If we don't go up this season what will happen ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Regardless of whether Wilder is well backed or not, few PLclubs will go for an untried boss.

Likewise, Chris or United haven't right to expect to be above 4th. WBA, Leeds, Derby, Boro, probably Norwich, Stoke, Forest etc all better resourced.

We're probably all where we ought to be and can expect no more right now.

Let's just put away the lower teams effectively and see where it gets us.

We're in every game and when we lose it's fine margins. Weren't we told we'd be pasted every week?

Regardless of whether Wilder is well backed or not, few PLclubs will go for an untried boss.

Likewise, Chris or United haven't right to expect to be above 4th. WBA, Leeds, Derby, Boro, probably Norwich, Stoke, Forest etc all better resourced.

We're probably all where we ought to be and can expect no more right now.

Let's just put away the lower teams effectively and see where it gets us.

We're in every game and when we lose it's fine margins. Weren't we told we'd be pasted every week?

People keep talking about PL clubs but there are a few clubs in this division who may be willing to match his ambition. Three clubs to come down as well remember.

Same thing that happens every season
It'll be one of the following

1) Brilliant manager continues to get the best out of the players in spite of no help

2) Brilliant manager realises he's gone as far as he can with no help, so standards slip and attitudes slip

3) Brilliant manager leaves for Birmingham or Forest or newly promoted Portsmouth because they promise to support him

4) Bad manager comes in, key members of the squad are ageing, we get relegated

History usually repeats itself

1) Brilliant manager continues to get the best out of the players in spite of no help

2) Brilliant manager realises he's gone as far as he can with no help, so standards slip and attitudes slip

3) Brilliant manager leaves for Birmingham or Forest or newly promoted Portsmouth because they promise to support him

Every season? When was the last time 1-2 or 3 happened?

So another assumption presented as fact, which is based on very little tangible evidence?

Some of this Wilder Will Walk paranoia has really taken hold hasn't it?. Firstly, Wilder does not fit the profile of many Premier League clubs. They are looking to appoint "name coaches". The foreign ones. The ones who have won trophies overseas. The column inches coaches. That's why the same ever decreasing list of names pops up when there is a vacancy. The Premier League Millions means that owners will not take chances on managerial appointments. Some odd, lippy bloke from a place apparently called Sheffield will be well off their radar. They're sat at home, thousands of miles from Sheffield. The TV is full of games from Spain, Italy, France & Germany. They've heard of Lampard, Gerrard, Campbell, Terry. Appointing them gives them a hard on. Wilder? Who?

Wilder will be a brave man to just Walk from The Lane without another job lined up. To sit on his arse. With Homes Under The Hammer on. And the Blue Bin to put out. Hoping that West Ham will give him a ring. He walks from us. He's taking a chance. After a few months of flounce, maybe Bradford City will come calling. He'll have time to hone the speech "I know money is tight, but this is a new challenge for me..." Ditto, Sunderland.

If he leaves. He leaves. He wasn't putting the cones out when I was first a Blade. He won't be mugging in front of a Radio Sheffield Microphone when I take my last breath as a Blade. Hired Hands. I like the bloke. He's got the team playing great stuff. Thoroughly enjoyable. But, vast swathes of Social Media Blades seem to think he's one heartbeat from moving elsewhere. No he isn't....

Why are you assuming that Wilder can only leave if it's for a Premier League club
Only a maximum of three of Leeds, Forest, Derby, Middlesboro, Stoke, Villa or Swansea can go up.

There'll be some managerial changes at some of those clubs if they don't, and they will back Wilder if they offer him the job

Why are you assuming that Wilder can only leave if it's for a Premier League club
Only a maximum of three of Leeds, Forest, Derby, Middlesboro, Stoke, Villa or Swansea can go up.

There'll be some managerial changes at some of those clubs if they don't, and they will back Wilder if they offer him the job

Pretty much l said earlier in the thread.

Topplayersleave I don't think there's a great deal of difference in what you & I are saying. There is a very limited number of Clubs Wilder could realistically "walk into" to "better himself" at an "ambitious club". Your post has it as four - possibly about right.

Every season? When was the last time 1-2 or 3 happened?

We've had a few managers who've got the best out of the players in spite of the odds, Warnock, Bassett, and now Wilder the most recent

Danny Wilson was probably the last good manager to realise that he's fighting a losing battle, and standards and attitudes dropped leading to him getting fired, a situation that he didn't seem to concerned about. A bit relieved actually

Steve Bruce was a good manager for us and other clubs in spite of his recent record. He made his feelings known about our pathetic boardroom at the time by leaving and joining the massive Huddersfield

We've had a few managers who've got the best out of the players in spite of the odds, Warnock, Bassett, and now Wilder the most recent

Danny Wilson was probably the last good manager to realise that he's fighting a losing battle, and standards and attitudes dropped leading to him getting fired, a situation that he didn't seem to concerned about. A bit relieved actually

Steve Bruce was a good manager for us and other clubs in spite of his recent record. He made his feelings known about our pathetic boardroom at the time by leaving and joining the massive Huddersfield

Not every season then.

At least no one will have to worry about having 500 loyalty points to their name as Leeds will have gone up and Pigs will have gone down.

Every cloud ;)

Get him backed and he will repay the loyalty with Premiership football. Think on Mr Macabe. Europe bound or Fleetwood bound??

Or Fulham bound, they look set for relegation already. How we would enjoy that on here.

Topplayersleave I don't think there's a great deal of difference in what you & I are saying. There is a very limited number of Clubs Wilder could realistically "walk into" to "better himself" at an "ambitious club". Your post has it as four - possibly about right.

Yes we seem to be saying the same thing in a roundabout way
I just don't think a Prem club will come in for Wilder

But a relegated club, could be Huddersfield, Brighton or even a club like Newcastle
They could certainly be added to the Championship big spenders as clubs that could tempt Wilder away

What's the alternative?

Contentment - we are watching the best football we have seen in decades.

Some seem to think that it cannot be good football because we have not spent £ 50 million. :(

But a relegated club, could be Huddersfield, Brighton or even a club like Newcastle
They could certainly be added to the Championship big spenders as clubs that could tempt Wilder away

Are you only ever happy when staff leave the club ?

My expectation of this season was that top 6 would be absolutely amazing and would mean the manager had squeezed every last drop out of the resources at his disposal

So why did the other night feel like such a kick in the balls ?

Though I think that we will all still be down at BDTBL next season with whatever players, manager and division we have.

Fulham seem to be enjoying their promotion and spending all that money.

2wins and 3 draws out of 17 games, why so many are fixated by the 'promised land' beats me.

You are so wrong in so many ways and I cant believe people are liking this , I know what your saying but you cant go through life dreading success , yes if we do go up we will be in a relegation fight with the bottom 7 teams , but you don't have to win many matches in the prem to stop up , and that's what its all about in the first year , just stopping up .
You focus on Fulham , what about Watford , Brighton , Burnley , Crystal palace were as big as any of them and then you have Bournemouth ffs , a club that has brought one of OUR best players , we should hang our heads in shame at that one . Its where we need to be , its where the money is , and a club like us should be there and our supporters deserve it the most too .

I know you like a negative slant but that post sums up my life as a Blade sadly.

So earlier in the season you said that all our players were only average.

Now you say we are not a proper club.

# disbelief.

Our players are average in the context of other Championship players and higher level players being taken into account

When they are judged against League One, League Two, amatuer players and even Sunday League players as some on here were trying to do to twist my comments, they are clearly better than average

But in terms of World football the Championship is an average standard and we are average within it

And let's be right, we've never been run like a proper club.

Again, for the second time, this is 100%, complete nonsense. Where have I suggested any of that?

My expectation of this season was that top 6 would be absolutely amazing and would mean the manager had squeezed every last drop out of the resources at his disposal

So why did the other night feel like such a kick in the balls ?

I felt exactly the same after the game.

I think it was the second half "no show" that got me more than the result.

I felt exactly the same after the game.

I think it was the second half "no show" that got me more than the result.
It looked like the players just gave up ,like they got over confident, conceded a goal and then just gave up

Yes we seem to be saying the same thing in a roundabout way
I just don't think a Prem club will come in for Wilder

As I've said above, I'm on this thread as I'm genuinely interested in which Clubs people have in mind when the Wilder Will Walk Paranoia sets in. Thanks for your suggestions. For me, no, not Newcastle, never. They have an aspirational, clamour fanbase - they already have a name manager. OK, you're talking about if they're relegated. But, for me, Wilder would be Miles Away from fitting the profile & column inches they feel they need.

Contentment - we are watching the best football we have seen in decades.

Some seem to think that it cannot be good football because we have not spent £ 50 million. :(

I appreciate that but we have to strive for the PL, irrespective of how difficult that might be financially.

Managers and players want to play at the highest level they can, and earn as much as they can.

Being content to stand still effectively means going backwards. You don't attract the best you can by having a lack of ambition.

We have no right to reach the PL but a club of our stature has to aspire to it. We're undoubtedly one of most underachieving clubs over decades, and 5 top flight seasons in over 40 years is truly pitiful for a club like ourselves.

I'm 45 and have been watching us since 1981. I would like that one day in the sun as I'm sure many others would.

You are so wrong in so many ways and I cant believe people are liking this , I know what your saying but you cant go through life dreading success , yes if we do go up we will be in a relegation fight with the bottom 7 teams , but you don't have to win many matches in the prem to stop up , and that's what its all about in the first year , just stopping up .
You focus on Fulham , what about Watford , Brighton , Burnley , Crystal palace were as big as any of them and then you have Bournemouth ffs , a club that has brought one of OUR best players , we should hang our heads in shame at that one . Its where we need to be , its where the money is , and a club like us should be there and our supporters deserve it the most too .

Sums a lot of Blades up completely
Scared of even the smallest level of risk however well calculated and managed

The plan might have worked too if it wasn't for those pesky ambitious clubs

Back
Top Bottom