McBurnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Who would you sign who you think is good enough?
I have no idea Swinton but i do know McBurnie is not the answer .I would love him to prove me wrong it gives me no pleasure having a dig at him but it is now our most pressing problem not having some one to put it in the net.It will cost us dear if we do not correct it .The chances he is missing every match has already cost us points.

I have no idea Swinton but i do know McBurnie is not the answer .I would love him to prove me wrong it gives me no pleasure having a dig at him but it is now our most pressing problem not having some one to put it in the net.It will cost us dear if we do not correct it .The chances he is missing every match has already cost us points.
I agree he is missing way too many chances, I hope he proves everyone wrong tbh.

Why dont all us {BLADES} get off his back. No Monty anymore lets have a pop at McBurnie

That was definitely McBurnie's best game of the season so far. He won most headers and put in an excellent shift. If we had another striker alongside him to work as his foil and put the ball in the net then nobody would be complaining. But we don't.

He was good Saturday his best for a while but I'm sure we brought him in to get goals? His finishing has been woeful so far an he just doesn't look like a man who is going to score, nobody wants him to fail because him scoring gives us the best chance of winning games and staying in this division. But the truth is he isn't scoring so people are going to get on his back, he can win as many headers as you like but a strikers game is to score if hes not doing that and nobody else is then hes gonna recieve the flack simple as.

I think we might regret not signing a natural goalscorer to play alongside him...the old big man fast man partnership.

Brewster may be that player but he's clearly going to take time to get up to speed and Burke looks promising until he gets a sight of goal.

Lot of work to do on the training ground as these are our strikers for the foreseeable future.

I think we might regret not signing a natural goalscorer to play alongside him...the old big man fast man partnership.

Brewster may be that player but he's clearly going to take time to get up to speed and Burke looks promising until he gets a sight of goal.

Lot of work to do on the training ground as these are our strikers for the foreseeable future.
I think "strikers" is a contradiction in terms

Aerial battles won is a defensive stat - ideally we want Egan at the top of that list.

McB is good at defensive heading- he is OK at challenging for hoofed up balls against centre backs, and he did well against Liverpool getting knock ons.

But afraid it doesn't in any way shape make him a good striker like Harry Kane - who can win an aerial battle, head goals in the net shoot at goal, dribble and set people up.

As usual when players arrive you have seen very little of them apart from You Tube- expectations were he would be an all round Centre Forward and at £20 Mill expectations were very high- he's had a good go and should by now show us what he can do. I couldn't care less that he looks and sounds a total prat, as long as does do the business; sadly he doesn't.

He looks flat footed, he's slow, in press he looks laboured, shooting poor, I sort of admire folk who still back him because it shows a loyalty- but lets face it- he's a flop.

Aerial battles won is a defensive stat - ideally we want Egan at the top of that list.

McB is good at defensive heading- he is OK at challenging for hoofed up balls against centre backs, and he did well against Liverpool getting knock ons.

But afraid it doesn't in any way shape make him a good striker like Harry Kane - who can win an aerial battle, head goals in the net shoot at goal, dribble and set people up.

As usual when players arrive you have seen very little of them apart from You Tube- expectations were he would be an all round Centre Forward and at £20 Mill expectations were very high- he's had a good go and should by now show us what he can do. I couldn't care less that he looks and sounds a total prat, as long as does do the business; sadly he doesn't.

He looks flat footed, he's slow, in press he looks laboured, shooting poor, I sort of admire folk who still back him because it shows a loyalty- but lets face it- he's a flop.

When I first read that I thought "flop" was harsh. But when you look at it, £20m for 6 goals in 47 games, and only ever looking like a Premier League striker in a handful of games, is probably flop material.

Do you think many people would still choose him over Maupay? Or Watkins, or Callum Wilson for that matter?

Anyone who think he’s a useless donkey watch this

As soon as he gets one he’ll get plenty

It can but unless you know the European market it carries a lot of risk, look at the amount of money that was spent on by Villa, Newcastle and West Ham on Wesley, Joelinton and Haller. Makes McBurnie seem like decent value. The idea that we could have gone out and bought better in Europe for a fraction of the price is unrealistic and in my opinion is a little insulting on the management and recruitment staff we have.

If you are professional recruiters in one of Europe's top football leagues, you'd think getting to know the European market might be a job requirement?

Spending wisely in Europe is wholly realistic. Would anyone argue against the notion that Sander Berge is the best of our recent signings?

I just don't understand why so many people seem to have a visceral hatred for him. You can see it in the language used. It's not your money that the club spent on him.

Forget the fee. It doesn't matter anymore. If you don't think he's the best option, fine. But all this nonsense about him being useless is just that, nonsense. He has definite strengths and weaknesses. He fits a starting role in games where we have to go long because we are likely to be under pressure. In games where we may have more of the ball I'd agree that he should probably be on the bench for Didzy to try to encourage us to play through the lines some more.

But try to be a bit more objective. He's a decent target man who's finishing runs hot and cold. The goals he has scored have been fantastic finishes (except West Ham). The ability is there. It's the consistency that isn't, in terms of overall play and finishing.

There's a better than zero chance that he comes up short at this go in the Premier League. But I wouldn't be surprised if he is eventually a success at this level

If you are professional recruiters in one of Europe's top football leagues, you'd think getting to know the European market might be a job requirement?

Spending wisely in Europe is wholly realistic. Would anyone argue against the notion that Sander Berge is the best of our recent signings?
Berge is an exemplary professional who speaks perfect English and comes with an absolutely stellar reputation. There aren't many of those around.

We don't have the infrastructure in pace to sign players for whom English is a struggle, may not be quite ready to leave home and would struggle to adapt to life in Sheffield (especially in a Pandemic). So I think the whole of Southern Europe is out for us, at least for a fair while yet.

There is so much more to moving country to play football than playing football. And United are not in a position to facilitate that

If McGoldrick did what McBurnie did against Liverpool he'd be raved about by our fans. But it's McBurnie so he's actually useless and if he's a striker he MUST score.

Anyone who think he’s a useless donkey watch this

As soon as he gets one he’ll get plenty

That run is more like the type of player I thought we were getting, after seeing him a few times for Barnsley and Swansea. The 47 times I have seen him playing for my own team since, probably trump the 5 or 6 times I saw him playing for other teams though.

By the way he does only feature in those highlights 3 times, and one of them he gives the ball away which results in a penalty. So you probably didn't pick a great example.

If McGoldrick did what McBurnie did against Liverpool he'd be raved about by our fans. But it's McBurnie so he's actually useless and if he's a striker he MUST score.

Exactly. Burke will stretch a defence with his pace and not look like scoring but people cream themselves. McB will dominate a defence and allow us to have possession higher up the pitch, and the same people just write that off. McGoldrick didnt look like scoring last year, but we appreciated his OTHER contributions and how it allowed us to not be pinned to our box.
People have been praising Brewster for his runs off the ball against liverpool.

Theres an agenda amongst a few on the forum, and it doesnt really matter anymore what he does if it isnt a goal. And when he does score, they'll carry on regardless because they just dont like him.

And stop with the 20million because its immaterial now. We judge based on our other strikers, its not hard.

Exactly. Burke will stretch a defence with his pace and not look like scoring but people cream themselves. McB will dominate a defence and allow us to have possession higher up the pitch, and the same people just write that off. McGoldrick didnt look like scoring last year, but we appreciated his OTHER contributions and how it allowed us to not be pinned to our box.
People have been praising Brewster for his runs off the ball against liverpool.

Theres an agenda amongst a few on the forum, and it doesnt really matter anymore what he does if it isnt a goal. And when he does score, they'll carry on regardless because they just dont like him.

And stop with the 20million because its immaterial now. We judge based on our other strikers, its not hard.

I don’t differentiate. I don’t rate any of them.

McGoldricks contribution was massively overrated last season. The defence and midfield bailed him, and the other forwards, out.

One of my bugbears is this nonsense about it doesn’t matter if the strikers don’t score, because of other stuff, like Ariel duels or whatever. That’s only true to a point. Someone has to score the bloody goals.

None of Didzy, McBurnie or Burke are regular PL scorers. I hope Brewster is, or it’s going to be a very long season.

Last edited:
As time goes on he will improve with good coaching and experience of the Premier League. Two or three goals will vastly up his confidence, just as a couple of wins will do the same for the team as a whole.

My main criticism of McBurnie is that he gets caught on his heels a bit too much.

Great point.

But to muddy the waters, some people that do defend him have separate agendas against other players (like Billy Sharp) who can do no right for them.

Objectivity across the board would be great. I fear that is just a naive pipe dream though.

Back
Top Bottom