Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Three pics from the roof of Sharrow Telephone Exchange, Aizlewood Rd. August 1983.
The first is towards the south with the Abbeydale cinema and St Peter's church (now gone)
View attachment 78745

Second, up Aizlewood Rd, towards Abbeydale Rd.

View attachment 78743

Below, looking down Aizlewood Rd, towards Loxley Printers - the white building - which has a relatively grand entrance for the neighbourhood. ( When I was a small kid, my dad convinced me this was the Queen's Northern Palace.)
Somewhere in the distant murk is the Lane.

View attachment 78744
Just off to the left of this pic was Sellers Street, part of which remains further down.
On there was the original (at least for me) Bardwell's electronic Aladdin's cave/shop.
That’s gotta be from the third floor equipment room Andingham 😉

That’s gotta be from the third floor equipment room Andingham 😉
Interesting.... kindred spirit??
I recall three floors (G, 1, 2) in the Strowger days. I spent 3 months just bank cleaning group selectors on the top floor when I was a GPO "Youth".
I returned many times as a construction engineer in later years. On this occasion, I seem to think I was on the roof, fitting the hoist ready for a rack lifting session. But my memory has been known to lapse now and again.. so, maybe not.:). I guess it's all changed inside now anyway.

June 1985. Forncett St (off Carlisle St/East)
I've no idea what school or factory. Just thought it made an interesting pic.

View attachment 78870
I'm going to be of no help whatsoever.
Dragged up around there, we used to play footy on Forncett st but at the other end.
The direction facing is towards Sutherland road which had a swimming baths and a playground known locally as Wembley, or the Wembley.
Looks like a water tower. This could have served firms on Carlisle street maybe. They were often remote to give decent gravity feed to presses. Just a guess.
Can't for the life of me remember the tower or the building. I went to Ellesmere rd infant and junior school which was nearby so this may not be a school.

Hope you will post your memories of the 1960-61 promotion season in your 60 years ago today thread!
I have now checked, and the scrapbook for 1960-61 is intact, and I have a decent number of programmes for the season, so I should be able to do a re-run. And assuming you will be doing the 50 years ago thread, I will have the pleasure of beating you to promotion by a couple of weeks, and having a proper Cup run to report on. Indeed, United have never come closer to a Wembley Cup Final in my lifetime than that year. But I won't have TC to report on...

Tommy Boyle's father, Peter Boyle, used to live on my street, Alderson Place (1901 census research by blade.i.am I think) - must have been very convenient for him being so close to Bramall Lane. Father and son were both FA Cup winners with us, which must be some sort of record, I suspect.
Not done the research on this (lockdown challenge for Silent Blade?), but Les Allen and son Clive Allen both played for Spurs in seasons in which Spurs reached the cup final. Clive played in the 1987 final, but they lost to Coventry. He might have played in another Spurs FA Cup final and won, not sure.

Not done the research on this (lockdown challenge for Silent Blade?), but Les Allen and son Clive Allen both played for Spurs in seasons in which Spurs reached the cup final. Clive played in the 1987 final, but they lost to Coventry. He might have played in another Spurs FA Cup final and won, not sure.

Cup winner here whose father won it twice.

Clive Allen was a Manchester City player when Spurs won the 1991 FA Cup final. The 1987 final was the only final he played for Spurs. He also played in the 1982 final for QPR

Alf Ringstead again. This one finished 7-3 🐷🐷🐷🐷

View attachment 79086

Terrific photo of a terrific player - one of my heroes as a young lad .

Through the years , the Blades have been blessed with a number of very fine wingers who could not only create many opportunities for others but were also prolific in their own right and Alf Ringstead is right up there with the best of them .

Wasn't another son of Les Allen on our books for a bit? I remember hearing this but can't find any evidence of it.

Hi all - does anyone know anything about this print? I had never seen it before today. I know It's Utd v Leeds 1936 FA Cup semi final but can you buy reprints or digital reproductions anywhere?

Attachments

• 9751369E-A347-4735-AFF6-E0D1EE94B079.jpeg
    9751369E-A347-4735-AFF6-E0D1EE94B079.jpeg
    418.8 KB · Views: 27
One or two posts recently about achievements by different members of the same family. I was going to put this up as a question, but I couldn't think of a good way of phrasing it. The programme attached is for 2 games over Easter, and the opposition in each case has one of the Blanchflower brothers playing for them. That has got to be unique for the one programme. Did the guy selling the programmes shout 'Your match day programme 3 pence' or 'Your matchday programmes 3 pence'?
433B4591-C3EE-4ECB-8A4B-C795E6ABFF63.jpeg6DB96D0E-57FF-4CCE-AA27-D60D9454E9A6.jpeg

One or two posts recently about achievements by different members of the same family. I was going to put this up as a question, but I couldn't think of a good way of phrasing it. The programme attached is for 2 games over Easter, and the opposition in each case has one of the Blanchflower brothers playing for them. That has got to be unique for the one programme. Did the guy selling the programmes shout 'Your match day programme 3 pence' or 'Your matchday programmes 3 pence'?
View attachment 79114View attachment 79115
That`s jogged my memory. We played in " black knickers " in those days !

1956 v Everton. Alf Ringstead heading the ball. Not sure on the others

View attachment 79084
Superb photo, can almost feel the atmosphere from 64 years ago, meks the hairs on the back of mi neck stand up. thanks for that SEB. As for United players LtoR Hoyland 60% sure, Alf, Grainger 99% sure and Sir Jimmy, by the nose to be honest, 90% certain.

We also played in sheer tights and black lace sussies.
Why would one play in tights AND black lace sussies. Is this some sort of deviancy? Na, if ya said sheer black nylons AND black lace sussie it makes sense cos with tights and sussies the sussies have nowt too do they can trip one up and we all know one can't play football on yer arse.

Back
Top Bottom