Player Suggestion Championship players you'd buy

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Unfortunately too many of these suggestions would be 15-20m players and I don't see us spending that much - nor want us to. At PL level it's going to be difficult for us to repeat our successes unearthing British gems, and I'd love to see our scouting network looking a bit further afield.

Can't see Wilder going big on existing Prem players, likes to shop on a different hight street. Few Championship players worth a punt?

Maupay (Brentford)
McBurnie (Swansea)
James (Swansea)
Freeman (QPR)
Adams (Birmingham)

Others?
first 4 yes Adam's no , Watkins and canos from Brentford as well plus test Leeds resolve with Hernandez if they don't go up
cover c/back plus cover for Norwood ( jags could be a punt to cover both )

outs
C/W will be ruthless he has shown that Alex Ferguson streak already

I’d have a punt on Fernando Forestieri, a bit leftfield but he would be tailor made for our system and the pigs would hate it

He's a twat though. He could have the talent of Messi and I still wouldn't want him.

Wouldn't pass Wilder's nobhead test anyway.

My initial thoughts are with bromtom on this, however considering how I felt when I heard Madine was signing I could be swayed regarding any character test, provided Wilder was happy.

That being said I just think he is massively overrated anyway.

McBurnie
Maupey (I don't think he is a Wilder sort of player)
Jota
Canos
Ryan Woods
Watkins
Bowen
Daniel Jonhson
Daniel James

I'd see if we could get Reece James or Mason Mount on loan.

Can't see Wilder going big on existing Prem players, likes to shop on a different hight street. Few Championship players worth a punt?

Maupay (Brentford)
McBurnie (Swansea)
James (Swansea)
Freeman (QPR)
Adams (Birmingham)

Others?

Only one I’d buy of that list is Maupay....he’s an excellent striker and would be the ideal competition to Billy..he’d do well in the prem as he’s naturally athelitic, tricky and scores from all over.

Why, we're a Premier League club, we can have whoever we want from fucking Brentford if we make the right offer

Don't think it quite works like that. We're certainly able to do what B'mouth did with us over Brooks, but it really depends whether Wilder is given the level of support that will make this type of difference. One thing to remember, not to follow Fulham's example and make wholesale changes.

If Villa aren't promoted I'd consider Mings. Maybe not what some would consider but he's no-nonsense and capable, and maybe we'll need that sort of player?

These lot will be championship players next season:

Mooy
Billing (LF)
Kongolo (LF)
Cairney (LF)
Mawson (poss LF & RF)
Chambers
Etheridge
Arter (LF)

Don't think it quite works like that. We're certainly able to do what B'mouth did with us over Brooks, but it really depends whether Wilder is given the level of support that will make this type of difference. One thing to remember, not to follow Fulham's example and make wholesale changes.

If Villa aren't promoted I'd consider Mings. Maybe not what some would consider but he's no-nonsense and capable, and maybe we'll need that sort of player?

Well yes it does work like that.
We've been told for years that lower placed clubs cannot stand in the way of a player moving to a higher placed club
We took Egan from Brentford and they finished higher than us last year.

The money is available for the likes of Maupay, McBurnie, James, Henderson, Bowen, but obviously not for MBappe, Messi and Ronaldo.

And if It's not available for fairly modest players we don't belong up there in the first place

I’d have a punt on Fernando Forestieri, a bit leftfield but he would be tailor made for our system and the pigs would hate it

A striker that has scored 5 goals this season and 5 goals the season before?
A 5 goal/season Championship striker on £50k/week?
A person who refused to board the coach for an away game as he found out another player was being paid more?
A bad apple to ruin the unity of our amazing team spirit?

McBurnie
Abrahams on loan if Villa don't go up.
Fer - we'll need some grit in the middle next season
Bowen
Cooper - Millwall or
Mings - beast to-day against Weeds
Bell - Blackburn LB cover

I'd also go and get Jamal back as cover for Henderson we'll need two good goalkeepers competing next season.

Left field signing not championship yet but Matthew Clarke 22 at Portsmouth would be perfect cover for JOC. LCB who plays like Jack in a four at the back. Look out for him in the play offs.

Well yes it does work like that.
We've been told for years that lower placed clubs cannot stand in the way of a player moving to a higher placed club
We took Egan from Brentford and they finished higher than us last year.

The money is available for the likes of Maupay, McBurnie, James, Henderson, Bowen, but obviously not for MBappe, Messi and Ronaldo.

And if It's not available for fairly modest players we don't belong up there in the first place

I forgot, you're immensely clever and know far more than anyone else. You must have moments when your insightful skills seem underappreciated, cos they're not on here.

I forgot, you're immensely clever and know far more than anyone else. You must have moments when your insightful skills seem underappreciated, cos they're not on here.

Unlike some I don't come here to be appreciated
But anybody saying we cannot even afford to get top CHAMPIONSHIP players from Brentford deserves the relegation they'll get.

It'll be a shame for the rest though

Unlike some I don't come here to be appreciated
But anybody saying we cannot even afford to get top CHAMPIONSHIP players from Brentford deserves the relegation they'll get.

It'll be a shame for the rest though

I'll repeat, of course we can consider gifted players in the Championship, what we cannot do is presume, as you're doing, that the funds will be there.

Whether you've noticed or not, the boardroom argument regarding who owns the club will determine much about the future of this club. Think about the implications of this, don't pontificate, just consider what a new owner might do if they attempt to pocket much of the funds that ideally should be directed towards Wilder or the infrastructure of the club? You've no idea what funds Wilder will have, so attempts to suggest otherwise are empty and pointless.

Maupay
Canas
J Lolley
O mcburnie
J Bowen
J Rodriguez
T Mings
J McGinn

Unfortunately too many of these suggestions would be 15-20m players and I don't see us spending that much - nor want us to. At PL level it's going to be difficult for us to repeat our successes unearthing British gems, and I'd love to see our scouting network looking a bit further afield.

Don't be so daft half the Premiership are ex Sheffield united players!

Maupay and Benrahma (how ever you spell). New striker and AM

will we need 2 good strikers , which will be difficult to get hold of. And a couple of quality midfielders and.... you could go on. But more athletic players are needed up top and in the middle

The sad reality is that Aston Villa will have first dibs from the promoted sides on all these players if the squeeze up through the play offs, because they'll end up throwing more money around and are simply much more famous, that's why I'm supporting West Brom and Derby if the top 6 remains as is.

If Aston Villa get promoted they'll be looking elsewhere
Players like Maupay, Canos, Benrahma, James, Bowen is where we should be looking, and anyone that doesn't want a player because he costs £15 - £20 million ought to go and watch non league with the rest of the amateurs.
I'm sure they are the type of players that your club will be looking at also, but unfortunately some of our fans still think it's 1975

If Aston Villa get promoted they'll be looking elsewhere
Players like Maupay, Canos, Benrahma, James, Bowen is where we should be looking, and anyone that doesn't want a player because he costs £15 - £20 million ought to go and watch non league with the rest of the amateurs.
I'm sure they are the type of players that your club will be looking at also, but unfortunately some of our fans still think it's 1975

Allegedly £20m is our entire transfer budget in the summer (for transfer fees), and having signed Krul, Pukki and Zimmermann on free transfers, Buenda and Leitner for £1.5m each, and Vrancic for £600k..... and having watched Fulham spend £100m on going backwards... I'm perfectly happy with that.

Last summer we had to raise £30m in transfer fees to keep ourselves out of administration (our Sporting director has just told us that).

We've got to pay a £10m bonus to players, £5m back to fans who bought £5m worth of bonds to keep our Category 1 status a year ago (clause which says repaid in one go upon promotion), and repay an overdraft which I think stood at £8m at some point this season....

..... and in the knowledge that you actually get the TV money in two installments so get half of it in January (little known fact), I'll trust Webber and Farke.

Suspect none of you or I will have heard of whoever we sign this summer. In fact I doubt we'll sign anymore than 4 players anyway.

Why bother fostering this great team spirit only to wreck it by having an overhaul and releasing big characters from the squad.

Personally I think we'll be doing our business on the continent again and be targeting players in the German, Spanish and French leagues.

Why spend £20m on Jarrod Bowen when you can find a Buendia from the Spanish second tier for £1.5m.

Or why spend £40m on Jack Grealish when Leicester signed Mahrez from the French second tier.

Not sure why we'd suddenly abandon our transfer policy and put our financial stability in jeopardy again start over paying for players from mid-table Championship side or Premier League squad players like Naismith who almost crippled us.

We've already owned Canos anyway.... was in a big hump because he didn't go straight in the side at 19 so we flogged him to Brentford within a few months of buying him from Liverpool. So good luck with that one, wouldn't fit into our ethos with that attitude. Plus he's always blowing at 60 or 70 minutes and being hauled off by Brentford for running out of gas.

Last edited:
Positions we need to strengthen in - RWB, CM, AM, CF x 2.

So for that - I would look at:

RWB - James/Chelsea (LOAN)
CM - Ryan Wood/Stoke , Fer/Swansea
AM - Bowen/Hull , Robinson/PNE
CF - Adams/Birmingham , Abraham/Chelsea (LOAN), Wilson/Liverpool (LOAN)

Although personally I could see us being priced out of all the loan signings, Adams & Fer.

Allegedly £20m is our entire transfer budget in the summer (for transfer fees), and having signed Krul, Pukki and Zimmermann on free transfers, Buenda and Leitner for £1.5m each, and Vrancic for £600k..... and having watched Fulham spend £100m on going backwards... I'm perfectly happy with that.

Last summer we had to raise £30m in transfer fees to keep ourselves out of administration (our Sporting director has just told us that).

We've got to pay a £10m bonus to players, £5m back to fans who bought £5m worth of bonds to keep our Category 1 status a year ago (clause which says repaid in one go upon promotion), and repay an overdraft which I think stood at £8m at some point this season....

..... and in the knowledge that you actually get the TV money in two installments so get half of it in January (little known fact), I'll trust Webber and Farke.

Suspect none of you or I will have heard of whoever we sign this summer. In fact I doubt we'll sign anymore than 4 players anyway.

Why bother fostering this great team spirit only to wreck it by having an overhaul and releasing big characters from the squad.

Personally I think we'll be doing our business on the continent again and be targeting players in the German, Spanish and French leagues.

Why spend £20m on Jarrod Bowen when you can find a Buendia from the Spanish second tier for £1.5m.

Or why spend £40m on Jack Grealish when Leicester signed Mahrez from the French second tier.

Not sure why we'd suddenly abandon our transfer policy and put our financial stability in jeopardy again start over paying for players from mid-table Championship side or Premier League squad players like Naismith who almost crippled us.

We've already owned Canos anyway.... was in a big hump because he didn't go straight in the side at 19 so we flogged him to Brentford within a few months of buying him from Liverpool. So good luck with that one, wouldn't fit into our ethos with that attitude. Plus he's always blowing at 60 or 70 minutes and being hauled off by Brentford for running out of gas.

Yes, we wouldn't buy players that have a poor attitude. The players I listed seem to have a good attitude without the billy big bolox.
I knew Canos had been with Norwich but didn't know about his attitude, maybe it's still the same, maybe he's grown up a bit.

If he was a player we were interested in Wilder would have him sussed out in 5 minutes, if he hasn't already.

As far as United are concerned there is no European Continent, it doesn't exist, and South America may as well be a region on the west side of Jupiter, so we will always have to either pay over the odds for players already playing in England or we'll have to find bargains that nobody else has noticed. I find it very strange that one of the first clubs to bring a South American to play in this country has absolutely zero links to foreign talent.

Back
Top Bottom