Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There's been a Black Swan in that approximate position since 1850ish, one in the old Pond Street too. I certainly remember it being single story building in the early 1950s, as to its exact location, I'll have to sit on the fence.

Wan’t it single storey at the entrance level but two storied further down due to the slope of the road ?

I seem to remember that when it became The Boardwalk , the lower area was called Under the Boardwalk or is my memory playing tricks ?

Wan’t it single storey at the entrance level but two storied further down due to the slope of the road ?

I seem to remember that when it became The Boardwalk , the lower area was called Under the Boardwalk or is my memory playing tricks ?
Yes it was, also called the Compleat Angler, the Clash, amongst umpteen other bands played their first ever gig there

Angel Street in early 1950s according to a FB group
Don't believe it's the 50's as the street furniture says its war time and the black out( put that light out )is in force. Even if the war had ended I don't think it would take S.C. four and a half years to change back to no black out, as in the photo I posted.

Nah, its High Street going down to Commercial Street. You can see the Marples site on the right, Bank on corner of Fitzalan Sq and Yorkshire Bank opposite at top of Haymarket.
I'm referring to the photo in post 19523. You are referring to the photo in post 19541. Looks like we're both going senile. 😀

Yes it was, also called the Compleat Angler, the Clash, amongst umpteen other bands played their first ever gig there

Compleat Angler aka Black Swan good pre pub before you went in Romeo and Juliets in the early 80's. Had many a night in there as I worked nearby. Downstairs was known as the Merrie England Bar in the early 70's. Always been associated with rock music. When it was Under the Boardwalk daughters band played a few gigs there as well as upstairs in the much bigger Boardwalk.

Compleat Angler aka Black Swan good pre pub before you went in Romeo and Juliets in the early 80's. Had many a night in there as I worked nearby. Downstairs was known as the Merrie England Bar in the early 70's. Always been associated with rock music. When it was Under the Boardwalk daughters band played a few gigs there as well as upstairs in the much bigger Boardwalk.
Next door to Alfredos for a quick snip and a pike at the apprentice ;)

Looks like circa 1950. No12 Sheffield- Chesterfield route, appears conductor ain't changed indicator for return trip.
Loved those back loaders. Jump on or off almost at will. Corners , in traffic, wish I had a quid for every time I've chased them down in Pond St bus station. Favourite spot was as they turned into Pond Hill, awkward if there was two of you, had to decide who had front or back spot as you ran.
Bloody cold in winter though, front seats down stairs, behind engine was the spot.
Laboriously slow. On my routes, East Bank Rd. and Fitzwalter Rd., City road up past Park&Arbour and Manor Clubs. When I first started work, used to get Readers Digest to read thus dulling the boredom.
The other Chesterfield route was the No.99, City Rd. Ridgway Rd ,White Lane through Ridgeway making its way through a few villages to Dronfield and on to Chezzy.

Last edited:
The Black Swan, 1 Snig Hill, opSnig Hill-bottom-showing The Grand Theatre Music Hall-R-in it's hayday (2).jpgened 1774 from APOEC book.
Photo-1 circa 1900 maybe a little earlier.
Note the white building on R the Grand Theatre Music Hall or Grand Concert Hall, with a pub built in, working pub hours with a staged hall for shows, NO seats all standing, this was the last one of its type to close in Sheffield.
Photo-2Snig Hill junction Bank St1960 (2).jpgSnig Hill LtoR Bank St junction after demolition . Photo dated 23 Oct 1954 (2).jpgSnig Hill LtoR Bank St junction after demolition . Photo dated 23 Oct 1954 (2).jpgPhoto-3. Why twice? I don't know, more for your money :)
Photo-4Snig Hill pre Mucky Duck (2).jpg
Photo-5 1960Snig Hill Nos39-41 Black Swan 1960 (2).jpg

Looks like circa 1950. No12 Sheffield- Chesterfield route, appears conductor ain't changed indicator for return trip.
Loved those back loaders. Jump on or off almost at will. Corners , in traffic, wish I had a quid for every time I've chased them down in Pond St bus station. Favourite spot was as they turned into Pond Hill, awkward if there was two of you, had to decide who had front or back spot as you ran.
Bloody cold in winter though, front seats down stairs, behind engine was the spot.
Laboriously slow. On my routes, East Bank Rd. and Fitzwalter Rd., City road up past Park&Arbour and Manor Clubs. When I first started work, used to get Readers Digest to read thus dulling the boredom.
The other Chesterfield route was the No.99, City Rd. Ridgway Rd ,White Lane through Ridgeway making its way through a few villages to Dronfield and on to Chezzy.
Sometimes you could jump off the back platform of the old Titans and the momentum as you hit the pavement running you could wave to the driver at the front as you ran past him, broke many a hundred yards world record in my time doing that.

Great picture, pitty we can't see more of the shop names, there's Wainwright's, Snelsons, Gallons and the Heeley Colly.
Anybody remember Leo the usher / commissionaire cum chucker out at the Colly?
If you look bottom left there appears to be a figure stood in the doorway, could be a bloke called Charlie who sold newspapers from the doorway, all were nearly laid out in order of popularity. On an evening, Charlie's wife sold the Star on the corner of Queens Road where the public lavs were outside Lowfields school

Great picture, pitty we can't see more of the shop names, there's Wainwright's, Snelsons, Gallons and the Heeley Colly.
Anybody remember Leo the usher / commissionaire cum chucker out at the Colly?
If you look bottom left there appears to be a figure stood in the doorway, could be a bloke called Charlie who sold newspapers from the doorway, all were nearly laid out in order of popularity. On an evening, Charlie's wife sold the Star on the corner of Queens Road where the public lavs were outside Lowfields school
Some more shops for you, don't the motorcycle combo take you back? The shops were thriving in those days, all changed there now, I believe.Heeley Bottom 1950's.jpgHeeley Bottom London Rd.jpgHeeley Bottom looking to Chesterfield Rd 1950's.jpgHeeley bottom.jpgI don't know ,was the cinema somewhere along this stretch of Heeley bottom?

The Black Swan, 1 Snig Hill, opView attachment 96422ened 1774 from APOEC book.
Photo-1 circa 1900 maybe a little earlier.
Note the white building on R the Grand Theatre Music Hall or Grand Concert Hall, with a pub built in, working pub hours with a staged hall for shows, NO seats all standing, this was the last one of its type to close in Sheffield.
Photo-2View attachment 96423View attachment 96426View attachment 96426Photo-3. Why twice? I don't know, more for your money :)
Photo-4View attachment 96427
Photo-5 1960View attachment 96428
Picture 2 Austin A35 --kin garbage. Morris 1000, equally as ----kin garbage.
Oh, and stop posting photos with snow in them. Not the done thing.

Some more shops for you, don't the motorcycle combo take you back? The shops were thriving in those days, all changed there now, I believe.View attachment 96454View attachment 96455View attachment 96456View attachment 96458I don't know ,was the cinema somewhere along this stretch of Heeley bottom?
Back then there was no need to go to town, everything you could possibly need from a piano to a tub of pork dripping was on sale on Heeley Bottom.
Heeley Colly became a Fine Fare, sited about where Machine Mart is now.
Regards the photo of Wainwright's toy shop, the little shop next door was their drapers section, it seems like only yesterday we went in with my mother to buy red and white ribbons for the semi final at Elland Road.

Picture 2 Austin A35 --kin garbage. Morris 1000, equally as ----kin garbage.
Oh, and stop posting photos with snow in them. Not the done thing.
Spit it out' the word is 'fucking', or does it hurt your sensibilities when you see it written down, if so don't use it.
Yeh, they do have heavy heavy snowfalls in the hills of Dakota, don't they.
Gorr art ot wrong side ot bed this morning, have we. Go and chew on who ever up set you.
Reference the cinema, Spital Hill is on a slope. the photograph indicates this cinema is on level ground.

I love the car making the dangerous pull out in front of the bus. The number plate, DWA reminded me that Sheffield had its own registration numbers, these being W, WA, WB, WC, WE and WJ (If I remember correctly). Nowadays we have Y registrations for Yorkshire which includes us Leeds and ,oddly, Beverley.

I love the car making the dangerous pull out in front of the bus. The number plate, DWA reminded me that Sheffield had its own registration numbers, these being W, WA, WB, WC, WE and WJ (If I remember correctly). Nowadays we have Y registrations for Yorkshire which includes us Leeds and ,oddly, Beverley.
I don't think Sheffield had WC as a registration but the others were Sheffield letters

Spit it out' the word is 'fucking', or does it hurt your sensibilities when you see it written down, if so don't use it.
Yeh, they do have heavy heavy snowfalls in the hills of Dakota, don't they.
Gorr art ot wrong side ot bed this morning, have we. Go and chew on who ever up set you.
Reference the cinema, Spital Hill is on a slope. the photograph indicates this cinema is on level ground.
Spital hill flattened out just above Smiffy's motor bike shop after Spital st. Picture house was on the flat bit. Was made to see Sound of music there, can't abide that film either.

Spital hill flattened out just above Smiffy's motor bike shop after Spital st. Picture house was on the flat bit. Was made to see Sound of music there, can't abide that film either.

Still don't like 'Sound of music'.
Builder up a ladder whistling the damn tune gave me an earworm for 2 weeks.

eeer, never mind the view, wear's Elf & Safety, if anyone of theirs caps blow off, well, serious damage could be done down the High Street
Looks like a Sunday, by the state of High St.
Recon they're nicking the lead. Workmen!!! They're only lads, probably some scrap man, parked on Church St in his Jag waiting to put the lead in the boot.:rolleyes:

Recapping to The Black Swan, 39-41 Snig Hill.
Photo better showing facade of the later blitzed building with an intriguing alley running to a yard, one way in, same way out, according to 1920-21 map. By the look of the motor vehicles, photo circa 1920'sView attachment 96630

Back
Top Bottom