Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

My first adult hi tech camera shots with my new 110 instamatic taken in June 1976, on a return to my old stomping ground.
First one below is Abbeydale Road from top of Broadfield Road.View attachment 75074
Below is a view down Broadfield Road.
View attachment 75077
Last one below is a shot up Bedale Road towards Abbeydale Road from Broadfield Road. Heeley Baths out of shot to the right, Dixon's Mint Rock factory off to the left.View attachment 75078

As a kid, this area was my walking route to The Lane and back. It was terraced houses, chip shops and little grocery shops interspersed with factories more or less all the way.

Double Diamond using very early text speak

I 4C A DD 4U

Spurs 1 Blades 2 ( Woodward, Bone) 15/9/73

Tony Pritchett wrote in his match report

Woodward scored to complete 100 League goals for the club, and although he has certainly scored many more spectacular goals, I question whether he has shown such remarkable skill and calmness as he did for this one. Tottenham's defence got itself into a mess and Salmons was quick to pick up a loose ball and push it to Woodward out on the left inside the penalty area. The winger had an opponent with him, Jennings coming out and with almost no room Woodward curved the ball cleverly across the front of Jennings and watched it clip the foot of an upright and bounce gently over the line.

A week later he wrote

Sir Alf Ramsey, a man not often known to show his appreciation, was at the match and he was overheard commenting to somebody at half time that Woodward's goal was "magnificent".
t
Top sportswriter. and totally loyal to writing about the Blades. Had the chance to report on a MASSIVE club a division higher but turned it down. Star has had some great writers, Tony Hardisty, Peter Howard, Reg Whittaker, Les Payne and now James Shields. Was due to finish work at 4.00 pm but I got them to let me off early so I could get to the Arsenal - Blades game in 1973. Not having access to local Sheffield news I wondered who this guy Bone was. Lost 3 - 2 but Bone scored.

Last edited:
More great photos. The Bedale rd picture is amazing. No houses at all there now just car parks for a furniture shop and heeley baths. Technicality I know but think the first shot is from the bottom of Sheldon rd looking towards Abbeydale picture palace further up on the right. Bit strange as there are houses where the junction of broadfield rd and abbeydale rd is now.
Yes indeed, bottom of Sheldon Road, nearly opposite top of Broadfield. 👍 Thinking back now, its amazing to think just how may small, family run business of all kinds there were embedded in all these terraced streets. Conversely, pubs were surprisingly sparse along Abbeydale road itself. I seem to remember that from the Broadfield pub, the next one into town was the Royal (?) at Highfields and out of town it was the Millhouses Hotel.

Yes indeed, bottom of Sheldon Road, nearly opposite top of Broadfield. 👍 Thinking back now, its amazing to think just how may small, family run business of all kinds there were embedded in all these terraced streets. Conversely, pubs were surprisingly sparse along Abbeydale road itself. I seem to remember that from the Broadfield pub, the next one into town was the Royal (?) at Highfields and out of town it was the Millhouses Hotel.
Correct. Same as Chesterfield rd. From Heeley bottom the next pub on the main road out of Sheffield was the Chantry (before Wetherspoons Woodseats palace opened). That's a fair distance for a main road.

Anyone got any photos of the old club shop / supporters club which was located in 1 of the terrace houses on John st?

London 3 Sheffield 0. 1892

View attachment 75055

Sheffield (2-3-5): Will Lilley (Sheffield United), Bob Cain (Sheffield United), Albert Mumford (The Wednesday), Albert Rodgers (Rotherham Town), Willie Hendry (Captain, Sheffield United), Ernest Needham (Sheffield United), Billy Longden (Rotherham Town), Sammy Dobson (Sheffield United), Harry Hammond (Sheffield United), Harry Woolhouse (The Wednesday), John Drummond (Sheffield United).
Do we know where this game was played?

Bert has just delved into his garage and it looks like he was wrong, the only Sheffield Boys programme he has doesn't have Gary France in the team. He does however have him in the United youth team in that era. Note the two future England internationals. View attachment 75079
What year are these from? I went to school with a Colin Pymm who was a handy footballer but don’t recall him playing for United.

Anyone got any photos of the old club shop / supporters club which was located in 1 of the terrace houses on John st?
Sorry, I can't help. My missus used to work in there occasionally, and she recalls it was more or less opposite the main entrance on a left hand corner, looking from the stand. Oh, and they had "rattles and pennants and scarves in the window" - not much help I'm afraid! But I hope you're successful in your search. I'd love to see a photo too.

t
Top sportswriter. and totally loyal to writing about the Blades. Had the chance to report on a MASSIVE club a division higher but turned it down. Star has had some great writers, Tony Hardisty, Peter Howard, Reg Whittaker, Les Payne and now James Shields. Was due to finish work at 4.00 pm but I got them to let me off early so I could get to the Arsenal - Blades game in 1973. Not having access to local Sheffield news I wondered who this guy Bone was. Lost 3 - 2 but Bone scored.

TP jumped ship from the Grunters to report on United when Peter Howard became sports editor.

It was relatively short compared to other grounds. From the other end though I'll never forget Freddie Trueman putting one over the main football stand (now the Family Enclosure) - I hope it landed safely.
Bloody hell, was at that game if it’s the right one, Fiery Fred lasted 4 balls 6-4-6 out. Use to sit in John Street stand and buy a cushion for comfort to place on the old wooden seats. Was one of the overseas touring teams against Yorkshire but for life cannot remember which one bud saw them all play there.

Blades 2 (Woodward, Colquhoun) 2 Swindon 1 (Noble) 22/8/70. Peter Noble and Arthur Horsfield the Swindon players. Eddie Colquhoun (on ground) and Dave Powell on the right.

The only home game I missed that season as I was on a family holiday in Great Yarmouth. I waited for ages to find out the score at a newsagent near the caravan park I was staying in. My mum thought I had gone missing and was really worried!

Bloody hell, was at that game if it’s the right one, Fiery Fred lasted 4 balls 6-4-6 out. Use to sit in John Street stand and buy a cushion for comfort to place on the old wooden seats. Was one of the overseas touring teams against Yorkshire but for life cannot remember which one bud saw them all play there.
I can't be certain, but I remember seeing the mercurial Peter May in full flow, and suspect it may have been the same game. I was only about 9 and our Lydgate Lane school teacher had promised to take us for another match that got rained off. I do know Fred wasn't at the crease very long, but he left me with that cracking memory. The outfield was a bit rough on the outer edges where Ringstead and Hawksworth had enjoyed what was left of the grassy patches of the football pitch.
Some great players on show that day - including Alec & Eric Bedser.

Back
Top Bottom