Match Thread Sheffield United v. Burnley - 2nd November 19

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
BUR
BUR
BUR
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1572342370622.png v. 1572342379991.png

EPL Week 11 - Saturday 2nd November 2019 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings
- https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-burnley.475/

Officials:

Referee:
Simon Hooper
Assistant Referee: Dan Robathan
Assistant Referee: Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Stephen Martin
Video Assistant Referee: Graham Scott
Additional Video Assistant Referee: Darren Cann

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter
: https://twitter.com/s24su

📺 Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 17.42.19.png

Last edited:

Updated with beIN coverage.

Unless we tank them 5 0. I think MOTD are warming to us definitely only team last week to get a montage before the highlights (first shown after the Arsenal game last Monday). Either that or as it was so expensive to produce (they used a clip of the original John Denver song - royalties and all that) they had to get their moneys worth and use it twice.

The Arsenal game wasn't shown on any Match of the Day for that weekend because it was on Monday. That's why we got a montage.

I'll take 1-0 victories and last on MotD every day of the week though.

Hope we wise up to their corner routine where there big defender blocks our last man off and Hendrick comes in round the back on knocks it in. Seen it succeed a couple of times on MOTD already.

As a kiwi Blade, kinda dissapointed Wood unlikely to play, however in saying that also glad.
Rate him as top 5 in the prem for scoring headed crosses. Hes a big tall strong lad and probably would give Egan his toughest challenge so far in dealing with crosses. (Which up to now he's dealt with so comfortably)

Nailed on defeat this ... though I always fear the worst.
Anyway I have 2 spare tickets for the game .
i don’t want anything for them but would like to give then to someone who maybe doesn't get the chance to go normally.
No loyalty points or membership required ;)
I'm staying at the Copthorne so can hand over b4 the game.
Well done pal,a great gesture from one Blade to another. Precisely what we are all about.;)

We really need to build on a good start with a win here. It'll be really tough but it could be a pivot moment in the direction of our season.

Will be an interesting match. Not sure if I agree with the Dyche love in on here. If anything I think his one man crusade against diving is a very clever shithousing campaign to influence refs and reduce the likelihood of his players getting penalised. Clear parallels with Allardyce in the set up of his teams and the very well organised choreographed (cheating/blocking) at attacking free kicks.

Over for 1st visit of the season, be on the kop cheering on my fellow Corkman, not doing to badly is he, big 3 points and to me it could be our toughest game so far. Important to win our home matches obviously and build on our last home game. Crowd vital as well, be patient and get behind the lads COYRAWW

I've got an uneasy feeling about this one ,playing these is like teaching your grandmother how to suck eggs .
If we manage 3 points against em I'll be over the moon.

Over for 1st visit of the season, be on the kop cheering on my fellow Corkman, not doing to badly is he, big 3 points and to me it could be our toughest game so far. Important to win our home matches obviously and build on our last home game. Crowd vital as well, be patient and get behind the lads COYRAWW

Jack Cork?

Don't cheer too loud when Burnley score.

Wierd, first.game I miss this season, cos I'm in cork 🤣🤣🤣

Any team news are all players fit if so I'll stick my neck out and say

Henderson
Baldock bash Egan joc stevens
Lunny Norwood fleck
Mcgoldrick
And the moose

We owe Burnley big style. 62. 6th round of FA cup. The whistle game. 70’s Woody & Flynn sent off at their place by a twat whose name I can’t recall now and the Play off game where knobend played a donkey up front. Had we won that they would have been in administration. Fucking do em.

We owe Burnley big style. 62. 6th round of FA cup. The whistle game. 70’s Woody & Flynn sent off at their place by a twat whose name I can’t recall now and the Play off game where knobend played a donkey up front. Had we won that they would have been in administration. Fucking do em.
It was Woody and Keeley that were sent off at Burnley by Kevin McNally in March 1978. John Flynn and Bobby Campbell (also Oldham's Ronnie Blair) got sent off at Oldham in December 1977

It was Woody and Keeley that were sent off at Burnley by Kevin McNally in March 1978. John Flynn and Bobby Campbell (also Oldham's Ronnie Blair) got sent off at Oldham in December 1977

Thanks Silent. Mc bastard Nally. The only referee to ever cause me to invade a pitch. Cheating little gnome.

was at both those games ... brought a shiver down my spine those memories!!

obligatory weekly Times prematch article:

Why is it so hard to imagine Chris Wilder or Sean Dyche thriving at one of the elite clubs?

(James Gheerbrant)

This Saturday, there are eight fixtures in the Premier League, that shiny altar to sporting internationalism. But, to paraphrase the Sesame Street song, one of these games is not like the others.

Sheffield United v Burnley will be contested by teams who have given, respectively, 97.9 per cent and 72.8 per cent of their minutes this season to British and Irish players (in a league where the other 18 teams average 38.9 per cent) and whose captains were born a combined distance of about 30 miles from their home grounds. It will be played at a stadium that bears no sponsor name and has been in use since 1889, and it will be played, at least in part, in the airspace above the Bramall Lane pitch — these are the only teams to have hit more than 19 per cent of their passes long this season.

What makes Sheffield United v Burnley so fascinating is precisely the fact that it goes against so much of what we think the modern Premier League is about: globalisation; cosmopolitanism; the inescapable tide of market forces; a two-dimensional, televisual style of football played on perfectly manicured green carpets. It is, in some ways, a throwback. But the men in the dugout are not regressive relics; instead, they are in the vanguard of English coaches.

You could be forgiven for mentally lumping Sean Dyche and Chris Wilder together; there are a lot of similarities. A husky baritone, a long but undistinguished playing career, an unapologetically old-school pastoral approach and a cultural emphasis on graft, honesty and standards. Dyche’s views on diving are common knowledge, as is his Burnley training-ground ban on gloves, hats and snoods; Wilder forbade his Sheffield United players from swapping shirts against Liverpool, and at Oxford United required his young players to type up a dossier on their opponents, which he would send back if it contained grammatical mistakes. Underlying the methods of both men is a layer of steely machismo: Dyche’s regime of forfeits includes a dip in the River Calder; during his half-time team-talk against Leicester City, Wilder ripped off his shirt.

It would be easy to ridicule this approach, even to demonise it. So the first thing that bears saying about Dyche and Wilder is that they are both, without caveat, doing an excellent job. This season, Sheffield United rank a highly respectable 14th in the Premier League for non-penalty expected goal difference (xG), which measures the quality of chances a side creates minus the quality of chances they concede, and thus accurately quantifies a team’s underlying performance level. Burnley are fifth, above Manchester United and Arsenal, and would probably be fourth if Leicester hadn’t played 125 minutes against ten men this season.

There are some important stylistic differences between Burnley and Sheffield United, but broadly it is fair to say that Dyche and Wilder have thrived by taking some of the more overlooked, unfashionable, perhaps even traditionally English elements of the game and subjecting them to the same sort of innovative rigour that elite clubs might devote to counterpressing or co-ordinated passing movements.

A large part of Burnley’s success, for example, is that they consistently have the lowest xG per shot in the league: in other words, they ensure that the chances they concede are low-quality by forcing their opponents to head the ball, shoot from distance or through a crowd of bodies. It doesn’t sound like rocket science, but to pull it off to that degree of excellence requires immense positional sophistication.

With Sheffield United, much attention has been lavished on their overlapping centre backs, a genuinely novel tactical ploy. But it is also true that Wilder, since his Northampton Town days, has been arguably the most imaginative war-gamer of set-piece situations in English football, devising intricate routines with blockers and decoy runners to turn low-percentage scoring opportunities into high-percentage ones.

The other thing with Dyche and Wilder is that they are excellent communicators, who are brilliant at conveying to players, and supporters, precisely what their team stand for. Speaking last month, Aidy Boothroyd, the England Under-21 manager, nutshelled the magic of Dyche’s Burnley in six words: “You know exactly what they are.” At a time when so many of the Premier League’s better-resourced teams — Arsenal, Everton, West Ham United — are indistinct ghost ships with no compelling USP and only a tenuous grip on their fans’ imaginations, the value of being able to construct a pin-sharp identity has never been clearer.

You can’t really talk about Burnley or Sheffield United’s identity without talking about their unusual degree of national homogeneity. Plainly, such a pronounced anglophone bias is unlikely to be coincidental, and that lack of diversity has uncomfortable connotations. In their squad construction, Dyche and Wilder are playing on clarity of communication — in a polyglot league, can you gain an edge by minimising the language barriers through which your message is refracted? — and also on historical precedent. Look up the Burnley or Sheffield United squads on Wikipedia, look down the column of flags by each name and you could almost be looking at one of the all-conquering Liverpool or Nottingham Forest teams of the 1970s or 80s.

In a lot of what these two managers do, there are echoes of another time and place in British life. Wilder was raised in Stocksbridge, ten miles from Sheffield, by working-class Liverpudlian parents; Dyche’s mother worked in a shoe factory in Kettering. “I have an affinity with shoes because I grew up where I did and even as a kid I always had hand-made leather shoes, so it’s an appreciation,” he told the Lancashire Telegraph in 2014. “Then a pair of shoes would last 20 years.” You can see the imprint of these values in the way that Dyche and Wilder coach, I think: an emphasis on craftsmanship and industry at a time when the drift in football coaching is towards automation and almost robotic synchrony.

Of course, the million-dollar question with Dyche and Wilder is whether they could succeed in a bigger job. Take them out of their environment, and put them in charge of a huge budget, a multinational squad, a global fanbase with certain stylistic expectations, and could they still excel? It is hard to imagine — for some reason, they just don’t feel like Arsenal or Manchester United managers, say.

But then again, all those same doubts applied in December 2017 when Ajax appointed Erik ten Hag, a coach with a journeyman playing background, an unfashionable regional accent and an aversion to soaring rhetoric, who might easily have seemed too small-town and too small-time for such an iconic post. Two years on, Ten Hag is established as one of the best coaches in European football. An elite coach does not always look or sound how we may expect. We wonder whether Dyche or Wilder can make the jump; but perhaps the leap is ours to make.

With games coming at a slower rate than we've been accustomed to over the last few years, we've so far managed to stay relatively injury free. Seems we might be carrying a couple of knocks though from last week as we prepare to face Burnley at BDBL. This being as tough as any game we've played so far at home for different reasons compared to Liverpool of course, albeit with them yet to win on the road. A totally different challenge, as they are clearly well managed, hard to beat, and tactically astute. They are also very solid, while clearly capable of scoring a few too....

So...

Any team news? :)

Presumably Robinson is one of the 'couple' struggling?

Mousset to be given the starting role?

Sharp perhaps?

McBurnie has to feature this afternoon at some point....?

Some have suggested we are similar to the Burnley of a couple of seasons ago. Not in style of play particularly but hard to beat and 1000% committed everywhere, though particularly in defence. I can't say I know how Burnley set up their team back then, but if we achieve the same longevity in the PL then I'm prepared to accept the comparison...

Anyway really tough game, hard to predict. Would obviously love the win but got a sneaky feeling for 1-1. I think either Sharp or McBurnie will find the net today....

UTB

Like an 8 year old desperately hoping that the racquet shaped birthday present, is actually a PlayStation, I hope we play a CAM with 2 Strikers today.

With games coming at a slower rate than we've been accustomed to over the last few years, we've so far managed to stay relatively injury free. Seems we might be carrying a couple of knocks though from last week as we prepare to face Burnley at BDBL. This being as tough as any game we've played so far at home for different reasons compared to Liverpool of course, albeit with them yet to win on the road. A totally different challenge, as they are clearly well managed, hard to beat, and tactically astute. They are also very solid, while clearly capable of scoring a few too....

So...

Any team news? :)

Presumably Robinson is one of the 'couple' struggling?

Mousset to be given the starting role?

Sharp perhaps?

McBurnie has to feature this afternoon at some point....?

Some have suggested we are similar to the Burnley of a couple of seasons ago. Not in style of play particularly but hard to beat and 1000% committed everywhere, though particularly in defence. I can't say I know how Burnley set up their team back then, but if we achieve the same longevity in the PL then I'm prepared to accept the comparison...

Anyway really tough game, hard to predict. Would obviously love the win but got a sneaky feeling for 1-1. I think either Sharp or McBurnie will find the net today....

UTB

It's the team that picks itself this starting is Chris first 11 barring Injury
Henderson
Baldock bash Egan joc stevens
Lunny Norwood fleck
Mcgoldrick
Mousset

Alastair Campbell will be cheering on Burnley.
Screenshot_20191102_080005_com.android.chrome.jpg

Burnley don't give up many goalscoring chances. Chelsea getting 4 last week was way above their xG. We are also very tight in defence so this could very well end up 0-0, which I'd be very happy with. I'm expecting McBurnie up top with Didsy to add some physicality and get on the end of the many crosses that will fly in today 👍

I thought their keeper could have saved 3 of Chelsea's goals last weekend. Looks particularly poor with ground shots.

Back
Top Bottom