Have you ever caught the ball when in the crowd?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was in row v on the Kop, reading my programme and the team were shooting in before the match.I received a almighty crack on the back of my head from a stray shot that had cannoned off a seat behind me.I sat there trying to look hard with my glasses round my chin and trying not to rub my head.My ears were still ringing when the teams came out.

Had me in stitches that one. :D

That match was the first time Bert saw United play. Sat on the very back row of the Cantilever Stand (as it was known in those days).
Come to think of it, a lot of the old timers still described Wednesday's ground as "Owlerton"
My late Uncle (1927-2009) always called the ground "Owlerton"

Highlights of that 2-2 draw was shown on ATV in the next day. Would love to know if the footage still exists?

Barnsley away in FA cup !
We won 1-0 Agana pen on final whistle Bob Booker wellies ball into crowd I caught it stuffed it up my jumpers and took it home ⚽
Had it years until my lad used it as a his footie

Think it was after the kick off when Blades fans threw eggs from the back of the Kop which splattered many spectators further down

Cheers for that, knew you wouldn't let me down.

It's a shame you can't vent your displeasure at opposing fans in such a way now instead of trying to fracture their skulls or set them on fire!

no but i got a tooth knocked out by a wayward peschisolido shot in training:D

That match was the first time Bert saw United play. Sat on the very back row of the Cantilever Stand (as it was known in those days).
Come to think of it, a lot of the old timers still described Wednesday's ground as "Owlerton"
This is the equaliser. Not sure who scored the own goal. My guess would be Matthewson (on ground)

GetAttachmentThumbnail

I've a memory of being at a home game, must have been in the mid 90's, when a fella needed the St. John ambulance on the kop. As they were carrying him towards the ambulances a stray shot hit him and knocked the poor sod out of the stretcher. Can anyone verify this at all?

I've a memory of being at a home game, must have been in the mid 90's, when a fella needed the St. John ambulance on the kop. As they were carrying him towards the ambulances a stray shot hit him and knocked the poor sod out of the stretcher. Can anyone verify this at all?

A very young James Wallace?

In the late 70's , Castleford half back Bruce Burton called me a "stupid little bastard" for not giving him the ball as he sought to take a quick tap following a kick to touch I fielded, preferring instead to launch it instead in the direction of the back of the stand as Hunslet sought to arrange their defence.

There's always a ball at the touch line now waiting for a quick tap afters it's been kicked into touch.

I did catch mine at the Oldham game!!! Jumped to celebrate Billys first and sat down abit quick! ooooooooooooyer....
It's that twisted denim, low balls, quick movement effect, I nipped the leftun good n proper!

+1 today, punched away a powerful shot during the Blades warmup at Bury.

Something a little light hearted...........

Thinking about GB's post got me thinking about balls going into the crowd.

I keep telling my nipper - the ball has never come anywhere near me.....EVER !..........Grrrrrrrr. - and been going near on 50 years.

Any stories about having your head knocked off? leaping up like a salmon, catch it in both hands followed by great applause from the crowd? having an assist like GB's dad?

UTB

I have caught and trapped the ball many times in the 60s when a ball boy covering the cricket pitch . Giving the ball back it was

When losing it was always quick give me the fucking ball , when winning it was always slow take your time , take your fucking time .

UTB

I did the despicable act of ducking when the ball was heading straight for me. It smashed the kid behind me sock in the lughole. Everbody around me was tutting and shaking their heads. So I went for a piss and went and sat somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom