Total lack of commercial acumen....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I dont have a problem with us selling out of shirts, its shows another positive sign about our club, however I would expect our buyer(s) at the club to have seen this happening earlier and get orders placed, I presume they only had to ask re delivery time, maybe they did and Adidas said 6/8 weeks and theres nowt we could do about it, I bet if certain clubs were in the same position delivery times would be 2/3 weeks, it the commercial world I'm afraid

Maybe go get one when they're released next time, my lad managed to get one.

This isn't the clubs fault.

This is our last year with Adidas, no?

If it was Macron, Le Coq etc no doubt this would be the end of them, but with our shirts selling so well with Adidas and the obvious jump in quality I think we'll try to extend our deal despite this.

And on another note- the queues last night for a beer!

I noticed that too. I was going to get myself a Bovril but I didn't bother. It's a poor show if we get caught out like that for a friendly game with 7000 fans there. How are we going to cope when there's 27,000 in the ground? Not sure whether it was down to not having enough staff on or something else?

Maybe one for another thread but couldn't help piss myself at the Compass staff last night.

I usually go on the South but went in John St with my lad. Rarely buy food at the ground myself but he wanted a hot dog.

Buy hot dog and go for ketchup sachet. None left and a couple of people at counter asking for more ketchup. Response was 'the bloke who gets the ketchup isn't here at the minute'. Girl appears and reiterates this.

You couldn't make it up :D

It's a tough one this.

The original order is all based on projections. It's near impossible to get that right, but you would expect a huge multinational like Adidas to have to facility to have more shirts deleivered within no longer than 2 weeks...one week should be doable!!

As for any other supplier, this is not unique. And if Adidas are struggling to meet demand for the shirts how the hell could anybody else do better?
Club can't do right for wrong, for first time in a long time they get a shirt that is good, and is like by almost everyone and they are hammered for none being left!! If they had got a shit shirt nobody wanted that would be their fault too.

It's only early in the season. I suspect that anyone who wants a shirt now will still want one next week...next month...xmas.
What might be a good idea would be an incentive to pre order a shirt, thus ensuring you get one and assisting in ordering!
Just a thought

Haven't been to the club shop today but I'm sure there's something wrong there. It's raining in the car park as well.

McCabe, yawn, OUT!

Raining in the car park? fucking hell, means I've got to keep my shoes on then.

Managed to get my lad his shirt a couple of weeks ago.
He wanted Fleck in the back
"Sorry, we are out of A's, L's and E's, try again in a couple of weeks"

There's a Frank Gallagher joke in there somewhere...

Once went to see the doctor when I suddenly stopped being able to pronounce my Fs and Ts even though I'd be trying really hard.
Doc replied, "You can't say fairer than that"

Meanwhile, on the dark side, rumours abound that a Tunaman was seen queuing for a couple of dozen Scotland home shirts following Sheffield City Council Trading Standards raids on several South Yorkshire sweatshops in which quantities of inferior blue and white material were seized.

Earlier a short spell of rain had put paid to the money-saving plan to use copious amounts of woad instead of wearing shirts.Tattoo parlours have been placed on high alert in case the Scottish FA refuse the bulk discount demanded by the Tunaman.

Just been down to the club shop to part with money to buy the boy this season's kit.

Imagine my surprise to discover they've sold out of the home kit in the age we require... Really?

Not to worry, I'll buy him the away kit instead. Nope - not released yet!!! Despite the new season being 10 days away.

Absolutely flabbergasted that I've still got £50 in my pocket and somewhat upset that this side of the club is being run so poorly.
I'm not 100% how our contract works with Adidas, but I didn't think SUFC get much, if anything, from the individual sales? Adidas pay up front for providing our kits, stick our badge on them, provide the merchandise and they take the sales.

Buying a kit only helps SUFC by increasing our bargaining power the next time we're negotiating our deal with the manufacturers, not by putting real money in the clubs coffers via the till.

You could have purchased 2 beach towels with your £50

Not sure it is worth the outlay based on the website picture...

comingsoon.jpg

I am sure we will be amongst the few clubs that will suffer, I am confident other clubs under the adidas banner will be stocked and ready for the new season.
Oddly I was just talking to a Fulham fan. Their kit was released last Friday. Adidas.

Selling out of something suggests half decent commercial acumin to me.

Tbf mate its easy to criticise when you're not in charge of budgets, but for as along as in can remember United have seemingly ordered the basic minimum of everything whether it be catering or merchandise.

Tbf mate its easy to criticise when you're not in charge of budgets, but for as along as in can remember United have seemingly ordered the basic minimum of everything whether it be catering or merchandise.

The catering is provided by Compass. How many more times?

I'm not sure about the above, it's a long time since I worked in either catering or retail but I'll give you 'decent players', 'competent managers' and 'scouts'.

I went to the club shop last night to get a shirt for my sons birthday- was told it could be 4-6 weeks before they get extra stock. Having lots of disappointed customers is not a great way to conduct business in the 21st century. Would Adidas be so slack with perceived larger customers? I think not, and criticism is absolutely justifiable on this occasion.

Having lots of disappointed customers is not a great way to conduct business in the 21st century.

Good point.

I'll ask Mr Wilder to ensure we don't ever lose again then. Nothing like a loss for sending the 'customers' home disappointed, is there?

I went to the club shop last night to get a shirt for my sons birthday- was told it could be 4-6 weeks before they get extra stock. Having lots of disappointed customers is not a great way to conduct business in the 21st century. Would Adidas be so slack with perceived larger customers? I think not, and criticism is absolutely justifiable on this occasion.

So is the criticism of the club signing a deal with Adidas in the first place because we wouldn't be their main priority? I'd have hoped the commercial department would have been aware. Adidas have taken the blame. Does anyone actually know if the delivered all our original order in the first place or gave us only part? They are the ones missing deadlines although shirts have been on sale for a few weeks now.

Which is they should work hard on delivering customer satisfaction in areas they have some control over.

You're entitled to your view but personally I don't give a shit about the areas they have 'control over'. They can sell right out of shirts, Heineken, pies, desso door mats or any other merchandised shite as far as I'm concerned.

If I see a winning team giving it's all then that is enough for me. Obviously I'm not a very good 'customer'.

Just been down to the club shop to part with money to buy the boy this season's kit.

Imagine my surprise to discover they've sold out of the home kit in the age we require... Really?

Not to worry, I'll buy him the away kit instead. Nope - not released yet!!! Despite the new season being 10 days away.

Absolutely flabbergasted that I've still got £50 in my pocket and somewhat upset that this side of the club is being run so poorly.

Get your self down to Swillsboro. There'll be plenty of football kits there - well nobody else would want to buy them.

This attitude that if the football is good then people shouldn't have feelings on other areas of the club if they're not positive is slightly North Koreaesque to me.

Likewise this same mentality that any observation if negative automatically qualifies as just looking for something to whinge or moan about, is equally ridiculous.

The catering is provided by Compass. How many more times?
On behalf of Sheffield United. They can't just hide behind Compass. It's up to United to manage their sub-contractors. I can't say it's my biggest bugbear, we've always had to queue for stuff at half time, long before concepts such as outsourcing but it seems to piss a lot of people off.
Maybe the bottom line is that there just aren't enough outlets in the ground but if we can make improvements, we should look to do so. There should be enough expertise within the McCabe empire to set up some relevant KPIs, if not now, when we renew the contract.

Back
Top Bottom