game is played and the art of the possible. Lovely touch on the ball and a measured cross into danger for our second. Love this bloke. He is a Bookeresque legend in red and white. Great performance today, and his heading has improved too.
Egan 7/10: Sound, solidity at the back and now looking like he and Ampadu have some sort of understanding between them. He is less worried who is playing on his left now and it shows
Ampadu 7.5/10: Thought he looked a lot more composed than he has in the recent past and strange, one of our long range cracks on target comes from - our LCB.
Bogle 7.5/10: Really improving in his unfamiliar LWB position and obviously better in his RWB. I still think he is a potential right winger in a four man midfield. Took his goal exceptionally well and is a sneaky menace in the box, much like Kieron Freeman used to be
Lundstram 6/10: Acceptable workmanlike performance and did what it says on the wrapper. Looks like we are stuck with him
Norwood 6/10: First half was quite involved and his two consecutive corners were the best I have seen him put in since Wolves at home last year. But that free kick was one of those stubborn, Chappie-smelling, mahogany coloured, dog turds, which highly-annoying, yappy Jack Russells push out of their rear-ends with a tremble and whimper. And that aggressive, 'wipe-your-paws-on-the-grass' manoeuvre they fucking do, post dump. Second half I didn't see much of him TBH (cue: 'You fucking kidding? He was all over the pitch like Muhammad Ali's autograph!")
Fleck 6.5/10: Sorry for dropping him a couple of marks here. Although he dug out and got stuck in generally, he did give the ball away a lot tonight with sloppy passes. I hope Jimmy Fleck isn't coming back.
McGoldrick 8/10: Again - he's the solution to every ball knocked long or loose in the fray. He captures the ball, runs with it, passes effectively and pulls the operational end of Sheffield United together like a Sergeant in the battlefield. You can see that even for advancing age and lack of speed, oppositions fear his guile and footballing prowess.
Sharp 7.5/10: Good old Billy Sharp. For much of the game he was feeding off scraps and half chances. Odds are then are that if you give him enough of them, he'll punish you for it. His ability to just stick a toe onto a loose ball and it ends up in the net is uncanny, but he's built an entire career on it.

Lowe 5.5/10: His first touch was a pass to them but he slowly came into the game, even if he Kozluked a cross into the kop
McPub 4/10: Typically Pubby McPub for much of his attacking ventures. Clumsy and wasteful, much better as a defender where I'd say he's as good as anything we have back there.

So, we are on a run now, or sorts and tucked up behind West Brom with the possibility of overhauling them if fat Sam can't turn things round for the Bogies. He does look in trouble, as his team is essentially as weak as nun's piss, with no sign of improvement. We'll be down with them next season but I can't envision any PL team coming in and raiding their pantry either. For us however, it may be a different story, losing Berge, Egan, O'Connell ... possibly Baldock and maybe Norwood to Hallamshire Celtic, Brunsmeer Juniors or Throstles. Ramsdale will end up pricing up on biscuits and crisps in Asdas near Millhouses, Moussett upside down in a tree on the Woodhead pass (still in his car) and Brewster sat at home on his X Box, his mum having forgot to tell him that bloke Chris phoned him last week asking where the fuck he was.

pommpey

First

pommpey

Awful shout on McBurnie. He changed the game for us completely. He linked the play superbly. What game were you watching?
I agree thought he was too much for them to handle dropping deep and spreading the play
Also thought fkeck was excellent second half and played well enough first if not brilliant

Awful shout on McBurnie. He changed the game for us completely. He linked the play superbly. What game were you watching?

Have to agree with you. McBurnie played tonight how he played against us when he was at Swansea. Game changer.

Thought Lord Lundstram was a different gravy second half too... I'd be tempted to stick another £5k a week on the contract offer and see if he wants to stick around...

Have to disagree with you on a few things there Pommpey
Norwood creams there guy in midfield in the run up to their goal , card and free kick like Fleck did in the second half , they don’t score
I don’t think Ramsdale had much chance and did save it twice , maybe if he’d missed the second one Ampadu kicks it away
Yes the second half save , offside yes but reminded me of Hendo’s save v Norwich couple of seasons ago
Also think McBurnie deserves a bit more credit , he is one of our best defenders at set pieces and caused them a few problems in an around the box
Agree with most of your other ratings
It was great to see “Sam the Messiah “ is working his magic his team is fucking wank

Have to disagree with you on a few things there Pommpey
Norwood creams there guy in midfield in the run up to their goal , card and free kick like Fleck did in the second half , they don’t score
I don’t think Ramsdale had much chance and did save it twice , maybe if he’d missed the second one Ampadu kicks it away
Yes the second half save , offside yes but reminded me of Hendo’s save v Norwich couple of seasons ago
Also think McBurnie deserves a bit more credit , he is one of our best defenders at set pieces and caused them a few problems in an around the box
Agree with most of your other ratings
It was great to see “Sam the Messiah “ is working his magic his team is fucking wank
Norwood didn’t even have to foul, just put his foot in and he’d have won the ball.

If Mcburnie played for a pub team it would be called the dog and muck. That said I thought he played well. I still have no fucking idea what strikers he’s supposed to be. Target man, fox in the box, pacy running in behind, non of em
fit him

pommpey
Very hit and miss that report. 4/10. Poor kid

I'd be tempted to stick another £5k a week on the contract offer and see if he wants to stick around...
I am also of this thinking... end of the day what player could we get who knows the role as well, and is as talented as Lunny, for the same price or cheaper than an improved contract?

Wilder has made his point about the wages already... it wouldnt weaken his stance... Lunny has shown he wants to play for us...

I think Wilder might have planned to offer Lunny a contract dependent on this season, and turns out we are all but down, so lunny and the club will hold off until we know for certs

It does seem like you write this for a reaction Pompey following your report in the fa cup where you took a bit of stick.

Nah. It's only football.

Why start talking about 'pommpey' anyway?

What about the game?

pommpey

Fleck had a game of two halves. Pretty nondescript then superb in the second. Actually thought he and Lundstram worked really well together in that second period.
I think Fleck was hampered first half by Bogle being right footed. At least he could pass the ball to Lowe tight on the wing (even if he then just bollocked him straight afterwards for choosing the wrong option!).

Nah. It's only football.

Why start talking about 'pommpey' anyway?

What about the game?

pommpey
Thought we played well throughout. Played it far too safe first half but were much more decisive second. Had some great spells in that second half.
yes we aren’t Barcelona and pretty much certain to go down but I tell you what these players and this manager have some character and some massive balls. They deserve credit in my opinion not every little thing over analysed.
That’s my take I like to keep it simple.

Yeah, I am of yours too.

So, the game. Did you see it, or d'you want to critique the car I drive or the TV I have just bought?

pommpey

Was the TV a 1984 black and white jobby with a dodgy ariel? Because then I'd forgive some of your ratings. 🤣 Obviously anyone commenting on this did watch it. Otherwise they'd be an oblivious gobshite. Now...what car do you drive?

Back
Top Bottom