Neil Etheridge ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bit different isn't it?
We're talking about a number 1 here, not a 3rd-choice-who-by-a-freak-injury-pile-up-gets-a-chance-in-the-first-team-and-grabs-it-with-both-hands.

I'd have no issue with any of those keepers, but not as a number 1. It's the difference between relegation and not, quite literally.
Neil etheridge made the most saves in the premier league last season
Neil etheridge made the most penalty saves last season (3)
He was Cardiff’s player of the season last season in the prem

Hes more than good enough to be out no1 Liverpool and West Ham have both tried to sign him in the last year

But you’d rather sign some young Turkish lad who no ones heard off playing in the equivalent of League one for £20 million

Bit different isn't it?
We're talking about a number 1 here, not a 3rd-choice-who-by-a-freak-injury-pile-up-gets-a-chance-in-the-first-team-and-grabs-it-with-both-hands.

I'd have no issue with any of those keepers, but not as a number 1. It's the difference between relegation and not, quite literally.

What type of goalkeepers are in the tier above those mentioned that we could realistically go for?

What type of goalkeepers are in the tier above those mentioned that we could realistically go for?
The two Turkish lads we've been linked with. Cakir and Bayindir.

Hes more than good enough to be out no1 Liverpool and West Ham have both tried to sign him in the last year

But you’d rather sign some young Turkish lad who no ones heard off playing in the equivalent of League one for £20 million

He made the most saves because he'll have faced the most shots

If Liverpool wanted him, they'd have got him

I'd rather sign either of the Turkish lads yeah, and if we can get them for the right price I'm sure Chris would and will too.

The two Turkish lads we've been linked with. Cakir and Bayindir.

No idea about either of them. Are you going by the logic that if Wilder is interested in them they must be exceptional, or have you actually watched them play?

No idea about either of them. Are you going by the logic that if Wilder is interested in them they must be exceptional, or have you actually watched them play?
I've seen both play
I think Cakir is better from what I've seen but not seen enough to draw up too much of a comparison between them

They're definitely PL quality, just how good? Who knows. But I hope we get to find out.
They've been linked with the likes of Ajax, Sevilla, Chelsea and Liverpool to name but a few. I'd be happy with either.

I think people might be getting me misaligned here.

I'm not in the 'I hate Neil Etheridge' camp.

There's just a lot of keepers I'd rather we try to sign before Neil Etheridge. That's all.
Replacing Henderson is literally going to be huge, if we get this wrong we have one nail in our coffin from the get go.

He made the most saves because he'll have faced the most shots

If Liverpool wanted him, they'd have got him

I'd rather sign either of the Turkish lads yeah, and if we can get them for the right price I'm sure Chris would and will too.

Just for context. Allison has made the least saves this season with 58. In the fact the highest ranked goalkeeper for saves from a side finishing in the top 6 is Kasper Schmeichel in 10th.

The most saves thing is a bit of a meaningless stat really.

They're definitely PL quality, just how good? Who knows. But I hope we get to find out.
They've been linked with the likes of Ajax, Sevilla, Chelsea and Liverpool to name but a few. I'd be happy with either.

Im sure if Liverpool had wanted either of them they would have got one of them

Im sure if Liverpool had wanted either of them they would have got one of them
Pretty hard to convince someone so young with potential and used to playing to come and sit on their bench. Hence why they took Adrian on a free.

There’s no way they’ll play ahead of Allison and they know that.

The young Turk will be a great keeper in the next 3/4 seasons

Just for context. Allison has made the least saves this season with 58. In the fact the highest ranked goalkeeper for saves from a side finishing in the top 6 is Kasper Schmeichel in 10th.

The most saves thing is a bit of a meaningless stat really.

spot on. most saves is a stat that will highlight more about the defensive set up of a team than the goalkeeper. For sure someone making lots of saves may seem great but that stat only highlights a small part of a goalkeepers ability. The stat doesn’t take into account how hard the shots were to save, power of strike, XG Success percentage of player who strikes the ball, position of keeper and the average amount of shots per game just to name a few. Below is a table that considers multiple data sets and highlights which keepers are the ones to lookout for shots faced per game In the premier league this year.

057AB8A2-6424-45F0-8B63-E7C6C2F21BCE.jpeg

Not wanting to derail the thread but you will get much better value for money off the continent. In France you have:

Gautier Larsonneur - Former French under 21 goalkeeper, age 22, plays for recently relegated Brest, despite this stats suggest he was one of the best keepers in the Division with a PSxG of +8.1

Side notes: He’s effectively the french version of Dean Henderson, he’s the former No.1 French under 21 goalkeeper, but has been overlooked by many of the bigger clubs when in pursuit of “A big name”. Time to steal from under the noses of other clubs quite possibly. May help moose having another native french speaker. £5m - 8m.

Predrag Rajkovic - Serbian national teams No.1, age 24, plays for Stade de Reims, statistically the best keeper in Ligue 1 with a PSxG of +8.4

Side notes: Mentioned on here by others, PSG potentially sniffing around him, but only has backup according to different websites (pinch of salt) recently finished in a Europa league position with Reims so may not fancy giving up that opportunity. Is the prospect of the premier league a big enough pull? £6m - 9m.

Others - Alfred Gomis, coined the next Buffon When at Spal, age 26, injured in feb ruptured ligament, might have fucked him up. Risky. Plays for 16th placed Dijon. Alexandre Oukidja, Leader, loves a one on one and penalty saves, age 32, Algerian international, plays for 15th places Metz, statistically 4th best keeper in Ligue 1 with PSxG of +6.7, Good attitude would fit in well.

0168F15F-878A-490D-8070-35FE346DBA36.jpeg

Etheridge certainly looked good on MOTD in Cardiff's relegation season. Having said that, Pickford looked good in Sunderland's relegation season...

Wilder has hasn't he? Sure someone from the club has anyway.

spot on. most saves is a stat that will highlight more about the defensive set up of a team than the goalkeeper. For sure someone making lots of saves may seem great but that stat only highlights a small part of a goalkeepers ability. The stat doesn’t take into account how hard the shots were to save, power of strike, XG Success percentage of player who strikes the ball, position of keeper and the average amount of shots per game just to name a few. Below is a table that considers multiple data sets and highlights which keepers are the ones to lookout for shots faced per game In the premier league this year.

View attachment 86814

PSxG minus goals allowed for Etheridge the previous season at -0.8 isn’t as high as I thought it would be at all. Marginally better than Ramsdale. That said Kasper Schmeichel was about -4 the same season as Etheridge (it’s a reverse of that this season), and I don’t think any of the keepers mentioned in this thread are better than him.

LoughboroBlade, Yeah agree, My bad posted the older version of Goalkeeping data that I had been tracking, the latest shows Ramsdale ended the season on PSxG of - 0.7 effectively the same as Neil Etheridge at -0.8. Both faced the Same difficultly of shot at 0.32. What’s crazy to think is Ramsdale is being spoke about as a £15 million pound player when his stats and teams ending position are near to identical.. and I can’t see Cardiff wanting £15 Million for Etheridge and he has more senior experience.

Etheridge could certainly be the cheaper option, however, as said above their are better players around Europe who may cost a similar amount.

Last edited:
If I had a choice between Ramsdale and Etheridge I'd pick the latter every day of the week.

Ramsdale just doesn't inspire confidence at all IMO. Yes he makes some good saves but he doesn't look like he commands his area that well and has let in plenty of goals this season that Hendo wouldn't have or a lot of other keepers probably.

The only plus for Ramsdale is that he'll be far more protected by our back line than he was with Bournemouth's so maybe he wouldn't be that bad.

It's a bit of a conundrum for me. On one hand we'd get far more VFM by looking abroad ie the Turkish lads but good foreign keepers coming to England have been a real mixed bag. At least signing from this country you pretty much know exactly what you're getting.

With Celtic signing that Greek lad it seems their interest in a perm deal for Forster is over. I wouldn't mind seeing what the deal would be for him. £6m fee was the reputed figure, which is a steal but wages may be an issue pontentially.

Henderson is a good keeper but has made mistakes and has played behind a v good defence that limits shots on goal.
He has let goals in on his near post and in my opinion does not command his area v well.
Yes he is good but not in my opinion the great keeper that many think him to be and subsequently could be replaced with no great loss.
Either of Ramsdale or Etheridge are in my opinion not far behind him, the former can only get better whilst the later had more experience.
I for one would not be too bothered if Henderson was not resigned

Henderson is a good keeper but has made mistakes and has played behind a v good defence that limits shots on goal.
He has let goals in on his near post and in my opinion does not command his area v well.
Yes he is good but not in my opinion the great keeper that many think him to be and subsequently could be replaced with no great loss.
Either of Ramsdale or Etheridge are in my opinion not far behind him, the former can only get better whilst the later had more experience.
I for one would not be too bothered if Henderson was not resigned

I suppose the acid test for how good he is should be how many points he has potentially earned us vs how many points he has potentially cost us.

Just been having a look through a couple of highlight reels of our season and have quickly put the following together. Very quick and raw so happy for people to disagree.

This has been based on a very simple, totally personal point of view in that I have based his mistakes vs whether other keepers would have had a good chance of saving them and his saves vs whether most other keepers would have saved them.

Bournemouth (Away) - Not at fault for their goal and 1 amazing save from Billing = +1 point
Chelsea (Away) - At fault for 1 of their goals and 1 great save low down = No change
Liverpool (Home) - Less said about their goal the better. 1 decent save from Salah but not that great = -1 point
Arsenal (Home) - 1 amazing save from a blistering shot up high from outside the box = +2 points
Wolves (Away) - Not at fault for their goal and several top notch saves 2nd half = +1 point
Watford (Away) - Several great saves late on = +1 point
Spurs (Away) - Should have done better for their goal IMO = -2 points
Watford (Home) - Terrible indecision for their goal = -2 points
Norwich (Away) - Best save of the season from Cuntwell = +2 points
Liverpool (Away) - Result never in doubt but put this in just to remember his high save from Salah. Absolute world class.
Man City (Home) - Again didn't change the result but some other world class saves.
Norwich (Home) - Goal mouth scramble, amazing reflexes = +2 points
Bournemouth (Home) - Not at fault for their goal, couple of great saves = +2 points

These are only obvious ones. He probably earned us a point away at Villa even though we should have been in front.

Totals

Points Gained = 11
Points Cost = 5

I suppose the acid test for how good he is should be how many points he has potentially earned us vs how many points he has potentially cost us.

Just been having a look through a couple of highlight reels of our season and have quickly put the following together. Very quick and raw so happy for people to disagree.

This has been based on a very simple, totally personal point of view in that I have based his mistakes vs whether other keepers would have had a good chance of saving them and his saves vs whether most other keepers would have saved them.

Bournemouth (Away) - Not at fault for their goal and 1 amazing save from Billing = +1 point
Chelsea (Away) - At fault for 1 of their goals and 1 great save low down = No change
Liverpool (Home) - Less said about their goal the better. 1 decent save from Salah but not that great = -1 point
Arsenal (Home) - 1 amazing save from a blistering shot up high from outside the box = +2 points
Wolves (Away) - Not at fault for their goal and several top notch saves 2nd half = +1 point
Watford (Away) - Several great saves late on = +1 point
Spurs (Away) - Should have done better for their goal IMO = -2 points
Watford (Home) - Terrible indecision for their goal = -2 points
Norwich (Away) - Best save of the season from Cuntwell = +2 points
Liverpool (Away) - Result never in doubt but put this in just to remember his high save from Salah. Absolute world class.
Man City (Home) - Again didn't change the result but some other world class saves.
Norwich (Home) - Goal mouth scramble, amazing reflexes = +2 points
Bournemouth (Home) - Not at fault for their goal, couple of great saves = +2 points

These are only obvious ones. He probably earned us a point away at Villa even though we should have been in front.

Totals

Points Gained = 11
Points Cost = 5
Don’t recall the Billing wonder save At Bournemouth. Arsenal at home? You mean the long range from xhaka? If so, that was food and drink for Henderson. Spurs away was a double feck up by enda and Eagan, then a deflection! Watford at home was a big punt down the middle and another bollock by Eagan?

Back
Top Bottom