Outgoing? O’Connell to Brighton

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The only thing I could think of that would work in our favour is as much as I love jack as a player - Duffy and dunk was a quality PL partnership last year - I’m not quite sure jack breaks that up... he knows he’s a key player here.

Keeping everything crossed that the club do the right thing and keep this side together. We should look to sign someone soon, show some ambition and give the squad a reason to think positively about the next season. Selling our assets doesn’t do that and we risk sleep walking to the drop again - we certainly won’t be challenging the play offs

Following the sale of Brooks, any sales of key players this window will say much about the ambition of our owners and our manager's position. Learn to say no!
Fuck brooks. He was a bit part player. O'Connell and fleck are integral players to how we play.

The quote from his tweet:—-
Brighton. In for Jack O’Connor at Sheff U. Talking 5-6m. Switched to him after Moore snubs. If wages offer good might be difficult for Blades to fight it. Bit in paper hopefully.

They may be interested, I do not doubt that clubs are interested in a lot if our players.
Have we indicated that a bid is being considered?
Has J O C indicated he wants to go?
Has the quoted figure been accepted ?

Interest in players is what happens all the time, clubs sounding out players, their agents and their clubs, no,indication that it is going ahead

Was just going to say, if anything stupid happens we can't just conveniently blame the owners or 'the club'. It will be Chris Wilder who accepts any offers - certainly now we've got that money for Brooks.

Let's just pray he hasn't got Little Sheffielder Syndrome.
I'll be in the car park if vital players are sold off under the excuse "we couldn't keep him" "he wanted to go"

Unfortunately Nixon is pretty clued up, he said Bournemouth were after Brooks months back.

Because they were. They put an offer in in November. He's not a soothsayer, he can read though.

I reckon every half decent player we have will be going to every lower mid table or newly promoted prem team now, seems like we're Twatters favourite at the mo.

While I'm here I'll start the rumours.

Leon to Cardiff
Freeman to Everton
LEvans to Newcastle
Baldock to Brighton to be with his bro

Ironically I wouldn't bet against Bournemouth & Brighton getting relegated next season.

Guess they'll still be on £20k+ which they'll never get here...

I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over fucking Alan Nixon gossip.

However if for some warped reason we did sell JOC for £5 million to the PL, I'd be seriously apoplectic after being quite chilled over the Brooks deal.

If this by some chance happens to be true, I wonder if this bid has been lodged for a while and this is why we are in for Egan?

We’ve done the right thing in getting these boys tied to long term contracts - that’s a two way street....

Reward them but expect them not to kick up a fuss if a move comes in for them until it becomes insane and WE choose to accept. That’s 15-20m in this market. It’s on us to resist these offers - do the right thing by the fans for once and keep a promising squad together.

Who can we afford that’s better than O’Connell - NO ONE!! we probably can’t even spend all the money because we rightly can’t pay big wages - a sale only makes us worse.

When the big dogs come calling...

I'm going in the woods round Brighton with a couple of sirloins laced with drain cleaner. Try and off these big dogs, the twats.

Ironically I wouldn't bet against Bournemouth & Brighton getting relegated next season.

Guess they'll still be on £20k+ which they'll never get here...

This is where we've got a problem. They're 20k p/w players all day long and they know it. Yet we're not going to pay it.

We have to think about raising our wage ceiling I'm afraid. There's no way around it if we want to go up.

There's no point being able to spend a £5m fee if you can barely pay them 15k p/w.

This Brooks money could be used partly to fund increased wages. And then we can adjust future squad sizes around it.

Wilder has stated that no other player has expressed a wish to leave.
If they are attracted by higher wages and the potential,of premiership football and demand the right to be released from their contract as was the case with Brooks, then we have no option other than to negotiate a deal to maximise the fee and wish them all the best in their new job.
Until then things remain as they were

Unfortunately Nixon is pretty clued up, he said Bournemouth were after Brooks months back.
He may be clued up as regards Brighton wanting him, but he isn't clued up on our response. Our attitude should be 'thanks for your interest, it's nice that you obviously rate him so highly, but so do we, and he is under a long contract, and simply not for sale, at any price' !

A lot needs to happen before the possibility of him leaving but..

If he does go we need some solid reinvestment. He is a fantastic player but still young and bound to improve, thus demanding a competitive price above 6 million.

If we replace him, and Brooks likewise, with league one guff. Likewise to January, I can only see us going backward and not forward sadly. We are primed with the Brooks money to hold onto are current players and add more quality. I hope we show some resolve if Brighton make a bid.

In terms of him going, why wouldn’t he? Brighton are currently a Premier League side built upon defence prowess in their bid for survival. It’s a good career move if out for Jack at a club that suit his attributes. I’d love to see us try everything to keep him and hope we do.

Before anybody calls Nixon out for been full of shit, I heard the exact same thing earlier today from somebody close to the club, he has been bang on the money previously. I just shook my head when he told me.

Anyway, I'm just off to listen to some music to calm down from this news...

“Hey siri, play History Repeating by the propellerheads”

This is where we've got a problem. They're 20k p/w players all day long and they know it. Yet we're not going to pay it.

We have to think about raising our wage ceiling I'm afraid. There's no way around it if we want to go up.

There's no point being able to spend a £5m fee if you can barely pay them 15k p/w.

This Brooks money could be used partly to fund increased wages. And then we can adjust future squad sizes around it.

This is a good point - 10m is 3 x £20k per week players worh a 3 year contract. We need to be able to incentivise these players to stay when we can’t fucking replace them with anywhere near the same quality.

If he wants to go, like Brooks he'll almost certainly end up leaving.
Part of our problem when it comes to keeping players is how is the club showing we're genuinely trying to get to the Prem?
We've acquired a youth keeper from Man U and that's it. Not likely to convince ambitious players we're taking the coming season that seriously.

In some ways, that was why last year really was our one and only shot at promotion - with this bunch of players.

You're right: O'Connell, Brooks, Coutts, Fleck, Baldock - all guys who have shown they're top end Championship/Lower PL quality where the going rate is £20k a week.

Sadly, if we're going to spend a few years around the top of the Championship we're either going to have to pay the going rate or run the risk of this happening more and more.

If you hang round in expensive bars, with flash friends, you do have to buy the odd round of drinks!!

This would be a huge loss. Huge. Trouble is, if they're going to triple his wages he may be tempted to leave.

He may be clued up as regards Brighton wanting him, but he isn't clued up on our response. Our attitude should be 'thanks for your interest, it's nice that you obviously rate him so highly, but so do we, and he is under a long contract, and simply not for sale, at any price' !

But why didn't we say that about Brooks?

Part of our problem when it comes to keeping players is how is the club showing we're genuinely trying to get to the Prem?

Was also going to mention this.

Don't be surprised now, after Brooks leaving, if others decide we're going nowhere and the domino effect begins.

The players train with Brooks every day. They know how good he is. They may have thought he was absolutely key to us next season.

This would be a huge loss. Huge. Trouble is, if they're going to triple his wages he may be tempted to leave.
He signed a new contract in November, he was happy to do that, and we can hold him to it IF we choose to.

Back
Top Bottom