Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Great photo. Bocking Lane, Westwick Crescent, Hemper Lane, Road behind the photographer to Lowedges estate. Road up to the right up to Greenhill village and the White Hart and White Swan pubs.

The main building on the opposite side of the traffic island was Mitchell newsagents. I used to do my paper round from there. The white door to the left hand side of the building was like a garage where we picked up our papers in the scruffy Star bags.

I did Old Park Avenue and Old Park road. Newspapers were always late delivered on a morning after a Blades night match due to me taking my time reading all the reports.

Usually got a bollocking and late for school.

That was part of my journey by foot from Pond Street station to Bridge Street bus stop to catch the connecting bus to my grandmother's at Shiregreen. A tramp called Cyril was often seen roaming around this part of the subway
Cyril was a city centre regular. They found him dead in a doorway one morning.

What a fabulous and evocative selection of photos from South Essex .

My absolute favourite has to be the 1930's menu from Davy's . Obviously before my time but I remember the place from later and the wonderful smell of roasting coffee which permeated the whole area .

Back to the menu , I'm going for Turtle Consommé , Jugged Rabbit with Bacon and Manchester , just to find out what the fuck it is . :)

That's Ball_Sup (Phil) and his mates the CBF last week......
My mum applied for a job at the Bassetts factory in the 70s. You could help yourself to as many sweets as you liked on the conveyor belt as they went past but if you took just one home you'd be sacked.

Unthinkable now, especially with corona!
I worked at the Bassetts distribution warehouse rather than the factory (in the 70s). We had a table, upon which damaged boxes of sweets, which could not be sent out to shops were placed. We were free to help ourselves to this damaged stock. Natch, when those ran out, we just got the forklift driver to run into another pallet of boxes & damage some more.
The Carrier Bag Firm, bringing you solutions, not problems, since the 1970s.....

Back
Top Bottom