Lundstram Heaped with Praise

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Both the Reading and the Lecister fan i brought with me had him as our best player aswell.

Think some of his earlier performances might be clouding people's judgement on here

Exactly this. QPR fan said he was a very good player yesterday too. It’s amazing how we don’t see a good player right in front of our face.

I think he has won 4 man man of the matches in the home games now?

I don’t think any of our players were particularly brilliant last night.

Most were just OK or good.
So the goal scorer is always going to be a strong contender.
I’d have given MOM the match to Lundstram but no one massively stood out to me.

Lunny did well but visibly tired just before the hour mark then dropped his levels. Put a shift and half in Friday too which probably caught up with him as he hasn't been playing.

Great finish for his goal too.

Thought he did ok last night, nothing more, nothing less. The Star have singled him out as our Star Man?!?

I thought Lee Evans had a better game tbh and I think the back 3 should have got a lot more praise.

I don't want to slag the lad off but he's still not done enough to keep Fleck out on Friday.

The back three all got 8/10, the same mark as Lundstram, and Evans was decent but certainly no better than Lunny - the most two-footed player I can remember at United

We have been spoilt to some degree by Coutts and Fleck as a pair. But that shouldn’t detract from his own performances.
But the facts don’t lie, and as a team we haven’t been as successful with Lunny in the side. We might be finding a way to make it work but up to now that is where we are.

But I agree that it’s a bit daft when you get MOM for simply scoring. But that’s the way we have it, everyone gets to choose,

Thought he did ok last night, nothing more, nothing less. The Star have singled him out as our Star Man?!?

I thought Lee Evans had a better game tbh and I think the back 3 should have got a lot more praise.

I don't want to slag the lad off but he's still not done enough to keep Fleck out on Friday.
Agree, but he’s a young lad adapting to a level he only ever dared dream of in the past.
Mi didn’t like him at all before but you know what? Give the lad a chance. Some of his play is exquisite. His problem is he loves a “safe” pass. Which is why his “pass completion” stats look so good. Any fool can do a 5 yard pass sideways or backwards - I could do that! Let the lad do his stuff where he can do damage because he’s showing to me he’s capable of it.

God forbid we'd never seen Fleck Coutts and Duffy pull on a United shirt then we'd probably all be drooling over him compared to midfielders we've had previous seasons.

Hadn’t done enough to keep Fleck our? Of course he fucking hasn’t but he was an able deputy and played and took his goal well

Hadn’t done enough to keep Fleck our? Of course he fucking hasn’t but he was an able deputy and played and took his goal well
Agreed. May or may not have deserved MOM award, but it is an encouraging sign that the squad now has strength in depth. In September, would we have expected to beat QPR without Coutts and Fleck? We do now.

Not a Lundstrum fan but thought he played well up to scoring then went back to his normal 6/10 (ok but nowt special) ways. Wilder must have agreed as he took him off for Lafferty in the second half. The fact that the manager also bought 3 midfield players into the club in January also speaks volumes about where JL fits in, in the bigger scheme of things at the Lane.

My mine of the motm was Clarke, thought he put a great shift in last night and reading today's papers CW seems to think the same. Also, thought Blackman and JOC played well and all three kept up their performance levels for the full 90+5.

Wilder must have agreed as he took him off for Lafferty in the second half. The fact that the manager also bought 3 midfield players into the club in January also speaks volumes about where JL fits in, in the bigger scheme of things at the Lane.

Pure guesswork & conjecture.

Not a Lundstrum fan but thought he played well up to scoring then went back to his normal 6/10 (ok but nowt special) ways. Wilder must have agreed as he took him off for Lafferty in the second half. The fact that the manager also bought 3 midfield players into the club in January also speaks volumes about where JL fits in, in the bigger scheme of things at the Lane.

My mine of the motm was Clarke, thought he put a great shift in last night and reading today's papers CW seems to think the same. Also, thought Blackman and JOC played well and all three kept up their performance levels for the full 90+5.

He took him off for tactics. He also likes his players to get some applause from the crowd when they have done well, well apart from Clarke.

7/10 performances from Lundstram get lauded as 9/10 performances because people set low standards for him based on his earlier appearances.

He's OK, and he'll get better, but he's behind Coutts and Evans for that role and isn't a suitable replacement for Fleck in that role.

I think we shouldn't fall into the trap of comparing the other midfield players with Couttsy ....... that's not fair as Couttsy is much more experienced and therefore sometimes its down to speed of thought and "vision", rather than just ability. All the new players appear to have good attributes, although we haven't seen much of Holmes yet and I think they bring vital strength in depth to the squad, the lack of which cost us many points in the period after we lost Couttsy to injury.

I thought that the whole team performed "solidly" if not spectacularly on Tuesday night. Did the job professionally, where two months ago; we would have ended up drawing that game through not thinking about what we did.

We seemed to take the foot off the pedal a bit in the second half and by allowing Freeman to run through midfield and get his shot in we let them back in the game ....... when we should have finished them off. I think that's a learning curve for the Manager and team.

I perceive slow but steady progress in the right direction building an effective Championship squad ....... it doesn't happen overnight ....... not unless you have £50m to spend over 18 months !! :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Well done Tufty ...... and on this occasion ..... well done to the Board ( I did say I would eat humble pie and give due credit ) for backing Tufty in January and for NOT selling the family silver cheaply .... ;):D

UTB & FTP

He had a decent game until they scored, not sure about MOM but all abaht opinions...took his goal well.

If he wants to be no.1 choice he’s got a bit of work to do...not sure that he’ll be able to do much re: mobility mind.

Still a young lad, but certainly looking better, almost got rid of the tendency to turn back at every opportunity.

Learning and Confidence I guess

Lundstram's a decent player, his problem is that the way he plays does not fit into the way Wilder wants us to play. He would fit well into a team that loves possession for the sake of it where you stroke it along the back, along midfield and back again until an opening appears sometime in the far future. No criticism of Lundstram here, there's plenty of teams who do this including most of the top flight. United's effectiveness early in the season was the quick one-two-threes combined with forward motion and Lundstram is incapable of fitting into this type of play. The number of times post-Coutts where the ball ended up with him via Fleck or Duffy with Sharp or someone making the darting run in anticipation only for a foot on ball, hesitation and sideways pass instead. It's also for the same reason we are suffering from a rash of what appear to be stupid offsides.

Who wants a bet that Lunny is not in the starting 11 at Hull.

I bet one wagon wheel that he does not start,thats what mom and a goal get you...........dropped.

I think that the different opinions about John Lundstram are simply because we look an entirely different team when he plays.He is a 'safe' midfield player,not prone to the quick and incisive pass,much more deliberate and quite languid in his appearance as a result we look less inventive when he plays.However,i think we may see a little more of him towards the back end of the season as we try to win games rather than 'entertain',the offensive part of our game,that we all love,may be tempered a little to try and get the points we need to get a top six spot.

Back
Top Bottom