Player Suggestion Championship players you'd buy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

hector can't pass wind and Gayle is exactly the kind of douchebag we don't need

Have I missed summat? Why do people dislike Gayle?
And it wouldn't be Hector's range of passing that I'd be interested in. He defends well.

Kyle Walker, Harry McGuire, Gary Cahill, David Brooks, Jags, Che Adams, Kyle Naughton, Mat Lowton....?

(Not quite ‘championship’ players to buy as the OP asks, but perhaps if Carlsberg did transfer windows these might add some prem experience to the squad of 25....! )

The sad reality is that Aston Villa will have first dibs from the promoted sides on all these players if the squeeze up through the play offs, because they'll end up throwing more money around and are simply much more famous, that's why I'm supporting West Brom and Derby if the top 6 remains as is.
Villa won't win playoffs

Doesn't the PL window close before the first game of the season now? Also no loan to buy in January malarkey after the window closes.

Footballer in diving shocker!

None worse than Maddison at Leicester - the sending off of Maitand-Niles should be reviewed and Maddison giving a retrospective ban.

Danny Murphy on MOTD2 hopefully with his comments plus others at SKY will make the FA look at the decision.

UTB

Is McBurnie really that good? Any time I've had the misfortune of seeing him go up against really good defenders with Scotland he has looked decidedly ropey... As in I'd rather Steven Naismith was on instead ropey. I couldn't see him cutting it in the Premier League.

anyone that doesn't want a player because he costs £15 - £20 million ought to go and watch non league with the rest of the amateurs.

Shame I didn't save your quote from the beginning of the season when you said our current squad were only average
players.

We won't spend much. We'll be relying our existing guys to step up.

McBurnie could be useful, would be similar to what Madine gave us this year.

Some interesting suggestions on here. Lets say our budget will be £20m as a conservative estimate or £30m as a generous estimate - still not much by Prem standards but can't imagine we'll spend any more than that.

Seems a few want Che Adams. Totally understandable but he'll set the buying club back about £17-£20m I'd guess. Can't see us spending that on one player - that could be almost the whole budget gone! Same for Maupay and for Bowen.

Tyrone Mings is a great shout as a player but correct me if I'm wrong, he's a left sided centre back? I believe he plays there for Villa but if we played him as a left wing back then that would mean Enda is out of the team and I think Enda deserves to start given how well he's done this season.

One or two suggested Forestieri?! Seriously?! A total prima donna who only play only plays when he wants - and he's injured half the time.

Jota from Birmingham has gone off the boil there, he doesn't even start at the minute, but he certainly does have class and would be affordable. Wilder's always rated him from his comments, but I'd prefer someone who's shone this season. Sergio Canos from Brentford looks really good, but I believe that he's inconsistent. We need another number 10 in there and I've not seen enough from Dowell to suggest he's worth re-signing as good as he could be in the future, he's not ready for the PL now.

Ollie McBurnie I think would be a class addition but he'd probably also cost £15 plus, but he's young and improving. He could be worth that, as could Adams but I think the queue for Adams will be much longer than it is for McBurnie, because Adams has considerable pace and has been linked with some big clubs this season. I can't see him choosing us over an established PL team.

I think Madine for £3m initial fee or so would be a decent shout as he offers us the target man option.

Dwight Gayle a few have mentioned. No, not good enough for the PL and known to be a trouble maker.

Joe Lolley's a decent player but not sure he's PL class, same with Freeman. I can see us going for one of those two though, since they've impressed at this level for a season or more now.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Jay Rodriguez. He could be affordable since West Brom are likely to need to cut costs next season, and he's scored in the PL before. He's 29 though and not much sell on value as its always nice to make a profit later down the line.

Anyway that's my thoughts, probably crap but UTB and what a weekend! The current squad deserve a crack at staking a first team case in most cases, we just need that bit of PL quality to add to an already decent team, I don't think we're far off already to be honest.

Is McBurnie really that good? Any time I've had the misfortune of seeing him go up against really good defenders with Scotland he has looked decidedly ropey... As in I'd rather Steven Naismith was on instead ropey. I couldn't see him cutting it in the Premier League.
For Scotland. That is your answer. Look at him for Swansea in the championship and more specifically the 2 games against us. Imo was the best player on the pitch in those 2 games and scored winning goals in both as well. Also cw clearly rates him highly

Some good shouts on this thread, as an up and coming player I'd take Ebere Eze from QPR. Someone who was possibly cheap maybe Sammy Ameobi from Bolton

Thinking about it, I reckon we could ideally do with 2 Strikers, 1 Attacking Mid, 1 Keeper, 1 Wing Back and 1 Defender for the first team, which if we shop in the Championship we're looking at £50m bare minimum, but if we're talking Maupay, McBurnie, Deano as permanent, we'd easily blow £50m on just those 3!

We don't have any international scouting to speak of, so we'll struggle to find any cheap gems abroad. We might have to even start looking in League One as well to add depth to the squad.

At least we've got a manager who has the ability to pull off a miracle.

Thinking about it, I reckon we could ideally do with 2 Strikers, 1 Attacking Mid, 1 Keeper, 1 Wing Back and 1 Defender for the first team, which if we shop in the Championship we're looking at £50m bare minimum, but if we're talking Maupay, McBurnie, Deano as permanent, we'd easily blow £50m on just those 3!

We don't have any international scouting to speak of, so we'll struggle to find any cheap gems abroad. We might have to even start looking in League One as well to add depth to the squad.

At least we've got a manager who has the ability to pull off a miracle.

that's far too sensible - the amount of players some are suggesting is bonkers. For sure we might need them, doesn't mean to say we can afford them.

A dose of realism is needed as to what will end up coming in.

UTB

that's far too sensible - the amount of players some are suggesting is bonkers. For sure we might need them, doesn't mean to say we can afford them.

A dose of realism is needed as to what will end up coming in.

UTB
It'll be interesting to see the list of out of contract/released players from the Premier League in a few weeks.

It'll be interesting to see the list of out of contract/released players from the Premier League in a few weeks.

Indeed and we need to say nothing more than Martin Cranie, who may go down as one of if not the best out of contract player we've taken on.

Who ever is on that list has to be of interest to CW et al - our budget will mean we have to look for the next gem or two. Picking off that type of list may mean we can spend a considerable amount on a striker which probably starts at £20m !

UTB

But anybody saying we cannot even afford to get top CHAMPIONSHIP players from Brentford deserves the relegation they'll get.

Its not that we can't afford them, it's more that we'll probabaly be unwilling to spend such a big chunk of our budget on one player.

Players like Maupay, Canos, Benrahma, James, Bowen is where we should be looking, and anyone that doesn't want a player because he costs £15 - £20 million ought to go and watch non league with the rest of the amateurs.

Not sure what Canos or Benrahma will cost but I think it's safe to assume that Bowen and Maupay will likely be at least £20m each.

If we assume/hope we spend a simalar amount of money as Cardiff have done (around £45m) then we'll have practically used our entire budget on 2 players.

We need to add players that if the worst happens (we flop and are relegated) we have a strong base to compete at the top of the Championship again.

Reactions: AJS
We need Speed and lots of it to cover our backs when over loading.

James at Swansea stands out. If he was going to go to Leeds then surely the Prem is a more desirable destination.

I liked the look of that Luca Modric kid at Bolton. Reckon he will end up in a top Premiership club eventually. I also think Olivier Ntcham from Celtic could improve our midfield.
Luca Connell? Modric is a bit out of United's reach I think

Back
Top Bottom