Match Thread Reading v. Sheffield United - 3rd March 2020

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So after a frantic set of fixtures it's immediately back in action again with the trip to Reading in the FA Cup 5th round ;) ;)
There should be little point in resting anyone, so changes are presumably to get players back to match fitness after too long a break IMO...

Anyway...

Any team news? :)

Steven's struggling?

Perhaps a return of Mousset and McGoldrick partnership?

An appearance for one or both of the other foreign January acquisitions?

Joking apart on the lack of games, it's good we have this one to get us back in the rhythm for Saturday's league game. And no disrespect to Reading, but the 11 we put out should be good enough to take us into the quarter final. No replays of course, so with kick off at 8pm, it could be a late night....

But I think we'll do it in the 90 mins 2 nil Blades victory...

Safe journey all.
UTB

Does anyone think there's any chance of Zak Brunt being in the squad at all? know he's been training with the first team. I, as I feel like I say every Cup game, would love to see some of the U23s start playing with the first team. Feel like every team does it except us.

I don't know specifically about this guy Brunt, but one thing I think we have to understand now is that our first team is no longer a place for experimenting with young talent - not unless it's of outstanding ability. The club has moved on to such a level that we just can't accommodate the young ones coming through - they need to go out on loan elsewhere and develop away from the club, for them to have an opportunity to stake a claim here. We've got seasoned professionals who are sitting on the bench or not even making the matchday squad, who are understandably ahead of the younger ones in the pecking order.

I also don't think that Wilder will be experimenting tonight at Reading - the team you've suggested is extremely unlikely I think - just too many changes. And too many changes mean you've got good players, but they aren't used to playing alongside each other in the team in a competitive game. I don't think Wilder will risk that for a moment with a place in the quarter finals at stake. I think he'll not make any more than 2 changes in that starting line up. One of whom, I think, will be Retsos for Basham. That should be an interesting one. And the other may be an appearance, from the bench, for that speedy Gonzales bloke.

1583218779057.png

..........and our Saturday opponents play Wednesday away at Spurs so we also get an extra days rest as well as being at home. Norwich are taking 9K fans to Spurs (brilliant effort) - can't see them playing reserves either.

We simply have to play out best team to go and win the game easily rather than struggle.

Get it done in 90 mins - or even by half time.

We were extremely comfortable at Millwall all the game and having watched reading a couple of times since the draw, we have to turn up and just play how we do.

UTB

How come Norwich are taking 9000 to Spurs? More to the point, how come they are allowed to? We only got 3000 tickets, even though their stadium holds 62,000 and their average crowds were 58000 approx (when we played them) 3000 of which would be away fans - so there was room there for them to give us at least double the 3000 allocation. But Spurs are giving Norwich 9000? Wow! That just shows how unpopular the FA Cup is then, compared to the Premier League!

Anyhow, I hope Norwich get a win tomorrow and are knackered on Saturday.

I’ll be gob-smacked if anyone on our books called “Restos” plays a single minute of tomorrow’s game...

The only thing for certain then, is that either you or Coatesy are going to end up with a smack in the gob.;)

I think you're the one who's gonna get gobsmacked on this occasion Loughboro - because Wilder himself has said that both Zivkovic and Restos will be "involved". And what we are led to believe is that Retsos is more likely to be a starter, whilst Zivkovic is more likely to make an appearance off the bench.

I can easily see Restsos for Basham, no smacking of the gob needed. And I can see Zivkovic coming on at some point.

How come Norwich are taking 9000 to Spurs? More to the point, how come they are allowed to? We only got 3000 tickets, even though their stadium holds 62,000 and their average crowds were 58000 approx (when we played them) 3000 of which would be away fans - so there was room there for them to give us at least double the 3000 allocation. But Spurs are giving Norwich 9000? Wow! That just shows how unpopular the FA Cup is then, compared to the Premier League!

Remember reading somewhere that away allocations for European games is a lot higher than league games, so I'd assume the stadium is better designed for larger numbers of away fans.
Leeds took 8000 to Arsenal in the last round

It's an FA Cup tie - FA rules 15% of capacity

UTB

The only thing for certain then, is that either you or Coatesy are going to end up with a smack in the gob.;)

I think you're the one who's gonna get gobsmacked on this occasion Loughboro - because Wilder himself has said that both Zivkovic and Restos will be "involved". And what we are led to believe is that Retsos is more likely to be a starter, whilst Zivkovic is more likely to make an appearance off the bench.

I can easily see Restsos for Basham, no smacking of the gob needed. And I can see Zivkovic coming on at some point.

I’m afraid not Cerbs – I listened to the interview and highlighted Wilder’s comments on who might feature, but I’ve double-checked and neither “Restos” or “Restsos” appear to be on our books.

in any fa cup game barring semis & final. every away team is entitled to 15% it whether they take it. so if we win & get drawn at home next that team will get both upstairs & downstairs

I'm expecting a very strong team for this one. The absolute worst that can happen in the league is that we don't make Europe (which we might well not do anyway) and our lack of recent fixtures means we could do with getting a game in. There are only 2 teams left in who I wouldn't give us much chance against and 1 of those might go out in this round.

I'd go

Henderson
Basham Egan O'Connell
Baldock Berge Norwood Fleck Osborn (Stevens if he's 100%)
McGoldrick Mousset

I’m afraid not Cerbs – I listened to the interview and highlighted Wilder’s comments on who might feature, but I’ve double-checked and neither “Restos” or “Restsos” appear to be on our books.
I wish we wouldn't keep signing these players with funny names!

in any fa cup game barring semis & final. every away team is entitled to 15% it whether they take it. so if we win & get drawn at home next that team will get both upstairs & downstairs
I understand that but what I’d like to know is why we only got 1400 for tonight.

I understand that but what I’d like to know is why we only got 1400 for tonight.
we obviously didn't take up the full allocation

Didn't sell out the Millwall allocation so the club guessed there wouldn't be huge demand for this one. Tbf it looks like a reasonable call, weren't they on general sale for a few days even with the lower allocation and only £10 a ticket?

I have a feeling that United would have had to buy any unsold tickets if we'd asked for any more than we did. We were entitled to 3,600 (15%) under FA rules but anything above 2,300 would involve moving Reading season ticket holders.

Looking at the Madejski plan it would appear that we did in fact take the full away allocation (2,300) - I'm in block R29 which is the last of the three dedicated to away fans and I'm fairly sure I had to a choice of blocks R27, R28 and R29 to pick my ticket.

stadium-plan.png

I have a feeling that United would have had to buy any unsold tickets if we'd asked for any more than we did. We were entitled to 3,600 (15%) under FA rules but anything above 2,300 would involve moving Reading season ticket holders.

Looking at the Madejski plan it would appear that we did in fact take the full away allocation (2,300) - I'm in block R29 which is the last of the three dedicated to away fans and I'm fairly sure I had to a choice of blocks R27, R28 and R29 to pick my ticket.

stadium-plan.png
Yes, I bought mine before general sale Block 27

can i ask a strange question. just on official coach & coach just stopped off in newbury 28km from the ground. told to meet back at 6.15pm.

in all my away games on the coach ive never known this. is this normal. i feel its the equivalent of reading playing rotherham & dropping reading fans of in the Sheffield interchange & told to basically kill a few hrs before heading on

can i ask a strange question. just on official coach & coach just stopped off in newbury 28km from the ground. told to meet back at 6.15pm.

in all my away games on the coach ive never known this. is this normal. i feel its the equivalent of reading playing rotherham & dropping reading fans of in the Sheffield interchange & told to basically kill a few hrs before heading on
No idea but I’d guess traffic. M4 heading east into Reading is a car park at this time of day.

If only you mere peasants had a Helicopter like myself.

I was at a school near Newbury for 6 years and many times I played school football (and cricket) matches in Reading area, Bluecoat, Kennylands, Presentation College, Theale, Bulmershe to name some.

If only I'd have known, would have gladly had a pint with you all before you hopped back onto the coach ;)

Just on the train from Newbury to Reading now, UTB.

thanks everyone. this was just oddest travelling expierence i have had thought id ask. because to be fair i didnt know newbury existed til 90 mins & will most likely never return 😄

but thats i love about away days. every game gives you a funny story to tell

........................... Henderson

..........Retsos...........Egan...........O'Connell

Baldock...............................................Osborn

..................................Berge...........................

................Lundstram................Fleck............

.............Mousett...................McGoldrick

Subs: Verrips, Basham, J. Robinson, Norwood, Sharp, McBurnie, Zivkovic.

Let's have a look at Berge in the central role. I'd expect us to have a lot of the ball in this one so it's a good opportunity for him to show us what he can do.

We need to see Retsos & Zivkovic needs some minutes off the bench.
I'd play Freeman instead of Flecky, and Sharp with Didzy, sharp for Mousett around 60, and Zivkovic for Didzy 15mins later if we're ahead?

any way enough of me feeling like in some weird sitcom.

this should be straight forward because last season reading were 1 of the easiest games we played last season mad to think rotherham were relegated & yet reading survived. considering the different tests we had we couldve put 8 past reading at the lane last seaso. & our squad is better than last season & they are fully rested. reading last played on Saturday.

im getting worried this could go pearshaped. because this is great chance to get to Wembley. 90 mins & a home draw away

Its called stopping off for a beer before the game

I’ve not been on the official coach for years, but that was pretty standard. Leave the Lane at a ridiculously early time and drop you off in some local village with 2 hours to kill. It’s ok if you’re off to the pub but other than that, you’re bored shitless killing time.

Back
Top Bottom